[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ummayad Caliphate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7
File: Umayyad750ADloc.png (30 KB, 1481x902) Image search: [Google]
Umayyad750ADloc.png
30 KB, 1481x902
How did it spead so rapidly?

It's quite horrifying how some desert dwelling Arabs conquered the Sassanids, took Byzantine Leveant and North Africa, took Iberia,
Sindh, Multan... Etc
>>
islam was the perfect storm to unite the region for conquest both culturally and militarily
>>
>>726105
Persia, the Levant and North Africa were conquered before the Umayyads though I'm pretty sure...
>>
>>726105
heres some stuff I heard about Arab raiders who were pretty independent went forward and conquered territory then the caliph gave it sanction then sent people to go help run things
>>
File: zenobia__queen_of_palmyra_.jpg (630 KB, 1294x2000) Image search: [Google]
zenobia__queen_of_palmyra_.jpg
630 KB, 1294x2000
>>726105
>>726134
Persia, the levant, and north africa were conquered by the Rashidun caliphate. The Ummayads and the Rashidun were successful for a number of reason, including very good leadership and command. Also, Arabs had fought as mercenaries for both Persians and Romans, so they would be very familiar with their strategies.
>>
>>726105
It'd be a mistake to underestimate them as desert dwelling bumpkins. Like the Germanic tribes in Europe, the Arabs were fighting in Roman and Persian armies for a few centuries by then. You had clans who could be mobilized swiftly and in large numbers, and a pool of experienced officers.

When the Rashidun Caliphs set out, they didn't conquer cities at first but subjugated and absorbed the Arab and Aramaic tribes of the Mesopotamian countryside, further bolstering their numbers at the expense of local Byzantine and Sassanid governors who relied on them for mercenary work. Once gone, and realizing the distant emperor and shah wasn't going to rush in and sweep the Arabs away anytime soon, the individual towns threw in with the tribes of the countryside, having intermarried and settled some of them already in their own cities for a few centuries. The revolutionary message that proto-Islam brought also energized these people against the old Imperial order that many saw as standing in the way of the end times.

By the time the Arabs were entering Egypt and Iran proper, it was no longer just a small confederation of Arabs but a full on Semite rebellion against the Greek and Persian elites ruling from afar. The devastation of their long war, the brutality of their subjugation, and the religious intolerance of their Imperial rite, did not endear the local Syrians, Iraqis, and Egyptians to either Rome or Iran.

North Africa, Spain, Iran, and Transoxiana were acts of opportunity where eager and adventurous tribes who were not bloodied and enriched by the first war set off to raid and conquer land for personal glory and wealth, as well as political rivals of the established ruling clique taking to the frontier to escape their reach. These groups intermarried with the local elite and found fertile ground among other tribal societies like Berbers, Visigoths, and Iranic/Turkic nomads to preach heterodox and syncretic forms of Islam to oppose the Syrian Arab government.
>>
File: Abbasids_blackflag.jpg (75 KB, 560x552) Image search: [Google]
Abbasids_blackflag.jpg
75 KB, 560x552
>>726105
also, the long Persian-Byzantine-wars had been very taxing on the local populace on both sides . Many were happy to see new leadership, so accepted the seemingly fair rule of the Caliph- therefore they were able to move on from city to city without much local resistance
>>
>>726105
>Yu my ass caliphate
>>
Because Islam is true.

Christcucks were always getting stomped.

Literally all the time.

Those niggers spent more time sperging about muh trade than fighting.
>>
File: 1449148088092.jpg (279 KB, 640x1601) Image search: [Google]
1449148088092.jpg
279 KB, 640x1601
>>726105
Because Islam is anti-degeneracy

Meanwhile the Greek and Persian rulers were all faggots and whores
>>
File: poor_b8_m8.png (117 KB, 680x528) Image search: [Google]
poor_b8_m8.png
117 KB, 680x528
>>726340
>>726358
anyone who actually thinks this anon is a muslim and engages him as such is retarded for falling for obvious /pol/ bait
>>
>>726105
Obviously because God chose it as the correct religion for mankind.
>>
>>726105
Hardened fremen from Arrakis beats Imperial Sardaukar.
>>
File: Aliswagginitatbadr.gif (726 KB, 332x140) Image search: [Google]
Aliswagginitatbadr.gif
726 KB, 332x140
>>726105
Well the previous caliphate had already taken Arabia, Egypt, Persia, and the Levant.

The native Berbers didn't have a reason to love the Romans anymore. The Muslims offered an escape, native christians were taxed less under the jizya than by the Romans and there was incentive to convert through even lower taxes and for slaves potential freedom by converting to Islam and joining the Umayyad armies (most of the force invading spain was made up of Berber converts)

>>726276
Well, the Persians were not religiously intolerant compared to the rest of the world
>>
>>727087
WHAT FUCKING MOVIE IS THAT

SAUCE NIGGA
>>
>>727090
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMu_654ASDk

It's not a movie it's an extremely high budget television series that a bunch of arab nations put money together to make,
>>
>>727102
Holy shit this looks amazing

If only Arabs did more shit like this instead of getting angry at media portrayals of Muhammed or fighting religious civil wars
>>
>>727111
>religious civil wars
None of the current civil wars in arab countries started because of religion. L2history man.
>portrayals of Muhammed
It offends the spirituality of the message because pictures become idols really easily.
>If only Arabs did more shit like this
they do you just don't pay attention
>>
>>727087
>Well, the Persians were not religiously intolerant compared to the rest of the world
They violently suppressed both Manichaeism and Mazdakism, as well as destroying a lot of churches during various raids on Syria.
>>
>>727166
Yeah, IIRC the Sassanid were almost nationalistic in the way they suppressed the Greek language in Iran and any religion that wasn't the state religion, I.e. Zoroastrianism.
>>
>>726340
>>726358
We got a false flag here guys.
>>
>>727202
The court was in deep with the Zoroastrian priestly class, which clashed with these movements with their populist or gnostic stance towards the state and religious order.

Little wonder of course that an apocalyptic, anti-clerical religion like early Islam turned so many tribes to their side.
>>
>>726358
>saving this image

Lad I don't mean to derail the conversation but at this point in time I think it is time that you sought help.
>>
>>727235
Why?
>>
>>727102

This is interesting and holy fug I barely understand Arabic anymore

Blatant game of thrones I tro got a chuckle out of me.
>>
>new religion comes around
>really strict and endorses authoritarian rule
>allows a powerful organized group to form under a guy called the Caliph
>this group encounters basically no resistance from scattered desert tribes and quickly swells its ranks
>encounters the enfeebled and decentralized Sassanid Empire ruled by a boy king
>attack already weakened and demoralized empire
>take capital after king and his nobles run away, get a fuckhuge treasury they left behind to fund your future wars of conquest in the region
>tax everyone who doesn't convert to your religion to get even more fabulously wealthy
>build up enormous army
>steamroll remnants of Sassanid empire and outlying areas
>call yourself the Rashidun Caliphate

Umayyads basically inherited that and kept the momentum going.
>>
>>726105
>726105
Iberia was poor and unorganized, the Visigoths and the Suevians kept fighting among themselves and completely neglected the Muslim threat untill it was too late.
>>
>>727483
they didn't call themselves rashidun, that term was used by later historian because of harsh rule by ummayad caliphs.
>>
>>727483

There's so much wrong with your post.

>really strict

Actually a lot more liberal with respect to conquered nations, peoples hence why in many instances they were welcomed and embraced over the old overlords.

> encounters basically no resistance from scattered desert tribes

This is blatantly false and demonstrates no knowledge of early expansions of Islam.

>tax everyone who doesn't convert to your religion to get even more fabulously wealthy

People were taxed irrespective of religion under the old orders - in fact the jiz'ya was considered more liberal and easy on locals than previous taxation policies so why you bring that up as a 'success' point without any context is idiotic.

The fact you think they called themselves the 'Rashidun' caliphate also demonstrates your ignorance.
>>
>>726105
>Horrifying

How Tf is it horrifying? Are you absolutely autistic?
They liberated the Copts from the Orthodox and the Manichians from the Zorastrians

>This is bait.jpg
>>
>>727556
>>727611
>Rashidun

That was the first 4 caliphs. No one would call the Ummayd caliphs "rightly guided" because they were usurpers
>>
>>727650
>They liberated the Copts from the Orthodox
>this is what pedophile worshipers believe
>>
>>727724
I know this is bait but still.

>The majority of the Egyptians belonged to the Miaphysite branch, which led to their persecution by the Byzantines in Egypt, this continued until the Arab conquest of Egypt.
>>
>>727047
The arab conquests were probably the thing frank herbert got muad'dib's jihad from.
>>
>>727778
>raping, enslaving and slaughtering them

Sources?
>>
>>727801
THE FUCKING QURAN MAYBE?
>>
>>727535
iirc some iberian faction brought an army of muslims to help them fight some other army but then they couldn't pay them or something and from then on they turned on them and suddenly muslims controlled half the peninsula
>>
>>727817
xD
>>
>When Amr took full possession of the city of Alexandria, and settled its affairs, that infidel, the governor of Alexandria, feared, he being both prefect and patriarch of the city under the Romans, that Amr would kill him; therefore he sucked a poisoned ring, and died on the spot. But Sanutius, the believing dux, made known to Amr the circumstances of that militant father, the patriarch Benjamin, and how he was a fugitive from the Romans, through fear of them. Then Amr, son of Al-Asi, wrote to the provinces of Egypt a letter, in which he said: "There is protection and security for the place where Benjamin, the patriarch of the Coptic Christians is, and peace from God; therefore let him come forth secure and tranquil, and administer the affairs of his Church, and the government of his nation." Therefore when the holy Benjamin heard this, he returned to Alexandria with great joy, clothed with the crown of patience and sore conflict which had befallen the orthodox people through their persecution by the heretics, after having been absent during thirteen years, ten of which were years of Heraclius, the misbelieving Roman, with the three years before the Muslims conquered Alexandria. When Benjamin appeared, the people and the whole city rejoiced, and made his arrival known to Sanutius, the dux who believed in Christ, who had settled with the commander Amr that the patriarch should return, and had received a safe-conduct from Amr for him. Thereupon Sanutius went to the commander and announced that the patriarch had arrived, and Amr gave orders that Benjamin should be brought before him with honour and veneration and love. And Amr, when he saw the patriarch, received him with respect, and said to his companions and private friends: "Verily in all the lands of which we have taken possession hitherto I have never seen a man of God like this man." For the Father Benjamin was beautiful of countenance, excellent in speech, discoursing with calmness and dignity.

cont
>>
>>727872
>>727724
>>727778
>Then Amr turned to him, and said to him: "Resume the government of all your churches and of your people, and administer their affairs. And if you will pray for me, that I may go to the West and to Pentapolis, and take possession of them, as I have of Egypt, and return to you in safety and speedily, I will do for you all that you shall ask of me." Then the holy Benjamin prayed for Amr, and pronounced an eloquent discourse, which made Amr and those present with him marvel, and which contained words of exhortation and much profit for those that heard him; and he revealed certain matters to Amr, and departed from his presence honoured and revered. And all that the blessed father said to the commander Amr, son of Al-Asi, he found true, and not a letter of it was unfulfilled.

this is all from the history of the History of the Patriarchs of Alexandria

http://orthodoxwiki.org/History_of_the_Patriarchs_of_the_Coptic_Church_of_Alexandria
>>
>>727778
>calls people delusional
>is delusional himself

I know this is bait but fuck you faggot
>>
>>727877
just dont reply my man
>>
>>726105
Byzantine and Sassanids had just beaten the crap out of eachother and weren't prepared.
The Ummayads also had Khalid Ibn Al-Walid a great general on their side.
>>
>>726105
You're mixing things. The first wave of conquest - which advanced over Iran and much of the Roman Empire - was before the coup d'état of 662. Subsequent conquests were fueled by a growing bureaucracy, a nascent aristocracy and an almost universal dissatisfaction of the local population with their respective governments.

Nothing horrifying. Quite the opposite.

Instead of extortionate taxes, protectionism and price-fixing, insurmountable tariff barriers and irregular security, the invaders offered order, respect for private property, low taxes, and the goal of global unification. The average citizen had no doubt to whom to support - even if the latter were a bunch of desert dwellers.
>>
>>727111
They actually do though. Turks do stuff like this all the time as well.
>>
>>728677
>Turks do stuff like this all the time as well.
Tell me more. That would help me a lot with my Turkish.
>>
>>729683
they did a movie called Fetih which is a really self-indulgent view of the siege of constantinople
>>
>>726105
Read about Khalid ibn al-Walid. I don't know how he did it but he regularly beat armies the size five times of his own.

Osprey suggests it had a lot to do with how well Arabs were at mobilization. They used a lot of cavalry both heavy and light, they also used mounted infantry as well.

Later on though they basically hired or used Turkic slaves (Ghulams, Mamelukes) for their armies, soon enough these started to de facto rule the parts of caliphate and later on worked for their own interest and destroyed it from inside.
>>
>>729723
>Read about Khalid ibn al-Walid. I don't know how he did it but he regularly beat armies the size five times of his own.

A disparity that huge was unlikely, but the Arabs were probably outnumbered when it came to field battles. They just didn't play the same kind of game the Romans and Persians did.

These weren't Total War line battles but a complex campaign of constructing a web of fortified camps and fighting dozens of small skirmishes to probe for weakness. Arab light cavalry was excellent at the latter, able to operate further and from surprising angles, hitting the enemy in places they weren't prepared and collapsing their interior network of supply, reinforcement, and communication. Thus when the Arab infantry at the front line marched forward, they weren't in disarray and confusion like their foes and could roll them over in a more even fight.
>>
>>729857
So like Osprey suggested? Better mobilization and better use of cavalry and mounted infantry.

It is still very admirable, very smart and skilled, of course I personally didn't expect Arabs to be some sort of superhuman warriors or anything of the sort, I expected good tactics and strategy, those are good tactics and strategy.
>>
>>729683
i recommend you this. its about turkish war of independence and is very well done.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388189/
>>
>>730012
>>729713
Teşekkürler, anonlar.
>>
>>726105
Off the top of my head the most important factors were:
1. The persian government had been weakened by years of fighting. They had already partially conquered Egypt and Syria off the Romans in a civil war 20 years prior. Effectively all of Iraq and Afghanistan was devoid of useful government
2. The Byzantines were severely weakened by civil wars and the last Persian war
3. Heruclius was a retard and literally only sent 80k men to help Damascus after he destroyed his own navy trying to fight Visigoths
3. The Visigoths had been severely weakened fighting the Romans. There was a power vacuum in North Africa
4. The Arabs were fanatics led by someone close to a God in their eyes. The Byzantines excommunicated half of Syria and Egypt in the Nestorian and Monophysite heresies
5. Greek fire wasn't a thing yet. It become a thing one Arab assault on Constantinople later.

The real question was how Spain was stupid enough to get conquered
>>
hagarism
>>
>>730051

>The real question was how Spain was stupid enough to get conquered

They (the Ummayyads) were invited there by the Visigoths to intervene during a civil war between two rulers.
>>
>>726105

>Ummayyad

I think you've gotten your dynasties mixed up.

It was the Rashidun caliphate that spread so rapidly out of Asia; the Ummayyad came after and expanded to Western North Africa, Spain, the Caucuses, Sindh, Cyprus, and Central Asia.
>>
>>726105
>Islam is a religion of peace ;)
>>
>>730286
this is a pretty good meme, even the prophet himself went to war personally in the front
>>
>>730051
Visigoths were in the middle of a civil war and one of the sides was stupid enough to ask them for help
>>
>>732232
And?
>>
>>732959
and so second to the quran is the sunnah and sirah which prominently feature muhammad instructing muslims to subjugate chrstians and jews and put polytheists to death. This occured latterly in muhammad's life which , combined with the quranic principle of abrogation means that these commands to make war and forcefully subjugate substitute earlier contradictory messages of peaceful coexistence that muhammad made earlier in his life while living in medina.

So more than Islam simply failing to be a religion of peace, Islam infact emphatically is a religion of war.
>>
>>732977
>hur durr le war is bad, mommy hold me
prophet david(pbuh) and prophet solomon (pbuh) waged war against polytheist scums and they are highly revered and followed by abraamic faiths.
>>
>>727724
it's better to have to pay jizya under muslims than to be murdered by dyophysites
>>
>>730051
>The Byzantines were severely weakened by civil wars and the last Persian war
You sure about this? They could still raise thousands of armies much larger than the Arabs.
>>
>>732977
>Sunnah abrogating the Quran
>Imam al-Shafi‘i spinning in his grave.jpg
>>
>>733021
I think they were run pretty dry economically.

>>732988
While I agree with you on how hypocritical Jews and Christians in many of their criticisms of Islam, I still find it amusing that the purported "religion of peace" is the one that most explicitly condones war.
>>
>>733296
"religion of peace" is a recent thing created in the wake of terrorist attacks, so that the Muslims living in different countries don't get persecuted because of the crime that they didn't even commit.
>>
>>733316
I know, but it doesn't make it any less amusing.

Not to mention that the one thing Islam has that could lend legitimacy to the claim (the Dar al-Salam/Dar al-Harab tenet) doesn't actually contradict the actions of the terrorists.
>>
>>727135
>tfw you realize there's a tv show on the umayyad dynasty.
>tfw you realize there's a tv show on the abbasid dynasty.
>tfw you realize there's a tv show on andalusia and the kangs of sects.
>tfw you realize there's a tv show on the mamluke state.
>tfw you realize there's a tv show on the ottoman dynasty.
there are lots of historical tv shows, some have lesser production values but somewhat accurate.
>>
>>733353
even if it doesn't contradict , doesn't mean one should do it. Islam is not "religion of peace" or "religion of war". Quran and hadith encompasses human life which includes both peace and war.
>>
>>733388
Nice full house digits.

Like I said, I'm not ignorant about Islam. I'm just amused due to the state of affairs regarding the claim that it is a religion of peace.
>>
File: t.cletus.jpg (18 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
t.cletus.jpg
18 KB, 300x225
>>733410
As i said before , it is reaction to the people claiming Islam as "religion of war"
>>
>>732977
>instructing muslims to subjugate
>there is no compulsion in religion

nice
>>
>>733446
>subjugate
putting non muslims under muslm rule
>compulsion
forcing non muslims to convert to islam
>>
>>733439
Dude, you're preaching to the choir here. I'm not against Islam (or at least, not particularly against it), I'm just having fun. Exactly like how American Christians say that Christianity somehow endorses capitalism and the American way, despite actually being in opposition of it.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.