[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
History in schools
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 461109_orig.gif (13 KB, 302x317) Image search: [Google]
461109_orig.gif
13 KB, 302x317
So what does /his/ think of history as a school subject?

I just talked with my friend from my old high school, and there was no subject he hated more than history. He said that learning about the world's past rather than future and present is an idiotic way to educate. Even though I pointed out his ignorance, I didn't really have much of a comeback in terms of proof, it's really difficult to explain when you yourself is a very 'historic' person. So what do you think, /his/? What should I have said, and what is your response to his viewpoint?
>>
You can't look at the future to learn about the present. You can't learn about the future, at all. History, of course, repeats, and it affects every person every day of their lives. It is important to know what shapes people, their societies, thoughts, culture and paradigm.
>>
>>64546
Stupid fag would know that history can give you a decent guess of how the world will turn, since history tends to repeat itself very heavily.

Also, how do you fucking teach the future? And if you want to know about the present, read a motherfucking book and keep up with the news.
>>
>>64582
>>64611
this desu
>>
>>64611
>how do you fucking teach the future

science fiction and liberal ideology
>>
File: George-Washington-Crying.jpg (17 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
George-Washington-Crying.jpg
17 KB, 183x275
>>64546
these are the people that say shit like
>LOL the constitution might say you have the right to bear arms, but they meant muskets lololol xd
>>
>>66095
'no'
>>
>>64546
The only thing that can get people to understand and appreciate the importance of history is having a good teacher who can explain it all to you.

Many schools teach very simplistic versions of history - remember these dates, these battles, this treaty, that guy's name. They also use simplified nationalist narratives which are easy to dismiss as junk by edgy teens.

If you want to show him why history is important, you need to use give him a historical explanation for a current problem - ie describe why the Middle East is such a cluterfuck, or the reasons borders look the way they do in Europe and all of the conflict caused by it. When you see how the past resulted in the present, you can better chart a course for how things will look in the future.
>>
>>66095

Well, you'd only be teaching theories, but there's an entire discipline of "futurism" that attempts to make predictions about what kind of technology we might have in 2030 or 2050 or 2100. We could teach about transhumanism, the possibilities for clean energy, artificial intelligence, new ways to design houses and cities like the Venus Project, etc.

As a right-winger, I can imagine this Future class being really politically biased towards liberal points of view, I guess we'd just need to make sure we hire a decent amount of right-wingers alongside the liberals that would be most drawn to the class.
>>
>>64546
History tells us who we are, it shows us how we got to the present.
>>
>>66095
>teaching theories instead of facts
that's not what school is about
>>
>>67222
>that's not what school is about
it could be a philosophy class
but yeah, not a history class
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.