[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Spengler's Eight Civilizations (and one emergent high culture)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
Spengler's Eight Civilizations (and one emergent high culture)
Babylonian
Egyptian
Chinese
Indian
Mexican
Classical/Roman
Magian/Arabian
Western
Russian
>>
File: Clash_of_Civilizations_map.png (154 KB, 800x395) Image search: [Google]
Clash_of_Civilizations_map.png
154 KB, 800x395
>>541178
Are Slavs in Western? Huntington lists Orthodox as a separate one.
>>
>>541178
Human beings are the only species that need to feel important
>>
>>541387
Western Slavs are indeed Western. The Czech were associated with HRE since the beginning and later just the Habsburgs alone. Poles went with them and later they irreversibly turned to West thanks to Napoleon.
>>
>>541387
In Spengler's view they'd be between Russian and Magian. (Greeks and Armenians are Magians.)
>>
>>541178
>Mexican
>civilization

what?
aztecs and other amerindians civilizations=/= mexico

mexico is a byproduct of spanish colonial rule
>>
>>541398
>Poland had the first European 'western' constitution modelled after the US before Napoleon was relevant
>"Napoleon westernised Poland"

Frog historian
>>
>>541845
They are influenced by the same geography and the staple food of the area was and still is mais
>>
>>541398
Of course idiots may misunderstand this if they're not too bright. Basically those were the events that decided that these nations considered themselves western.
>>
Can't believe Mexico is a culture or that it stands in for all of South America
>>
>>541392
You don't frame power displays as a need to feel important?
>>
>>541178
Actually, when you are driving pig to a slaughterhouse... they know.
>>
>>541178
He recognizes at least eight high cultures: Babylonian, Egyptian, Chinese, Indian, Mesoamerican (Mayan/Aztec), Classical (Greek/Roman), Arabian, Western or "European-American."
>>
>>542046
I thought it just meant mexico and northern south america, the other areas never developed a high culture like africa and russia
>>
>>541178
It's just way too much of a reach to group Greek and Arabian civilizations under one banner, especially when it's named after a third Zoroastrian convention.
And because of what, their domed ceilings in places of worship? That's all it takes to mean you belong to the same exact worldview?
>>
>>542089
prove it
>>
>>542635
Rome was magian after 226 ad when Caracalla took over. Also if you read him that's not the main criteria, the main one is how they viewed the struggle in human life, for magain it's between spirit and soul
>>
>>542635
> for the Magian Thinker the expression ~'world-history" meant a unique and supremely dramatic act, having as its theatre the lands between Hellas and Persia, in which the strictly dualistic world-sense of the East expressed itself not by means of polar conceptions like the I I soul and spirit," Or the good and evil" of contemporary meta- physics, but by the figure of a catastrophe, an epochal change of phase between world-creation and world-decay.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.