[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a western equivalent to the romance of the three kingdoms?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: 3kingdoms.jpg (191 KB, 1152x864) Image search: [Google]
3kingdoms.jpg
191 KB, 1152x864
Is there a western equivalent to the romance of the three kingdoms?
>>
Every Roman civil war ever?
>>
Maybe greek city states : athens, sparta, thebes.
>>
You need to explain further what are the requirements of this equivalent going to be.

I don't think there is a single historical novel set in any Western interregnum that had a comparable success to ROTK.
>>
>>770695
Could happen, someone should make a chivalric romance version of the Peloponnesian War
>>
>>770687
GHame of THrones desu senpai
>>
File: 81729_1.jpg (219 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
81729_1.jpg
219 KB, 1200x1200
>>
Definitely the Crisis of the Roman Republic
>>
>>770687
Homer's Troy or Julius Caesar
>>
England during the Renaissance
>>
>>770687
Crisis of the Third century maybe? It was basically Rome going through the same shit, at about the same time even.
>>
>>770687
The wars between Alexander sucessors? It's full of exoticism, great and petty men, lots of armies clashing etc.
>>
>>770802
>>770757
>>770709
OP here, never said "Fall of the Han", I meant more of a heavily fictionalized knighthood rommance story told parting from real historical events.

Stories like the Shahnameh of Persia or the Illiad from Greece come close, however they draw way to much from fiction.
>>
What the fuck do you mean by romance? Like love stories and shit?
>>
>>770825
>I meant more of a heavily fictionalized knighthood rommance story told parting from real historical events.

The Matter of Britain and the Matter of France? There's also the Alexander Romance.
>>
>>770825
The Alexiad is the closest thing I can think of, but a lot of it is more straight biography than knightly romance.
>>
>>770825
Illiad?
>>
>>770825
Like el Cid you mean? There is also the
"Les Quatre gran cronicas" or the four great chronicles from the Aragonese kings , more history with very little romance but interesting to read for all the crazy shit they do, with my prefered bunch of murder hobos removing kebab from Anatolia.
>>
>>770687
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter_of_Britain
>The Matter of Britain is a name given collectively to the body of medieval literature and legendary material associated with Great Britain, and sometimes Brittany, and the legendary kings and heroes associated with it, particularly King Arthur.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter_of_France
>The Matter of France, also known as the Carolingian cycle, is a body of literature and legendary material associated with the history of France, in particular involving Charlemagne and his associates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter_of_Rome
> the Matter of Rome was the literary cycle made up of Greek and Roman mythology, together with episodes from the history of classical antiquity, focusing on military heroes like Alexander the Great and Julius Caesar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_romance
>The Romance of Alexander is any of several collections of legends concerning the mythical exploits of Alexander the Great.
>>
>>770687
yeah it's called the entire history of Germany, France and England
>>
File: 1378866017458.png (211 KB, 323x810) Image search: [Google]
1378866017458.png
211 KB, 323x810
>>770687
British history is being written on Wikipedia so that there is a now-called "Three Kingdoms" period for us.

Go check it out. It's amazing the mental gymnastics they're doing in the discussion page.
>>
>>770687
the war of roses
>>
>>771000
>British history is being written on Wikipedia so that there is a now-called "Three Kingdoms" period for us.

Are you talking about the kingdoms of England, Scotland and Ireland?
>>
>>771005
No, I'm talking about Wu, Shu and Wei :)
>>
>>771016

Are you suggesting that the idea of a three kingdoms period is a British invention?
>>
>>771022
No, I'm suggesting titling the wikipedia article as such is an unoriginal RTK-fan's invention.

Gotta downplay the central English role and that they shared one king, you know?
>>
>>771028
The War of the Three kingdoms was what allowed Cromwell to seize power though.
It was already called that in 1790.
>>
>>771033
>It was already called that in 1790.
Citation?
I mean that must be why they had to do an article renaming, but it was already called that...
>>
>>771038

He's wrong.
>James Heath in his book A Brief Chronicle of all the Chief Actions so fatally Falling out in the three Kingdoms, first published in 1662
>1662
>>
>>771042
>one book in 1662
Anything else that indicates it was part of a wider name acceptance?
Because it literally wasn't until VERY recently. One cherrypicked author from that era doesn't exactly change that.
>>
>>771048

It was a war between three kingdoms. What else is it going to be called? You seem gigantically butthurt about this but I have no idea why.
>>
>>770835
"Romance of the Three Kingdoms" is the English title of a classical Chinese novel about the Warring States period.
>>
>>771059
It had working names before wikipedia passed modern sentence.
You seem gigantically butthurt about this but I have no idea why.
>>
>>771065

You're clearly autistic so I'll just leave you be.
>>
>>771067
I'm sorry you lack the ability to use sources besides wikipedia and resort to childish name-calling when challenged. Good luck with that in the future.
>>
>>770702
War of roses bastardized
>>
War of the Roses desu fampai.
>>
File: kourinta_giffi.gif (1 MB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
kourinta_giffi.gif
1 MB, 600x600
>>770825
Kalevala
>>
No one mentions the Arthurian cycles, thats the closest we got imho
Or maybe parts of the old testament
>>
>>770695
Probably, but the scale would be so much smaller. At best, they were fighting with couple thousands each?
>>
>>770825
Alexander Romance, King Arthur, Song of Roland
>>
>>770835
you're on a /his/ board and you don't know what the historical/literary definition of "romance" is?
>>
The Iliad, Arthurian legend, Golden Legend.
>>
>>770825
Das Nibelungenlied
>>
>>770825
The Aeneid :^) we wuz trojans and shiet i aint bullshittin ya now get yo ass back on dat wolf teat
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.