[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>men like this are long gone >there was nobody to replace
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: mawson-339x500.jpg (51 KB, 339x500) Image search: [Google]
mawson-339x500.jpg
51 KB, 339x500
>men like this are long gone
>there was nobody to replace them with

It's over. The human spirit is broken.
>>
So what exactly would they do today? I don't get it. The world had to run out of frontiers and adventures at some point. It was inevitable.
>>
>>580428
We haven't run out of frontiers. Everyday, we anons push and explore new lands of terrible shitposting, bizzare fetishes, and shitty memes.
>>
File: space pepe.jpg (78 KB, 777x738) Image search: [Google]
space pepe.jpg
78 KB, 777x738
>>580436
It's as they say. Born too late to explore the earth, born too early to explore the stars, born just in time to browse dank memes
>>
>>580438
There's still the deep ocean left, go explore that.
>>
>>580441
>What do you mean there's nothing left to explore? There's still half a world of desert, all of which is virtually the same and of no interest to all but a very select few autistic marine-biologists.
When will this meme end?
>>
>>580436
The next place to claim will be Mars. Then Olympus Mons I guess but it's so high that ironically it won't be a challenge. And unless there's something deeper than Mariana Trench that's it for Earth.
>>
>>580451
So people aren't actually bothered about exploration for exploration and discovery's sake; they only care about there not being exploration that *they* find personally interesting.

Pathetic.
>>
>>580438
Seriously though. People are going to look back at this as the wild west pioneer days of the internet.

The last generation that experienced the internet as a new thing, who experienced it before corporate involvement.
>>
>>580456
It's like telling someone to explore space. Not the celestial bodies, just the endless black void for the sole reason that we've never been there. Exploration for explorations sake!
>>
>>580456
Well first voyages was basically a race financed by great empires to see who could claim what. Terra Australis was supposed to be this new America back when people didn't even know whether it existed or not.

Of course even in the 20th century governments were using exploration as a tool. Antarctica was claimed by several countries in the past. Some of them claim it to this day. Between 1920s and 1950s everybody turned to Himalayas but it was mostly for propaganda. The British wanted to claim the third pole for the glory of the dying empire. And don't let me started on space exploration.

And there was the whole "science vs. discovery" debate. The scientific side of famous expeditions is often ignored and everybody focuses on the big prize. The highest point or the pole or whatever.
>>
File: 353.jpg (512 KB, 1000x864) Image search: [Google]
353.jpg
512 KB, 1000x864
>>580470
For manly adventure.
>>
>>580451
>>580470
>charting the ocean, finding new geological features, species, and cataloging the behavior of those we know little about is not worth doing because lol fish r boring
fag
>>
>>580438
>born too late to explore the stars
Don't fucking count on it pepe, I'm waiting for those stem fags to grant me immortality.
>>
>>580541
You seem very passionate about marine biology. Would you happen to be one yourself? If not, why do you keep posting?
>>
>>580552
>You seem very passionate about marine biology.
I'm not passionate about marine biology, I'm just just not an anti-intellectual mouthbreather.
>>
>>580644
>pathetic
>fag
>anti-intellectual mouthbreather
I'm done feeding you.
>>
>>580451
Not sure how "ice sheets and some rocks" is more interesting
>>
>>580651
Nice turnaround, masterful work.
>>
What point is everyone trying to prove with this deep-sea thing? Are you trying to delude yourself into thinking that the frontier is still alive?
>>
>>580662
I guess it's the idea that the act of perseverance through hardship, heroic failure or success against the odds, the noble struggle, is somehow a more worthy act per se than scientific exploration.
>>
There's plenty of uncharted caves out there, and a bunch of mountains that haven't been particularly well-explored.
>>
>>580668
pathetic faggot pussy bitch.

is that better? seems like we're talking the same language now.
>>
>>579806
You realize that he fucked some of his dogs whilst exploring right and even wound up having to eat a few of them?
>>
>>580949
Don't know about fucking but of course he ate them. That's how it went in these parts. Amundsen set out with this very intention. Scott liked dogs too much todo this but he shot and ate horses which btw had better lives there than in Siberian mines. Now the real thing is one historian claims he ate his partner. It's bullshit tho not the first time polar historian makes shit up for fame.
>>
>>580465
I think in the future we will see 4chan and other imageboards as kind of the counterculture of the early 21st century
>>
>>580436
*adventurous music plays behinds this posts*
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.