[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was the sin committed by Eve sexual in nature?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3
File: Eve-temptation.jpg (165 KB, 447x700) Image search: [Google]
Eve-temptation.jpg
165 KB, 447x700
Was the sin committed by Eve sexual in nature?
>>
No.
>>
>>667393
Don't take the book of Genesis as anything more than a collection of allegories.
>>
>>667393
The original sin comes from the inevitable limits of our existance. We can only live through killing other organisms, our life is technically one big killing frenzy. Just think, how many lives did it take just so you are able to shitpost of 4chan? Billions? Trillions?
We are not spotless beings, that's what the original sin means.
>>
Does sin even exist in that book without you reading into it?

I don't think the original language uses the word?
>>
>>667393
The sin itself was just disobeying the command to not eat the fruit, but the whole Eden narrative functions as an etiology for sex, labor, and death.
>>
You do realise that once you say on part of the Bible is a metaphor, you're opening up the whole thing to picking and choosing the morals that suit you best.
>>
"The original sin was shitposting on 4chan" - the Rigveda
>>
>>667393
>Was the sin committed by Eve sexual in nature?
Go read Robert Graves' White Goddess, Greek Myths and King Jesus.

Adam is a sacrifice to midsummer and the snake of decline.
>>
So what's the deal with the Lilith story? Who believes in her being Adam's first wife, created his equal but didn't put out so got replaced by rib clone slave?
>>
>>667393
No, the sin was the bitch not knowing her place
>>
>>667439
You realize the same thing applies to labeling anything in the universe a metaphor, right?
>>
>>667562
oh god no, whywould you recommend that?
>>
>>667439
That's basically the only way to reconcile the Bible with the modern 1st world anyway.
>>
>>667579
Jewish apocrypha
>>
>>667416
What are you some Jain faggot who wears a veil so they don't kill gnats by breathing?
>>
>>667602
Because if we're going to masturbate to fantasies than Graves' fantasies suit me better than this over redacted couple of versus.
>>
>>667579
>>667608
There's also the legend that the serpent got Eve pregnant with Cain, where the serpent is really Ialdabaoth/Samael.
>>
>>667642
s/than/then
I apologise
>>
The point the myth is trying to make is that the woman, by nature, is a traitor, and that a man should be wary of following a woman's desires. Essentially woman further man from God, but women are essential to continue the species. That's the original sin.
>>
>>667393
the original sin is the for getting and forsaking by man of what really is, with its complement, the assuming himslef to be that which he is not. The great and fundamental mistake is the coming to believe himself to be the body image, for beyond that assumption depends his view of the world and his relationship to it; and though for practical purposes, he has to learn of the laws and the nature of the physical world, because he has been incarnated, it is a limiting view because it confines him to a reality which will never give him lasting fulfillment nor contentment
>>
>>667393
No but this pic is.

I can already imagine some snek hentai
>>
>>667645

SNAKED
>>
Unrelated, but I didn't want to start a new thread. Are Adam and Eve in hell?
>>
>dude it's just an allegory lmao
>>
>>667665
>the primeval origin in reality has everything to do with the fact I got rejected that one time reeee

Semitics are pussies who can't handle their women. The classical fall was specifically a male transgression - the utilization of fire for human purposes.
>>
>>668691
I doubt it, since in every Abrahamic religion he's regarded as a prophet. However, they deserve it the most for robbing humanity of universal happiness.
>>
File: laughing-padre-pio1.jpg (23 KB, 324x400) Image search: [Google]
laughing-padre-pio1.jpg
23 KB, 324x400
>>667439
>>667439
>implying "the bible" isn't a multitude of works in a multitude of genres
>>
>>667439
No, because the Bible is a compilation of very different works.
>>
>>669123
Yes, fiction is a very diverse genre.
>>
>>668749
That's because for the greeks women were so unimportant they were even able to make humanity fall.
>>
>>668691
I'll say that Eve is while Adam is in heaven.
>>
>>668691
Well there's no hell in the Hebrew scriptures, but assuming the Greek scriptures Hell is real; God continued to help them out after the fall, so I'd assume no?
>>
>>669123
Some books are poems some are not.

There has never been a concise understanding of which books are supposed to be historical and which are allegorical. Actually no fuck, they don't even define certain books as historical and some as allegorical. Anything that is is inconvient is an allegory.

The whole story of Jesus is totally history right? His death on the cross isn't a metaphor is it? Except the sentence that happens right after it says he died on the cross and talks about zombies coming out is totally a metaphor!

It's called selective reading.
>>
File: 1448134114031.jpg (207 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1448134114031.jpg
207 KB, 1000x1000
Why would God expect Adam and Eve not to eat from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil if they had no knowledge of good or evil in the first place?
>>
>>669357
Because having an understanding of obediance doesn't require having an understand of good and evil.

The bigger question is why he didn't just make them more obediant.
>>
Holy hell that artwork is atrocious
>>
>>669380
>>669357

Consider the story was written by Jewish priests who were the ultimate authority on what 'God wants'.

It's a story about how humanity ended up in misery because they did not blindly obey what their religious authority told them.

Myths are not made arbitrary, they are designed to communicate ideas using a story as an example.
>>
>>667405
but of course Heaven is literal right?
>>
>>667418
God uses the word when warning Cain against being angry at God's rejection of his sacrifice.
>>
>women are the reason why mankind is unhappy

kek
>>
>>669489
>It's a story about how humanity ended up in misery because they did not blindly obey what their religious authority told them.

>blindly obey
Not exactly blind when God in all his glory is standing there telling you what to do. Even if they were ignorant of good and evil, they still knew God.

One interpretation of the story is that knowing good and evil is a way of evading knowledge of God.
>>
>>669357

The concept is metaphorical. God would have known Adam and Eve would eat the apple.

But God wasn't telling Adam and Eve "Do not eat the apple or I will punish you."

God was saying "Do not at the apple or you will bring pain upon yourselves." They ate the apple, and the knowledge they had gained forced them to realize how shitty they were.

I personally think the concept of knowledge is more important than the act of eating the apple. This story is about humanity going from instinct to reason. That intelligence evolved from humanity's socialization, and how mating drove the evolution of the brain harder than any other pressure.
>>
I always thought we were supposed to eat the apple. It's our first act of independent will.
>>
>>669639
YES, it's still today, we have history and expect ourselves to learn from it and not repeat it, yet we do it ignoring all our knowledge.
humans really need to discipline themselves.
>>
>>669624
>Not exactly blind when God in all his glory is standing there telling you what to do.
This is a complete non-sequitur. Why would directly receiving a command from God make the purpose of a command any easier to rationalize? It might make obeying it more compelling, but that's irrelevant. The bottom line is if someone lacks the capacity to judge the merit of following a command, then the act of following said command is absolutely blind.
>>
>>669639

I'm quite uncomfortable with this....
>>
>>669639
>the apple
nigga it was a fig, the whole thing is just a setup for the justification of why things on earth aren't perfect and why women aren't people
you dont need to read so much into it
>>
>>667393
i want to fuck eve
>>
>>667405
Where the fuck did he imply that he does?
>>
Why talk about this as if its fact when none of this happened?
>>
>>667439
Shut up fundie.
>>
Treachery

All women will throw their husbands, children and country under the bus for a snake promising wealth and status.
>>
>>671365
That's how we discuss events in fictional narratives, otherwise we would have to constantly be qualifying our statements.
>>
>>667416
I don't mind interesting food for thought like this. But when It tries to sell itself as the legitimate interpretation of ancient mystic scriptures, I pull at my hair that we still live in a world where people aren't afraid of saying the shit out loud without getting mocked out of the room.
>>
>>671391
To be honest i would do it too except i'm not a woman
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.