[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Find a flaw
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
File: Ataturk.jpg (46 KB, 779x1100) Image search: [Google]
Ataturk.jpg
46 KB, 779x1100
Find a flaw
>>
>>70724
He's a Turk
>>
File: Turk Attaturk.jpg (62 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Turk Attaturk.jpg
62 KB, 640x480
His legacy is no longer respected. His whole ideology was imposed through top-down authoritarianism.
>>
>>70724
not a marxist
>>
>>70724
He tried to save turks, you can't salvage them.
>>
>>70724
He was a proto-fedora desu
>>
>>70752
>dat haircut
>>
>>70738
this
>>
>>70752
>His whole ideology was imposed through top-down authoritarianism.
That's true, but there wasn't exactly another way of doing it. The majority of the people at the time would be unable to grasp the concept of ideology in the first place. His legacy started weakening with the very first successor government, as it turned out that most people around him didn't exactly have the same depth of vision.
No government pursued politics of disseminating his ideas to the people, instead he just became a symbol of authority and dogmatism.

Even today there are many in the older generations that are just realizing the extent and meaning of the things he did. A still large part of the younger generations hold him in great esteem, but a perhaps larger part doesn't want anything to do with him.
>>
>>70724
There are non he is a middle class born self made man who dresses classy and saves the country there is a reason tht every turk aside from the saudi lovers love this man so much.
>>
>>71457

Well, from what I understand, it's the 'European' part of Turkey and the coasts that still admire him (i.e. the CHP voters).

The rest seem to be fine with Erdogan's gradual Islamization of society.

Ataturk tried to apply the French model of laïcité to Turkey, without taking into account that the French population had already developed a strong antagonism to clerical authorities.
>>
>>70738
/thread
>>
>>70724

Isn't it heavily hinted in 40k that he was a previous incarnation of the God Emperor of Mankind?
>>
He massacred innocent Greeks and Armenians at Smyrna

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Fire_of_Smyrna
>Moreover, it is clear that it was done with the full approval of Atatürk, who was determined to find a final solution to his “minority problem” to ensure the future stability of his fledgling Turkish republic.
>>
>>71655
desu split turkey into three countries. West Coast can join the european union. Yellow part becomes and islamic emirate and purple goes to the kurds
>>
>>71655
That has nothing to do with the French case since clerical authority has always been a joke if existent at all in sunnism.
>>
>>70738
ding ding ding
>>
>>71655
That's more or less true, but even the rest aren't necessarily 100% against him. One thing to take into account is that the majority of AKP's votes come from people who have such bad living standards that politics are quite low on their priority list, whoever offers more material support in exchange of votes gets their support, understandably.

>>72036
kek, really?
>>
>>72371

Not just a previous incarnation. He actually was the immortal God-Emperor in one of his many disguises throughout history.
>>
File: 300px-La_s%C3%A9paration.jpg (32 KB, 300x463) Image search: [Google]
300px-La_s%C3%A9paration.jpg
32 KB, 300x463
>>72245

Right, but I mean the French population was already hostile to religion to start off with, when secularism was imposed on a top-down basis in 1905. I don't think it was quite the same in Turkey.
>>
>>70752
t. islamist/kurd/armenian
>>
>>70724
Istanbul
>>
File: genocide in the vendee.jpg (199 KB, 738x393) Image search: [Google]
genocide in the vendee.jpg
199 KB, 738x393
>>71655
>without taking into account that the French population had already developed a strong antagonism to clerical authorities

This is also false. The French intelligentsia was antagonistic to the clergy, but the French population was still sympathetic, that's why it took genocidal policies to beat the French peasantry into submission to the centralized rule of anti-clericals in Paris.

Secularism in the French way is the most evil, repressive, authoritarian and hypocritical policy that ever existed. Laicité as a totalitarian concept is worst than anything Stalin, Mao or Hitler could ever devise.

And that's why I don't have anything nice to say about Ataturk.
>>
Were the genocides his idea?
>>
>>72438
Where is this talked about though?

>>72752
Though no one was killed in the name of secularism in Turkey. Ataturk himself was actually not a fedora.
>>
>>72752

Kek, has the >muh vendée meme spread outside of /fr/ threads on /int/?
>>
>>72823
No, the before last or before-before last sultan, I don't really remember, was the first to put the idea out and the 3 pashas (Enver, Talat and the other guy) were the ones that developed it and really carried it out. Atatürk himself had nothing to do with it.
>>
File: IMG_1496.jpg (235 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1496.jpg
235 KB, 720x1280
His liver didn't work right.
>>
>>70724
He created an artificial nation out of rubble and then purged everyone who didn't fit into his idea creating a ethnically homogeneous country out of thin air. As a result Turks have a ridiculous identity-crisis.
>>
>>70752
>no longer respected
I literally visited a kindergarten in Turkey once where they had this fuckhuge bust of him in the central hall. If you ever talk with a secular turk, especially when they're part of the turkish diaspora, you will immediately notice that they are stil madly in love with the guy
>>
>>73044
lol stoopid
>>
>>73008
topkek
>>
>>73044
Out of the internet nobody gives a shit desu everyone sees eachother as turk aside from maybe a few million kurds that is besides even most akp voters love ataturk they just want a stable government and akp has the highest chance of giving that stability as unfortunate as that is.
>>
>>73101

>a kindergarten in Turkey

What it in one of the regions I've already referred to here? >>71655
>>
File: qazzz.jpg (44 KB, 460x287) Image search: [Google]
qazzz.jpg
44 KB, 460x287
>>73183
The fuck? Ataturk pictures are everywhere lmao. They even do that yearly thing were they stop everything in the country for a minute to show respect for ataturk.
>>
>>73183
Being a goy from the capital (yellow region) myself I can say that there are many kindergartens or primary schools that have his bust. His pictures are pretty much everywhere like >>73230 says, even today. It might be on walls, in the form of busts, in calendars, in pins or on t-shirts, but I think we can safely say that it would be pretty much unthinkable for a person to visit any part of Turkey and not frequently see Atatürk pictures.
>>
>>73183
yes it was roughly 50 km inland from Antalya
>>
>>73306
I knew a girl who even had his signature tatooed on his arm. Something tells me that kind of thing isn't even uncommon.
>>
>>73306
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvlDsHwSAFM

You are from Turkey?

Do you guys do this yearly? Or is it just for certain areas who care about it?
>>
Ataturk was a fedora-tipping fag
>>
>>73410
Literal fedora

>banned the fez in exchange for the fedora instead
>>
>>73441
panama hat*
>>
>>73378
Yearly and normally everywhere (though not necessarily with the accompanying horn, lel). Schools, workplaces and even foreign schools do it.
There certainly must be areas where it's not done anymore, but a decade ago this would be unthinkable.
>>
>>73530
damn thats cool

and then that guy literally claims most dont care about him anymore lol
>>
>>70724
A progressive, positivist and westernernizer tyrant. Defenestrated the entire history of the country. Changed the alphabet. Abolished the Caliphate and shred the confessional system, reducing the Orthodox See to irrelevance. Changed the country's name. Promoted a genocidal process of population removal.

Transformed Turkey on the doormat of Europe.

It is enough damage to one life.
>>
>>73640
>Promoted a genocidal process of population removal.
meh, greeks and turks where pretty much the same, equally brutal
>>
>>73547
Yeah that's certainly not true, but the legacy not being respected is true in a way. Part of this problem (maybe the major part) comes from the fact that as a people we don't like to read. But to really understand the what and why of Atatürk you have to do a fair amount of reading, even if you don't have to read the volumes upon volumes of his own writing. What is done in practice is that people base most of their ideas about him on hearsay and [citation needed], which leads to the creation of a certain subjective image. Plus criticizing him is pretty much a taboo in most circles, out of fear that somehow this can cause disrespect and enmity instead of better understanding.
>>
>>73688
True. But there was no good reason to Smyrna run out Greeks or Western Thrace run out Turks.
>>
>>72832
It isn't, he's wrong. The only person who GE is specifically hinted or referenced to be is Saint George, the Dragonslayer. The Emperor was from Anatolia originally, though. He can be whoever you want.
>>
>>73782
greek and turk rivalry is real man

the only reason greeks have consciption today is because of turks
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.