[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
General Black Death Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: dance-of-death-1.jpg (142 KB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
dance-of-death-1.jpg
142 KB, 500x278
>>
File: 1426193706916.jpg (54 KB, 601x408) Image search: [Google]
1426193706916.jpg
54 KB, 601x408
did someone say "Black Death"?
>>
>>57003
Plague hit European several different occasions, but I believe The Black Death of the 1300's was the most devastating and that's why it is called such.

Rats, dude.
>>
>>57003
>also were the jews mainly at fault for it
Jews likely didn't go to public baths (which fell out of use after the plague due to their nature as vectors of the disease) and stayed relatively healthy, so they were viewed as spreading the disease.

At least that's what I've heard.
>>
>>57102
And Jews were money lenders. Christians weren't supposed to do that, so Jews naturally filled the role. So you and all your friends end up owing guys you dislike anyway a bunch of money. Pogroms are complicated, but I found this an interesting factor.
>>
File: tumblr_nnc5vv4pXe1urjl23o1_1280.jpg (166 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nnc5vv4pXe1urjl23o1_1280.jpg
166 KB, 1280x1280
>>56982
>MFW King Casimir invited the Jews to Poland because he knew that they aren't going to poison their own wells
>MFW we dodged the bullet thanks to our wise monarch
>>
>tfw the black death made my country a slave to Denmark for 400 years
>>
File: plague doc.jpg (13 KB, 236x355) Image search: [Google]
plague doc.jpg
13 KB, 236x355
>*Knock Knock*
>Plague Doctor here
>>
>>60659
Lending money was allowed and encouraged by the church. Usury is sinful. Still western europe was full of christian bankers and the church never really had a problem with that. Take the Medicis for instance. They never owned any trade ships or foreign trade outposts, they were usurers and financiers.
>>
Black people dying is generally a good idea.
>>
>>61412

Now see, I want the Jews out of my country. I view them as a dangerous multi nationalist force, and I will not support it.

HAIL THE KING
>>
>>61412
Seriously though, how did Poland not get plagued?
>>
>>61521
There are no clear sources explaining that. There are two theories: first one, that Casimir fenced the country with cordon sanitaire and second one, that the disease didn't spread due to massive forests surrounding the kingdom. They are not mutually exclusive.
>>
>>61521
Less external trade, more spread out.
>>
>>61412
Historically, Jews were blamed for the Plague because they didn't die in great numbers as the other religious groups. Judaic religious practices make them pretty clean.
>>
>>62530
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well_poisoning#Medieval_accusations_against_Jews

They also poisoned wells with dead plagued animals
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.