[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your thoughts on the Ottoman Empire?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9
File: bhbhjb.gif (18 KB, 508x408) Image search: [Google]
bhbhjb.gif
18 KB, 508x408
What are your thoughts on the Ottoman Empire?
>>
>>544252
their chairs are nice and have a varied selection
their beds are ass, no support
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 348x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 348x350
Powerful, respectable and mighty empire before they got BTFO in Vienna, after that they were slowly approaching their end, becoming irrelevant in european affairs. Suleiman was based though.
>>
>>544252
Uniquely long-lived for what began as another Turkic dynasty, and unique also as a Muslim power centered in Constantinople and the Balkans.
>>
>>544252
The last great Mediterranean power, if you think of it. Their defeat in ww1 marked the end of a tradition from Alexander's successors to Rome
>>
>>544252
If only Napoleon was given more troops and cannon.
>>
Mixed feelings. They shit up the Balkans and Eastern Europe and beheaded/jitzya'd anyone who would not convert to Islam. And there's Constantinople. But on the other hand, like every major empire the world has seen their legacy and achievements live on today. Also, they sure did frequent homosexuality quite a lot for Muslims.
>>
>>544317
>>544349
>>544822
>>545030
>>545103

to be honest it doesn't sound like anyone in here can do anything more than name several of the well-known facts about the Ottoman Empire.
>>
>>545103
the why were there non muslims still living in the heart of the ottoman sultanate, until its end.
>>
>>545103
As far as theological empires go, the Ottomans were actually pretty religiously tolerant actually. The incentives to convert to Islam were typically more like less taxation, no Janissary levies, etc. as opposed to brute force.
>>
>>545123
>why wasn't every single person in a massive empire spanning across multiple continents the same religion
Hm...
>>
>>545119
To be honest I was responding with my thoughts which is what was asked in the OP.
>>
>>544252
Britain should have let Russia finish them off.
>>
>>545167

oh okay, my thoughts are that it should be taught more and studied more
>>
Lame and gay, Russia should've been allowed to take Istanbul.
>>
>>545126
You're right. I could have worded that better. It seems as though Ottoman aggression was worst in the Balkans.
>>
>>545165
>>545165
try millions of people in and around the capital of an islamic empire not being non muslims. and this is suppose to be an empire that is trying to force non muslims to convert. sure if there were non muslims on the edges of empire that would be different. but there were non muslims in anatolia and istanbul and the surrounding areas at the time of the dissolution of the ottoman sutanate.
>>
>>545173
>>545169
+100 rubbles
>>
>>545205
Would have been one less problem during WW1 though.
>>
>>546335
If the ruskies would have taken istanbul it would be one giant commieblock by now.
There is a reason every ex russian clay looks lifeless and gray.
>>
>>544252

>Molla Fenari became the first Sheikh-ul-Islam in 1425. This was an office whose main function was to ensure that the conduct of goverment was in accordance with Islamic law. Their duties would eventually expand into the bureaucracy, educational systems, plotting against the Sultans, inciting Janissary uprisings, and preventing the modernization of the army and the civil service.
I don't remember what book I read it in, but it made me chuckle.
>>
>>545173
>>547392
Did they even have any concrete plans to take Istanbul? It always seemed like a pipe dream for them even without the bongs and the frogs trying to preserve the balance of power.
>>
File: lol.jpg (26 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
26 KB, 480x480
about to read Osman's dream. Worth it?
>>
File: go back to asia .jpg (123 KB, 742x480) Image search: [Google]
go back to asia .jpg
123 KB, 742x480
>>544252
I've seen muslim pages on Instagram praise the Ottomans for "spreading Islam to Europe". Apparently this is worthy of a blessing in their religion. I was left disgusted.

How is rape, murder, kidnapping, plunder, and subjugation worthy of a blessing?

>inb4 muh muslim conquests
They did kill, but they did so respectively. Ottomans just wanted to fuck Euro chicks because of small penor. They are from Asia, after all.
>>
>>547955
They were probably Turks or plebs that have never read a book on the subject.

Turk nationalists are some of the worst people on the internet (and in the world).
>>
File: 1449357326000.jpg (213 KB, 778x1000) Image search: [Google]
1449357326000.jpg
213 KB, 778x1000
>>547955
>How is rape, murder, kidnapping, plunder, and subjugation worthy of a blessing?

these are what %90 percent of modern entertainment based on you closet rapist, muslims enjoy it, christians enjoy it, godless heathens enjoy it i am pretty sure chinks are into murder and rape as well.

we enjoy knowing that we subjugated those who oppose us or under us.

human nature
>>
File: ethan.jpg (43 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ethan.jpg
43 KB, 1280x720
>>547955
>They did kill, but they did so respectively. Ottomans just wanted to fuck Euro chicks because of small penor. They are from Asia, after all.
>>>
> Anonymous 01/12/16(Tue)17:14:57 No.548010▶
>>
>>548010
Any nationalist on the internet is the worst person in the world, whether they're turk, greek, or russian.
>>
File: Statue-Augustus.jpg (492 KB, 1500x2250) Image search: [Google]
Statue-Augustus.jpg
492 KB, 1500x2250
>>548269
Preach
>>
>>547955
Kek butthurt
>>
>>547392
You act as if gommunism was predestined.
>>
File: sad_pepe.png (186 KB, 936x590) Image search: [Google]
sad_pepe.png
186 KB, 936x590
>>544252

I find it great fapping material.

I love to imagine myself as a Janissary raping loli during the fall of Constantinople or being the Sultan with entire rooms of slave women.
>>
>>548310
Do you think anything would have changed with the tsar's policy if they would have conquered anatolia ?
>>
>>548318
>women

Boys are for pleasure anon. Now get in the Ottoman anal circle.
>>
>>548310

Everything is predestined, anon. That's what it says in the Bible.

Stalin and the Communists never had the Lord's grace and that is why when I look down on them from Heaven I will enjoy the puffs of smoke rising up as they burn. Just imagine burning your finger on a hot stove, then imagine that feeling over every part of your body including the tip of your penis, that is what atheists, liberals, communists and muslims have to look forward to while I watch and enjoy bliss for eternity.

I am one of the Elect, as God willed it from the beginning of time.
>>
>>548338
>what is Saint Petersburg
Russian cities are nice when they have the Italians and the French build them.
>>
>>547392
>le all Russian cities are nothing but commieblocks mene
Stop this please. Only true for some industrial towns and cities in Siberia and the Far east.
>>
>>548370
Oh dear
>>
>>548370
cool story bruh
>>
File: 1388320995958.jpg (167 KB, 1312x1014) Image search: [Google]
1388320995958.jpg
167 KB, 1312x1014
>>548370
Calvinism, not even once!
>>
>>547955

Then you think it's equally offensive when you hear Christians express any kind of positive comment about Christianity being adopted anywhere by anyone?
>>
>>548799
No one praises allied intervention in China as a spread of Christianity.

Most Christians know the difference between spreading the faith and politics.
>>
>>548813

So you only have a problem with missionary work, and any political shenanigans that happened before, during, or after?
>>
Ottoman Empire was one of the better stabilizing factors in the Middle East, the sheer amount of cultural and economic compromises to accommodate the hundreds of different cultural groups really shaped the empire as not an imperial empire but a culturally plural empire (looking at you UK/France)
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.