[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who do you discuss with /his/? >Only one friend who is really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
File: 98372.jpg (2 MB, 5898x3627) Image search: [Google]
98372.jpg
2 MB, 5898x3627
Who do you discuss with /his/?

>Only one friend who is really good for reasoned debate
>Often discuss environmentalism, economics, religion and history
>Very fast at understanding ideas and finding issues/resolutions of said ideas
>Tolerates me bringing radical philosophies to the table for discussion, and engages the ideas in good will
>Extremely devout Lutheran, and voted conservative in the last election despite having a very liberal group of friends (I spoiled my vote)
>NEVER talks about banalities or gossip

god bless
>>
File: 1406634301343.jpg (7 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1406634301343.jpg
7 KB, 200x150
Why don't you ask him out, anon?
>>
>>768551
two people
>an academically successful physics major that got a job at a prestigious college that I have severe inferiority issues with
>an alcoholic history major that I was friends with from middle school that claims to be a giant scumbag but actually isn't
>>
>>768551
A depressed philosophy student and a Jew.
>>
You should do like the Greeks and [spoiler]phalanx that ass[/spoiler]
>>
>>768909

kek
>>
I just talk to myself.
No one I know has been a good discuss-er. Either lacked interest, lacked faculties, or lacked a cool head.
Once I find that someone I'll marry them.
>>
>>769390
this tbqh
>tfw no philosophical gf
>>
>>
File: 1406243983672.jpg (59 KB, 919x720) Image search: [Google]
1406243983672.jpg
59 KB, 919x720
>>768897
>alcoholic history major
That part is me.
>>
Friend of mine who goes to uni in another state, sadly.
>>
just you guys
>>
>>768897

Why does he claim to be a bad person
>>
>>770249
this one yours, albert?
>>
>>770370
Generally people do this either because they loath themselves and feel that they deserve such a brand, or they simply wish for a free pass to act like a dick and make their generous actions seem all the more generous. It's almost always the former though.

t. person who also claims to be a bad person
>>
tfw no buddy irl to talk /his/ with
>>
My only friend is a neet whos only interested in money, video games and women. He's a good friend but goddamn is he slow and annoying sometimes, he doesn't care about history or philosophy at all.
>>
>>768551
Ever since i turned right no one, all my philosophy interested friends think im kind of a pariah and they always think im just playing devil advocate so don't engage in conversation with me anymore

Im kind of just trolling half the time doe, so they are not wrong

I used to argue against weed legalization with a joint in my hand, that was when people catched up to what i was doing, pushed it too far i guess

Whenever normal friends get into subjects i like i get all excited and blurt out big chunks of convulted thought, so now im also autistic
>>
>>770594
You can also just have a strong moral sense and be honest about your psychological innability to live up to them
>>
>>768551
Around me, most people who pretend to have an interest in history just have their two or three favourite conspiracy theories that they keep repeating.

So I stick to just listening to old folks about how things were. It may only be recent-ish history, but it's way more interesting than all that leftist and rightist bullcrap my younger acquaintances spout.
>>
only this one guy that's a friend of mine from college. But he's got: a) severe mental issues b) an alcoholism addiction c) a marijuana addiction. All of that would be fine. But while he is kind of a knowledgeable guy, right now he is in such a downward spiral that he simply listens to me and then whenever I say something that rings a bell to one of his static opinions he either angrily agrees with me or angrily disagrees with me. He was a really cool guy, but right now I can't help but see him as a toxic influence in my life
Where the fuck are you guys from anyway?
>>
>>768551
>Who do you discuss with /his/?
My dad, but he died last year so no one.
>>
>a very left-leaning, book-smart and passionate philosopher who has slight issues with alcohol and cigarettes. Is always willing and able to go meta and an interesting person to discuss philosophy and politics with.
>a politically neutral, slightly neurotic biochem engineer with whom I've had the greatest bonding and discussions ever with. I also unwillingly harbor a slight inferiority complex towards him for his indomitable spirit and capability of advancing himself both physically and mentally.
>they're both bi and I'm unfortunately straight, creating some uncomfortable tensions for me when we bond. I'm sure I'm just imagining things though.
>>
>>768551

A range of friends, the main problem being that they are all Marxists up to a certain degree because of growing up in East Germany.

I seem to be the first "intellectual conservative" they have ever met, so we enjoy getting drunk and battling it out between us.

Gets a little tiring if it is not done bilateral though, since nothing is more boring than arguing against several people who all more or less believe in the same thing.
>>
>>770917
Sexuality is a choice anon
You should fuck them
>>
My wife

She is a studio art major who is a serious history buff, and me a mechanical engineer

Weird mix but interesting perspectives keep discussion interesting
>>
File: 1456037674845.jpg (69 KB, 497x720) Image search: [Google]
1456037674845.jpg
69 KB, 497x720
>My Grandfather, a Canadian America-boo who's in love with the ideals of the American West and frontiersmen. Loves World War 2 history discussions, but he's incredibly hard headed and purposefully ignorant when I introduce ideas vaguely out of the territories of the last 3 centuries, or something that conflicts with what he learned in the 1970s. Very much a literal person, you can't use hyperbole or metaphors with him.
>My brother, a far right all-round German fan who is an expert on Nazi and Prussian politics and warfare. Incredibly racist, and likes to rant due to anxiety disorders, but is very attentive of my interests and loves to hear me talk about anything he does not know. I'm also one of the only people that can reason with him when he's in his panic attacks and screaming about jews.
>My best friend, who loves the Wild West and World War 1, a self-aware weeb with a penchant for preferring me to talk so he doesn't have to. Bros for life, we can just spend hours at a time just chilling and talking about whatever, but not actually doing anything.
>A biology major in my university. ADD, slightly SJW and mildly autistic, loves HEMA and medieval warfare, and has a penchant for cutting you off without noticing it. Fun to talk about ancient warfare and compare ideas.
>>
>>770870
The Confederate Republic of North American States
>>
>>771512
>She is a studio art major who is a serious history buff, and me a mechanical engineer
Ohhh, I wanna tax you two so bad.
>>
>>770249
Me on the right
>>
>>768551
1. Best friend who I debate with regularly.
2. Gf, kinda, it's usually more me explaining things, but it works to bounce ideas off of.
>>
I tend to argue loudly and passionately in my classes and then when I leave, I proceed to never bring this shit up ever again, in order to retain my sanity
>>
File: sad_frog.jpg (7 KB, 316x202) Image search: [Google]
sad_frog.jpg
7 KB, 316x202
I talk to myself in the car.
>>
>>771987
I don't get the reference?
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.