[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the Taiping Rebellion almost forgotten about in the west?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9
File: Hongxiuquan[1].jpg (13 KB, 282x250) Image search: [Google]
Hongxiuquan[1].jpg
13 KB, 282x250
Why is the Taiping Rebellion almost forgotten about in the west? It was one of the deadliest conflicts in human history and it's almost never brought up. Plus the idea of a Christian state in China ruled by a guy who thinks he's god second son is just insane.
>>
File: 1428925883352.png (51 KB, 455x451) Image search: [Google]
1428925883352.png
51 KB, 455x451
>>73622
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiping_Rebellion

>20-30 million dead
>(best estimate)

How the fuck have I never heard about this?
>>
>>73622
Because at that point in time Western thoughts on the Qing had a complete reversal and the Chinese were considered backwards and unimportant. The mindset still stands today, which is why no one can have a decent Eastern history thread on this board without some anon jerking off to alleged western superiority.
>>
>>73661
It just another example of the British fucking everything up in the east desu
>>
>>73622

Because le christians did it
>>
>>73723
>guy comes and says he's Jesus brother
>lol lets kill everyone
The fuck, China
>>
>>73713
>without some anon jerking off to alleged western superiority
If it doesn't 404 before then because no one posted in it. I'd except some thread about Japan since 4chan is weeb central, but I've found myself actually teaching in the Nip threads than learning and that's some bullshit because I am far from being an expert on Japanese history
>>
>>73622
Because it happened in china and doesn't involve epic kung fu fights or videogames.
>>
File: image.jpg (11 KB, 159x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
11 KB, 159x200
>>73622
>you will never have Shi Dakai as a general in your command
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shi_Dakai
>>
>>73661
>>73622
Because in China itself it's bookended by a dozen other conflicts which also supposedly cost millions of lives. So rather than a climactic event that changed everything forever, it's just ignored like one of the many Peasant's Revolts in Europe that came and went affecting only the faceless masses instead of some big shot of political importance.
>>
>>73622
Taipings were initially successful and BTFO 3 out of 4 western commanders helping the Qing. 2 American Mercenaries and a French Commander.

The 1 who survived was a Perfidious Brit who moved from frontline to Advising the Chinks.
>>
Ayyy, there was a movie about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm58fRAMf1c
>>
>>73775
It's waaay more complicated than that. Hong wanted to expel the Manchu out of China. He called to them as "demon". A lot of the casualties were just because of starvation because of sieges and looting villages
>>
File: Taiping Rebellion.jpg (145 KB, 512x676) Image search: [Google]
Taiping Rebellion.jpg
145 KB, 512x676
>>73786
>epic kung fu
It actually did: Christianized Kung Fu.

They even had special suicide forelorn hope units.

Literally Christian ISIS.
>>
>a rebellion against foreign minority rulers influenced by a foreign religion

Holy kek china

Where did it all go so wrong?
>>
>>73622
Because China's history is best understood as a series of peasant rebellions punctuated by impressive civic works projects. You can't open your wallet in China without killing ten million peasants.
>>
The Boxer Rebellion is better remembered because a lot of major powers got involved in it in order to protect their interests. The rest of the world didn't give a shit about Taping because it wasn't a matter of internarional concern. Ultimately, Taping is just another nightmarish colonial era catastrophe that got forgotten because it only affected China.
>>
>>73777
same here. It's a shame because Chinese history is seriously interesting.
>>
>>73859
But did they kung fu in TV? No. Check mate chink.
>>
File: The Warlords.jpg (110 KB, 600x327) Image search: [Google]
The Warlords.jpg
110 KB, 600x327
>>73930
There's actually a movie about it. The Christian aspect of the Taiping however was toned down or censored because the CCP doesn't want peeps to think its an Anti-Christian movie.
>>
>>73924
It's not forgotten. I make sure to include 1 slide about it in ap world history
>>
>>73971
>Anti-Christian
...Don't you mean Pro-Christian. I mean, it is the CCP we're talking about here
>>
How is it forgotten?

Just because it isn't prominent in pop culture and the average pleb doesn't know about it, doesn't mean it's forgotten.
>>
Not even many Chinese care about it, as it occurred at a time during their "century of humiliation" which was just China getting fucked in the ass for a hundred years straight. The Chinese are still pissed about it, too, but I suppose I can sort of understand. To go from one of the world's greatest civlizations to being a doormat for a bunch of funny looking white guys must've sucked and dealt huge blows to their collective psyche.

>>73847
The Han majority saw the Manchu elite as the reason China couldn't Westernize properly compared to Japan. It was easier to find a scapegoat than to realize that a) China had some serious internal issues and b) the West doesn't want you to Westernize, they want you to be weak so they can take your shit.
>>
>>74060
>The Chinese are still pissed about it
Which Chinese? The actual Chinese people, the CCP, or Taiwan. Because actual Chinese people don't give a fuck. The Party does, but they just want to use history as a scapegoat to push anti-Western and Japanese sentiment. Taiwan doesn't give a fuck either they're more mad at the Commies
>>
File: image.jpg (650 KB, 945x1312) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
650 KB, 945x1312
fuck the taiping bow to your one true ruler
>>
File: 1444083627446.jpg (10 KB, 426x382) Image search: [Google]
1444083627446.jpg
10 KB, 426x382
>>74004
>>
>>73661
because it would put jew lies in perspective and they can't make the number bigger again.
>>
>>74041
CCP doesn't want the people to be vehemently pro- or anti- anything, they want stability. They even put the damper on people being overly patriotic on the internet because they think overzealousness will cause problems.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenqing
>>
File: Taiping_Tianguo_(TV_series).jpg (65 KB, 296x400) Image search: [Google]
Taiping_Tianguo_(TV_series).jpg
65 KB, 296x400
>>73971
>There's actually a movie about it.
The Warlords (which is actually a remake of another movie) isn't really about the rebellion.
There are some Chinese tv-series detailing it though.
The Chinese commies actually see the rebellion as a precursor of their own one, you can see this in some monuments.
>>
>>74246
>they want stability
They don't want independent thought
>>
>>74041
The CCP wants stability between the religions. You can't do that by shitposting about another guy's religions.

The only reason why the Chinese Government is in loggerheads with Christfags is due to foreign links. Buddhism & Islam & Folk Chinese religions are pretty localized and ergo were pretty much meh when they registered under the Association of Religions (to monitor religious activity

Christfaggots on the other hand don't want to sever links between them and foreigners (i.e. American Churches. Catholics with their Pope). So they're under government shitlist. However Chinese Protestant Churches have and currently enjoy being a sanctioned religion.
>>
>>74600
Captain Obvious here.
>>
>>74600
>They don't want independent thought
Actually they just don't want repeats of buttinsane religious rebellions like the Yellow Turban Rebellion (Taoist) or the Taiping one.

The ROC actually did the same thing. Monitor religions that is.
>>
>>74647
Wasn't a Chinese catholic bishop appointed?
>>
>>74954
The mostly underground Chinese Catholic Church disregard him
>>
>>74954
There's an "official" Catholic church in China, but their bishops are controlled by the government and not Rome
It would be nice if Francis could get that sorted out.
>>
>China kicks out missionaries who could have been used to teach them western diplomacy.
>With no knowledge about western diplomacy, the country gets fucked by the west and Japan through unequal treaties, massive casualties, opium addictions and getting buttblasted in wars
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.