[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buddhism thread?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: Dharma_Wheel.svg.png (357 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
Dharma_Wheel.svg.png
357 KB, 2000x2000
Buddhism thread?
>>
>>68833
We need a more precise topic. To start with one what do buddhist think about atheism?
>>
>>68874
Some would argue that Buddhism IS a form of atheism. There's no divine god, just a man who attained enlightenment and was a Great Teacher to others

For me, what made me more than just casually interested, was the idea of impermanence and attachment, and how it causes dukkha, or suffering.
>>
Have genuine faith in the name of the Amida Buddha and you will be reborn in the Pure Land!
>>
I've very much a Theravada. but even the Buddha himself said that his teaching shouldn't be taken as doctrine, and that each man must decide for hiimself his path to Nibbana
>>
File: PA294616.jpg (808 KB, 1824x1216) Image search: [Google]
PA294616.jpg
808 KB, 1824x1216
Told the embassy that I want to become a monk and got my visa in 15 minutes.
Shit was cash.
>>
Anyone interested in New Kamakura Buddhism? Nichiren is a fraud. Dougen is actually a pretty cool guy.
>>
>>69448
Well, are you gonna become a monk or not Kevin?
>>
>>68874
What kind of atheism are we talking about exactly? Just the non-existence of "God", or more?
>>
>>70795
That was implied.
The Ajahn Chah tradition has an english speaking monastery.
>>
>>70936
Well, maybe you tricked them to get the visa. I probably would.
>>
>>68874
Buddhism doesn't really take a stance, but it does take a stance in that the contemplation of the idea of a God(s) is wasteful, and that the possible existence of one is irrelevant.
>>
>>71011
So I can fuck trannies for a year without going on visa runs?
Nah, I'd rather go meditating.
>>
>>69448

What? Is it really that easy? Explain.
>>
>>71094
Why not both?
>>
>>71114
Beats me, maybe the consul had a good day?

>>71164
You raise a valid point and have given me much to think about.
>>
>>69448

Why go to Thailand when there are so many Western monasteries, many of them from Ajahn Chah's lineage? Thailand isn't hurting for monks but Western monasteries can use every monk they can get if the monastic tradition is going to last in the West.
>>
>>71379
Monks are forbidden from all sexual activity and a person that finds it ok to have sex with random people, and prostitutes to boot, won't be receiving much if not any benefit from the practice.
>>
>>71494
I went to cittaviveka and amaravati in england and they were both overflowing with anagarikas.
Also the standards of practice seemed rather relaxed comparted to wat pah nanachat.

>>71510
thatsthejoke.png
>>
>>71662
There are many who think monks could also fug man, you never know.
>>
Tell me about the Tibetan Empire, /mu/
>>
File: IMAG9936.jpg (331 KB, 1280x848) Image search: [Google]
IMAG9936.jpg
331 KB, 1280x848
>>71733
There is quite a bit of irony to be found here.
The buddhist nation of Thailand is being corrupted by western consumerism.
At the same time buddhism is being revived by westerners that go there to do proper practice.
>>
>>71935
Unfortunately so. Honestly the fact that many actual committed monks can still be found in Thailand is pretty surprising in itself.
>>
>>71662
>Also the standards of practice seemed rather relaxed comparted to wat pah nanachat.

Shitty. I've been to Bhante Gunaratana's place on the East Coast of the U.S. and Abhayagiri over in California and was generally disappointed with both for various reasons. They did only have two and one anagarikas, respectively.

I hope I don't end up having to go to Thailand. I know my Dad's going to really miss having me around and it'll be bad enough without going to the other side of the world. My last hope over here is Thanissaro Bhikkhu's monastery, also over in Cali. His Dhamma talks that I've read are very legit but I suppose there's no way to know if his monastery lives up to the standards of his talks without going to visit. If it turns out that they're half assing it there as well then I might end up seeing you in Thailand.
>>
>>72282
Was the practice itself bad or was it just a question of anagarikas?
>>
>>72408
>Was the practice itself bad or was it just a question of anagarikas?
I can't judge anyones practice but my own.
The senior monks that I met in western branch monasteries all seemed legit to me.
You don't really get to know them until you're part of the sangha.
What I was missing was a sense of sincerity in the practice.
In Thailand the practice was imbedded in the cultural background, the ubon province being culturally conservative.
Thai people that come to offer dana in western monasteries are always very easy going, so are the monks.

>>72282
> I know my Dad's going to really miss having me around and it'll be bad enough without going to the other side of the world.
I can relate to that but if my family has to visit me in Thailand they'll have to go way out of their comfort zone.
It'll be good for them.
>>
>>72408

Well, Bhante G's place had, I think, only three resident monks which seemed like a poor endorsement of a monastery that was established thirty years ago. Aside from that, it seemed structured as more of a meditation retreat center than a monastery.

Abhayagiri is in a really beautiful location, on a mountainside up in Cali's redwood valley area and had closer to seven or eight monks but the Abbot seemed sort of flaky. His talks and responses to questions from laypeople were pretty uninspired and definitely didn't make me think, "Yes, this is someone I want to come and learn the Dhamma from."

There was also one point where we were gathered in one of the main halls before a meal. A fly was buzzing around and landed on his robe and he quickly reached down, snatched it up in a closed fist and carried it outside to let it go. And it sounds nice and all but there's no way you can guarantee you're not going to kill the fly when you try something like that even if you're a young guy with top tier reflexes, much less in your sixties. I wonder what he would have done if he had missed by a fraction of a second and crushed the fly instead - "I didn't intend to kill it, so it's ok"?

I think that was the main thing that turned me off of wanting to stay there, though no one else there seemed to notice or care. I dunno, maybe I'm overreacting.
>>
>>72903
I see. I can understand what you felt about the fly incident.

>which seemed like a poor endorsement of a monastery that was established thirty years ago.
I believe the whole monasticism thing is still not something that sits well with many Western Buddhists. It's true that the sense of community is much stronger in societies where this is traditional.

>>72821
How does it actually work in your situation? Do you go through screening or a novice period first, or do you directly join the monks?
Also are you doing a temporary ordination, or are you planning on becoming a monk for good?
>>
>>73203
>Do you go through screening or a novice period first, or do you directly join the monks?
The ajahn chah tradition has two stages of monk apprenticeship, anagarika and samanera.
Before becoming an anagarika you should stay three months as a lay person.
It's a good casual filter, other theravada sects just ordain you straight away.

>Also are you doing a temporary ordination, or are you planning on becoming a monk for good?
I can certianly see myself commiting to the monastic lifestyle.
>>
>>73591
How does actually going there work? Did you already contact people in the area you're going to, or are you going to do that once you're in Thailand?

>I can certianly see myself commiting to the monastic lifestyle.
That's great. I wish you success.
>>
>>68833
Why did you use a picture of the chaos star?
>>
>>73865
I wrote a letter in advance to the guest monk of wat pah nanachat.
I already know him so I have little doubt they're going to let me stay when I ask for a refuge.
So I'll just show up on their doorstep by end of this month.
>>
>>74001
Thanks for the answers
>>
>>68833
>Optimistic Nihilism
That's pretty much it.
>>
>>74425
m8, "buddhism is nihilism" is really so last century.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.