[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ballet thread?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: Giselle-3-small.jpg (56 KB, 800x587) Image search: [Google]
Giselle-3-small.jpg
56 KB, 800x587
Ballet thread?
>>
>>561916
Which is your favourite, OP?
Mine are:
>Romeo and Juliet
>Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme
>La Malade Imaginaire
>Les Indes Galantes
>Rodeo - Copland
>The Red Detachment of Women
>>
>>561931
That's a hard question but... I'll have to go with John Neumeier's The Little Mermaid, San Francisco version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k27lDDj07Z4

I saw it live, not expecting much, but it was a really surprising experience. There's a scene where the Mermaid, now turned human and on the Prince's wedding cruise, feels herself trapped in her room and she begins to beat the walls confining her in her little human room in despair. On the night I saw it, she was so intense during this part that she ended up bleeding and there were red blood marks on the white walls. I thought it was intentional but during the after-talk with the performers she said it wasn't, and that she was probably going to get scolded since they had to redo the prop piece. on the DVD version there is no blood.

I've only seen a production of Romeo and Juliet out of the ones on your list. Are there any good recordings of the others?
>>
>>561916
I was a male ballet dancer. Originally wanted to go professional. Trained at School of American Ballet, American Ballet Theater's JKO academy, the Rock School for Dance Education, the Bolshoi Summer Intensive, and Edward Ellison's Academy in New York. I also competed in the Youth America Grand Prix in the solo and Pas De deux categories. Danced most male leads and variations throughout the years until I decided I wanted to go to college and have a normal life. Favorite roles to dance are Solor from La Bayadere, Ali from Le Corsaire, and Basil from Don Quixote. Favorite to watch is any of that amazing contemporary shit that the National Ballet of Canada does. They truly are my favorite company. Ask me Anything.
>>
>>562278
how busted are your feet?

ever regret taking on a role?

do you prefer story ballet or just dances?

if you could turn a book into a ballet, what book would you.choose?
>>
>>562285
Not that busted. I never had super flexible feet. Tough bones and I got injured way less than everyone else. So its a trade off. Strong feet=less injuries. But strong feet=less beautiful line. My big toes still do both crack on command haha. I never regret taking a role, but there are some roles that I definitely werent as great at. For instance, my style wasnt a great matchup as Siegfried in Swan Lake. But it definitely was ultra suited to Le Corsaire.
The Curse of the great soloist male dancer is pas de deuxs and rarely having an oppurtunity to do story ballets. I like story ballets, the whole event and all the insane rehersals leading up to it, its definitely much more gratifying come the performance days. But it is also way more nerve wracking because a lot is on your shoulders too.
Thats actually a great question. I think the Tatar Steppe by Dino Buzatti could make a great very dark piece. But I am trying to think who could choreograph it best.
>>
>>562289
did you get bullied for being a fag or were people accepting?
>>
>>562304
lel. Actually I got into ballet as a cross training for boxing and wrestling. So if anyone had anything to say it was settled right there. I also got to train and remain in physically perfect condition all day while being the only straight guy in the building fucking tight repressed psycho bunhead pussy. So all in all it wasnt bad at all.
>>
>>561916
I only know Swan Lake, The Nutcracker, The Firebird and The Rite of Spring.
What are the essentials of ballet?
>>
>>562362
check out La Bayadere, Giselle, Le Corsaire, Don Quixote, and Coppelia as well. Those are some of the main classical ballets too
>>
>>562309
How crazy are ballerinas really?

Also, as a /fit/izen, what kind of routine were you on? Was it serious weight or more about flexibility or endurance.
>>
File: Swan Lake - Georges de Feure.jpg (518 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
Swan Lake - Georges de Feure.jpg
518 KB, 1200x800
>>562368
>La Bayadere
Try the 1992 version of Nureyev because it's beautiful. Going to see Le Corsaire next week, hope it's worth it.

And to make this truly /his/, what do you guys think about this?

http://hazlitt.net/feature/portentous-composition-swan-lakes-place-soviet-politics
>>
>>562278
what's the name of the ballet that Baryshnikov is dancing at the start of the movie White Nights? that dude was fucking badassed.
>>
>>562541
A lot of them. Yea. Insanely obsessed with ballet to the point that there isnt really a life for them outside of it. Dancing itself is the most insane workout you could do. Barre work and center for 4 hours a day, not even including partnering tears you to pieces. I however did a lot of calisthenics stuff and weight training as well just for the strength and aesthetic and such. Also made partnering much easier. Mostly calisthenics though. We did have conditioning occasionally and it was a metric fuckton of yoga and core work. Like 20x the amount of core work that the average person does. Those skinny ballerinas are insanely fucking strong in their cores honestly.

>>565582
La jeune homme et la mort
>>
File: The Nutcracker.jpg (72 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
The Nutcracker.jpg
72 KB, 800x534
Best score
Best choreography
Best theatre
Best ballet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtLoaMfinbU
>>
>>562362
Sleeping Beauty
>>
File: fun_things_are_fun.png (293 KB, 940x444) Image search: [Google]
fun_things_are_fun.png
293 KB, 940x444
Who /Molière/ here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKuUqsR4WOY
>>
Has anyone else seen the ABT's new production of Sleeping Beauty? It was the freshest take I've seen in years, although I guess "fresh" is a strange word since the production is more of a historical ballet love letter rather than somethign new/inventive.

http://www.artsjournal.com/pencil/2015/03/american-ballet-theatres-historical-eye-popping-new-the-sleeping-beauty/
>>
>>566311
what a weird tree
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.