[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are the humanities dying in America today compared to how
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5
File: they-live-06.jpg (28 KB, 480x203) Image search: [Google]
they-live-06.jpg
28 KB, 480x203
Why are the humanities dying in America today compared to how revered they were in the early 1900s?
>>
>>74870
At some point, college became equated with "job factory" and if your education didn't revolve around getting you a job, it was mocked and its department got its funding cut.

We then carried that logic on to the high school level as well (Except for sports of course, even if they don't lead to a job they are the most important thing.)
>>
>>74870
job market for people studying humanities isn't growing as much/at all? compared to pleb IT-engineering market
>>
>>75035
This. It's very sad, but college for the masses really ruined it. Well-paying blue collar jobs were something great that's not happening again.
>>
>>75121
>millions
Even as hyperbole, I doubt that.
>>
>>74870
Because those jobs don't pay anymore, while generic business jobs have gone through the roof in popularity in the last fifty years or so.

Some will claim it's part of the systematic plan to discourage the general population from intellectual pursuits, while steering them deeper into the rat race where the exploited feel like the real winners because of "muh 60k a year." No one wants 35k a year doing unappreciated intellectual field that isn't a safe bet compared to the very secure world of being an accountant or other completely lame shit no one actually wants to do. They are just conditioned to chase the almighty dollar, and that isn't found in the humanities anymore.
>>
>>74870

The answer is very simple, actually. It used to be that simply getting into college was a huge deal, and if you were lucky enough to graduate, you were almost guaranteed to find a job somewhere. So you could major in history or something that, and even if you didn't get a job in that field, you still had a degree to fall back on and get you a comfortable white collar job, somewhere, doing something. Competition is much more fierce now.
>>
>>74870
Can't build a tank with a Humanities Degree
>>
>>75095
>college for the masses really ruined it
Yep. No one wants a complete shit poor paying job, naturally, so now EVERYONE is going to college. That's why we have hundreds of applicants vying for one low level office job, and many others having to take shitty jobs in the meantime, further increasing their inability to pay off loans, causing it to be likely for one to move back home or otherwise not spend any money toward real investments: like a house. It's all completely fucked unless we enact a massive reversal of what we've been doing, or we completely change the structure of our government to accommodate the insane changes.

I suspect the Hebrews to be at fault.
Jk
>>
>>75272
>you faggot
Aaaand I now know we can't have a legitimate discussion. You were doing so well, too.
>>
>>75370
>Aaaand
Wew lad, you almost got me. Go back to reddit.
>>
>>74870
>>74870
youtube.com/watch?v=JF2eJSHKKd0
weeklystandard.com/articles/who-killed-liberal-arts_652007.html
>>
>>75413
>writing the way I would have spoke
>not speaking or typing perfect standard American English makes me reddit

This really doesn't need to be an argument. Remember, even if you get your precious last word in, you're still the little child that shot insults first before discussing things like a big boy.
>>
>>74870
Because films were new and tv and video games didn't exist back then.

Guess what the majority of our creatives are working on now?
>>
>>75578
I've been here long enough to know that this argument won't get anywhere and will eventually degrade to trolling and memes. And yes, once insults get thrown, that's when it almost always happens.

Not wasting my time.
>>
>>75688
I don't think that's how statistical extrapolation is supposed to work
>>
>>75705
Come on, big boy, being called a faggot is almost like a greeting here, you should know this.
>>
>>75828
But you don't know the original proportion. Liberal arts is a really big category.
>>
>>74870
Flynn Effect insured that the population eventually realized how much bullshit comes out of humanities, so they generally focused on STEM instead.
>>
>>74870
http://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/max-stirner-the-false-principle-of-our-education

This is old but Stirner's line of thinking is still accurate. Education has gone from higher learning for the sake of creating an elite class to an egalitarian job factory.
>>
>>75230

You can still make it in the humanities you just need to have your shit together. Obviously somebody who coasts by getting Bs and doesn't take classes seriously and doesn't plan ahead will get fucked but that's their own fault.
>>
>>75971

Because Asian and Hispanic parents don't put up with nonsense.
>>
>>75971
It would be interesting to see if this is related to parents' income
>>
Stagnation caused by forced accepted thoughts and methodology pushed by
Baby boomers and old gen-x'ers. Once they die off people will actual be able to talk about new things and the humanities will be revitalized.
>>
>>76118

Income is a part of it, but if it were just income you'd see asians being more similar to whites than latinos.
>>
Post-Reagan America and Baby Boomerism does not value anything that does not make pure profit. Anything without a clear, exploitable profit incentive is relegated to the basket. The humanities fields are still flourishing with information, but less and less going to college are motivated to learn about it.
>>
>>76234
Yeah. Maybe it's a function of income, sex and parents' education/degree. Might be interesting.
>>
>>75035
Also people don't seem to think jobs outside of STEM are worth any merit or make enough money, hence "LOL ENGLISH MAJORS CAN I HAVE FRIES WITH THAT?
>>
>>74870
the fact that most people go to college now has turned it into trade school, basically
>>
>>75338
>jk

Every board should just be /pol/ desu senpai smdh
>>
Because anyone with above average literacy can learn all that stuff in their free time. People do humanities as hobbies (poetry, reading, writing, history). You don't need to go to college to read the Beowulf. You can do it in your bed.

The reason STEM, trade schools and some business degrees are so much more valued is because the students gain trade or occupation specific knowledge for their future career that they can only get through a schooling system to prove that they learned it under top guidance.
>>
File: 1431554111903.jpg (202 KB, 1190x796) Image search: [Google]
1431554111903.jpg
202 KB, 1190x796
Colleges are becoming less selective to make a buck.
Also look up average IQ of college graduates over time, it's quite informative.
>>
>>74870
They realized how utter shit they are
>>
STEM fags need to remember that they are more or less subsidized by Liberal Arts colleges.
>>
File: harold bloom.jpg (101 KB, 1058x1464) Image search: [Google]
harold bloom.jpg
101 KB, 1058x1464
School of Resentment
>>
>>76730
>>75272
>they actually think the meager free time you get outside of employment is enough time to become knowledgeable and skilled in a subject

top lel
>>
File: 1427854012564.jpg (118 KB, 1384x691) Image search: [Google]
1427854012564.jpg
118 KB, 1384x691
>implying its just the humanities
>>
>>77048
It's really simple actually, liberal arts degrees are super fucking inexpensive for the college, STEM programs can get really expensive fast. It's common sense.
>>
I think learning and critical thought are extremely important honestly. So I don't really understand the STEM hatred for all humanities, it borders on the irrational the degree to which they loathe anyone who isn't a STEM major.

I know exactly what I'm doing with my degree, I know the employment I will get, and I know what I could and could not learn outside of the degree program. I plan to become a school teacher because it's something I have talent for, and want to do (my father mother and sister were all school teachers) I think math and physics are fascinating but I frankly do not have the appropriate skill set for them.
>>
>>77068
No. You're just deluded if you think you can. Unless you are incredibly intelligent, and even then it's still a massive obstacle.

Unless your job is really few in hours, or you have a lot of free time on the job, there is no escaping it.

I'm not saying you can't do stuff in your free time if you're employed. But you will never become great at it. There is a reason basically all works of great art and the like have been produced by independent rich NEETs, people who were offered patronage to solely focus on their independent pursuits ect.
>>
>>77163
I think you're in the minority here with having a plan once you graduate. Having gone through my liberal arts (history) undergrad, most people I knew in my program didn't really have a lot of ideas about what to do once they graduated. Teaching was a popular route, a masters degree was another popular one, some went into law, and a lot just kind of left and hoped for the best. The perception with STEM majors is that it's easier to find a job after graduating, as well as the idea that they'll probably make more money in their career.

Also has to do with the sense of superiority that comes from thinking they have to go through a harder program.
>>
>>77200

Nobody's saying you'll become the next bigshot historian, just that you can learn history. And frankly most people who major in the humanities never even try to achieve greatness. They just coast by getting B's and then bitch when they can't find a job.
>>
>>76259
>Anything without a clear, exploitable profit incentive is relegated to the basket
^This. The funnier part is looking at all those students in business fields thinking they'll all be great traders with big income. Where most of them will instead spend their lives in an open space, yelling at people.
Feels good to study Law I say.
>>
>>77104
>creating something that doesn't exist
Which is highly hypocritical, since in the end dem big companies thrive in churning the same thing wrapped differently.

>starting your own business
Bah. Hate that shit.
>>
>>77280
>Tons of people get their degrees while having jobs so your point is completely invalid.

You say this like a degree is hard to obtain. Maybe if we are talking PhD level, but undergraduate is a joke.

Why are you turning the argument on me personally? I never said i was great, never said i didn't work. In fact you know nothing about me. But nice assumptions my friend, you have truly showed how skilled and intelligent you are.

>>77306
I never said everyone who pursued the humanities is some amazing historian or whatever. Most people are mediocre dilettantes, that's just the fact of life.
>>
>>75705
you are claiming moral superiority but deep down i would guarantee people getting the last word absolutely tears you apart inside

redditors...shake my head
>>
>>77306

this was me, except I coasted along by getting A's and B's but I didn't really try and bull shitted my way through college, and didn't learn much about History, even though that was my degree.
>>
File: 1446379620498.jpg (2 MB, 3543x2433) Image search: [Google]
1446379620498.jpg
2 MB, 3543x2433
>>75442
Absolutely fantastic watch, thanks for it.

I think it's all in how our societies treat humanities and liberal arts. Liberal arts, in particular; this thread has made me realize something endemic to this issue, something inherent in our language that's causing the issue. I had no fucking clue what the liberal arts had to do with, and I have a liberal arts degree. In our current time, it's treated as peformance, art, that which is relative to them, and things such as women's studies and the like. These are also immediately discounted as invalid fields of study that lead to poverty.

Not to lean on the classic "money isn't everything, be a starving artist" argument, but our society, as has been said, at some point decided college was the only way to get a good job. Now, everyone and their brother tries, and most positions are filled, or degrees devalued. The only things that still work the way that college is sold to us are the STEM or business sorts of things, and certainly not the humanities.

This leads to them being entirely ignored in our national psyche. People don't realize how broad the field of liberal arts or humanities is, and they discount it in their heads before they ever try to comprehend that. Liberal arts, or what's more, the term "Liberal arts colleges," is now intrinsically linked with Liberalism, arts colleges, Postmodernism, people being told how terrible white people are, people all about the whole Trans thing, oddball performance art pieces. It divorces it from discourse of politics, history, philosophy, of a study of Western civilization and values, and what exactly they are. That's a huge problem with this. Few people know what the humanities entails, and few of those that do find it attractive or practical to chase it and go into debt for it, because of their preconceived notion about what it will be like or what it will be to.

Damn, I am glad this board was made.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.