[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Contribute to the resources Document
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: logo.png (13 KB, 588x144) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
13 KB, 588x144
Now we have a board, can we improve the resources document, add resources to any historical topics such as books, videos or podcasts. Hopefully we can catalogue a lot of resources so it could be stickied.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Rq0gUUpoI1Xi_NKpt7iuUdU2xdQzbwSu-g2BzpG_JBc
>>
no lib shit like howard zinn or crash course history pls senpai
>>
>>7541
academia *is* "lib shit" so good luck with that
>>
>>7541
If you feel like a source is a bad, you can add it under bad resourcces and explain why you believe it's bad.
>>
>>7488
>mentioning Scholagladiatora and Neosonic in the videos section for weapons

am liking this so far. you can mine a lot of informative videos from their respective recommended sections, by the way.
>>
File: John_Green_in_Minneapolis.jpg (3 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
John_Green_in_Minneapolis.jpg
3 MB, 2592x1944
>>7541
crash course is pretty shit and most of us acknowledge that. you might as well read Wikipedia articles, they're more concise and often less biased than pic related.

I'm not joking, Green is not a historian and has never been educated as such, this is where he gets his information from as well.
>>
>>7905
It pisses me off people consider him a legitimate source and show his videos in schools. He's a fucking author of preteen novels, not a historian, yet people actually trust what this guy says as fact.
>>
>>7541
Don't you think Crash Course World History is decent in terms of giving a brief introduction or giving a "crash course" of a historical topic?

What I'm trying to ask is: Why does everyone hate him and can you describe some examples?
>>
>>7987
There might be a little merit to showing his videos in primary school, as they do offer a summation of Wikipedia in both video and audio, and that can be valuable to children that can't be bothered to read up on anything themselves.

But that's where his knowledge ends, and it's indeed somewhat depressing that teenagers and young adults consider him to be an authority on anything beyond YA literature.
>>
Anyway, while we're waiting for the influx of new threads to die down we might as well dump some informative videos.

Scholagladiatoria discusses modern (police) tactics versus people wielding close range weapons (in this case a Machete)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzke4Bn11nY
>>
I'm not sure if it's better to organise by eras or regions.
Some books may talk about the history of a people over multiple eras, or two countries may be so far apart that it doesn't really make sense that they're grouped together. If you're looking for books on the history of China for example, you'd want to go to a China page, not look at the 1000 BC page, then the 500 BC page, then the 0 AD page, etc.
But then again, especially with modern globalization, it doesn't make sense to split off regions, and some resources may cover multiple regions in the same time period.
>>
>>8080
Go read about the crusades...

Go watch his video on the crusades
>>
>>8751
We could have both?
>>
>>8751
First by region, then by era. In my opinion. Some regions will of course have more history (europe, middle east) but that's to be expected.

Filtering by era causes a clusterfuck in my opinion and it's the cause of a lot of misconceptions as some regions are considered to be more important within a specific time frame (thus we get shit like ''the dark ages''. which is not only is unfair to describe post roman Europe with, but also considers the rest of the world to be irrelevant).
>>
>>8751
I'd say to add a country specific section
Making it country -> Date would make for too many sections
>>
>>8905
>>9314
>>9435
Maybe it should just be by 'topic', for example we might have Colonisation, Medieval Europe, The Cold War as separated topics, which are a combination of theme, time and place but each are distinct.
>>
>>9435
So far we have it by history by region followed by history by dates/era.

>>9768
We could possibly add history by topic after history by dates/era.
>>
>>9768
Perhaps, but if you aim to be a general source on the entirety of history that'd mean there would be a lot of topics.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but formatting under regions and then time frames -> specific countries might make it easier for people that are interested in just one region to find their shit, as opposed to, for example, a general overarching theme of colonisation which pretty much affected the entirety of the world in various ways.
>>
>>10057
We have a contents page so I suppose it's fine for to have many topic, possibly have another contents just for topic?
>>
We should have a section for "revisionist" or alternative views of history and label it such. The Civil War and reasons for it, the notion the Lincoln was a dictator and such things that wouldn't be touched upon by other sources but could prove fruitful.
>>
I'll ask again here, any reason why this guy's stuff is bad or good?
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhyKYa0YJ_5Aq7g4bil7bnGi0A8gTsawu
>>
I've created a style guide. We need consistant formatting
>>
>>10471
It might invite in /pol/ holocaust deniers or afrocentrist crazies. This could be interesting though, I think if there was a section then each resource should be accompanied by some link debunking it/arguing against it.
>>
>>11985
They're going to come anyway, you should include what they say so that they're represented.
>>
I used fsmitha.com to get a general idea of world history. Could fit well as a resource
>>
Why not creating a wiki ? A google doc seems pretty limited for something like this.
>>
>>12022
>They're going to come anyway
And they can fuck off
>Encouraging them by including them
>>
>>12454
They need to be able to voice their views and supporting evidence you leftist middle-ground fallacy using kek

Just make a section for non-mainstream views or controversial or whatever and let them post shit with accompanying supporting evidence.
>>
>>12335
Makes better sense, I'll make one now.
>>
>>12557
There's no good way to deal with this. If you let them in with another section, everything else gets dragged into that section. If you exclude them, they'll come in anyways.
>>
>>12557
>calling me a kek after you said you want [word censored according to global rule 3] revisionists to have a space to promote their retardation
Is that you, Bernie?
>>
>>12741
>>12765
We'd better ignore and silence them then

We can't ever let them speak a word of their views or opinions ,'^)
>>
File: HMS_Rodney_1943_Malta.jpg (84 KB, 450x472) Image search: [Google]
HMS_Rodney_1943_Malta.jpg
84 KB, 450x472
>>12819
Why not go to a mental clinic and make a paragraph for each patient's opinion? You don't want to silence them, do you?
>>
>>12741
>everything else gets dragged into that section
Only if ur a newfag who happily eats shitb8 for breakfast. What kind of rhetorician would let the opponent dictate the narrative to the point that censure is called for? The living side of history is pure argumentation.
>>
File: 4 million is a myth.png (3 MB, 3344x1098) Image search: [Google]
4 million is a myth.png
3 MB, 3344x1098
>>12901
You cannot with reason denounce contradictory views and opinions as not worthy of expression, they should have a section for conveying their views under it, of course with mandatory accompanying evidence to support whatever it is they're stating.
>>
File: opinions.jpg (54 KB, 960x733) Image search: [Google]
opinions.jpg
54 KB, 960x733
>>12901
You're a bit of a cunt Anon, do you know that?
>>
We've got a load of books at the bottom of the document, if you wanna contribute, move hte books to their relevent section.
>>
File: 1445676236609.jpg (886 KB, 1091x709) Image search: [Google]
1445676236609.jpg
886 KB, 1091x709
>>13169
Just say it that you want holocaust denial to be included, why do you have to let [word censored according to global rule 3] have their corner?
>>
>>13474
I did say that, alternative views of history should be included under the appropriate section. That includes any alternative views of Rome or whatever. Especially considering how popular some of these views are that they should be permitted in the appropriate section.
>>
>>13474
What word is being banned? Jew or nigger ?
>>
How about before we start having this alternative views, we populate google docs with some resouces first?
>>
I think it might be good to have some language learning resources, but only for dead languages like Latin or Sanskrit.

>>13474
Not him but I honestly think it might be interesting to see weird stuff like holocaust denial and Afrocentric stuff. You might have to argue against this stuff on /his/ so it might be good to be aware of pervasive myths.
>>
>>13563
I guess the presence of >>11985 made me misunderstand
>>
>>13703
We have some Sumerian learning resources, not sure on how to categorize it.
>>
delete sherman from the sticky
>>
Why do we have two sections, one for period and one for region?

Just merge them
>>
>>14061
Do you really want all of European history in one huge section?
>>
>>14061
It's meant to be accessible. Let's say someone want to learn more about China. They can easily go find China and find a book related to China. The same for any historical period.
>>
I'll get all my old uni books out and find links for them, they're mostly to do with
>US
>Modern Britain
>Middle East
>Revolutions
>Southeast Asia

I didn't read much of them but they were given to me at the start of courses, so I'd imagine they're fairly easygoing and introductory texts.

Also, I've added a section for historiography. If nobody's interested in it then feel free to get rid, but I thought it might be something useful (at least for reference) since that shit's actually super important for history.

I still feel exhausted from my dissertation last year but I remember a lot of the material really well and I find the stuff quite interesting, but I might just be trying to take out sadistic pleasure in recommending people read about modernist and postmodernist discourse.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.