[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What made Europe so sucessful in colonizing the world?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 223
Thread images: 10
File: 2000px-European_Empires.svg.png (423 KB, 2000x964) Image search: [Google]
2000px-European_Empires.svg.png
423 KB, 2000x964
What made Europe so sucessful in colonizing the world?
>>
Gunpowder
>>
I'm white but this unfairness is killing me
>>
>>67718
Europe formed the concept of the nation state fairly early. Due to them being unified (in a way) it was easy for them to expand easily without too much internal conflicts.
>>
Doctrine, organisation, better weapons.
>>
>>67718
A long history of seafaring, a foresight attributable to preparing for long winters and a very politically splintered landmass, leading to constant competing with each other.
>>
>>67765
This
Also superior arms in general, and the fact that other potential global superpower (China) suffered from economic and social crisis.
>>
>>67718
Gunpowder, Heavy Armour and Capitalism
>>
>>67765
>>67821
Other countries/empires/entities had gunpowder.
>>
>>67718
The era of large colonialism began after medicines vaccination against diseases such as malaria became common. Before then colonialism was kept to coastal fortifications. I would say the advance of medicine was the major factor.
>>
ITT: people implying there was only one cause and making their political beliefs painfully clear by which cause they choose
>>
>>67856
There were only two non-European powers keeping up with Europe in the 15th to 18th centuries; and they were the Safavid Empire and Ottoman Empire.

Sadly despite their hegemony and dominance over the Near East, parts of Central Asia, the Caucasus regions, and North Africa they never thought to colonize new parts of the world.
>>
guns n germs n shit
>>
>>68105
/pol/ pls go
>>
>>67999
>cisgender white people :'(
>>
>>68105
Having pale skin doesn't equate to being white. Many peoples not classified as "White" are born pale skinned, such as East Asians, Arabs, etc.

The ruling classes of any society were usually lighter skinned because they weren't peasants working the fields 24/7 basking in the sun.
>>
>>68132

More like Schopenhauer's echo than /pol/ desu
>>
>>68157
>Having pale skin doesn't equate to being white. Many peoples not classified as "White" are born pale skinned, such as East Asians, Arabs, etc

You are right, the whiteness of the aryan qualities are displayed partly in the skull shape and other admirable features. The negroid features are grotesque even to the native observers and even Jewish prophets such as Jesus are usually displayed as part of the Nordic race in the church art, rather than their obviously inferior semitic specimen.

>The ruling classes of any society were usually lighter skinned because they weren't peasants working the fields 24/7 basking in the sun.

White man was not created to work in the fields basking in the sun.
>>
>>68157
Arabs don't have pale skin, they define themselves in their own words as generally being swarthy and brown skinned. There are Greeks who have olive complexions and are white, just like there are still pale Persians who are white too.
>>
>>67718
Their habits of mating with their farm animals together with a tendency of living in disgunting filth made them biological weapons of mass disease.
>>
>>68228
>mfw I have no face for this

>>68230
Arabs are still naturally pale enough (for the most part) to where the ruling classes would most likely be much lighter than the peasants.
>>
>>68316
>Arabs are still naturally pale enough
>(for the most part)
No they aren', eugenics kun.
>to where the ruling classes would most likely be much ligher than the peasents.
Why would they be magically lighter skinned? They are Semitic people who originate from the deserts of the Levant and arid regions of the Arabian peninsula. The only "light" skinned Arabs I know of are some Lebanese who historically are a mixed people because that region was primarily colonized by Iranians, Greeks, Romans, and Macedonians so there's still genetic leftovers of those older societies blanda upping together.

But by and far Arabs and most Semites in general are swarthy and very brown. I don't think this has anything to do with their society, culture, or accomplishments but this magical belief that higher castes in Arab society being lighter skinned is nonsensical.
>>
>>67718
>/pol/ bait thread #994289
>>
File: faygobelly.jpg (27 KB, 500x379) Image search: [Google]
faygobelly.jpg
27 KB, 500x379
gunz germz and steel
>>
>>67718

A well-developed bureaucracy
>>
>>67718
Too many reasons to cite in one post
But if you want a not too indepth easy to access place to read about it I think flowofhistory(dotcom) is an interesting site for quick skimming, it has mindmaps you see and an easy to follow narrative
>>
>>67718
Luck, the same principle that rules the universe.
>>
>>67785
Hey, you get all the oceans, you don't get to complain.
>>
>>67718
Economics, luck, and factors so ridiculously complex that they might appear to be luck.
>>
>>68140
How insecure do you have to be to defend your politics whenever someone mentions them?
>>
>>67718
they wus kings and shit
>>
>>67718
Gunpowder weapons, steel armor and capital enterprise.
>>
>>67718
Economics and ships.

The latter enabled the former.
>>
>>70875
Nope, try again.
>>
>>67718
Greed and they were damn good at it. Their greed had them innovate on a scale unparalleled to the Arabs and Asians at that time. That greed, in turn, gave them better technology and were able to conquer others.

It's not luck in the slightest, it was greed. You teach a man how to fish, he'll set up a business and teach others his trade.

Everyone loves money.
>>
>>67718
The Caucasian and East Asian races have higher avg. IQs than any other races. That's why these two races are the winners.
>>
>>67718
Greed and they were damn good at it. Their greed had them innovate on a scale unparalleled to the Arabs and Asians at that time. That greed, in turn, gave them better technology and were able to conquer others.

It's not luck in the slightest, it was greed. You teach a man how to fish, he'll set up a business and teach others his trade.

Everyone loves money and vice versa.
>>
>>70951
Nah, I'll stick with that. The first two facilitated the third while the third gave them drive to use the first two.

Eat me.
>>
>>71006
>gunpowder weapons
In no way relegated to the west.
>steel armour
In no way relegated to the west.
>capital enterprise
Relatively modern i.e. after growth of global European power.
>>
Complex economies and the differentiated social structures they form. The reason you see differing levels of social complexity is due to scarcity and the development of economy. This is most easily seen through the advent of civilization in the middle east, where vast cities and power structures arose to defend and profit off key resources. In Peru the development of the proto quippu and city planning began after a climactic shift changed their ability to gather resources and forced them into semi sedentary lifeways, which further led to the Incas later

Basically, having these complex economies granting them greater organizational power combined with infectious disease and better weapons allowed quick native dispersal or capture
>>
>>71063
Cheap steel occurred in two places, China and Europe, that's it. Everywhere else it was expensive, time consuming and impractical to use in large numb-

What the fuck am I doing?

I'm right, I don't care what you think.
>>
File: bashar-al-assad_2576564k.jpg (70 KB, 858x536) Image search: [Google]
bashar-al-assad_2576564k.jpg
70 KB, 858x536
>>68608
How do you explain this then?
>>
>>67718
The only regions with a comparable level of development were perfectly happy turtling up in their corner of the world and everywhere else was hundreds or thousands of years behind. Then those comparable regions were quickly eclipsed by yuros who put their newly plundered wealth to work.
>>
>>71126
Yeah, I'm thinking of China and India in particular (I'd count the Ottomans as European, what with a large chunk of their empire being in Europe).
>I'm right, I don't care what you think.
That about sums up this stillborn failure of a board.
>>
>>71126
This, also technological superiority. It's nice to have some iron, but processing it en masse with a water powered hammer really takes you places.
Contrary to libkek propaganda muslims for example weren't all that inventive in this field.
>>
>>67999
What are my political beliefs if I attribute European success to their naval prowess? Different people specialized differently due to their environments, Europe was in a unique situation that shipbuilding was particularly advantageous. For example the Americas were also light years ahead in agriculture.
>>
>>71298
He's talking about the guys putting it down to capital enterprise, despite extreme mercantilism and state-granted monopolies being the order of the day.
>>
>>67718
Perpetual internal strife between roughly equal parties on all levels since the collapse of the Roman Empire. In the power vacuum violence, social unrest and regime change were a common occurence, and whenever anyone looked like they might have a shot at being the top dog, everyone else teamed up on them. Basically, conditions that forced you to constantly adapt or accept some form of bondage.

At some point, overseas trade and military expansion became easier and more profitable than trade wars and land grab attempts from your crazy neighbours who knew all your tricks. Anyone tired of the instability that was status quo could also fuck off overseas and try their luck in a friendly, fellow European-free environment.

Once it became apparent that conquest and fleecing of ass-backwards peoples is absurdly easy and lucrative, everyone capable jumped the colonial bandwagon to make profits and deny them to their sworn enemies.
>>
>>71252
>>71252
>I don't care to argue with you about something I already know
>hurr ur a failure
ok

have fun having inane arguments for hours on end and accomplishing fuck all. I'm going to go do laundry,
>>
>>67718
Necessity.

European states were forced by the Ottoman conquests to venture in into the Atlantic to find alternate ways to get to China and India. Britain, Spain, Portugal, the Dutch and France already had experience sailing in Atlantic waters and building deep water ships because of their geography. Thus over time they accumulated a naval advantage over everyone because they had the appropriate knowledge, resources, and most importantly, incentives.

This of course led them to the goldmine of resources that is the Americas.

Same thing with land armies. European states weren't just fighting each other, they were fighting the Ottomans as well. Every region in the world was quieter relative to Europe. So necessity ensured rapid innovation in land warfare. The Ottomans tried to keep up, but with America at its back, European states eventually out-resourced the Ottomans.
>>
>>71357
Anon, if you didn't want to argue about your opinions, you shouldn't have posted them. That's literally all this board is for.
>>
>>67718
they're one of the smarter races. they were more successful than other smart races (east asians, semites) because of their values and how they organized their nations.
>>
>>67718
race
>>
>>71514
>>71569
This isn't /pol/ or /int/, you guys get that right?
>>
>>71615
Did you read op's question? Those could be viable explanations. Argue against them if you don't agree.

And who gives a fuck about /pol/ and /int/? They're the boogie man for any opinion or thought that people don't like on here.
>>
>>71693
Yeah, but they're obviously just dank memeposters trying to be funny.

They're not the boogie man for any opinion or thought people don't like. It's fucking annoying when retards bring obviously political or internationally focused comments into a historical board.

Although I admit I'm incredibly butthurt that this board got made at all, because no there's no defence for historical threads on /tg/ and this board is useless due to /pol/acks getting overly defensive when people ask them to take politics to the damn political board.
>>
>>71831
>there's no defence for historical threads on /tg/
You can still make them, I doubt jannies will be enough of cunts to delete them.
>>
>>67718

Against the natives, technology and organization. As for the British versus everyone else, a history of seafaring led to control of the seas.
>>
Europeans are more intelligent than Africans and Asians. This is the root cause of most all explanations of European global supremacy.
>>
>>71831
not wanting to hear a racial reason for euro success comes off as being just as political as wanting a racial reason for it.

there may be politics involved for such conclusions, or there may not be. more discussion is required.
>>
>>71955
No it doesn't because of the damn context of the comment.

It is obvious that the answer was not serious. It was just playing along with /int/ and /pol/ (this is why I'm saying "/int/ and /pol/" in the first place) memes. It's highly doubtful they actually think it in the first place.

What if I had answered "they had more sad green frogs"? Would my answer have been valid?
>>
File: euromap.png (148 KB, 1000x482) Image search: [Google]
euromap.png
148 KB, 1000x482
It was in one of the best positions to do it. Unopposed ocean is all that stood in the way.

Crude map explanation.
>>
>>72011
it already was valid. don't even bother arguing with someone who seriously takes race as a means of explaining the spread of european mercantilism
>>
>>71960
>it's because they evolved a higher intelligence
Citation needed
>>
Europeans were so successful due to higher intelligence.

They evolved to have a higher intelligence because it was needed for them to adapt to the crappy European climate and survive numerous brutal wars and invasions.
>>
>>72116
Euros have the second best environment m8. Chinese have the best, obviously.

This is good, 'cause it meant Europe never had any insanely colossal wars killing fucking millions, just about three (and they were quite small proportionally).
>>
>>72011

>What if I had answered "they had more sad green frogs"? Would my answer have been valid?

uh, no. they didn't use memes to conquer lands. you could make an argument for racial differences leading to success.
>>
>>72192
So you're saying sea-sick melancholic Frenchmen never contributed to European power?
>>
>>72116
Pleb answer. Higher intelligence is a result of success, not the reverse. Human intelligence is not a racial characteristic.
>>
>>72153

What? Africa has much better environments, much more rich in resources, with no harsh winters to overcome.
>>
>>72310
go back to /pol/ nazi
>>
>>72251
>Human intelligence is not a racial characteristic.

Yes it is. What the are you on? Look up IQ differences by race.

Intelligence is just another trait that some groups of people need more than others for survival. Basic evolution.
>>
>>72265
No...
>>72310
Human intelligence is obviously not a racial characteristic.
>>
>>72330
Lol, there it is. No argument. Just "omg nazi, /pol/"
>>
>>72310
>>72360
No it's not. There is no evidence that intelligence is racial.

All IQ comparisons are hilariously unreliable and unscientific. No I'm not handwaving it, I have seen the raw data and collection methods and they're a joke.

A prime example was the comparison of the IQ of 13 poverty stricken African children with several thousand Australian white males.
>>
>>72376
go back to /pol/ nazi
>>
>>72362
You're full of it. Provide evidence.

IQ tests consistently show there is.
>>
>>72403
Go to college and I'll consider checking out /pol/
>>
>>72418
Show these tests with sources and raw data.
>>
>>72427
go back to /pol/ nazi
>>
>>67718
>What made Europe so sucessful in colonizing the world?
Numerous factors. Like most things in history you can't really point to one thing and say "this is why X happened" whether it is the fall of the Roman Empire or the allied victory in WW1. One has to look at a few things that were going on at the time. Europeans were looking to trade with India and Asia without passing through the middle east, the city of Baghdad, and with it the center of Islamic learning, wealth, and power was destroyed by Mongols, the Native Americans were nearly wiped out by diseases, and the few truly organized and powerful states in the Americas were either in the midst of internal conflict (like the Incas) or surrounded by enemies (like the Aztecs) when the Europeans arrived.

Put simply Europeans wanted to trade with Asia and thus started going around Africa and eventually venturing west to reach Asia without having to go through Muslim lands which were constantly being conquered by Mongol and Turkish warlords. When they arrived in the Americas the vast majority of the population was decimated by numerous diseases they had no immunity to. Whatever resistance remained in the Americas was countered either by every surrounding kingdom throwing their lot in with the Europeans, or by internal strife weakening the kingdoms from within. By the time it was over Spaniards and Portuguese had control over more than an entire continent of resources, while the main powers outside of Europe were still cleaning up from the Mongols pushing their shit in meaning that even if the Muslims were in a geographical position to colonize the Americas (they weren't) they were by no means in the political or financial situation to do so.
>>
Mostle because europe is one of the only regions where people actually had the interest in doing so. Take China for example, they had much better seatravel than we did and much sooner than we did. But they just didn't have an interest in colonizing the world because they thought everything else is worse than China anyway, so why colonize/discover?
>>
>>72467
go to college, idiot
>>
>>72489
Please show me the evidence, with sources and raw data.
>>
>>72489
>>72496
go back to /pol/ nazis
>>
>>72489
Differences in IQ aren't caused by race they're caused by lifestyle and upbringing. Blacks have much shittier lives and are then less intelligent.

Blacks raised normally are normal people with normal intelligence.
>>
>>72418
The Flynn Effect proves you're full of shit.

Going out onto the street and talking to a nigger proves I'm not.
>>
>>72510
go to college, idiot
>>
Luck, gunpowder, perfect area to grow crops. If the Sahara didn't dry up, there would probably be some competition for a while.
>>
>>71131
crusader rapebaby?
>>
>>72562
>edgy teenagers desperately trying to prove to themselves that they're different and better than the rest for seeing the truth
>not needing to go to college
>>
>>72491
China thought they were the center of the world, so they assumed the world would come to them and they didn't need the world because it had nothing to offer. Oh the world did come to them, but it didn't ask for permission.
>>
>>72560
>The Flynn Effect

no it doesn't. it shows when populations have better resources their iqs will rise. but guess what? while all of the race's iqs will rise they will still all have different average iqs.
>>
>>72491
Why are smugness and arrogance so deeply ingrained into East Asian culture? Japan's hubris cost themselves a war, and even the fucking KOREANS who have never done anything are arrogant as fuck.
>>
>>72591
you have no argument for anything, just the worn out nazi insult meant to stifle discussion. but you don't need to go to college. okay.
>>
>>72649
Only a nigger would be stupid enough not to realise that the Flynn effect proves IQ tests aren't a direct measure of intelligence.
>>72661
>you
Anonymous image board, fucktard.
>>72619
Which can be attributed to other factors. Correlation does not equal causation. This is basic shit, anon.
>>
>>72618
True but after a series of sea travels (can't remember the exact date) long distance sea travel actually became forbidden and the ships were destroyed. Trade was almost entirely forbidden and merchants were seen as the lowest people.
>>
>>72701
>Correlation does not equal causation

it implies the possibility of causation. jesus christ, are you really this dumb? they have done so many controlled iq tests that they've pretty much ruled out any non-biological cause for the racial differences in iq.
>>
>>72751
>it implies the possibility of causation
And the possibility of something else causing it.

No one's come up with these mythical controlled IQ tests, by the way. Are you going to?
>>
>>72701
yep still no fucking argument. thought so. if you want to learn how to debate on this image board instead of shit post maybe you should go to college.
>>
>>72725
Yeah it was when emperor (I can't remember name) died and a very traditionalist emperor took his place. Apparently the chinese fleet would have laughed at any fleet European countries had to offer at that time. So in that sense, luck and just bad decision making from China helped them to become world superpowers.
>>
>>72784
That's why the Flynn effect still occurs nowadays, obviously.
>>72786
Argument doesn't mean "something that agrees with me", anon.
>>
>>72651
>never done anything
Korea actually did a lot.
They expelled the Japanese invasions twice in ancient history, reformed their own writing system rather than using Chinese characters like the Japanese and created a massive economic growth in the 70s and 80s.
>>
>>72847
oh, really? did you learn that before you dropped out of high school?

just go to college, guy.
>>
>>72795
Columbus his ship compared to the ship of Zheng He
>>
File: 1689309_orig.jpg (131 KB, 600x402) Image search: [Google]
1689309_orig.jpg
131 KB, 600x402
>>72897
Zheng He's discovery fleet
>>
>>72882
You just proved that it wasn't to do with the war but to do with immigration, fucktard.
>>72891
Get off this board and start your fucking homework.
>>
>>72897
>>72940
Was China actually a great civilization or is it just a meme pushed by anti-European fags?
>>
>>72969
The second world war.
>>72784
>>
>>72991
It actually was, it could have discovered and colonized the world long before we did but they just didn't have an interest to do so. They just were too arrogant.
>>
>>67823
>Capitalism
I think you mean feudalism, capitalism only came about much later, around the late 19th century, as Europe became more industrialized.
>>
File: 1446500120287.jpg (26 KB, 600x405) Image search: [Google]
1446500120287.jpg
26 KB, 600x405
>>72783
>>
>>72783
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Transracial_Adoption_Study

http://web.missouri.edu/~segerti/1000H/Bouchard.pdf
>>
>>73073
I know what you said faggot. I'm not going to type every fucking thing out, unless you're severely autistic you can work meaning out from context.
>>
Please remove this thread and this whole board with it
>>
>>72949
go back to highschool, m8
>>
>>72265
>What? Africa has much better environments, much more rich in resources, with no harsh winters to overcome.
Harsh winters mean less horrible fucking bugs all the time.

There's a reason european colonists were so much more successful in areas that freeze in the winter.
>>
>>73161
Oh, so you ARE severely autistic. My mistake; should have expected it on this board.
>>73195
Don't you have to worry about that bully taking all your lunch money or something?
>>
>>73225
my god, you people are just reaching now. harsh winters are fucking hard to survive without modern tech and require some fucking planning and though to survive.

and of course they're successful, they're smart. they had to be to live and survive where they do.
>>
>>73238
shouldn't you be worried about how dumb uneducated you are?
>>
>>73238
>Oh, so you ARE severely autistic.
No, you're the one unable to communicate. Stop projecting your autism on everyone else.
>>
>>73280
>I know you are but what am I
You could take some tips from >>73275. I hear he's all down with the hot new highschool comebacks.
>>
>>72265
>Africa has much better environments, much more rich in resources, with no harsh winters to overcome.

Africa has fiercer wild life
>>
File: china-ming-large[1].gif (32 KB, 550x531) Image search: [Google]
china-ming-large[1].gif
32 KB, 550x531
Thing to remember about China is that they WERE colonizing stuff.

It's just that, today, they pretend those areas have always been part of China, and we believe them.

They didn't ignore sea travel out of "decadence" but so that they could focus on securing their overland territories, which they control today. (Unlike most european colonies)
>>
File: 1406318656701.jpg (495 KB, 1813x1240) Image search: [Google]
1406318656701.jpg
495 KB, 1813x1240
Oh wow, I just got warned for this post : >>72649

This is exactly what I feared. The mods are niggerloving keks who refuse to allow facts which go contrary to their kekoldry to be posted.

Oh well, back to /pol/ with me. Shame, I love history. But I guess that the mods won't allow any threads except for Karl Marx generals and threads about how we wuz kings, since they themselves fantasize about having big thick nigger cocks shoved simultaneously in their anuses and mouths.
>>
>>72265
Africa also has crippling diseases for that kill withing weeks. If a European was stationed in Central Afrika during the 17th century his general life expectansy was just 3 months
>>
>>73225
Lol, so other people didn't succeed because.....

BUGS! Those killer bugs stopped everybody right in their tracks. They just couldn't succeed. Those nasty bugs held them back.

Thank god white people didn't have to deal with that horror, right?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>73259
>and of course they're successful, they're smart. they had to be to live and survive where they do.
Europeans did try to colonize Africa the way they colonized North America, but were unsuccessful due to malaria, crop blights, insects, livestock-killing diseases, etc.

Africa is by no means "easy mode," as anyone could tell you.
>>
SPAIN STRONG

SPAIN NUMERO UNO

SPAIN FIRST WORLDWIDE EMPIRE
>>
>>73318
oh right, haha, now it's the wild life. oh boy does it require a lot of brain power and resources to run from wildlife. couldn't do anything because, well, lions.
>>
People are claiming that intelligence is a racial feature and then startva discussion about the different enviroments of europe and china. So that makes it an enviromental feature not a racial one?
>>
>>73334
Try using real evidence next time
>>
>>73340
Infect yourself with malaria and see how that feels
>>
>>73340
>Thank god white people didn't have to deal with that horror, right?

Your incredulity is not an argument. It's difficult to colonize a region when all your livestock die, insects devastate your crops, and you have malaria.
>>
still waiting for

>we waz kingz and shitz
>>
>>73361
oh and now it's diseases that held them back. we'll just ignore all of the diseases that europeans had to deal with.
>>
>>73403
I already posted real evidence.

You just said something along the line "...mumble mumble...muh flynn effect...mumble mumble"
>>
>>73340
Have you never heard of malaria or are you just retarded?
>>
>>73400
intelligence is something that evolves in response to environment. those are not two unrelated things.
>>
>>73404

central/south america have diseases similar to malaria
>>
>>73416
>oh and now it's diseases that held them back. we'll just ignore all of the diseases that europeans had to deal with.
Malaria is spread by insects you stupid fuck.

Like, I understand that you are rolling your eyes at me but that doesn't actually counter anyone's argument.
>>
>>73336
>>73340
>>73361
>>73386

Average Life expectancy for European missionaries in west africa in the 19th century was 2 years and a single month.
>>
>>73416
>oh and now it's diseases that held them back. we'll just ignore all of the diseases that europeans had to deal with.
Such as the ones that caused most European colonial populations in Africa to fail?
>>
>>73440
Yes but humans haven't evolved racially in a very long time..
>>
>>73453
Yes and? Without spanish Colonisation the peoples living there would be worse then most of Africa.
>>
>>73498
>Yes but humans haven't evolved racially in a very long time..
Human evolution is going on right now...
>>
>>73404
infect yourself with any deadly disease anyone anywhere had to deal with.

>>73407
neither is that when everybody had to deal similar. not only did europeans have diseases that destroyed people, livestock, crops they had weather that destroyed those things. winter comes early? they're fucked. their crops die and they don't have enough food for winter.

there is no well argued anything in this whole thread.
>>
Genetics.

Natural selection in Europe - driven by climatic factors in the last ice age - produced a race of human that was stronger, more intelligent and intuitive than the others.

Why? Simply because they had to be. Their environment was much harsher than that encountered in N.America or Africa.
>>
>>67718
Dominant military force during the age of discovery
>>
>>73508
Africa has more of those deadly diseases that spread through the wildlife than anywhere else on the world, what is your point.
>>
>>73520
Does that mean the jews lived in the harshest climate of all?
>>
>>73507
Yes but evolution is slow. We are nowhere near close enough in terms of time to distinctly be separated by region or skin tone
>>
>>73549
Yes.

Jews had a pretty hard time during the middle ages.
>>
>>73454
no shit, dumb fuck. that's not why i'm laughing at you. europe has bugs that spread disease, they have rats that spread disease. your whole idea that africans were so far behind because of bugs and diseases is dumb. remember all those historical events in europe where a good portion of their population, or their cattle, or their craps were wiped out due to such things? yeah, they happened, and europeans still succeeded.
>>
>>73520
Natural selection =/= genetics One can lead to a change in the other but only in very few cases.

People have this thing called communication, which also helps a lot in surviving harsh climates, it helps better than natural selection. That's for sure.
>>
>>73549

Ashkenazi Jews are descended from Europeans; they are 'white.'
>>
>>73557
>We are nowhere near close enough in terms of time to distinctly be separated by region or skin tone
Are you trolling? It's pretty obvious that races are separated by skin tone. Or did I misunderstand?
>>
>>73498
i hope you're joking. you obviously don't understand evolution.
>>
>>73508
>neither is that when everybody had to deal similar. not only did europeans have diseases that destroyed people, livestock, crops they had weather that destroyed those things. winter comes early? they're fucked. their crops die and they don't have enough food for winter.
>there is no well argued anything in this whole thread.
Calm down and type more carefully.

Diseases and insects in Africa were objectively worse than other places, due to how European colonists in Africa tended to fail due to those exact factors (except in South Africa where the environment was somewhat less hostile).

Ultimately, europeans chose to "colonize" by conquering and administering local populations, rather than establishing colonies of white settlers.

Bad weather is a lot easier to deal with, as long as the climate allows for decent growing seasons.
>>
>>67718
Well the factors that would go into making Europe successful are far and varied. You can't point to one single factor since Europe, is not one single cultural, political, or even economic landscape. For example, you can't even say Europe successfully colonized the world, only Western Europe did. Central, and Eastern Europe were left mostly in the dust. This could most likely be attributed to a strong entrepreneurial spirit, and the willingness to take on such a undertaking. Other theories might state however, that Europeans just had suffered the ultimate challenge in the form of the dark ages/medieval ages, to rise up, and launch itself unto the world state (Think rocky in historical terms).
>>
>>73520
Why didn't the eskimos #rek everything
>>
>>73334
That picture is just so fucking wrong.

Did the Kingdom of Mali never mine for gold?
>>
>>73570
And Africa had all those things AND Malaria and the Tse Tse fly causing sleeping disease.

Justinian's Plague originated in central africa, the bubonic Plague is still active in some parts of the country.
>>
>>73604
>Bad weather is a lot easier to deal with, as long as the climate allows for decent growing seasons.

proof?
>>
>>73570
>and europeans still succeeded.
Not in Africa.

When white people came to America, the diseases killed the natives. When white people came to Africa, the diseases killed the white people.

(Indeed, many of the diseases that killed the natives were transmitted from Africa via trade)
>>
>>73631
they also had more natural resources
>>
>>73059
Feudalism was not in existence during the main time of colonialism (16th-19th century). It had long since been replaced by stronger kings in France who had destroyed the idea for the most part, and was replaced with a more decentralized form of monarchy in England. The area known was Germany was varied, and I am not completely sure on the state of Austria. The only European state to have a surviving form of Feudalism would be Russia, and at that they never colonized much.
>>
>>73587
If they are so gennetically different how are they able to breed succesfully time after time.
>>
>>73637
they were pretty successful in africa, i'd say. what, there was like one or two countries on the whole continent that wasn't colonized by them?
>>
>>73587
We are all still very very similar in terms of genetics, there won't be an official branching off point in terms of evolution until a long time from now
You can argue about genes, but don't misuse the term "evolution"
>>
>>68028
>muh guns
>muh germs
>muh steel
Kek
>>
>>73650
It takes a lot longer for species to differentiate you fucking idiot. Homo Sapiens was still able to have fertile offspring with Neanderthal, and they separated more than 1.5 million years ago.

Read a fucking book.
>>
>>73648
They colonized a lot of land, just most of it was sparsely populated.
>>
>>73634
As proven by humans managing to eke out an existence everywhere that can manage decent growing seasons, regardless of the weather.

The American Midwest has tornadoes with effects that resemble a small atom bomb, but it's still the breadbasket because you can replace a few hundred dead people and rebuild. If a legit swarm of locusts eats all your food every year, you can't fix that shit by insulating your house.
>>
>>73650
uhh, what? why wouldn't they be? we could breed with other species of human. wolves breed with coyotes.
>>
>>73647
More than who? France? Navarra?

If you're answer is Europe, I would like a source on that. Proving that Africa had more useable resources. So that counts out Uranium and the like. Things people could work with during the year 1000 lets say.
>>
>>73665
that's one of the most awful books on the planet.
>>
>>73650
Dog breeds can interbreed, it doesn't mean that Pugs and Ovcharkas are identical animals.
>>
>>73662
>We are all still very very similar in terms of genetics
Sure, we're also very similar with chimpanzees.

>You can argue about genes, but don't misuse the term "evolution"
What? How do you think the different races evolved their different racial characteristics? You're not a creationist, are you?
>>
>>73657
>they were pretty successful in africa, i'd say. what, there was like one or two countries on the whole continent that wasn't colonized by them?
Which is why Africa's populated by white people today except in one or two countries, right?

Those colonies were europeans establishing a framework for administration and resource extraction, which is totally different from what happened in North America. The closest thing you have to an exception is South Africa, which maintains a population of whites to this day.

This is actually somewhere racial differences matter. Africans have certain adaptations which make them marginally less vulnerable to the environment. Sickle-cell Anemia is a side effect caused by double-recessive expression of genetic traits which normally allow them to better withstand African diseases, for instance.
>>
>>73675
i asked for proof. that is not proof. any study done on the ease of living for primitive natives in siberia or russia vs sub saharan africa?
>>
>>73700
So why was greece the first country to practice science in Europe and not spain or who knows what country? Yes, because a lot more factors than race and evolution matter.
>>
>>73740
moralism stemming from the enlightenment is why they're still not there
>>
>>73743
Siberia is not known for it's fertile soils and decent growing seasons anon
>>
>>73673
It was more land expansion then colonialism.
>>
>>73776
Greece was not a country when people there started it. Greek city states had colonies on the Iberian peninsula though.
>>
>>73784
how about one on the primitive natives of northern europe then?
>>
>>73800
The fuck are you trying to say?
>>
>>73800
It was a country but not a state
>>
>>73816
>I am trying to say that the sentence:
So why was greece the first country to practice science in Europe and not spain or who knows what country?

Is wrong because Greece was not a country back then. There were multiple city-states that spoke the same language, they were not a unified country with a single government. Greeks studied phillosophy yes, but they studied phillosophy everywhere they lived. In the south of modern france, in sicily, in modern spain.
>>
>>73843
It was neither of those things, it was a culture spread out among a couple of city states across the mediteranean. Countries are a thing after the 17th century with the dawn of Nationalism.
>>
>>73340
>>73340
Malaria has killed the VAST majority of humans. Why don't you go to the Congo without vaccines, and see how well you last?
>>
>>73902
Well yes this is true my mistake, but what does it matter in a discussion about racial features. I'm still makinga point.
>>
>>73961
Indeed, Malaria actually came from Africa to South America with the Europeans.
>>
>>73806
>how about one on the primitive natives of northern europe then?
You don't get to reject historical fact because you demand "a study" of "difficulty," whatever that's even supposed to mean.
>>
>>73806
>how about one on the primitive natives of northern europe then?
The scots do okay.
>>
>>73987
And I am helping you refine your argument and make it better. If there are things wrong with small parts of your argument people will not take it as seriously.
>>
>>73806
>>74043
The Orkney Island have been inhabbited for more then a 1000 years. The winds blow so hard there that hardly a tree will grow there. Yet they were able to live there, grow food and keep herds.
>>
>>73779
>moralism stemming from the enlightenment is why they're still not there
Yes, moralism made all their cows die, which made them give up settlement and instead administer from afar by crushing locals with troops...

On that note, it's funny how europeans became too enlightened to maintain their colonial administrations at the exact same time they ran out of money to do so. Quite the coincidence, wouldn't you say?
>>
>>74067
Haha, well thansk for that. You are a cool guy. Is that something I can say here?
>>
>>73115
One of the studies' findings was that the IQs of transracially adopted black children did not differ significantly from that of children raised by their biological parents in the same area. Due to confounding of social and biological factors, it was inconclusive in terms of determining relative environmental or biological contributions to racial differences in IQ - as the study's result could be interpreted as supporting either hypothesis.

Hardly conclusive.
>>
>>73670
>Because niggers are imbeciles.
Africa's going to get real big in your lifetime. The population of that continent will rival Asia. After that comes economic, political, and military power, as it always does.
>>
>>74138
Sure, critique can be combined with niceties.
>>
>>74025
what historical facts? you didn't prove in anyway that primitive africans had it more difficult than primitive eurpeans. link to a fucking expert that knows what they're talking about. you're cherry picking different events to excuse for european success.

you haven't gone into what life was like for either group, their eases and hardships. you probably don't even know much about it, so how can you measure one's difficulties in survival against the others?

meeting retarded people, just another day on 4chan.
>>
>>74193
>inb4 the fourth Out of Africa movement

But seriously though, could you imagine if the Sahara didn't dry up? Ancient Saharan culture appeared to be pretty advanced for the time.
>>
>>74091
due to higher intelligence i bet
>>
>>67718
European race is the superior race of the modern world. Wherever they went they conquered and brought order and civilisation.

The reason for this is due to their genetics formed by hundreds of years of fighting for survival in the cold harsh northern climates. They had to plan ahead to survive the coming winters and only the strong survived.

This is in stark contrast to africans who didn't even have a winter and never had to plan for anything.
>>
>>74361
No Orkneyans are fuckings stupid. Scot here, I should know
>>
>>74381
Order and civilization, or rape and murder with added benefits?

Before you get all upset, all human races do that. We're apes, we rape and kill, it's what we do.
>>
>>74433
So then what is your point.
>>
>>67799

China displayed elements of being a state centuries before European states arose.
>>
>>74283
>what historical facts? you didn't prove in anyway that primitive africans had it more difficult than primitive eurpeans.
But you wouldn't look at the Suomi for that. You'd need to see actual primitive agrarian Europeans and do a study on them to meet your standard.

The Suomi didn't conquer a lot of places, y'know?

The historical evidence is the fact that Europeans tried bringing their usual colonization package to equatorial Africa on multiple occasions, and their colonies died every time. The only place where they didn't fail was the comparably less-awful South Africa.

Either all of the european settlers who tried to colonize Madagascar and stuff were pussies, or there's something up with the environment.
>>
There is a theory that the reason behind Brits setting sail so often to distant continents, and them inventing so many sports and other past time activities, is that they just wanted to get away from their nagging wives as much as they could.
>>
>>70968
>implying not every race/continent/civilisation has had greed as a main motivator
The Arabs and Asians were just as greedy, but not as efficient to satisfy that greed.
>>
>>73058
Seems that they're about to now.
>>
>>73740
Just the same way Europeans were more resistant to small pox than Native Americans.
All populations develop resistances to diseases and all continents have diseases to deal with.

You're right though. There's a reason the usage of spices is much more wide spread throughout countries near the equator due to the hot climate attracting bacteria. But then again, Europeans managed to handle such problems as well.

That's why the Europeans managed to colonise the world. The ability to adapt to and manipulate different environments and use the resources of those lands to their advantage.
>>
>>71131
>mesopotamian
>the same thing as arabian
>>
>>73557
humans evolved the ability to safely digest animal milk into adulthood very quickly
>>
>>74473
China was an empire for a long time, not a nation state
>>
The most important region was the Ottomans. The Ottomans cut off Europe from the rest of the world, so the Europeans began looking for new trade routes. This is how Columbus ended up landing in Cuba in 1492, on his search for India.
>>
>>67718
Europeans
>>
>>67718
Being white
>>
>>73549
Well the smart Jews, the ones with a 115 IQ, are white Europeans who seperated themselves from the rest due to religion and persecution. I'm sure they had to be especially smart to survive all if the years they were hunted in Europe, or it was mostly the smartest amoung them that lived to reproduce
Thread replies: 223
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.