[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm not sure where to put this, but since I've seen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 168
Thread images: 8
File: 41241421.jpg (24 KB, 585x510) Image search: [Google]
41241421.jpg
24 KB, 585x510
I'm not sure where to put this, but since I've seen discussions about philosophy and psychology related topics here, I thought it would be appropriate.

Is gender a social construct?
>>
No. But people have redefined to to be.
>>
There is social constructed part and other part that isn't.
>>
I'd say that there is most certainly a real and tangible sex, but a certain role doesn't necessarily follow.

Though, by virtue of being culturally enforced, it shouldn't matter.
>>
>>760429
>>760442
This, but I would add the social part is heavily influenced by the biological part. Modern people want to believe in tabula rasa, the idea that all people are inherently the same mentally. This is not true, this is not anywhere close to true, this is THE definitive lie of our age.

Gender is formed by culture, and culture is formed by a combination of individuals, the environment, and most importantly BIOLOGY.
>>
>>760453
Define 'necessarily' follow. Its pretty much common sense that the sex with the bigger muscles would do most of the fighting and heavy labor, and that the race with higher testosterone, the drive to compete [for mates, among other things], and again larger muscles [for simple domination] would hold most leadership positions.
>>
Furthermore:

Is gender something that is fluid or stable?

Is transgenderism simply a mental illness that has not been pathologised?
>>
>>760475
Transgenderism is a mental illness by definition, the people subjected to it suffer a delusion that they are the opposite sex. Males and females have different brain wiring, and transgender persons have wiring that is more akin to that of the opposite gender. They objectively have a neurological condition.

The real question is whether reassignment is a sufficient treatment for it. But given that while bodily dysphoria goes down after reassignment, chance of suicide goes UP, I do not think that it is.

We've yet to find out what causes this ailment, but my guess is prenatal.
>>
>>760475
Gender Dysphoria is legit mental disorder.
>>
>>760467
Get your head out of your ass.
>>
>>760469
The reason I used "necessarily" is just that, while in humans, it is true that most males are often physically larger/stronger, in other species, like say, the Jacana bird, where the females are larger (as well as sexually dominant), it comes down to a question of which group has the strength.

I was just attempting to tackle the abstraction of gender.
>>
It is, but for some reason people think our biology is much responsible for it. We are social beings because it worked far better for gathering food abd secure reproduction. It's not just a soft illusion that can be completely destroyed.
>>
>>760782
Our biology is not*
>>
Yes, but it's also influenced by biology. John Money was a pedophile and a crook.
>>
Do you mean gender or "gender"?
Because "gender" is clearly a social construct, invented in the '50s to subsume aspects of both the grammatical category previously called gender, and the biological term sex
>>
Epigenetics.
>>
>>760429
>/his/ - History & Humanities
>>
>>760988
Gender studies is not part of STEM thank god
>>
>>760429
As a synonymous to sex it is not.

In the re-defined version post-modernists use it technically is but so are all those tumblr genders therefore engaging in any debate regarding it is stupid.
>>
>>760482
>But given that while bodily dysphoria goes down after reassignment, chance of suicide goes UP, I do not think that it is.
The statistics you are referring to prove otherwise.

Suicide rate for post-reassignment individuals is still higher than for healthy people(no shit Sherlock, they're mentally ill) but lower than for pre-reassignment, the whoever-made-it infographic shows both numbers and for some reason claims otherwise, typical inability to understand statistics as shown by like 99% of people including majority of researchers.
>>
>>760429
Kind of. It exists, but what exactly it means can vary from culture to culture.
>>
>>760429
No, but belief that gender is a social construct is a social construct. It will stay, brace your anus.
>>
>>760429
Gender classifications/categories are social constructs.
>>
>>760429
There are three concepts at play here: sex, gender in the traditional sense, and gender in the post-1960s sense.
Sex is straightforwardly biological, so it's not a social construct.
Gender in the traditional sense just refers to a linguistic property of languages, where some words are partitioned into categories like masculine/feminine or animate/inanimate based on how they work in some language. This is a social construct in the sense that all language is a social construct, but otherwise it's not. It's just a property of languages.
Gender in the sense it's used today did not even exist as a concept a century ago, so it's pretty safe to say it's a social construct.
>>
>>761442
>Gender in the sense it's used today did not even exist as a concept a century ago, so it's pretty safe to say it's a social construct.
Doesn't this mean that every concept is a social construct? What would be the point?
>>
>>761450
>Not that anon but here's a definition of a social construct.

>a social construct is an idea or notion that appears to be natural and obvious to people who accept it but may or may not represent reality.
>>
>>761460
So yes?
>>
>>761442
>Gender in the sense it's used today did not even exist as a concept a century ago, so it's pretty safe to say it's a social construct.
The concept of a third gender other than those corresponding with sex such as the hijra, sekhet, or the six genders of the Talmud, as well as eunuchs in some cultures, are thousands of years old.

>>761468
yes
>>
>>761468
>>761492
Not me

>Doesn't this mean that every concept is a social construct?

No, as a basic example, mathematics.

>What would be the point?

Really nigga.
>>
File: Women-Carrying-heavy-loads.png (209 KB, 282x331) Image search: [Google]
Women-Carrying-heavy-loads.png
209 KB, 282x331
>>760469
>Define 'necessarily' follow. Its pretty much common sense that the sex with the bigger muscles would do most of the heavy labor,

Peasant women historically do heavy labor.
>>
>>761496
The Greeks didn't have the notion of irrational number, are they a social construct?
Every mathematical idea developed in a precise moment in history
>>
>>760429
No, but how someone of that gender should be is.
Basically, what I'm saying is: having a penis or a vagina isn't a social construct. Wearing pants or a skirt is.
>>
>>761537
>having a penis or a vagina isn't a social construct. Wearing pants or a skirt is.
The first one is called sex. The second one is called gender.
>>
>>761442
>Einstein relativity changed the idea of gravity, shifting it from a interaction between two corpses with mass for a deformation in the space-time
>this concept was created in the last century, so it's obviously a social construct

See how dumb your deduction is?
>>
>>761553
Yeah, yeah, that was poorly worded, I get it already
Frankly I don't care enough about this shit to go into more depth or correct my mistakes on a Chinese cartoon board, so I'm abandoning ship
>>
>be me
>see this topic
>history and humanities
>control f
>God not found
Let's not forget who established the rules from for sex and "gender" from the very beginning.

baka desu senpai
>>
>>760429

"Gender" isn't really one thing.
>>
>>760459
I agree with your general premise, Tabula Rasa is bullshit but

> culture is formed by a combination of individuals, the environment, and most importantly BIOLOGY.
Biology isn't close to being the most important factor in forming culture.
>>
File: 1425638694-1421953322327.jpg (152 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1425638694-1421953322327.jpg
152 KB, 960x960
>>760429
>>
>>763469
This image seems to have been made by a retard tbqh
>>
>>763503
Yeah, it would be like picking some well-dressed slaves and comparing them to a black person dead of gang violence to say slavery was better for them.
>>
>>763526

Just judging by the metric that the more dicks a women has had in her, the more damaged she is; sexual liberation was the worst thing for women (and men).
>>
>>763540
>sexual liberation was the worst thing for women (and men).

I'd say the fact marital rape was perfectly legal until the 70s-90s in the US, in a society where marriage was all but foisted upon women by an economy structured against them, was worse.

But hey, your sexual hangups are obviously worse.
>>
>>763550
>marital rape
Tumblr please fucking go. Your post reeks of feminism.

You're arguing with kind of victim complex bias. Women had more choice of who they wanted to marry in the United States than anywhere else in the world. Why are you making consensual marriage out to be a bad thing? If it's leading into your last point about economics making it so women had to depend on men; it still works in a similar fashion. Men just get screwed out of their end.
>>
>>763550
>marital rape used to be a thing
>so you can't look critically at the sexual revolution
>>
>>760429
No.

>>760453
"You'd say"?

>>760475
Gender means sex. Your sex does not change.
>Is transgenderism simply a mental illness that has not been pathologised?
Yes.
>>
>>763574
Man wants sex, wife says no, man forces her into sex. It's not fucking rocket science, you goddamn moron. The fact that society was structured to keep women out of work, and hamper their financial independence means that this was a losing proposition for them. The sexual revolution was a good thing for women because it gave them the power to see to their own well-being as they see fit.

>>763578
I never said anything of the sort. I just said that something like that is probably worse than women being allowed to fuck casually.
>>
>>763584
>Gender means sex

Source?
>>
>>760475
It's a mental illness that was depathologized
>>
>>763621
>Source?
Look down the barrel of a loaded shotgun and pull the trigger, you'll find it there, sourcefag.
>>
>>763621
Male and Female are genders. Your gender is the same as your sex, and there are two sexes: male and female.

An animal can have a gender. Its gender is its sex.
>>
>>763594
So wait. Someone you know really well and dedicated your life to wants some casual sex and you say no because some kind of power struggle issue you have, or possibly low labido, and the man says "fuck this" and "rapes" you. How is this a big problem? Compared to actual historic accounts of rape that seems very mild. I'm not even going to acknowledge it going forward because the notion is ridiculous. Don't marry someone who you think is going to rape you. Don't say "NO" because you want him to take out the trash. Be actually attracted to your life partner. Problem solved.

Our views differ so i'm going to try to give you some ground alright?

Lets say for the sake of your argument the sexual revolution was actually good for women.

Was it good for men? Was it good for the species?

You obviously know where i'm going with this. Defiling millenia-long institutions that evolved to protect the species for some temporary liberty. Incredibly short sited. Now look where we are, the spectrum is reversing to fall back into natural order. Nobody is getting married anymore, men and women are both not happy even though right now in this time period is the easiest it's ever been for men to get sex. Could it be men also want some kind of commitment? Fidelity? It's important to both sexes in different ways.

I would also like to note by resorting to insults and sarcasm you are showing your weakness in your own ideals; i would recommend you stop if you want anyone to take you seriously.
>>
>>763633
>>763635
I don't really care about all the 'I identify as a transhomonigger' shit. But you are wrong, sex and gender aren't the same thing.

>Gender is the range of characteristics pertaining to, and differentiating between, masculinity and femininity. Depending on the context, these characteristics may include biological sex (i.e. the state of being male, female or intersex), sex-based social structures (including gender roles and other social roles), or gender identity.

Ok as an example, I like to go camping and shooting, I'd like a gf that likes this too (and I had one for a while) would this count as something masculine?
>>
>>763638
>Be actually attracted to your life partner.

Fuck off. The obvious solution then is to never marry.

>Was it good for men?

Who cares? It's not up to men to decide what women do with themselves?

>Was it good for the species?

Irrelevant. Besides, we don't have enough data to make a conclusion there.

>You obviously know where i'm going with this. Defiling millenia-long institutions that evolved to protect the species for some temporary liberty. Incredibly short sited. Now look where we are, the spectrum is reversing to fall back into natural order. Nobody is getting married anymore, men and women are both not happy even though right now in this time period is the easiest it's ever been for men to get sex. Could it be men also want some kind of commitment? Fidelity? It's important to both sexes in different ways.

Don't care, still not your place to decide for women, and I hope if you ever try to force the yoke back on women, you suffer for the attempt.

>I would also like to note by resorting to insults and sarcasm you are showing your weakness in your own ideals; i would recommend you stop if you want anyone to take you seriously.

No, it shows my complete and utter disdain for you. I hate you. Pure, absolute, hatred is what I feel for you.
>>
>>763652

So are you going to concede to the fact that you're a short-sited, ill-tempered, irrational person incapable of making an argument for your cause? I have concluded you are a women, so this would all make sense.
>>
>>763652
>Who cares about men?
Sums up your entire position. Thanks for your input.
>>
>>763670
No, I admit to hating you, and not desiring to see half of humanity kept as slaves to the other half, you piece of human garbage. If humanity can't prosper with us all free, then we don't fucking deserve to prosper. We either adapt, or we die. I for one would refuse to live as a slave, and I refuse to keep anyone as a slave.

>>763671
I didn't say who cares about men. I said who cares if something like that had negative repercussions on men. If men suffer for the freedom of women, why should that be the women's problem? I'm sure plantation owners suffered for the freedom of their slaves.
>>
Gender is the social manifestation of biological differences between the sexes. Gender=sex for 99%+ of people. Only those with disorders identify with the gender that is the opposite of their sex.
>>
>>763685
Gender dialectics is probably the most decrepit method of discourse ever presented. Hopefully you'll come to realize that one day, my faux-freedom-fighter friend.
>>
>>763685

You're mixing morality with objective facts and building your platform on your radical uncited opinions. The worst part is that I am unable to undo the damage done to you by decades of institutional feminism. I would if i could but i simply don't have the time today and i wouldn't know where to start.

If you hate me, keep doing what you're doing now. Know that i don't hate you; i'm just sorry that i can't help.
>>
>>763651
>But you are wrong, sex and gender aren't the same thing.
Yes, they are. Male and female are the two genders, and male and female are the two sexes. Sex and gender are synonyms. Or are male and female not the two genders?

>range of characteristics
What is this bullshit feminist definition?

>would this count as something masculine?
It doesn't matter. A feminine male is still a male in sex and gender.

>>763685
>kept as slaves
>being loyal to your counterpart half of the population is being a slave
>>
>>763716
>being loyal to your counterpart half of the population is being a slave
>being all but forced into marriage through an economic system designed to hobble you and leave you dependent on a man, and then voiding your right to ever say no afterwards
>not a slave

Women are still expected to be loyal to their partners. Cheating is still considered a big deal. You'd know that if you ever left the house and interacted with other human beings.
>>
>>763716
>Or are male and female not the two genders

You seem to only be talking about gender identity, try to look at it from an anthropology perspective.
>>
>>763652
Women's liberation is not functional. Western societies are failing to secure the most basic of necessity of survival, a sustainable birth rate. It is wholly necessary for society to place upon women the expectation that women must have children and it is not a bad thing to sacrifice any and all career prospects to achieve this. The majority of women when left to their own devices will only have sex with a small proportion of the most attractive men. This is hard-wired into their biology. This has been proven by analysis of DNA from the stone age, analysis of trends on dating apps and in the fact that women perceive 80% of men as being below average levels of attractiveness. Unfortunately this leaves a large deal of unsatisfied and upset men. Monogamy is therefore the foundation of civilisation; without it there are large numbers of upset and dissatisfied men, which cannot lead to a stable and cohesive society. Its breakdown (hookup culture etc) has profound long term implications. The ever rising male suicide rate is partially attributable to this trend. Ideals of freedom are all very well, but when they begin clash with human nature and allow such problems to develop, practicality must take precedent.
>>
>>763716
>Or are male and female not the two genders?
Masculine and feminine are the two genders in English. Some languages have a third gender, neuter. Others have animate and inanimate genders instead, or even weirder divisions.
>>
>>761733
Lol? The only other major factor is geography/environment.
>>
>>760429
Only partially. It reinforces biological tendencies.
>>
>>763783
Pretty sure a lot of it is purely arbitrary stuff that just becomes traditions, so like celebrating at the winter solstice (environment), the timing is due to environment, but how it's done in a culture is sort of arbitrary, yule, santa clause, whatever shit they used to do at stonehenge etc.
>>
Define gender and sex and vote who agrees the most. But in either way we are pretty much determined by our biology
>>
>>763638
Marriage is not a 'millenia-long' institution you mong.

But then again you're trying to argue that martial rape isn't a real thing, so you're clearly a retard.

I understand that you're salty because you can't get laid in this post sexual revolution society or whatever, but I'll be quite honest, considering you're most likely a NEET, I don't think you would have been very successful in the pre sexual revolution society either.

Remember, pre-revolution society required that you actually be a valuable human being. Post only requires that a woman sees you as valuable.

What I'm saying is that the odds are probably more in men's favor now, and you're still a failure.
>>
>>763764
>It is wholly necessary for society to place upon women the expectation that women must have children and it is not a bad thing to sacrifice any and all career prospects to achieve this.

The world is overpopulated and running out of resources, why do you insist that we need more babies?
>>
>>763807
Sure for the nitty-gritty specifics that's true but in a general sense biology, environment, and geography are the only major factors in determining culture. Histories that influence them are ultimately derived from these.
>>
>>760429
>gender is a social construct
>people can be born the wrong gender
Personally, I think we should abolish all other subjects and teach only logic until Western civilisation stops attempting to commit suicide. Sage.
>>
>>763838
Gender identity issues exist. That is something normal and empowering is different faggot.
>>
>>763832
He's probably a /pol/-tard obsessed with the idea that the brown people are going to overrun us or some shit.
>>
>>763822
>Marriage is not a 'millenia-long' institution you mong.
Wtf? Yeah it is dipshit, our marriage laws and ideas surrounding it are (were) taken from the Romans.
>>
>>763832
By all predictions based on fertility rates and so forth, human population will peak in the next century and then start to decline. And the current capitalist system is set up in such a way that it can only sustain itself so long as there is constant growth. Put these two together, and you get widespread economic collapse on a scale we may have never seen before.
>>
>>763764
Also you're understanding of what women are attracted to is wrong.

Scientifically, we know that simply visual aesthetics are not as important to women as men.

Women seek successful confident men.

If you want to take this back to the stone-age deal, think of it this way. Dirk Strongjaw may look attractive, but even with his good looks, he's a fucking moron, and can't do basic shit.
Meanwhile, Lumberjack Dave can build a house, and provide food, and protection, etc.

In modern times this equates to social value, ie: money or status.

Not to mention that the 'handsome male' archetype that you're probably imagining, you know, the ottermode aesthetics? Not actually that functional. You ever see dudes who lift trucks? Yeah, they're thick, and they're thick because they need the thickness to protect the structures of their body.

(cont'd)
>>
>>763764
>>763861
Also, just basic logic tells you that if you're equating women's sexuality to men's, you already know from being on 4chan that there are a litany of dudes who are obsessed with fucking chicks from skeleton skinny to landwhale, as well as varying degrees of ugly, because of whatever bizzare fetish they have.

What makes you think that women don't have the same bizzare afflictions?
>>
>>763832
Some parts of earth are, some are not. It's not as simple as 'DERE BE TOO MANY HUMANS!!!".
>>
>>763852
>capitalist system is set up in such a way that it can only sustain itself so long as there is constant growth

I never got why such a sort sighted system is so readily used, well I guess I get it, but man putting psychopaths who don't give a shit about what happens to everyone else after they're dead doesn't seem like an intelligent system.
>>
>>763852
Yeah, but the Earth is of a finite size, and we don't have any options that are currently or near-future feasible to expand to another planet, so put 'limited space' and 'constant growth' together, and you quickly see an equation that doesn't fucking work, you dip.

I'd also like to see these predictions.
>>
>>763876
It's the failure of our democratic system that has essentially lead to a plutocracy in which the rich decide how the world is run
>>
>>763876
Because it's unfortunately the best system that meshes with basic human psychology. It's also the freest system, desu.

Communism would require a very specific kind of social conditioning to work effectively.
>>
>>763885
To be fair, though it's the apathy of the populace that led to the failure of the democratic system. Not to mention the propagandizing.

Many of the current failings of America's democracy were pointed out and warned against by the founding fathers.
>>
>>763881
>>763876
Constant economic growth is only necessary because of constant population growth you fuckwits.
>>
>>763716
Retard, gender refers to the behaviors associated societally with a certain sex.

IE: women wear dresses, men wear pants. That is a social gender construct, you mong.

Just because you don't know what words mean doesn't mean you get to redefine them.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gender

Also, if you payed attention in elementary school you'd know that synonym does not mean 'identical'.
>>
>>763890
Not that anon, but even trying to sustain our current level will eventually collapse (or at least vastly reduce in size), I'm not talking in our lifetime, but depletion of fossil fuels, inorganic fertilisers etc are inevitable.
>>
>>763630
It's not been depathologized you retard. Gender dysphoria is still a mental disorder, and non-retarded transgenders are aware they have it.

Clearly being 'born in the wrong body' is a disorder, it's not the same thing as being gay.
>>
>>763881
>I'd also like to see these predictions.
Look up the UN World Population Prospects Report. (Although it's a bit different, the developed world will peak in the next century, the world as a whole might take another half century after that.)
>>
>>763822
>Marriage is not a 'millenia-long' institution you mong.

Yes it is. I didn't think i needed to cite this.

>But then again you're trying to argue that martial rape isn't a real thing, so you're clearly a retard.

I was arguing that it's a mild form of rape that's holding way too much bearing in the conversation and is almost completely irrelevant no matter how stupid i think it is.

>haha neet faggot
Cool ad hom. Just because you're taking jabs at my ego; I'm not neet. I get laid frequently. I'm salty because i can't find a suitable female by my own metrics. If you're a traditionalist in modern America you would be salty too, it's fucked up.
>>
>>763847
They already have. Whether you're ok with that or not is up to you.
>>
>>763930
Where do you live? Haiti?
>>
>>763920
If you were a traditionalist you wouldn't be out there banging women casually, so really you're just a hypocrite.
>>
>>761499
It's almost as if gender roles are complicated and depend on more than one or two points of context. Do people really think our social structures are so simple and utilitarian? The fact that they're not is both a symptom and a cause of our intelligence as a species.

Your biological sex and your brain chemistry are things set by biology. Your role in society according to these things is a social construct. And we often blur the lines needlessly between these two things by making assumptions like those in the anon's post that you are quoting.
>>
File: Trafalgar Square.jpg (60 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
Trafalgar Square.jpg
60 KB, 600x399
>>763957
Britcuckistan.
>>
>>763959
Alright well you got me there. Luckily there's no social penalty for doing so, so here we are. I'm a modern male, i'm going to take advantage of my environment. Do i wish it was different? Yes. Am i going to stop banging loose products of feminism in my shitty college town? No.

So where does the buck stop? Humanity. Humanity is going to take the hit a little further down the road.
>>
>>763999
Yeah but why do you think that is? For the exact reason why you still bang women in your shitty college town. Everyone thinks that way. "I'm gonna get mine while the getting's good even though I don't like this situation and think it will lead to negative consequences in the long run."
>>
>>763920
>I'm not neet. I get laid frequently.

You're insecure enough to defend yourself online on an anonymous imageboard, so I doubt it.
>>
>>763920
>mild form of rape

Rape's rape, you fucking imbecile.
>>
>>764027

Most people are completely unaware or unwilling to consider the future when making their decisions. I'm worse than that, i know the implications of my actions.

You can read my feelings on western civilizations current trajectory throughout this entire thread. The sexual liberation of women is damaging society and making both sexes unhappy in the long run. Thousand of years of cultural evolution are not without their merit.
>>
>>764047
>Tradition is good because it's tradition, if it weren't good, why would it be tradition?

Yeah, ok then. Provide objective proof of your claims or fuck yourself.
>>
>>763919
Thomas Malthus predicted we'd all die of overpopulation in the 1800's, population bomb did the same thing in the 1970's. These scientific doomsday predictions, much like their religious counterparts, always seem to be pushed back. For some reason scientists can't understand that human ingenuity outpaces population growth
>>
>>764035
I have a vested interest in this thread. I'm not going to let someone dismiss my arguments by saying
>N-n-NEETFAG

>>764037
Alright so if I penetrate your mouth with my dick. That's rape.

What if penetrate your anus, mouth, and vagina while you're tied to a post in a sex dungeon for 3 days? Still equal footed rape? One is not worse than the other depending on the context?
>>
>>764037
Would you rather
A) Get roofied and fucked while unconscious
or..
B) Get assaulted, beaten and raped in a back alley

If you chose A), then rape isn't just rape you retard

Knowing women they'd probably ask which rapist was better looking
>>
>>764081
People like this are very basic. Like children who see in black and white. In this case like an angry child but still.

They likely to not see a difference.
>>
>>764059
Humanity surviving isn't good enough for you?
>>
>>764081
>I'm not going to let someone dismiss my arguments by saying

Yet you can't stop them. Also, the fact you can't distinguish between an insult and an argument just reveals further levels of insecurity.

>One is not worse than the other depending on the context?

The latter one is multiple crimes, instead of just one. Moron.
>>
>>764088
You haven't provided any proof that humanity wont adapt to and survive sexual revolution, or that the decline in birth rates in the developed world is a direct product of sexual revolution. You just assert wildly, because you're a bitter NEET who is mad that women wont touch his dick.
>>
>>764090
There are different ways of forcing people to rape... That alone means various types of rape are worse than others.

According to NZ law I was raped when I lost my virginity willingly to someone only 8 months older than me. Is that the same as a father anally raping his son?
>>
>>764101
>NZ

Oh wow, you live in one of the nations with the best standard of living on the planet, and you're still a bitter NEET? Amazing.

Also, edge case is edge case. The father would be committing assault and sexual assault, the violence changes the crime. But rape is still rape. Your fucking idiotic worldview would basically mean a woman loses he right to say no when she marries, to which the obvious solution to is for them to not marry, which they likely wouldn't, unless vile cretins like yourself twisted their hands through economics.
>>
>>764106
>edge case is edge case
No shit you fucking idiot, that would be the point. There are shades of rape, some less severe than others. There's no such thing as an edge case of murder.
>>
>>764090

If the backbone of your "rape is rape" argument is criminality then by law certain types of rape are certainly "worse" than others quantified by the mandatory minimum sentence of different degrees of sodomy.

>>764096
Because I can't. My argument i based on the development of western civilization. You are right. Correlation doesn't equal causation, i will concede my argument only if you admit there is a strong correlation between dropping birth rates and quantifiable happiness and the "sexual revolution" of women.
>>
>>764106

Dumb fuck, you just said there are varying shades of rape.
>>
>>764119
>i will concede my argument only if you admit there is a strong correlation between dropping birth rates and quantifiable happiness and the "sexual revolution" of women.

I don't have to make such a deal, you already made your concession with the offer. Thanks.
>>
>>764122
No, what I said is that there is an edge case in the law, you fucking dolt. Forcible sex with someone (rape) is rape.
>>
File: CQfrAOp.jpg (315 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
CQfrAOp.jpg
315 KB, 2048x1536
>>763876
Capitalism is "designed" to consume and grow, as such it will outcompete any other system until it collapses, if that happens.

I've seen it put like this

>Two species of rat on the island
>One spends it's time enjoying life
>Other spends it's time eating and fucking.
>eating and fucking rat outcompetes the fun loving rat
>Eventually consumes all the resources and starves
>cycle begins again

I'm just going to link you the essay because he explains it pretty elegantly, basically capitalism is an inevitability at the moment.

http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/07/30/meditations-on-moloch/

It's a long read and a lot of you probably dislike Scott Alexander but it's a good essay.

pic unrelated
>>
>>764081
>Alright so if I penetrate your mouth with my dick. That's rape.
>
>What if penetrate your anus, mouth, and vagina while you're tied to a post in a sex dungeon for 3 days? Still equal footed rape?

Yes. Rape is rape. Sexual assault is sexual assault. Why is this a hard concept for you to grasp? You're still sticking your undersized cock somewhere it isn't wanted.
>>
>>764143
So you are saying your definition is more correct than the law? What if I was 8 and wanted to have sex? Or are you one of those freaks who thinks children should be allowed to consent?

I could not legally consent, therefore I was unable to say yes, therefore I was forcibly raped. Its simple really.

I was actually raped. According to you my rape is as bad as any other.
>>
>>764166
Statutory rape is not the same as non-statutory rape. There is a distinction in the law because there is a distinction in the crime.

Are you stupid?
>>
>>764177
>Statutory rape
So... there are varying types of rape then?
>>
>>764177
"This rape is not the same as that rape but all rapes are the same."

Geeze, must be easy when life is that simple eh?
>>
>>764179
>>764190

The person you guys are arguing with has been moving the goalposts and resorting to adhom every single time they lose an argument. This has been going on for hours.

Person is either a troll or retarded. Not worth arguing with.
>>
>>764179
There are varying types of crime.

Statutory rape is different from rape in that it's always prosecuted. You broke a law of your country, you didn't commit a crime against a wronged party, exactly.

The crime is sexual activity without consent. Statutory rape is unique in that the question is not "was there given consent" but "was the other party able to consent considering their age?"

There are distinctions in law, yes. But rape as something that happens to someone? Getting raped in the mouth is just as traumatic as getting raped in the ass, and it's still the same thing, sexual activity without consent. Rape is rape, jesus christ.

Also you wouldn't be considered a rape case in the US, because of R&J laws.
>>
>>764197
Fair enough. I kind of hope he is a troll.
>>
>>764197
Alternatively, you're not arguing with the same person.

Damn you guys are myopic as fuck.
>>
>>764201
Honestly, I just don't like that guy and against common sense, decided to be an ass. Obviously there are differences in rape cases, usually in the form of entailing multiple crimes, though as >>764200 pointed out, statutory has a different question. But to call marital rape "mild" is fucking idiotic, as it can vary between "she laid there and took it, no violence occurred" to "he locked her in the basement and kept her as a sex slave." Marriage should not, under any circumstances, take away a woman's ability to say no, and it's shit like what that fucking imbecile want that will ensure that women don't want to get married.
>>
>>764200
Assuming the rapist was close to his age then it might not be illegal.

Are you now arguing that rape is rape despite countries clearly having a differing view of rape as you mentioned in your post?

Or is it just your group who happens to have it right?

I would rather be raped in the mouth than the ass. Im sure 99% of men would rather that. Does that make being raped in the mouth better (AKA different or not the same) as being raped in the ass?
>>
>>764221
>Does that make being raped in the mouth better (AKA different or not the same) as being raped in the ass?

I dunno, does getting your dick burned off with fire suck more than having your dick burned off with acid? They're both in the class of crime that's bad enough that trying to make judgements of its severity is a crapshoot.

Besides, you've ignored a crucial point here: being married to someone doesn't mean that rape is any less brutal.
>>
>>764190
Rape is one thing. Sex without consent. Oral sex without consent, anal sex without consent, vaginal, penile, etc.

It is one thing, and one thing only, sex without consent.

Saying you raped someone in the mouth and ass doesn't mean you SUPER raped them, it means you "sex-without-consented" * 2. It just means you committed more of the same crime.

This is a very simple concept.

Statutory rape is different because it's about the capability to give consent based on a single factor of age. It's about competency to consent, not about whether or not verbal or implied consent was given. In the eyes of the law, (at least in the US), a girl could have a fake ID and strip naked, present herself to you and beg you for dick, but if she was underage it was statutory rape. If she wasn't, it wasn't rape.
>>
>>764216
This.

Not to mention that divorce was a much more difficult process around the time that this was an issue.

It's not even hard to come up with a simple analogy to explain why it's a problem.

You hang out with your best friend. He offers to buy you food, you're not hungry, he buys you food and shoves it down your throat.

Are you okay with this? Is this okay?

Is this somehow different from someone else doing it to you?
>>
>>764216
Its the fact a women doesn't need to be married to gain financial security (through various government aids) that means women don't want to marry. Not rape.

Women get marriage benefits without having to be married. This is a huge reason why marriage is ending not because women are worried about being raped for not upholding their end of a relationship.
>>
>>764238
What the fuck are you even talking about?
>>
>>764238
>(through various government aids)

Like what? There's no special "be a woman" welfare check. They're expected to work the same jobs as the rest of us to sustain themselves.

>This is a huge reason why marriage is ending not because women are worried about being raped for not upholding their end of a relationship.

Marriage isn't ending, you fucking schmuck.
>>
File: CAPITALISM!!.png (62 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
CAPITALISM!!.png
62 KB, 500x375
>>764154
Consuming and growing uncontrollably is part of every system, it is just that most other systems are too inefficient to really have much impact on the natural world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Plan_for_the_Transformation_of_Nature

Capitalism actually reduces this somewhat. Ever heard of the tragedy of the commons?

If everyone can fish in a lake, people will fish as much as possible until there are hardly any fish left, then a good wholesome capitalist can buy the now worthless lake, wait for the fish populations to grow back then fish only 1/10th a year.

The capitalist could fish all the fish in a year and gain 10 times more profit, however annualized returns on the stock market are about ~5% to ~7% adjusted for inflation, the lake is actually an excellent investment, they can either sell it for more than the value of the fish or continue to fish 1/10th.
>>
>>763670
>>763671
I'm a man, and he's right. Either you agree with freedom, or you should kill yourself, Mohammad

>>763696
>muh buzzwords
Hang yourself mohammad

>>763709
>If you hate me, keep doing what you're doing now. Know that i don't hate you; i'm just sorry that i can't help.
t. literal homosexual
>>
>>764280
>Ever heard of the tragedy of the commons?

That's been repeatedly debunked.
>>
>>764246
I was flat out told by a public worker that when you're a childless man it's almost impossible for you to receive food stamps / welfare. The way welfare
>>
>>763783
>The only other major factor is geography/environment.
Technology, economics, hardship contact with other cultures, innovation within your own, the spread and development of ideas.

Culture in the west has changed radically in the last few hundred years and there has been no such change in genetics
>>
>>764280
>can buy the now worthless lake, wait for the fish populations to grow back

What if the first bought of overfishing fucked up the food chain of the lake, or they decided to supplement the food through aquaculture. There might be unexpected ecological consequences such as eutrophication of the lake.
>>
>>764280
If I wasn't clear, I'm in favour of Capitalism. I think all other systems are pissing in the wind and will inevitably lose.
>>
>>764299
There is a reason men make up the majority of the homeless.
>>
>>763766
That's linguistics though.
>>
>>764332
Hence gender is a social construct.
>>
File: ew girls.png (245 KB, 942x470) Image search: [Google]
ew girls.png
245 KB, 942x470
Who /gynocide/ here?
>>
>>763766
English isn't even gendered other than pronouns.
>>
>>764338
Eliot Roger plz
>>
>>764342
Eliot was heterosexual, thus a cuckold and part of the problem.
>>
>>764340
....no shit?
>>
>>764351
So don't say there are genders in English, it's as gender neutral language as humanly possible.
>>
>>764362
How do you refer to the third person singular without using a gendered pronoun?
>>
>>764377

"I went to the store"

Did a man or a woman say this sentence?
>>
>>764362
>English has gendered pronouns
>So don't say there are genders in English
Yeah, no.
>it's as gender neutral language as humanly possible.
There are plenty of languages with no system of grammatical gender at all, pronoun or not. Go learn some linguistics before you say dumb shit.
>>
>>764381
You used the first person.
I asked about the third person singular.
>>
>>764387
I wasn't answering your question you shit.
>>
>>763989
this guy gets it
>>
>>764335
What?
Grammatical gender has nothing to do with human gender.
>>
>4chan decides that all Sociology is bullshit, but their own preheld beliefs and /pol/shit is totally legit.

My god this website has become so fucking shit.
>>
>>764381
>I have never heard of covert grammatical features
Seriously, why the fuck do people who have never picked up a linguistics book pretend they know what they're talking about?
>>
>>763652
The depth of your anger is really against the part of you that agrees with him.
>>
>>763997
What's wrong with this picture?
>>
>>763783
Read some anthropology and Come back
>>
File: homohands.jpg (61 KB, 700x214) Image search: [Google]
homohands.jpg
61 KB, 700x214
>>760429
this seems pretty obvious to me, I don't see why there is so much drama over this

biological: easily 95%+, if not 99%+, of the population have XX or XY sex chromosomes and no developmental differences like androgen insensitivity syndrome or klinefelter syndrome

sexual orientation: supposedly about 10% of the population are gay or bisexual, this is due to how hormones affected the development of their brain and other features like pic related. There are other behaviors like a fondness for fashion which is present in heterosexual women and homosexual men. Genetics may also play a role, but there is nothing conclusive yet.

psychological: not everything is due to nature, some behaviors are due to nurture, it is important not to confuse the 2, however it is neither entirely one way or the other
>>
>>765284
There's a huge horde of invading shitskins demanding citizenship in my capital city's main square. It's very unaesthetic.
>>
>>760459
>THE definitive lie
I think the word you're looking for is "misconception"

>Gender is formed by culture, and culture is formed by a combination of individuals, the environment, and most importantly BIOLOGY.
If you water the word "culture" down to its simplest form, I guess you could say it's a reflection of your circumstance, including biological circumstance. That doesn't make it necessarily the key factor.

>>763764
>>763875
Most of the impoverished areas with declining populations are already abusive to women and yet their birthrate problems still persist.

>>763852
> the current capitalist system is set up in such a way that it can only sustain itself so long as there is constant growth.
Then that's a problem with your capitalist system, not the growth rate. If your plan requires expanding at a faster rate than your container, you're going to pop. I'm not saying all capitalism is like that, but your impression of it seems fatally flawed if it relies on making sure women are always churning out babies simply because individual people and populations in general can't always afford to do that.
>>
>>760988
I believe this might fall under
>humanities
>>
Yes
http://theundergroundgirlsofkabul.com
>>
>>760429
people with inverted dicks and STIs and shit should be forced to have a tattoo labelled across their head so its abundantly blatantly clearly shown and known to all those around it as such.
Thread replies: 168
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.