[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Debate stories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4
File: 1434382123317.jpg (108 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
1434382123317.jpg
108 KB, 803x688
Share your high school or college debate stories.

>be LD debater
>go to Harvard for yearly tourney with my team
>4th round comes
>Mexican dude
>his case has no structure whatsoever
>has nothing to do with the resolution
>muh racism
>muh isolated communities
>my criterion?
>oh that's utility; achieving the greatest amount of good
>yes I'm catering to minorities
>cross examination comes
>you can't be racist to white people, it's impossible
>white people created the dynamic of racism therefore you can't be reverse racist
>call him out on all this shit during attacks
>he gets fucking demolished
>I lost the round anyway

This is why former policy debaters should not be allowed to judge LD.

Also, https://youtu.be/MtTw_G7L6I8
>>
>>712099
So, that point packing screeching thing....is it real?
>>
>>712109
I'm gonna assume you're referring to spreading.
>>
>>712099
Q: Should research scientists be responsible for their inventions?

Everyone else: No.
Me: Yes. Scientists don't become immune from liability by their vocation.

Q: Should a doctor hired by a pro sport team make the call on whether or not a player can play?

Everyone else: Yes.
Me: No. Get 3 doctors, player, team, and neutral.

I think those were worth $500.
>>
>>712118
Google confirms that this is what I mean. Do/did you encounter it?
>>
>>712099
what is that video meant to be of?
why did that girl think it would be a good idea to ask what the constitutional right to whistle blowing was at that point in time?
who were they talking about who falsified evidence?
>>
>>712161
I have. It's an unethical and bullshit tactic that only shit tier debaters use.
>>
>class is talking about data from unethical studies
>me: well it's sad that all those jews had to die from hypothermia but the data can save lives so we shouldn't censor it. Facts are facts, the data itself isn't 'Nazi data' it's just hypothermia data.
>some woman: but that's disrespectful. You're profiting off someone's suffering
>Me: by that logic you shouldn't use anything in this city because we kicked Natives off it to settle here, or you shouldn't use government services because our country fought in wars
>the professor interjects: well anon, some people would argue that you're right! >:^)

Fuck her, nobody thinks I'm right. It was a counterexample that was deliberately ridiculous.
>>
>>712099
What is happening in your video?
>>
>>712099

Not a formal debate, but:

>Go to Yeshiva University
>There was usually a Christian missionary or two hanging around campus.
>Orientation advised us to ignore them as we walk around, do not engage them in debate.
>Lots of people debated a missionary once or twice.
>Hear this one fellow talk about how you can't hold the rabbinic traditions as accurate, the rabbis were wrong about all kinds of things, and therefore you can't view rabbinic interpretations of some passages as accurate.
>Brings up as evidence the widespread contemporary belief that Bar Kokhba was the Messiah.
>Me: And what makes you think Bar Kokhba wasn't the messiah? Not that I do myself, but if you're trying to demonstrate a flaw in Rabbinical reasoning and the superiority of your own, where did the Rabbis go wrong?
>Well, he didn't fulfill messianic prophecy and then he died.
>Start snickering and walk off.
>>
>>712307
Person speaking against anonymous whistleblowing getting destroyed.
>>
>>712184
Wikipedia doesn't have a source for this particular claim, but this article claims spreading is "the norm" at the majority of national circuits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Policy_debate#Style_and_delivery
>>
>>712519

I don't get it.
>>
Real time debates are worthless and harvard must only do them for the meme value
>>
>>712519
>start snickering and walked off
Swallowed a little vomit. You may a well kirtsie with your trench coat and leave withoit rebuttal.
>>
>>712767
That just means the majority of circuits are doing it wrong. You literally can't have a debate if no message is getting across.
>>
>>712795
>worthless
Wrong. They are good practice for getting you to think on your feet and in depth.

While it's true that Harvard's circuit is a complete joke and bastardization of the concept, the actual activity itself is valuable.
>>
>tfw Judge thought I was saying bullshit for telling woman have higher acceptance rates in college.
She just said it was impossible and never checked the data. I mentioned the study ab everything.
>>
>>712099

>be PF debater
>last tournament of the year
>last round of the night
>quite a few of my interp friends decide to watch because they're already done for the evening and would just be sitting in the cafeteria for an hour otherwise. Plus, my partner and I are pretty entertaining as these things go.
>debating senior team
>for their last meet of their high school career, these guys have decided to make a statement since they didn't really care about winning
>their entire opening argument is a rap about how interp events always draw large crowds while no one ever goes to debate events even though we talk about real issues, with the second speaker beatboxing
>there are eight people from my team watching this

I thought the whole situation was pretty hilarious, especially how the majority of their rebuttal speeches were about how 'this was the exception that proved the rule' but my partner was pissed off and wanted to get them disqualified even though they (obviously) lost the round and every other round they went into. Kind of a surreal way to end the night, that was for sure.
>>
>>712821
Sure, but they still get shit on by peer review journals.

Gratz on getting into harvard, play the bs to its full potential and land yourself a nice teaching position.
>>
>>712837

He wasn't accepted into Harvard. He just went to a tournament they were hosting. It's not even clear if he's referring to a High School or a College level tournament.
>>
File: hrhr uncomfortable.jpg (21 KB, 449x395) Image search: [Google]
hrhr uncomfortable.jpg
21 KB, 449x395
>it's a non-native speaker
>he's speaking ridiculously fast
>you're the judge
>>
>friend doing public forum
>convinces me to join debate team my senior year because his partner left
>no experience in debating at all
>don't really prepare at all
>somehow make it to state tournament because most of the competition is a joke
>place 2nd with almost 0 effort and experience
>get into nationals
>they're actually good there
>get knocked out the first day
>cool with it, spend the next day walking around town and playing video games

I come back as a judge infrequently. Judging is much more fun imo.
>>
>>714844
share the fun stories then
>>
>>712519
>>712776
>>712813
The joke is, that is exactly what Jesus did but his own cognitive dissonance lets him look past that

9/10 would destroy missionaries and jews4jesus with
>>
>>712099
I just shout STRAW MAN, STRAW MAN or AD HOMINEM, LOGICAL FALLACY and call it a day, rather than actually discuss any given issue.
>>
>>714874
>>712519
but it's not clever at all
>>
God i hated LD. Met some cool people in my time there but some of the most pretentious assholes I've ever met we're at a tournament.
>>
File: 1451276109259.jpg (29 KB, 400x350) Image search: [Google]
1451276109259.jpg
29 KB, 400x350
Not in debate club but I know a guy
>Always in one of my classes at uni for some reason
>Not even sure what his major is but he makes a point of saying he's on the debate team whenever he's called on
>He always falls back on Marx like its the fucking Good Book and infallible logic
>tries to apply Marx to our religions course
>gets BTFO by students and professors constantly
>still thinks he's hot shit because he's on the debate team
>mfw he gets called on to speak
>>
>in high school
>friend encouraged me to join debate team
>go with it, really good at arguing/proving a point etc.
>first meet
>we walk in, looking professional
>opponent is a guy who would probably unironically love all those shadow the hedgehog edits and probably made his own, and a girl that looks even more autistic
>debate topic is some made up bullshit about a pesticide that kills monarch butterflies that is glaringly wrong
>evidence is literally one page long, read it once and remember everything
>I give my remarks, step down
>for 10 furious seconds autistismo and autisma bend over and scan their pieces of paper at near light speed with their faces approximately 1 inch from the paper
>get up to make remarks
>never heard the word fiat more in my life
>basically took every single phrase I said and said FIAT FIAT about it
>I respond and basically call them out on everything
>go back to the papers and do the autism dance
>we end up winning

thats the story of the one and only time I ever tried the autistic shitshow that is debate.
>>
What happens if you try to teach people the Overman in debates? You'd think in such a self-proclaimed 'scientific age' the will to power and eternal recurrence would be common knowledge, not to mention the history of morality. These are pretty essential to a field where ethics, aesthetics, or naturalism decides the winner.
>>
>>715145
I can answer for LD debate. LD is theoretical debate and while real world examples and scientific studies help to support your case, they have no basis without application. You're trying to prove whether the theory behind the resolution is ethical/moral or not.
>>
>>712099
>>712542
>1st amendment means you can say anything you want.

Uhh.. so a CIA employee can go around giving away secrets? You gotta be a high school level person to think it's a good argument.
>>
>>718139
He was a contractor, not enlisted. I don't think contractors even with sec clearance are held to the same standards as a full employee.
>>
>>718180
That was just an example. The point is that the argument that the first amendment means you can give away any information you want is false.
>>
>be in shitty English course in high school
>debate unit
>assigned a parter, need to spend the rest of class time getting data for our argument
>my partner is high
>we were assigned the position of saying that marijuana is bad for you
>my partner starts arguing that nothing is wrong with getting high while he is high and we are supposed to be putting together an argument that being high is bad
>end up putting together our stuff by myself
>on the day of the debate all of his speaking part is him reading out what I wrote for him
>he was high on that day too
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZeDq90Ar4k
"Why is he barking? Is he debating a dog?"
"ahblahanthethdandthatisthetandhtehat GAH! toandthethafoboverandbuthe RAGH! tobeandthetnadhtnwhatisthe GRAGH!"
>>
>>718139
>confusing legal and social
Posts like this give me fucking cancer, and its why un proffessional arguments will always be shit.
>>
>debated someone on religion
>he said god isnt real
>i just laugh my ass off for a good five minutes
>he pesters me as to why i was just laughing instead of debating him
>"it would be ill advised for me to debate with the mentally disabled."
>walked away laughing leaving him fuming
>in all reality i was not nearly versed enough to debate him at the time then learn about faiths self evidence clause
>he brings up the debate again a few days later
>i use this clause to attack his initial statement that god doesnt exist
>i explain it as that proving whether or not god exists doesnt actually change faith as it always assumes he is, its not the point of faith to question it
>i then say that he is unready to speak about religion if he beleives such an argument has any merit at all
>he seems dumbfounded, im just happy that shut him up
>he becomes a devout muslim and joins isis two years later, his face was shown in a video for a split second and he was in camo.
>huh, woops
>>
>>718245
KEK I wanted to link this but forgot.

ladies and gentlemen of the affirmative, I present you with
American """"""""""""""""""""Debates""""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>718270
I knew this guy back in high school, someone posted this to his Facebook and he hasn't responded
I hope he reads the comments
>>
>>718270
This is an official style of debate and has nothing to do with America.

Policy debate is fucking retarded as it encourages spreading in its modern form. Spreading is not a skill, it is a bad habit. One that needs to be broken. Policy might actually be tolerable without it. Then we just have to deal with the fact that most arguments become circular in policy.
>>
>>718139
You clearly didn't pay attention to what was said.

She asked for the part of the constitution that gave you the right to anonymously report anonymous whistle blowing.
>>
>doing any event other than Extemp

Hahahahhahaahhahahahahhah

Wait, you're serious, let me laugh even harder

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHHAHHAHHA
>>
>>718598
>only doing extemp
Just what kind of scrub are you?

Extemp is piss easy. I got first place the second time I tried it on a topic I knew jack shit about.
>>
>>718266
I'll take "things that never happened for 400", Chris
>>
>Be me
>PuFo, Washington circuit
>Go down to California for Berkeley invitational
>Different rules
>Lose first three rounds
>Fuck it, we're running Off The Rock
>Lose to a bunch of autismos who we could have beaten with a regular case
>Some bitch asks me if I'm bullshiting this
>tothefuckingmoon.jpg
>Lose round
>Weep

It could have been worse, and running stupid shit like that is always fun because people just don't know what to do.
>>
File: 4L_5VDtAF10.gif (2 MB, 359x360) Image search: [Google]
4L_5VDtAF10.gif
2 MB, 359x360
>>718626
>mfw I probably know you
>>
>>718561
>and has nothing to do with America
I've never heard of it happening outside of America.
>>
>>718245

fucking sophists pretending to be dogs now
>>
>be talking about inane stuff with a couple of friends at a quiet pub
>two guys in suits walk up, saying they overheard what we were talking about (it was about whether or not video games taking a turn toward more social justice goals is good for the industry)
>end up getting trounced, both were on a national debate team and also took courses in philosophy in order to refine how to make their arguments better
>I was also drunk and unprepared so I just conceded to their point
>friends get heated because while they agreed with me before, they were probably less drunk because they're white or big or both whereas I am a scrawny asian that gets wasted off two or three pints and one of them is a philosophy/linguistics double major
>things get too tense and the barkeep tells them to get the fuck out
>bouncer shoves us all out, barkeep doesn't care that I wasn't in on this, but allows me to finish my pint and assures me I can come back before telling me to leave
>i walk outside and I already see my friends and the suits squaring off, one of the suits had a bloody nose
>"GONE HOME WAS A MASTERPIECE AND A STEP FORWARD IN THE INDUSTRY!" one of the suits bellowed
>"RUMMAGING AROUND A HOUSE TO FIND OUT ABOUT A GAY CHILD IS NOT A GOOD VIDEO GAME" one of my huge friends yelled back
>immediate brawl in the streets
>i try to stop the fight but black out around there
>friend tells me afterward when I wake up in the drunk tank that one of my other friends elbowed me in the face and I was out cold

worst reason to get put in a cell ever.
>>
>>719134
Is this pasta? I want to believe it's real, but I don't frequent /v/ enough, and this really looks like pasta.
>>
>>712099
>be 14
>only religious person in philosphy class
>only right wing person in philosphy class
>overrun by horde of liberals and rasheeds
>still come out on top
>>
>>720123
Yes, I'm sure as a 14 year old child you had very sensible, well-reasoned positions on religion and politics and impressed many of your contemporaries with your elegant and persuasive arguments. That sounds like something that happened.
>>
Did one of those classroom debates in a politics class where we read John Locke and that other guy who wrote the Leviathan. Me and my team had to argue the Leviathan point of view that there is no right to rebel, while the John Locke team argued for it. All they did was quote John Locke without any substance. We started our opening statements with historical facts backing us up. I was very surprised to have won
>>
I have a friend going into mechanical engineering who is a Young Earther and believes radioactive dating is a sham.

I want to like faith. I want to have faith. I really do. But I just can't get over the ass-backwardness of it.
>>
>>722806
I have a friend whom I met because he joined our wargaming group. He's a damn fine player, in no small part because he can do fairly complicated odds and probability calculations in his head. He also runs his own business, and does quite well at it.

He's also quite religious. They don't have to be gibbering drooling retards, though I've met that type too.
>>
>>718561
Now, I'm not an expert on the rules, regulations, and styles of debate, but I thought that a key point of a debate is being able to understand your opponent.
>>
>>722845
well it is required that to be a debater you have to train yourself to understand the language of dogs
>>
>>722806
>>722817
Americans are retarded, what else is new.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.