[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
University
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: tumblr_mt8p6bApkI1qi6phio1_500.jpg (103 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mt8p6bApkI1qi6phio1_500.jpg
103 KB, 500x332
I am currently a junior in college studying history. I have read history books since I could read and am getting pretty good grades. Any advice/tips to help get a better edge over my classmates? Any tips for going towards a masters? Any help is welcome and appreciated /his/ bros.

>inb4 "you'll never get a job with a degree in history"
>>
>>509959
>Any advice/tips to help get a better edge over my classmates?

Read the seminal works of the discipline and major works of theory about reading. EP Thompson. Hayden White. Chris Hill. Harry Braverman. Engels. Marx.

>Any tips for going towards a masters?
Why would you do a course work masters in a research driven field?

If you want a professional masters:
Archivism
Librarianship
Curatorial studies.
>>
>>510009
What if I want to be a history professor?
>>
>>509959
Start reading articles in academic journals. You'll find things you don't know about, have to research them for yourself, and likely have to do some further looking-up whilst doing that. Bibliography is key.

You need to know the scholarship if you're going to have anything interesting to say, even if it's only marginally original.
>>
>>510014
>What if I want to be a history professor?
You need to do a PhD, publish three books, and suck the right dicks and cunts.
>>
>>510014
Oh, and have three or more related languages (on top of natural) to archival level.
>>
>>510014
Then, as a junior still in university, you should already be working at a 1st/2nd year postgrad student level.

Know German and one Romance language.

And start asking your profs about being your supervisor for your senior honors thesis.
>>
>>510037
>Know German and one Romance language.

>European history.

Way to steer them into an overblown field.

Indonesian, Sumatran, Javanese, Traditional Chinese.

Vietnamese (modern), Vietnamese (using Traditional Chinese), Traditional Chinese, Lao, Cambodian.

etc.

A big part is what you're interested in versus what the AHA conferences will want in 10 years time.
>>
>>510037
I can partially hold a convo in german. Is study abroad in a country with a different language worth it or just a waste of money?
>>
>>510049
Keep in mind that if you're gonna learn any of these lingos you have to take them SUPER fucking seriously.
I've been studying traditional Chinese my entire life (school only) and can just barely write at a native level.
>>
>>510049
Would Chinese be a good one? What about middle eastern languages
>>
>>510090
This, exactly. And you need to be able to read archival material from a relevant time period. And you need to be able to beat first language speakers at reading and archival access. While getting a teaching position in your home country.

>>510097
If you learn Chinese you also need to learn a bunch of other modern or classical asian languages depending on your period. It is "Home language" + 3. It is PhD + 3 books.

>What about middle eastern languages.
I wouldn't advise researching in this area if you care about what you're researching.
>>
>>510049
Most graduate schools will make you take German because the Prussians were beasts who started researching into damn near everything.

And for East Asia, French is not a bad idea either.

[spoiler]OP never said what department of history he was in[/spoiler]
>>
>>510114
What do you mean what department am I in? I have to take credits in every history department in order to graduate
>>
>>510088
Study abroad: I never was convinced of its worth.

Usually over the summer, if you need language experience, the different language departments will hold courses for grad students. Granted this is just reading, but that's all that is required.

>>510125
History is just lumped into one faculty at your university?
>>
>>510133
>>510133
We have one history department yes
>>
>>510114
>>510125
>>510133

Australia doesn't have history departments any more. Thank's managerialism.
>>
>>510133
What's your opinion on those free language learners online?
>>
>>510147
In that case, ask whatever prof does your area of interest for a Bibliography. He should have one, or be more than happy to write one up

>>510149
I know that Sydney has a preposterously divided-up way of organizing things, but they're goofy down there in the classics department to begin with.

>>510152
Anything to get the ball rolling. But I have always started new (modern) languages just by learning to read. It's vastly easier than learning to speak, and read at the level you can speak. And more rewarding
>>
>>510175
>I know that Sydney has a preposterously divided-up way of organizing things

Australia has a functioning University trade union. Most of the managerialism is an attempt to break proletarian power.

Last University I was at the lowest level administrative unit had 17 teaching areas that should have been departmental without differentiated administrative structure or curriculum control.

Remember: this shit happens in Australia first, so you're going to be working in the Department of All That Stuff
>>
>>510181
It's bad enough when i have to tangle with the sub-faculty of languages and literature, let alone Hellenists. I can't imagine what it'd be like trying to convince a bunch of orientalists that it's really worth the 20 grand a year for access to some new database of something or other
>>
>>510193
>I can't imagine what it'd be like trying to convince a bunch of orientalists that it's really worth the 20 grand a year for access to some new database of something or other

In Australia you have to convince the library. Because they hold all acquisitions funding.
>>
File: 231232132.jpg (20 KB, 257x209) Image search: [Google]
231232132.jpg
20 KB, 257x209
>>510203
>>
>>510175
What do you mean exactly by asking him for a bibliography? I go to the university of montana if that offers any more insight
>>
>>510209
Ask him to write a bibliography of applicable books/articles
>>
>>510206
And yet they STILL don't join the union or become militant.

>>510209
Dear Kevo [use your judgement about intimacy in your system]

I really enjoyed your lecture on [bunnies in the development of class in England (look it up: conies were introduced)]. I was interested in pursuing higher studies after my degree in the area of [cunt themed animal based environmental history] and was wondering if you had a bibliography on [cocks and cunts in history and the environment] so that I could do more advanced reading in this area. In particular I'd be very interested in what texts you consider seminal in the field, and what the major theoretical and historiographical contributions I should attend to are.

Are you aware of any topics suitable for a final year thesis that you could recommend me?

yours, as a machine of love and grace,
Horrible Smelly Undergraduate.
>>
>>510209
Bibliography as in reading list.

Unless you need one for Classics, I'm useless
>>
>>510228
My bibliography was always everything in the LOC / Dewey classification.
>>
>>510220
>>510226

Kek thanks senpai
>>
Learn German
>>
>>509959
Start researching themes and archetypes throughout History, get more acquainted with the major theories and the History of History and the History of Historical education.

Also, do a youtube search for the term, "dustification."
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.