[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good shows about history
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: 1446399409005.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1446399409005.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
Here's a trailer of the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbpTo5azMJA

Diriliş Ertuğrul is a Turkish historical adventure television series that takes place in the 13th century and centers around the life of Ertuğrul, the father of Osman I, founder of the Ottoman Empire and focuses on the kayı tribe.

With the Mongol invasions, oppression and slaughters, Turkic tribes flee from Central Asia. The Kayi tribe is one of Oghuz Turkic people with four hundred large nomad tents settling in Anatolia. But they get through a difficult time due to famine. All these nomads want to migrate to a better place where they can start a new life. Suleyman Shah is the leader of the Kayi tribe and his two sons Gündoğdu and Ertuğrul are reliable to him.

Ertuğrul, a young brave man and the younger son of Suleyman Shah. He often goes hunting with his three close men. One of these days they come across prisoners taken by the knights of the Knights Templar. Ertuğrul and his three men save the lives of a young girl named Halime and her family from the knights and kill them all. They bring them to their tribe without knowing their true identity. Halime and her family belong to a noble family of the Seljuk Empire and were to be executed if Ertuğrul did not save them. Due to the fear of being caught, they do not reveal their true identity. However, their arrival brings new difficulties to the Kayi tribe: the Seljuk Empire is threaten to have war if they do not let their guests go and the Knights Templar is seeking for revenge. For this reason some nomads start to blame Suleyman Shah for not being able to be a good leader. This suits up well for Kurdoğlu, swore brother of Suleyman Shah, who has a hidden agenda. Suleyman Shah takes action and sends Ertuğrul on a vital mission for finding new land. For this reason, Ertuğrul and his three men go to Aleppo in order to make an agreement with the Sultan. They set off a chain of events that ultimately will lead to the founding of the Ottoman Empire.
>>
File: ancient-aliens guy.png (237 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
ancient-aliens guy.png
237 KB, 600x300
>>58733
best show about history
>>
>>60207
was anything in this show factual?
>>
>>58733
Are the Mongols also just Caucasian Turkish actors?
>>
>>60423
they're played by turks but the christians are played by non turks
>>
>>58733
What subgroup is best for Diriliş Ertuğrul?
>>
>>60581
What do you mean by sub group? Do you want to watch the show with subtitles? If so you can watch it here

http://www.amara.org/en/videos/w27JiSaVkCYh/info/dirilis-ertugrul-1-bolum/
>>
>>60423
They're played by Turkic looking Turkish people
>>
>>58733
>Good shows about history

Tudor Monastery Farm, Edwardian Farm, Wartime Farm, Victorian Pharmacy and all the others in this set.
Experimental archaeology, mostly about english history. It stays away from politics and gets into the everyday lives of people. Very fun to watch.

Vikings was okay-ish. It got the feeling right, even if it strays away from the sagas and gets silly to win the 21 century audiences.
>>
>>60797
>Vikings was okay-ish
didn't it just get worse and worse as they broke history more and more? The moment they made a woman an earl I stopped watching
>>
rome
i claudius
sharpe
anzacs
fall of eagles
reilly ace of spies
young indiana jones chronicles
tudors
vikings
hornblower
band of brothers
pacific
>>
I just watched a documentary series called 'First Peoples' iirc. There were episodes about Africa, Europe, Asia, Australia, and the Americas. Very well produced, and the Asian episode was especially interesting since that's often overlooked.
>>
>>61047
those are all shows about history but which ones are good?
>>
>>61602
Rome
Fall of Eagles
Vikings
Band of Brothers

IMO
>>
>>60885
>When they broke with history
Like when they had the Vikings not knowing about England or not believing it was possible to sail east?
>>
File: 1358023473721.png (328 KB, 798x843) Image search: [Google]
1358023473721.png
328 KB, 798x843
>mfw /tv/ wins the /his/owl
>>
>>61602
all of them
>>
>>61047
>young indiana jones chronicles
completely forgot those exists
right see you in 18 hours gonna watch them all desu senpai
>>
>>61636
>>Band of Brothers
Been meaning to watch this, where should I watch it from?
>>
>>61711
from the beginning
from your couch
>>
>>61724
I mean like do they have it on netflix etc
>>
what's the timeline of the show?
>>
File: pablo.png (798 KB, 1183x887) Image search: [Google]
pablo.png
798 KB, 1183x887
>>58733
Black Sails is pretty good. While it's written as a prequel to Treasure Island and has several fictional main characters, it also contains many real historical figures and is a very accurate portrayal of 18th century pirates.

Also Narcos. Narcos is just fucking great. They include archival footage of actual events to remind people that "Yes, Pablo Escobar actually did bomb a passenger jet and he did orchestrate an assault on the Supreme Court of Colombia."
>>
>>62088
>Black Sails is pretty good. While it's written as a prequel to Treasure Island and has several fictional main characters, it also contains many real historical figures and is a very accurate portrayal of 18th century pirates.

Are you fucking serious?
>>
>>61724
it's not on netflix
>>
>>62164
what's wrong with it?
>>
>>61047
>>young indiana jones chronicles
is that a cartoon?
>>
>>64279
Nope, live action.

It is a kids-young adult show obviously, but it's good fun. Indy meets all kinds of historical personages and witnesses interesting events. It has two... seasons? Two parts basically, one is Indy as a small kid, another is Indy as a young man - he fights in WW1 for example.

Definitely recommend, I think it is quite faithful to the whole Indiana Jones adventure atmosphere, as well as fun way of looking at history.
>>
>>64414
alright that sounds interesting i might check it out
>>
The Last Kingdom
>>
>>64426
Ha ha it is on youtube of all places!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYeqBYNKlQo

Poor quality though.

Just bear in mind it is a kids' show and the first third or so has a kid actor.

Check the IMDB page - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103586/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast - to see all the various people Indy meets. From Mata Hari to Freud to Churchill to Kafka...
>>
>>64477
thank you! It's alright, childrens shows can be good and educational!
>>
>>63351
>a very accurate portrayal of 18th century pirates.

Thats just not true
>>
>watch trailer
>see him 1337 heads0t 360 n0sc0pe xXxmetal_gearxXx dual wield kill those templar knights as if it were the matrxi

into the fucking trash it goes
>>
>>65455
they always do that in tv shows
>>
>>60602

Is this the only way I can watch this with subs ?

Also from the trailer it seems it's not the borefest that Magnificent Century was. Is that right ?
>>
>>66498
There are more places to watch it actually, you can google "Dirilis Ertugrul english subs" or "Dirilis Ertugrul Ingilizce Altyazi" and it comes up. its on youtube too but 460p quality. This one has more action and its based around the nomadic life, magnificent century was based within the palace so you can figure out which is more a bore fest
>>
File: 0_177510.jpg (184 KB, 1543x1024) Image search: [Google]
0_177510.jpg
184 KB, 1543x1024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNHnX4xsplo&list=PL33A390995E9A7F00&index=1

Some of the action scenes are a bit rough, but it's a fine show.
>>
>>66610
thanks
>>
>>66536

Ok so I was watching the first episode and had to drop it.

It's waay too muslim-y too me. God this,God that and not to mention that christians are cartoonishly evil.

I find it weird that Turkey is making TV Shows that paint their european allies as evil while they are victims fighting for freedom.
>>
Marco Polo on Netflix is pretty great.
>>
>>67054
Turks often make themselves look evil in their tv shows actually, there's a pride in Turkey for the amount of anger and frustration they caused others. I'm not kidding.

Also check out these really short trailer clips to understand what I mean about Turks painting themselves in a bad light

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He5I1ZNPTYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCPehcmgusE

(in the end of this one she says "I will escape from here, you'll see!" and the guy replies "there is no escape.")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUjIiFr7eDI

In this show the Greek girl is played by an actual Greek btw. In Dirilis the Christians are played by westerners also btw.
>>
File: brad-meltzers-decoded-10.jpg (154 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
brad-meltzers-decoded-10.jpg
154 KB, 720x540
>>60207
>Ancient Aliens

Casual. Watch some real conspiracy theory garbage.
>>
>>67068
It's fun, but it's a little hard to call it historically accurate in any way.
>>
>>67122
What period is this show about?
>>
>>67870
its about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6sem_Sultan so its the 17th century
>>
The Americans is a neat show. It's about Soviet spies in the 80's.
>>
>>68124
is it new?
>>
>>67699
i watched that show once. they tried to push the idea that patton was murdered because he wanted to kill soviets. the only person who though so was some /x/ fag who said Stalin ordered it or some shit.
>>
>>61711
See if your Dad has them all taped in VHS, and watch them with him.
Because, honestly, whose Dad doesn't have a bunch of old WW2 shows/movies?
>>
>>68999

That's the entire show.

That's it.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.