[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kind of a /lit/ question, but what do you you think about this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: ernst junger.jpg (27 KB, 272x406) Image search: [Google]
ernst junger.jpg
27 KB, 272x406
Kind of a /lit/ question, but what do you you think about this guy and his ideas?
>>
Never finished his storm of steel. Considered trying again but ended picking up master and commander series for a reread.
>>
He got his skull crushed in Cambrai and wrote a raving book about how GOAT the whole thing was. He's A-OK in my book.
>>
>>587717
Pretty interesting. A refreshing change from all those commie pacifists who dominate 20th century literature
>>
File: 1422596773727.png (603 KB, 720x470) Image search: [Google]
1422596773727.png
603 KB, 720x470
Idiosyncratic Francophile.

Torn between duty and freedom.
>>
I don't understand why he criticized the Blut und Boden policy.
>>
>>588061
He was Pan-Europeanist, not a nationalist, read Der Friede (1945)

http://www.telospress.com/christianity-regained-ernst-jungers-idea-of-europe-and-of-the-new-european-man-in-the-peace/
>>
He managed to synthesize anti-democratic, anti-liberal conservatism with radical individualism and existentialism. A very interesting fellow.
>>
File: 1417984677680.jpg (49 KB, 350x410) Image search: [Google]
1417984677680.jpg
49 KB, 350x410
>>588085
I find it hilarious when leftie fanboys from /lit/ try to imply his sympathies lay closer to them.

Take this quote from Die Weltstaat (1960) for instance:
“The anarchist in his purest form is he, whose memory goes back the farthest: to pre-historical, even pre-mythical times; and who believes, that man at that time fulfilled his true purpose . . . In this sense the anarchist is the Ur-conservative, who traces the health and the disease of society back to the root.”

There's also his affinity for French royalists like de Rivarol (whom he wrote a biography for) and his explicit sympathy for the peasants of the Vendean revolt.
>>
>>588126
Junger was really the true heir of Nietzsche. His philosophy of being an "anarch" who despised anarchists, was a perfect way of putting it.
>>
>>588159
I don't think Junger can at all be associated with Nietzsche, to be honest. In Aladdin's Problem he calls Nietzsche "Old Gunpowder-head" throughout, with a sort of contempt for Nietzsche. Junger's concept of the Anarch derives from the pre-Nietzschean philosopher Max Stirner, and Junger's views are primarily reactionary and individualistic, without the perspectivism or will to power that characterize Nietzsche.
>>
>>588212
I don't think it ever occurred to Stirner that authority is good, he argued a lot for unions running everything. No doubt Junger was influenced by Stirner, but Junger's anarch is very different from Stirner's voluntary egoist.
>>
>>588212
This is true, his influences lay closer to Schopenhauer and Stirner[spoiler], and Novalis if you've read his Sicilian Letter to the Man in the Moon[/spoiler]
>>
>>588216
Ernst Junger developed his ideas beyond Max Stirner, and his life experience informs his interpretation. The influence of Max Stirner is undoubtable. There's no argument I can see, however, for a major influence upon Ernst Junger's thinking by Nietzsche for you to claim something as far out as he's the true heir of Nietzsche.
>>
>>588082
Extremely cool essay.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.