[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do semites write backwards?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: Hebrew Alphabet.gif (14 KB, 873x565) Image search: [Google]
Hebrew Alphabet.gif
14 KB, 873x565
Why do semites write backwards?
>>
Why do Westerners write backwards?
>>
>>522713

Assuming that most people are right handed, writing left to right makes sense, it's the natural and easier motion for a guy holding a pen.
>>
back in the day there was no standard direction to write, it was common for people to write both ways, even on the same paper, alternating on each line. The west eventually settled on left to right, while the east did the opposite.
>>
>>522718

no it doesnt, you've just been trained that way
>>
>>522743

It literally does. It is much easier for the arm to move outwards, away from the body, than it does inwards, towards the body. This is biology, how your joints are hinged, it has nothing to do with "training".
>>
>>522744

nope
>>
>>522718
>>522744

>right handed

ancient semites didnt write with pencils you dumb sack of shit

they wrote using chisels and hammers on stone slabs which is easier to do right to left, with the chisel in the right hand and hammer in the left
>>
>>522744
>be Semite
>invent writing system, decide randomly on a convention for the direction of writing
>some sperglord shows up and lectures me about how my choice isn't ergonomic
>have him killed and fed to the camels for the entertainment of my fellow tribesmen.
>>
>>522777

Take your right hand, extend it forward, shoulder width, lock your elbow.

Now, bending only at the shoulder, try to move your arm to the left, inward towards your body. Then, return it to straight forward, and try to bend it right, away from your body.

If you can't go significantly further away than towards, you have a serious condition and should see a doctor immediately.

>>522786

See, this makes a good deal of sense.

But then why did the Romans also write left to right, when they started by chiseling things on stone too.
>>
>>522743
If you're right handed and you write from right to left, your hand will smudge the ink
>>
>>522812
Checkmate, commies.
>>
>>522803

Romans began writing in Boustrophedon
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boustrophedon
>>
File: Boustrophedon.png (10 KB, 488x128) Image search: [Google]
Boustrophedon.png
10 KB, 488x128
>>522803

Boustrophedon my friend

It's a form of writing where one line is right to left and the next is left to right, it makes it easier for the scribe to write

The Greeks used to do this, and eventually settled into writing left to right for whatever reason during the classical period, and the Romans took after them

We're not too sure why

>>522812

Not really, you could just raise your hand a bit

I'm not sure where this meme comes from since I write with my hand slightly above the page anyway
>>
>>522825
>>522827

Again, interesting. Did not know. Thanks, anons.
>>
>>522709
to match how they think.
>>
>>522727
>back in the day
You're on a history board.
>>
I'm a Semite and I literally can't write in my native tongue, especially not in cursive. I have terrible penmanship and it feels awkward as hell. European languages feel much better.
>>
File: chrysostom.jpg (15 KB, 236x236) Image search: [Google]
chrysostom.jpg
15 KB, 236x236
>>522713
Why do Westerners do the sign of the Cross backwards? Is it the same reason why Protestants don't do it at all?
>>
>>523234
Oops forgot my trip.
>>
>>522744
>/his/ discusses anatomy
>>
>>523231

Because you never trained yourself to do so

An Arab writing latin for the first time would be horrendous, just like a European writing in Arabic for the first time

You just need to practice and eventually it flows
>>
>>523254

Biological determinism is a thing.
>>
>>523273
I thought most Europeans already write Arabic.
>>
>>522727
>while the east did the opposite.
wow what a stupid generalized statement.

East writes downward, right to left and left to right depending on the region you uneducated communist twat.
>>
>>522709
because they were massive weebs
>>
>>523244
S M O O T H
M .I .L O
O L. I .M
O O M F
T
H

>>522827
Very cool, there's a lot of research into how writing direction influences other directional thought like reading the composition in images, I doubt there's enough boustrophedon writers to have been studied but I wonder how it would impact that.
>>
Semites are Westerners. In East Asia we use to write right to left because we read books right to left.
>>
>>522744
/thread
>>
>>522713
/thread
>>
>>522709
They write to left because they has Levits ancestors. Guess, people of left-handers outcast from other tribes as devilish people, and was maded they own tribe.
>>
>>527392

See >>>509405 and enjoy your butthurt.

You are the weakest link, goodbye.
>>
>>522713
fuck your relativism Shlomo
>>
>>522812
but they wrote making wedges in clay tablets.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.