[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which country contributed most to the allied victory in the Western
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8
File: 12457646.jpg (43 KB, 800x581) Image search: [Google]
12457646.jpg
43 KB, 800x581
Which country contributed most to the allied victory in the Western Front of the First World War?
>>
GOOD THREAD
>>
>>754722
France.
>>
>>754722
France
>>
>>754722
France?
>>
The United States of America.
It was us Americans who supplied Europoors with weapons, ammunitions, food, money, fuel and even uniforms.
>>
Britain
>>
I think it's probably France
>>
>>754722
Japan. Without the Islands providing much needed sauerkraut and pickelhaubes, Germany was able to be taken out by a combined alliance.
>>
>>754752
He's right you know....
>>
>>754739
cept we used French artillery and tanks for the 6 months we actually fought.
>>
>>754722
The Frog
>>
>>754722
Canada
See Canada's Hundred Days
/ thread

>inb4 can't be Canada because they were still under Britain
>>
France. How is this even a question
>>
>>754722
pretty amazing to me that despite defending their own clay the French were able to send a few hundred thousand troops to Italy, Turkey, and the Balkans during the course of the war.

>levee en masse
>>
>>754770
pound for pound Canada no doubt....but in total, the eternal Gaul.
>>
France followed by the British Commonwealth
>>
File: 8qLGOot.jpg (22 KB, 338x450) Image search: [Google]
8qLGOot.jpg
22 KB, 338x450
>>754722
You seem to hear a lot more regarding the Britain war effort, but it is surely France.
>>
File: 1445392373460.png (381 KB, 400x485) Image search: [Google]
1445392373460.png
381 KB, 400x485
>>754788
>yfw backwater colony of Scots, Irish, Germans, and Brits literally won the War To End All Wars
>>
>>754722
France
>>
File: Alvin York.jpg (27 KB, 300x379) Image search: [Google]
Alvin York.jpg
27 KB, 300x379
>>754809
....but enough about America.
>>
>>754850
Kek
>implying America is still backwater by 1917
>>
>>754722

The Austo-Hungarian Empire.
>>
>>754722
USA
>>
>>754809
to be completely honest we really did punch well above our weight for a small British colony.
>>
>>755051

Austro-Hungarian*
>>
>>754722
In terms of overall actual contribution probably France

In terms of most decisive and most influential contribution pretty clearly the USA.
>>
Germany?
>>
>>754722
France. Then Britain + Commonwealth nations.

The Brits didn't enact forced conscription until relatively late in the war (mid-1916) so they basically remained pretty useless for most of the war, with inferior equipment, smaller numbers, and terrible
generals. The myth that Britain played a major role in the war is stupid, except at sea where they pretty much shitstomped the Hun.
>>
>>755089
Actually, this may be the case.
Germany have started two world wars.
Lost both.
They really suck at diplomacy.
>>
France suffered way more casualties in proportion to population than the United Kingdom did. It sent the country into a demographic crisis that lasted for years because the ratio of men to women was so skewed.
>>
File: OPvHZ0s.jpg (734 KB, 1249x1814) Image search: [Google]
OPvHZ0s.jpg
734 KB, 1249x1814
The eternal Anglo himself, aged only 19
>>
most overall or are we taking size into account? Canadians we're called shock troopers and Germans got scared shitless when they saw Canadians being brought up. Australia and New Zeeland were also pretty crazy
>>
Militarily france held the fort for futher advancements, arguably sustaining the worst of conditions (For the entire war!) however the evolution of Canadian troops from being used as cannon fodder to an elite force is a great one to be respected. We did cause the whole 100 days thing.
>>
>>755098

I don't know if you're trolilng but I really hate this meme that Germany started ww1.
>>
>>755094

Where do you think Britain's army came from when their small professional army got wiped out in 1914/15. The majority of the those that fought at the Somme in 1916 were volunteers. 2.67 ordinary people signed up as volunteers, 2.7 million as conscripts.

>>754722

France contributed more manpower but was pretty much spent by early 1917 after the failed Neville offensives.

Britain played the major role in the Ypres campaign from August-November and operations in Cambrai in December.

In terms of winning the endgame battle (August-November 1918), the British advances were key. This was in comparison to the smaller scale French offensives which were backed with fresh American troops.
>>
I am an American trying to learn about some of the earlier years of the war. Can someone help me out here I am looking for some books on the Western Front. I think I am going to start with 1915: The Death of Innocence by Lyn MacDonald, has anyone else given it a read?
>>
>>755247

Gary Sheffield: "Forgotten Victory"

This is the key intro text to the First World War.

Once you have read this, try Spencer Jones' "Courage without Glory: The British Army on the Western Front 1915"
>>
>>755260
Thank you I start with Forgotten Victory, have you read the Dead of Innocence though? Saw it at a used bookstore near me and can get it for pretty cheap so I am kind of tempted to grab that also.
>>
>>755275
I will start*
>>
>>755098
Germans are too autistic to understand diplomacy. It is also why they are so efficient.
>>
France probably, with Britain second
Remember Bongs were fighting turks n shit in middle east
>>
>>755204
Blanque Cheque.
>>
>>755275

The Death of Innocence is a good book though it tends to focus on the pov from the individual soldier rather than giving great analysis of the battles and those in command.
>>
>>755299
I think I will check it out, because I was looking for something that recounts firsthand how horrifying the battlefield was. Thank you for the help
>>
>>755054
This is very true.
This post one of only a handful of objective things said on this board
>>
File: rossrifles239.jpg (96 KB, 581x949) Image search: [Google]
rossrifles239.jpg
96 KB, 581x949
Once Canada dumped the Ross Rifle and brought back the godly Lee-Enfield, things were top-hole.
>>
File: canadianscouts006.jpg (187 KB, 851x903) Image search: [Google]
canadianscouts006.jpg
187 KB, 851x903
>>755563

Though having said that, some battalions kept the sniper version of the Ross, as it was exceptionally accurate.

This is the sniper-scout section of the 7th Battalion, CEF.
>>
>>755213
Yes, but they still could've (and did) bolster their numbers significantly after enacting forced conscription.
>>
File: reg.jpg (37 KB, 284x316) Image search: [Google]
reg.jpg
37 KB, 284x316
>>755571

Also, do not mess with Reg. He will fuck you up.
>>
ITT: The eternal canuck.
>>
>>755576
that's some duke nukem shit right there.
>>
France
>tfw they spent so much in the first war they couldn't quite recover in time for the second
>>
>>755770
And yet Germany not only was worse off from the first war than France was but also had severe restrictions and all sorts of bullshit.

How the fuck did they do it.
>>
>>754722

The US contribution was hugely decisive. Without American munitions and subsidies there is simply no way the Allies would ever last past 1916, and the AEF entry onto France was an absolute game changer in terms of morale. In terms of purely material fighting though it's a tie between the big two Entente powers. There's no difference between the French and British contribution. France slowly faded out and by 1917 the British were fighting the bulk of it.
>>
>>755778
France
Was fighting a defensive and tentative war when Germany showed them a doctrine they had no counter for
>>
Russia. Germany would win this war if fought in one front.
>>
>>754739
>American education
>>
>>754770
Canada made a big contribution, especially for their population size, but they didn't do so much as to say they were the single driving force to victory
>>
>>755283
t. eternal gaul
>>
>>755790
>There's no difference between the French and British contribution.

LOL
>>
>>755778

The power of love.
>>
>>755065
this.

France put the most energy into the war and at least held the stalemate from collapsing into German victory, while supporting other fronts as well. However, the US supplied many of their munitions and weapons, and when they finally came onto the front, they were able to deliver the final increment of fresh force to finish the war.
>>
>>755576
Manlets are always so angry.
>>
>>755832
For the whole war, no. They never reached an enlistment of over 1 million men and never led any massive campaigns in their own until late 1916. While they certainly had great impact in independent engagements like the second battle of Ypres and Vimy, they shone in the last months. If not for the push that the CEF made when the German line was broken, the war would have dragged on. The quick movement made by the Canadians basically snatched away victory from Germany, who would have succeeded in the spring offensive. Without the Canadian rush, the Entente would have stalled after the line was broken, and eventually Germany would have outlasted them after the successful spring offensive.

You could argue that anyone could have done the job that Canada did, but no one else tried.
>>
>>754739
FIRST World War, not Second.....Jackass.

>>755824
Fuck you
>>
>>755832
And that can be said of every country involved so your statement is pretty pointless
>>
Britain, by enforcing a blockade on Germany
>>
>>754722
Austria-Hungary
>>
>>754722
The Jews behind enemy lines causing communist revolutions.

Seriously though it was the US loading troops into france at fast rates that scared Germany into armistace.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.