[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, /his/ educate me on René Descartes.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: Educate Me.jpg (151 KB, 817x1000) Image search: [Google]
Educate Me.jpg
151 KB, 817x1000
Alright, /his/ educate me on René Descartes.
>>
>>580679
www.google.com
>>
File: 5465631.png (160 KB, 956x860) Image search: [Google]
5465631.png
160 KB, 956x860
>>580679
H U M E
U
M
E
>>
>>580684
What the fuck, it's ok to ask on /sci/ but not here? You're not even useful.
>>
>>580695
do your homework kid.
>>
>>580699
Hope they cut your funding, someone needs to go back to making burgers :^)
>>
>>580695

Actually it's not okay to post homework shit on /sci/
>>
>>580681
>>580684
>>580699
Chill yo, he wants to learn about Descartes and discussion is the best form of study. What difference would be made if he said "What do you think of Descartes?"
>>
I meme, therefore I am
>>
>>580704
someone is salty.
>>
File: 1447384604329.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1447384604329.gif
2 MB, 500x500
In short, Rene Descartes was a frenchman with many contributions towards Philosophy, mathematics, and science.

In terms of his philosophical merits, Descartes is known for refusing to work off of, or extend from any other thinker's work, and instead develop a system of thinking that came naturally and was at every step self-evident.

Some people think he had failed, given that there is literally nothing you can assert that will not cause some philosopher to cry 'foul.' But much of his work is evident in popular thought today, especially the "i think, therefore i am" saying that is very present in culture. Very methodical, logical approach to multiple subjects

I've only so far read his discourses on method, meditation, and other philosophies, but his exercise in doubting everything and slowly working forward on what can be proven beyond any doubt is very enlightening and interesting. One interesting facet of this effort is that he asserts that a sentient and merciful god is among that which can be proven beyond all doubt, and even if many here would disagree, the way he approaches the subject is interesting, even if you disagree with his conclusions.

also jesus christ i wish this board were slower.
you guys shouldn't reply to a thread if you have nothing to say. If you hate the thread so much then let it fall off the board with no replies you fuckwits
>>
He tried to solve the mind-body problem by claiming an unidentified part of the brain acted as a sort of antenna for the soul and thought that the ontological argument was enough to establish God's existence. He also got off on torturing small animals and justified it by denying that they actually felt any pain.

Other than that, his philosophy is pretty cool.
>>
File: descartes2.jpg (25 KB, 459x385) Image search: [Google]
descartes2.jpg
25 KB, 459x385
Fun fact: If you go to Paris today you can see his skull
>>
>>580679
Giver of D's

Shipwrecked once or twice.
>>
>>580679
He died from the notorious Swedish cold. It is believed to be related to the infamous Japanese cold due to Finland being related to the mongoloid race. And as Finland was part of Sweden as Österland at the time of Descartes' life the illness was known as Swedish cold.
>>
>>580748

>>577989
>>
He also came up with imaginary numbers right?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.