[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Latin American /his/ General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 25
File: Simon_Bolivar1.jpg (19 KB, 220x286) Image search: [Google]
Simon_Bolivar1.jpg
19 KB, 220x286
Let's talk about Latin American history, Columbus-Present

>inb4 what history
>>
WOO SAN JACINTO! REMEMBER EL ALAMO! GIT SUM!
>>
>>71516
what happened?
>>
>>72046
independance was a mistake
>>
>>71516
What went wrong and why was it Democracy?
>>
>>72014

Danm, Mister Benedict!
>>
>>71516
STOP MAKING GOD DAMNED GENERALS!
>>
>>72046
hopefully it happens again
>>
>>71516
>Let's talk about Latin American history
Why? I don't feel like being depressed today.
>>
>>71516
santaana a shit
>>
>>71516
Simon Bolivar: A Life
John Lynch
Simin Bolivar was a revolutionary who freed six countries, an intellectual who argued the principles of national liberation, and a general who fought a cruel colonial war. His life, passions, battles, and great victories became embedded in Spanish American culture almost as soon as they happened. This is the first major English-language biography of “The Liberator” in half a century. John Lynch draws on extensive research on the man and his era to tell Bolivar’s story, to understand his life in the context of his own society and times, and to explore his remarkable and enduring legacy.The book illuminates the inner world of Bolivar, the dynamics of his leadership, his power to command, and his modes of ruling the diverse peoples of Spanish America. The key to his greatness, Lynch concludes, was supreme will power and an ability to inspire people to follow him beyond their immediate interests, in some cases through years of unremitting struggle. Encompassing Bolivar’s entire life and his many accomplishments, this is the definitive account of a towering figure in the history of the Western hemisphere.

http://bookzz.org/book/914361/a1f0c8

Great little life here, author def has a hardon for plutarch
>>
I think we should've stayed with Spain. Independence was a mistake
>>
>>72046
That territory
With this flag-ish
With Mr. Order and Progress, Porfirio Díaz
>>
>>72332
Hello Paraguay
>>
>>72046
Big depopulated territory. It didn't have a real national identity due to more than 60 different cultures grouped under the same flag dominated by the white europeans.
General inequality of all its inhabitants, and the expulsion of the only rich people in the country (spaniards) led to an uneducated and poor population in debt with superpowers (France, England and Spain).
The independentist movement ended up with the same people the independentists were fighting against because they suddenly decided that independence was a good idea (Iturbide, the first mexican "emperor"), which led to a war between conservatives and liberals for more than 100 years after the event.
European and American interventionism every few decades (see the first and second French interventions and the Mexican american war).

Pretty much all of it happened, Mexico was doomed to fail since it's inception.
>>
File: Lopez1870[1].jpg (88 KB, 431x696) Image search: [Google]
Lopez1870[1].jpg
88 KB, 431x696
>>72357
Best south American coming through. What cojones...
>>
File: GV.jpg (558 KB, 800x1035) Image search: [Google]
GV.jpg
558 KB, 800x1035
Best President
>>
>>71516
Why did Chavez have such a boner for this guy? Bolivar would have dreaded the idea of Venezuela having a pardocracia. The thought of a half black, half native president would have given him nightmares.
>>
>>72377
Second best South American leader coming through.

>tfw Brazil and Gran Columbia could be the kingdom of god right now
>>
File: Estradacabrera1916[1].jpg (138 KB, 639x831) Image search: [Google]
Estradacabrera1916[1].jpg
138 KB, 639x831
>>72395
You are mistaken. Here is El Senor Presidente
>>
>>72416
tfw Brazil is now a shit-hole
>>
>>72395
I bet you like Lula too.
>>
File: Antonio_Conselheiro[1].jpg (938 KB, 1658x1025) Image search: [Google]
Antonio_Conselheiro[1].jpg
938 KB, 1658x1025
>>72464
;_;
>>
>>72133
“America is ungovernable. Those who served the revolution have plowed the sea. The only thing to do in America is to emigrate.”
- Simon Bolivar
>>
>>71516
He was funded by the anglos
>>
Which shitty leader fucked their country the most?

>>72377 is a good candidate.
>>
>>72712
Trujillo, not a bad economic manager, but basically rape squads and secret police are not the way to run a government

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsley_Massacre

The popular name[5] for the massacre came from the shibboleth that the dictatorial Trujillo had his soldiers apply to determine whether or not those living on the border were native Afro-Dominicans or immigrant Afro-Haitians. Dominican soldiers would hold up a sprig of parsley to someone and ask what it was. How the person pronounced the Spanish word for parsley (perejil) determined their fate. French and Haitian Creole pronounce the r as a uvular approximant—thus, their speakers can have difficulty pronouncing the alveolar tap or trill of Spanish.[6] The Dominican soldiers realized that most Haitians had difficulty pronouncing perejil, so if the person could pronounce perejil with a trill, they considered that person Dominican and let him or her live. However, they considered people who pronounced perejil without the trill as Haitian, and executed them.
>>
>>72712
Chavez
>>
File: 1446377686823.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1183) Image search: [Google]
1446377686823.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1183
>>72332
Thank you my child.

It's a shame your people truly believes our black legend but you defend the shittiest gift we gave to you: Religious fanatism.
>>
File: Plutarco_Elias_Calles.jpg (10 KB, 245x285) Image search: [Google]
Plutarco_Elias_Calles.jpg
10 KB, 245x285
>>72712
Pic related institutionalized decades of masked dictatorship after he was in power.

Really fucking hard to choose, because there are also other candidates like, Iturbide, Santa Ana, Díaz Ordaz, Salinas, Vicente Fox or Felipe Calderón.

>inb4 chairo
I also fucking hate Andrés Manuel López Obrador, but he is an irrelevant cunt who was never in power.
>>
Official video of the post:

https://www.facebook.com(slash)photo.php?v=1479920885669566

This, you are this pure shit.
>>
File: image.png (354 KB, 1280x732) Image search: [Google]
image.png
354 KB, 1280x732
>>72354
Forgot the flag
>>
>>73072
Off topic
>>
File: 1443745498825.jpg (8 KB, 238x212) Image search: [Google]
1443745498825.jpg
8 KB, 238x212
>mexican here
a dictator....and a commie have been the best presidents of mexico
>>
>>73536
you're that mexifag who keeps spamming stalin infographics on /pol/, aren't you?
>>
>>73593
nein, in only talk good things about the USSR in /pol/ but not about infographics
>>
>>73593
stalin is a true comrade
gib tex ass
>>
>>72046
Never recovered from Diaz desu

The PRI outside of Cardenas continued the imbalanced growth with slight reforms to make the poor smarter and more class aware, but in the end did nothing to stem the tide of American money and soft-imperialism. Then in the 80s like the rest of the world implemented neoliberalism that was palatable enough to the PAN that they were one in the same and "free and fair" elections could take place that were less rigged so Fox and Calderon could actually win. (Of course the PRD will never win)
>>
>>73536
>Commie
>President of Mexico

Are you talking about Cardenas, cause at best he was a Social Democrat
>>
Fucking freemasons ruining entire civilizations again
>>
File: vuelvancaras.png (595 KB, 846x314) Image search: [Google]
vuelvancaras.png
595 KB, 846x314
>>71516
I like this guys desu I've read some books about them, pretty curious people.
>>
File: cardenas-castro.jpg (89 KB, 490x580) Image search: [Google]
cardenas-castro.jpg
89 KB, 490x580
>>73701
>Are you talking about Cardenas
yes, he was a fully commie, and the biggest anti-american president ever
>>
>>73666
Is Mexico still a dictatorship? From US and European media it seems like a democracy with "corruption" but everyone is always really friendly.
>>
>>73749
>Is Mexico still a dictatorship?
nope, for example i could say shit against our homo president right now
>>
>>73741
Yeah, but saying "Mexico's most anti-American president" is like saying "Thinnest American"

He still compensated the Oil Companies when he created Pemex and the only reason he did that was because he asked Roosevelt if he could.
>>
>>73773
well, he tried to do his best
>>
>>72046
Mexican American war happened baka desu senpai
>>
>>73766
Was sicario realistic
>>
I know some people will hate me for this but i spoke a few years back with someone from venezuela and she told me chavez had in fact helped his country a lot. The money obtained trough the commerce of oil gave the country economic growth and an increase of a middle class while before there were much more poverty at the hands of a small elite. He even made it possible for Venezuela to get in the mercosur allowing more chance for comerce. I dont know how they are faring with maduro now.
>>
>>73815
i live in juarez, if that film were produced in 2009/2010 it would be more realistic
>>
>>73819
brainwashed turds
>>
>>72358
Is this any good? Most of Lynch's work has been proven to be outdated or simply wrong.
>>
>>73866
whoops, meant for >>72221
>>
>>73536
>a dictator
History revisionism at its best. While Porfirio Díaz wasn't the worst, he only continued to do what Benito Juarez was doing. The exact same shit but more brutal. Yet you probably talk shit about Juarez because reasons.
Also
>forgetting about the 1 million deaths during the revolution
>>
File: Porfirio_Diaz_civilian.jpg (2 MB, 3465x4708) Image search: [Google]
Porfirio_Diaz_civilian.jpg
2 MB, 3465x4708
>>72046
"So far from God and so close to the United States"
>>
File: hdshdsfhd.jpg (540 KB, 704x704) Image search: [Google]
hdshdsfhd.jpg
540 KB, 704x704
>>73913
not anymore
>>
>>73819
My dear, Venezuela has the largest known oil reserves. Regardless, there is widespread scarcity of goods, there is no investment in any other area, inflation runs rampant, and the country does not produce anything but oil.

Anyone who saves enough money flees.
>>
>>73888
>he only continued to do what Benito Juarez was doing. The exact same shit but more brutal
Not even that, he returned power to the church during his dictatorship.
>>
>>72395
We should write the name of the bullet that killed him in the Book of the Motherland Heroes.
>>
>>72712
I'm just trying to bait here. Maybe I should've posted Lula.
>>
File: 1446085128824.png (84 KB, 436x425) Image search: [Google]
1446085128824.png
84 KB, 436x425
another mexican here.....Compared to other LATAM countries it's awesome to know that we weren't fucked either by the US or the USSR during the cold war
>>
>>74167
This desu senpai baka
>>
>>72712
I'm in doubt between Juan Domingo Perón and Antonio López de Santa Anna. What the first made to the Argentine economy and politics, the second did to the Mexican territorial integrity.
>>
>>73885
I read it and enjoyed it, and it had extensive bibliography/citations.

But I have never trained in the area and dont really have something to compare it to.
>>
File: Village_View[1].jpg (466 KB, 1400x600) Image search: [Google]
Village_View[1].jpg
466 KB, 1400x600
>>73941
White man, come home
>>
>>74252
>Perón
What did he do wrong?
>>
>>73913
I really hate that quote.

Yes, the United States has seeked its own prosperity at the expense of other nations. Of course it has, literally every powerful nation has done that to some extent or another, they wouldn't be powerful if they didn't. You shouldn't be asspained that they did it you should be asspained that our politicians and leaders were at various times (and still are) too self serving and incompetent to do the same or do it to the same extent. That they let themselves be puppets and pawns of the US, Germany, France, Russia or the UK, that they didn't look south and start dominating and exploiting the weaker Latin American nations, that they didn't expand the navy and set up a small colonial empire, that they didn't reach out and seek greatness.

That's on us, not who our neighbor is.

Look at Germany, right in between various superpowers for most of its history, weak for most of its history, bullied, manipulated and beaten for most of its history, rose to be one of the worlds greatest empires twice. The list goes on, Japan, Austria-Hungary, Rome, Poland, Portugal, all surrounded maybe even dominated by great powers but all pushed and clawed their way to power and prosperity even if their stance in it was brief.

Mexico isn't fucked because we're close to the United States, we're fucked because we let that matter.
>>
File: 0011694033.jpg (52 KB, 770x433) Image search: [Google]
0011694033.jpg
52 KB, 770x433
>>72395
>Best President
>Not Julio A. Roca
* Took Argentina, then a sleepy backwater, and turned it into the one of the wealthiest countries on Earth by the time of his second term
* Made education secular, universal and compulsory, built thousands of schools
* As Minister of War, doubled the territory under effective government control by beating back hostile native tribes
* Opened up the country to a mass wave of foreign investment and immigration
* Made Buenos Aires a federal capital separate from the province, ending decades of conflict
* Founded the city of La Plata
* Civil (secular) Marriage Law
* Wheat was first exported in significant amounts during his first term (1880-1886)... by the time of his second term (1898-1904), Argentina was the world's main exporter
>>
>>74928
>tfw every great south american statesman got their start genociding paraguay

glorious
>>
>>74582
Where is that? Tilton area here.
>>
>>74959
He was a general in the war against Paraguay, but Mitre was the p
President at the time.

Paraguay declared war on Argentina, btw, not the other way around. Solano Lopez was one crazy motherfucker.
>>
File: boicot1.jpg (88 KB, 426x580) Image search: [Google]
boicot1.jpg
88 KB, 426x580
>>74928
>>74959
>>75091
:0)
>>
File: william walker.jpg (109 KB, 463x580) Image search: [Google]
william walker.jpg
109 KB, 463x580
>>71516
william walker. crazy cracker from tennessee gets funding to take over Nicaragua and turn it into an antebellum south style colony. ruled for a year, got his ass thrown out, was later killed by the Hondurans for trying the same shit
>>
>>72785

Chavez was good, the new one is shit.
>>
>>72712
How is the answer not Porfirio Diaz?
>>
>tfw no one outside of bolivia, chile and peru talks about the war of the Pacific

It's pretty interesting. Chile actually militarily stared down the US, annexed land from biolivia and basically got rich as fuck.

It was basically the seeds of what makes Chile different from other SA nations. They are naturally more first world than the others.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/war-of-the-pacific.htm
>>
>>79476
>winning a war against bolivia
>first world
Wtf are you smoking? chili is a third world shithole
>>
>>79528
With great meat

>>79476
I learned about the War of the Triple Alliance this year. 30 year old murrican.

Ive read like 3 books on it. Shit is fascinating.
>>
File: dt.common.streams.StreamServer.jpg (310 KB, 1024x601) Image search: [Google]
dt.common.streams.StreamServer.jpg
310 KB, 1024x601
>No mention of Francisco Morazan
>>
>>79528
>Chile
sorry.. fucking autocorrect

my gf was from Valparaiso... traveled down south with her, saw the wooden shacks and tin houses there so i dont know who you guys are trying to fool
>>
Any Paraguayans here so Uruguayans, Argentinians and Brazilians can make fun of?
>>
>>80034
I'm Mexican but I was born in Paraguay, does that count?
>>
>>74167
Well, you got fucked by the US a little earlier than the rest of us.
>>
>>72058
Spanish colonization was a mistake. ftfy

Colonization should have been reserved for a competent power.
>>
File: image.jpg (140 KB, 640x617) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
140 KB, 640x617
Reminder that San Martin's crossing of the Andes and all his achievements were napoleonic tier or greater.
>>
>>80401
Spain was very much competent at the time.
>>
>>80622
>you couple hundred niggers better get through this fucking mountain now
>niggers get through mountain
>>
>>80134
>>
>>75091
Solano was crazy, that bit was obvious.
>>
>>80034
eh
we beat Bolivia at least

>>80090
wtf?
whose football player are you son of?
>>
How is Juarez seen in Mexico?
>>
>>80719
Some people love him, but lately, edgy revisionist hate him and price Porfirio Díaz instead.
>>
>>76438
Chavez, much like any other great banana republic leader, had a great political traction that died once he himself died.

Chavez had put down the fucking elite in Venezuela like three times. Maduro has not nearly enough power to dissuade such pressure. So the elite kills the country and together Maduro loses even more international face and internal support.

Such is life in this god forsaken continent.
>>
>>80679
Compare the scale and difficulty of SM's crossing of the Andes to Napoleon's crossing of the Alps and you'll see what I mean.
>>
>>79925
>Valparaiso

This is like a tourist going to Detroit and saying the US is third world
>>
The main problem that we have in Latin America is that we hate each other
>>
>>80401
Spain was a competent power
>>
File: San-Martin.jpg (411 KB, 1370x1600) Image search: [Google]
San-Martin.jpg
411 KB, 1370x1600
Bolivar a shit

San Martin best girl
>>
>>82302
The main problem is inequality, then poverty and violence, depending on which country you live.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.