[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are new discoveries and dialetics in the science world get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: 1452454802458.jpg (14 KB, 300x237) Image search: [Google]
1452454802458.jpg
14 KB, 300x237
Why are new discoveries and dialetics in the science world get reported more often in news reports than new discoveries and dialetics in the philosophical world?
>>
because people would rather see stuff like
>space thing has taken pictures of pluto
on their facebook feeds so that they can just share it and never think about it again
>>
>>549764
Analytical philosophy has made animes real. What has engineering ever done for us?
>>
>>549764
Philosophy is something where it is much harder to create sound bites.

"We descovered a new particle"
vs
"We beat nihilism"
>>
>>549764
Show me a result from philosophy that is worth of to mention outside your little circle-jerk
>>
>>549870
Beating nihilism is infinitely more useful than discovering a new particle.
>>
>>550040
wait a few hundred years and inspect the state of the world
>>
>>550056
It will only be useful to philosophers and the world will still evolve by just saying "meh, I did not even cared about it in the first place".
>>
>>550067
No philosopher has predicted the evolution of our societies more than half a century appart. And by societies I mean their own.
>>
>>550079
Bakunin literally predicted the USSR
>>
>>550040
Waifus are real and love us.
philpapers.org/archive/sinPG
>>
>>549870
>We beat nihilism
The equivalent of finding a new particle would be more like "we have discovered a new perspective on plato's cave".
the science equivalent of beating nihilism would be "we have invented FTL intergalactic travel AND found intelligent aliens that we can communicate with".
>>
>>550086
Yea, just like nostradamus, amairait?

Also, the USSR is nothing like what he said, not even in principles.
>>
>>550097
You don´t know much about science besides pop-sci. Discovering a new particle is not trivial and it is of huge importance for the standard model-
>>
File: m5ulpxb85uvd0yemp5sy.gif (3 MB, 636x345) Image search: [Google]
m5ulpxb85uvd0yemp5sy.gif
3 MB, 636x345
>>549824
Well, for one, it can LITERALLY make anime real.

>vr doesn't count

Eventually we will have holograms like that guy from Archer and his anime girlfriend
>>
>>550107
It's not literally "finding the meaning of life".
Conclusively beating nihilism is like the most significant philosophical discovery imaginable, discovering a new particle is initially of unknown significance.
>>
>>550099
>Yea, just like nostradamus, amairait?
for somebody obsessed with logic you don't have very much of it anon
>>
>>550111
>holograms
we already have holograms? do you mean real/fully immersive vr? Cause real VR would be pretty cool.
>>
>>550111
>Well, for one, it can LITERALLY make anime real.
The modally real is literally real fool.
>>
>>550117
>Initially of unknown significance
For someone who hasn´t study particle physics it surley is.
>>550118
For fuck sakes, saying someone "predicted" some shit is always used in various form of exageration. You are oversimplyfing both his ideas and the USSR as a whole.
>>
>>550131
I was memeing, but you gotta admit, there's value in the ability of political and philisophical thought to point out the flaws in ideologies before the attempts to put them into practice
>>
>>550143
*philosophical lmao
>>
File: 1448060858840.jpg (28 KB, 510x346) Image search: [Google]
1448060858840.jpg
28 KB, 510x346
>>550131
>For someone who hasn´t study particle physics it surley is.
Oh, so you can tell me what exactly a new particle would mean for science before discovering, even before knowing the nature of that particle?
I'm genuinely curious how that works, can you elaborate?
>>
>>550169
In particle physics, and in most of modern physics, the theoretical framewrok is set before the experiment. The neutrino is an example as it was predicted to fit the model of the beta decay wich is of extreme importance for the formation of stable nuclei. It was discoverd later adding to the foundation of the standard model.

Most experiments usually are like this (more in our modern wordl), and little experiments are actually paradigm changers like the Michelson and Morley experiment or what came from the Photoelectric effect because you need really groundbreaking evidence to bring whole foundations down. I may get some people triggered by this but in some sense the theory surpased the experiments because we have really well established foundations from were we can play and the mathematical knowledge is even at a higher level. So we predict different possibilites and most of the times it has been showned to fit the theory amd add in many other things.
>>
>>549764
because philosophy is abstract mental masturbation and normies literally couldnt give less of a shit about your egotistical "breakthrough"

>>549870
>>550056
nihilism is already solved by absurdism
>>
>>550216
I think the point was more that the potential application isn't known until after. such as the impact of relativity etc on other research.
>>
File: ayy l.png (164 KB, 296x378) Image search: [Google]
ayy l.png
164 KB, 296x378
It's a /phil/ thread
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.