[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did the English style of suit become the worldwide accepted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8
File: suit-types-british.jpg (74 KB, 584x389) Image search: [Google]
suit-types-british.jpg
74 KB, 584x389
Why did the English style of suit become the worldwide accepted fashion for men?
>>
>>582003
because the bourgeois took over and the first and the pinnacle of bourgeoisie is the english one, with any other bourgeoisie copying them.
>>
>>582051
t. gommie
>>
>>582003
because london was the financial capital of the world for a very long time
>>
>>582003
It looks more athletic, fit and slim than say American or Italian suits.

People tend to like it and since most people aren't that overweight they can wear it.
>>
>France dominates fashion for hundreds of years
>The British empire means Brits end up winning at fashion anyway

The frogs are probably mad as fuck about this
>>
>>582065

And still is of course.
>>
>>582077
American suits are pretty bad though. The bulk is ridiculous.
>>
>>582083
Remember how pretty much everyone that meant something wore a wig for two centuries because a bald French king started wearing them?
>>
>>582101
That's my point. The French dominated things for years, including language, but now they're irrelevant.
>>
>>582105
Well you said ends up winning anyways like British fashion will last forever or until the end of time.
>>
>>582116
It probably will now, thanks to how everything is global.
>>
>>582083
I spent a few months last year in various parts of england, and I saw what english women and girls wear, and I realized then with some surprise that the french ones might actually deserve their reputation of elegance.
>>
>>582085
yeah nigel. it still is
>>
>>582359
>reputation of elegance

You mean indulgence.

Spending your money on whatever some gay guy in New York tells you to is not to be admired
>>
>>582508
I don't think this happens often in france.
>>
>>582003
because cultural imperialism
>>
>>582105
France lost hegemony with the Napoleonic wars. People still admired french culture but the English culture bevame effectively exported the world over in the 19th century. I guess the exception would be the francophone colonies and Italy to an extent
>>
>>582938
Cultural imperialism is a meme word
>>
File: 1452406640790.jpg (371 KB, 1152x1728) Image search: [Google]
1452406640790.jpg
371 KB, 1152x1728
>>582359
>>582083
paris is for women
london is for men

I wish it would be the opposite, but english suits are quite nice, though the motto that men must show less colorfoul cloths than women levels down the field and it becomes easier to be above average.

the sad thing is that most men do not know how to dress and adhere to the easy solution : black suit+black tie+ black suit and thus admit that they have no idea what they are doing.

I heard that Hollande was called the most elegant presidents by some british journal. this shows how much the population has no idea on how to dress.
>>
>>582003
I Korean suits better
>>
>>584323
Who is that
>>
>>582003
"Bothering" is so middle brow.

http://www.joeydevilla.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/highbrowlowbrowchart.jpg
>>
>>582808
Have you been?
>>
>>585608

French here.

can confirm we generally don't do that.
>>
>>582101

Can't find the monarch in question. who was it?
>>
Do other countries have such absurd restrictions on dress as we don bongland? I used to work for fairly big accountanacy firm and we had a talk from an "image expert" once, some of the "rules" such as YOU CAN NEVER EVER HAVE A PATTERN OF ANY KIND ON YOUR TIE AS WELL AS ON YOUR SUIT seemed ridiculous and weren't really followed anyway
>>
>>586094
I've just remembered my office had some old "style guides" as well, well over 100 pages on how women with fat arses should wear appropriate skirts, what different colour ties and shirts meant etc
>>
>>586094
Because patterned ties look like shit
>>
>>586250
>caring what your coworkers think about you
Only the aristocracy and the proletariat are free from this shit.
>>
>>586094
>YOU CAN NEVER EVER HAVE A PATTERN OF ANY KIND ON YOUR TIE
really? Surely they'd allow it if it were a Guards tie or something
>>
>>586094
Recently moved to America and people here don't give a flying fuck, they legitimately go to work in sweatpants.
>>
I really wish traditional fashions were still in. Not just like togas and tunica, but other things as well. It seems like the Arab countries are the only ones that still wear their traditional clothing for professional things.
>>
In any case a tweed sports jacket+red trousers is the pinnacle of fashion, not a suit.
>>
>>586619
In a bid to increase productivity, American office culture, in areas where the employee doesn't have to deal directly with any customers, has become substantially more comfy.
I don't see this as a bad thing.
>>
>>582003
It didn't. You see the American and Italian style just as often.
>>
>>586613
You could have one on one or the other, even but both is a no no, even if its the finest most minuscule pattern on both. And apparently a red tie showed you're aggressive and a pink shirt showed weakness
>>
>>582122
But what happens when the gommies take over and we all have to dress like this?
>>
>>586715
I think that
>Must be tailored
Caveat is exactly why English cuts are considered so fashionable, the only people with half-decent ones are people that spend money on tailored clothes.
>>
Anglo is the dominant world culture + you can't deny it looks smart and official
>>
>>586740
You best believe I look fly as fuck in grey. You bitch ass nigga might not, but I do so all the commie bitches will be up on my dick. They won't call me the Chairman, though, because that shit is disrespectful.
>>
>>586715
>american cut
>good for wide middles
kek
>>
Also, the less shoulder padding the better unless you're dyel. If you have big traps heavily padded shoulders look stupid
>>
>>586750
You don't seem to understand what fashionable means. skinny =/= fashionable

Plenty of Italian designers make Italian style suits only (pic realted, Corneliani).
>>
File: Obama-Suit.jpg (3 MB, 3346x2436) Image search: [Google]
Obama-Suit.jpg
3 MB, 3346x2436
>>586802
And every American politician/businessman ever wears American style suits.
>>
>>584359
Official brow rankings

>Highbrow
>Lowbrow
>
>
>
>Upper-Middle brow
>
>Power gap
>
>
>Lower middle brow
>>
>>586880
I transcend the brow-brow dichotomy.
>>
File: eternal anglo.jpg (25 KB, 490x313) Image search: [Google]
eternal anglo.jpg
25 KB, 490x313
>>582051
the eternal bourgeoisie
>>
>>585957
the Sun King
>>
>>584336
Jerry Maren, a Munchkin actor
>>
Is displays wealth and proffesionalism. It's cost also range from 200 dollars to 10,000, or 30 bucks if you get extremely lucky at a thrift store.
>>
File: s4.reutersmedia.net.jpg (22 KB, 450x274) Image search: [Google]
s4.reutersmedia.net.jpg
22 KB, 450x274
>>586619
maybe if you work in a shithole. I work as a janitor and everybody is really tryhard. You walk into the building wearing a suit and you then take the top off and evolve into something called business casual.

Same thing for another engineering firm down the street.
>>
>>588660
work as a janitor here*
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.