[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do some smart high school students want to major in humanities?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 8
(Note: I am talking about NON-AMERICAN countries where you can major in Medicine, Dentistry, etc as an UNDERGRADUATE)

Some high school students who got extremely good grades in their finals (i.e. good enough for Medicine in non-American countries) decide to major in humanity programs History, Anthropology, etc. Why would they pick that?

It's a waste of their good marks to pick these programs which are easy to get into. Jobs related to these majors are hard to get. The world is not the same as a century ago where only a small proportion if the population can go to university so any university student can find a decent job after graduation. Sure, some graduates will get a well-paid, stable job, but the chances are that will not be you.

I guess you can also teach with a humanities degree, but teaching has its own terrible aspects where you have to deal with brats who don't care about their education. Really, every job has its own terrible aspects and work is not meant to be fun.

Getting into postgraduate Law is also competitive, risky, and a waste of time when these high school kids can just pick Law straight out of high school.
>>
Because they have zero interest in medicine, dentistry or law?
>>
>>502740
These people are just being picky. Really, all jobs become boring over time. Just memorise some shit at uni and find a well-paid, stable job afterwards. Work is not meant to be fun and it is more important that you can pay the bills in the future.
>>
>>502746
Good goy.
>>
>>502734
Sometimes they have a genuine interest in those fields.

Other times it's because they've been molded to believe by their doped up boomer parents from birth that college is a necessary endgame if you don't want to flip burgers or be a criminal.

Which is absurd, since anyone majoring in political science is well on their way to being more of a criminal than your average non-collegiate.
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 258x386) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 258x386
>>502734
>>502746
"Don't do what you love, do what's best for the economy!"

|
|>
|
|
|
>>
>>502746#

>I am fine with my doctor, dentist and lawyer not really being interested in it and just turning up to keep paying the bills

A job that becomes boring after 20 years is slightly different to a job that is boring right from the start
>>
>>502752
>Sometimes they have a genuine interest in those fields
This passion will fade once they start working. Most people ended up being burned out.
>>
>>502759
The outcome is the same. What is the difference?
>>
Because money is not the most important good.
>>
Looks like op picked a field that he had no interest in and now hates his life.
>>
>>502734

>Note: I am talking about NON-AMERICAN countries where you can major in Medicine, Dentistry, etc as an UNDERGRADUATE

At least in the UK, it's more about where you go than what degree you do. A humanities degree from a good university will always be looked on favourably compared to a STEM from a doss one.

literally everyone I know that studied chemistry is now a teacher and the physicists aren't doing any better. if you are good enough to do engineering or mathematics, do engineering or mathematics
>>
>>502770
So? All jobs are shit, so you might as well pick one which pays better.
>>502778
It's not just humanity degrees. This also applies to pure science degrees but this is a humanities board so I did not post this here.
>>
>>502778
>>502734

>Getting into postgraduate Law is also competitive, risky, and a waste of time

Also that's patently false. The GDL has something like a 80% acceptance rate if you've got a 2:1 which you have to be clinically retarded not to get.

It's immeasurably easier to get into postgraduate law than undergraduate in the UK
>>
>>502789
So? Why get into postgraduate Law when you can get into the undergraduate program? Waste a couple of years?
>>
>>502769

Except it's not. Someone doing a job they hate and have hated from the start will not do the same as someone who runs into work every morning and loves every second.
>>
A kid with their head screwed on right can become a qualified sled-dog in engineering or medicine or what have you, despite a lack of interest: of this much you are correct. However, the OP might perhaps consider that in a field which has become bloated and devalued, a newcomer who is both A.competent and B.passionate has the potential not only to be adequate, but maybe even great. I mean, look at the top dogs in the academic hierarchy of the liberal arts today. Could they have become doctors? Probably. Would they have been as prominent in the field of medicine as they have been in their own? Likely not.

Some people are better off being a high shrub among low grasses than just another tall-enough bush in the hedge, OP.
>>
>>502786
Sorry but not everyone shares your edgy view of the world in which everyone hates their job aside from the compensation it brings. It sounds like you keep projecting your own apathetic outlook on life onto everyone else. I think that there are plenty of historians and doctors who enjoy their career and don't just do things for the sake of money.
>>
>>502786

>All jobs are shit
>Someone who loves books and media should get a job as a carpenter. It pays more than being a librarian so...
>>
>>502796
>will not do the same as someone who runs into work every morning and loves every second
>implying these folks will not end up like that
>>
>>502792

>Why get into postgraduate Law when you can get into the undergraduate program?

Did you read my post? It's much easier to get in as a postgraduate and if you look at the intake of law firms it's roughly 50-50 law to non-law graduates anyway.

It's not "wasted" if the outcome is exactly the same.
>>
Tbh I agree with OP. Studied humanities, got a job and I have a decent salary, but 90% of my colleagues have neither. And in the end, work becomes just work. Chances are very slim you will be amazed with what you're doing at work every single day if you don't take steps to pursue something in the form of specific projects and such.
All real joy I get from history and anthropology is from reading about it and expanding my knowledge, which I could have been doing even if I studied medicine or law. Still, I don't regret it because I was lucky, but not many are.

Money sure helps in maintaining a lifestyle in which you can pursue your interests too...
>>
>>502798
>look at the top dogs in the academic hierarchy of the liberal arts today
But what are your chances of ending up like that? Close to zero? These fields are competitive as hell.
>>502799
Most people dislike their jobs: http://www.ryot.org/gallup-poll-70-americans-disengaged-jobs/376177
>>502800
Well it depends on a lot of factors. Being a librarian seems like a stable job so it is ok.
>>
>>502804

Maybe they will. Maybe they won't. Still beats the hell out of someone starting out like that.
>>
>>502734
I study Philosophy in Venice and was a top student both in High School and uni - so much so that I'm in a "gifted students" program or some shit like that.

I don't give a fuck about anything else, really. I like studying Philosophy, I like writing Philosophy, I like talking about Philosophy. I'm not much of a financial burden to my family, and I'll probably manage to get a job anyway. If it happens to be about what I like, all the better.

I don't get why I should be doing something else with my time and brain, especially something I really do not give a shit about. I can do what I like, I will do what I like. Everything else, at least for now, is meaningless. Why yes, I'm liable to change my opinion over time but that means almost nothing for me now.

Btw, anyone studying Philosophy somewhere in Europe in this thread? How's your uni? Thinking about studying somewhere wlse in the future, would kind of like a few opinions from fellow students about their country/uni education.
>>
>>502806
You waste a couple of years of not earning cash.
>>502816
See? Someone agrees with me!
>>
>>502831
Most will. Look: http://www.ryot.org/gallup-poll-70-americans-disengaged-jobs/376177
>>
>>502832
Have fun flipping burgers in McDonalds in the future.
>>
>>502836

>You waste a couple of years of not earning cash.

If you can secure a training contract law firms will pay you during your conversion course
>>
>>502839
You know - saying something like that makes it abundantly clear you have no idea how the job market works. There are plenty of jobs requiring no qualification or experience, some of which may even be, if not pleasurable, at least more bearable than the dull ennui of McDonalds. And that's if one can't spin his non-degree experience/qualities any other way.
>>
>>502858
So? You could have just picked Law.
>>502879
I understand how the job market works. There is now a glut of graduates in a lot of fields, so find something that is not as competitive.
>>
>>502888

>So? You could have just picked Law.

Fuck's sake. Have you actually read any of my posts? It is more difficult to get into a decent law degree than it is, say, English. Shall I explain how this works?

Let's say you want to go to Oxford.

Law has around a 15% acceptance rate
English around 30%

>You apply and get in for English
>You get your obligatory 2:1
>You get your training contract as not doing a law degree does not count against you in this process
>You get paid to do your conversion course
>You are now a lawyer
>>
>>502888
>There is now a glut of graduates in a lot of fields, so find something that is not as competitive

What does that even mean? You couldn't be more generic and trite if you tried. Look man I get it, you got some points, but experience (and observation, but I'll just stick to what I know) taught me that you can get a job if you can sell yourself well - provided there is something to sell, and that goes beyond your academic preparation. I'll have a Philosophy degree, but I'll also have a C2 in English, previous experiece working with publishing houses and cultural associations, good references - and those are just hard facts. You can put a spin on them, make yourself far more interesting or appealing than you might otherwise be. Sure, that won't get you a job with requisites like >Architecture Degree but if you wanted to do that, you'd have done something else, which is kind of your point.
>>
>>502904
I'm talking about smart high school kids with high school grades good enough for Law
>>502905
Kek how can you find experience first with no networks? Why would a publishing house pick you over an English graduate?
>>
>>502906
Read it again. I already have worked with publishing houses. I already have "networks". Doesn't take a degree to build them.
>>
>>502916
How did you build them though in the first place? Are you from an influential family?
>>
>>502919
I was interested in literature. I went to literary events and talked with people, especially the organizers. I started working along them, without getting money. I did menial jobs, I got to know people, I got known. I became part of their machine. Now I have references, contacts, networks.

Alternatively, become a radio host for your uni or something like that. Doesn't cot money and you get to make a name for yourself and know people, you just have to put in the time and effort.
>>
>>502906

>I'm talking about smart high school kids with high school grades good enough for Law

Having good enough grades does not guarantee you a place. Competition exists and is a thing.
>>
>>502734
You were on /sci/. You made a thread for asking why smart high school students want to do research.

I hope something bad happens to you. Just a little.
>>
>>502941
Yeah, but some of these kids decide not to pick Law even after they got an offer. What a waste.
>>502945
>I hope something bad happens to you. Just a little.
Why? What did I do?
>>
>>502952

>Yeah, but some of these kids decide not to pick Law even after they got an offer.

You can only apply for one subject you dingus
>>
>>502759
t. 16 year old tumblrina
>>
File: 1450606275066.jpg (46 KB, 766x460) Image search: [Google]
1450606275066.jpg
46 KB, 766x460
>>502832
>University of Venice
Padua master race
>>
>>502955
I'm not just talking about the UK. The system works differently in Australia, Canada, Germany, Scandinavia, etc etc.
>>
>>502786
>So? All jobs are shit
Sounds to me you're just a faggot who lacks a field you feel passionate about.
>>
>>502957

>only tumblrina's dont want their doctors, dentists and lawyers being jobsworths who pack up and are out the door the second the clock hits 5.
>>
>>502945
This guy shitposts on /adv/ all the time and I've seen him on /an/ and /mu/ as well. He enjoys spamming the boards.
>>
>>502968
No, it is common sense. All jobs are stressful and most people hate their jobs.
>>
>>502969
No but they are as retarded as you
>>
>>502978

How many people hate their jobs because they're just doing it for the money and not because it's something they want to do?
>>
>>502992
Lol, care about writing something intelligent?
>>
>>502995
I really don't know. I mean, some people pursued their passions and regret it.
>>
>>502992

>putting your life and liberty in the hands of someone who doesn't give a shit about you and likely holds you in contempt because dealing with you is interrupting their pottery or flower arranging.
>not retarded
>>
>>503007

Some do. Most don't.

While most who DON'T follow their passion do end up regretting it.

"I wish I'd done more overtime and taken fewer vacations" - Noone
>>
>>503017
A lot do regret it. In similar threads that I've created, some people mentioned regretting their decisions.
In other threads, people advised OP not to pursue his passion. Look: http://archive.4plebs.org/adv/thread/16592175/#16592175
http://archive.4plebs.org/trv/thread/1061300/#1061300
http://archive.4plebs.org/trv/thread/1063918/#1063918
>>
>>503030

>some
>alot
>same as most

>he thinks people post their actual opinions and good advice on a Taiwanese Basket Weaving forum
>>
>>503035
Well read these archived posts yourself and see for yourself. These people are giving legit advice.
And lol, you guys are on 4chan too.
>>
>Non-American countries
Are we talking of the whole American continent or just USA here? This really triggered my autism.
>>
>>503340
Doesn't matter - applies to the UK/Australia/NZ/Germany/Austria/wherever
>>
>>503340
>This really triggered my autism
Is this a joke or what? OP is an autist who posts versions of this thread on different boards
>>
I do what I want.
t.artist
>>
>>503364
Have fun flipping burgers at McDonalds.
>>
>>503370
Why do you care so much about the career prospects and lives of other people? Why are you so upset at the idea that people might do what they enjoy instead of making money? It's there lives, seriously.
Also if I'm desperate I'll just work as a concept artist.
>>
>>503381
I just don't get why people make these decisions. They make no sense!
What if that doean't work out? You are stuck with Starbucks.
>>
humanities is very inviting if you've got an ego. Even the scientific greats have dabbled in related subjects

why? Because no matter what you think, there's always room to write and speculate on it. At entry level it's sort of creative non-fiction writing within the range of some basic facts. You've got a lot of intellectual autonomy to interpret events

of course, this is before the ideological dogmatism starts getting shoehorned in a big way
>>
>>503400
Yeah, but what are your chances of finding a stable, well-paid job after your degree? Close to zero?
>>
File: 1451709562088.png (1 MB, 1484x2130) Image search: [Google]
1451709562088.png
1 MB, 1484x2130
>>503411
take a look at poli sci/history/econ on the chart

anyways, I've said nothing about jobs or employment. I'm just talking about why people study in the field
>>
>>503431
Econ is good. I never said it was shit.
>>
>>503392
No, they aren't. Take painting for example. Knowing the basic principles of composition and color theory are pretty much required to create paintings that are more than just randomly-slapped together trash. Those same skills can be used in logo design and advertising. A history major could use their knowledge of old wars not just rooting through books, but also to point out what tactics might be bullshit on a modern battlefield.
And finally, if that doesn't work you can always try going back to school.
>>
>>503431
Why is there no Law on that chart?
>>
>>502760
Who hurt you anon?
>>
>>502978
> Most people hate their jobs.
This depends entirely on where you live. In the US, only 1 in 10 enjoy being at work. In Sweden, it's 9 out of 10.

But that doesn't change the fact that there is people who enjoy their work. I can't imagine that you haven't met at least one person who love their work.
>>
File: 88t2.jpg (37 KB, 480x357) Image search: [Google]
88t2.jpg
37 KB, 480x357
>tfw being from a wealthy family and studying whatever the fuck you want
>>
>>503746
I don't even know where the stats or from and there certainly isn't an employabillity index as part of it

you tell me
>>
>>502831
Thing is having a shitty work environment like most places can kill even the most enthusiastic people.

Ever saw the light of youth leave an inner city school teacher?
>>
>>502755
>people's tastes aren't shaped by time, experience and even sheer will

it sucks that so many people find the humanities bullshit interesting
>>
>>502734
I can half agree with you.
Some people are saying to pursue your interests but a degree like that is only good if you actually want to teach or become a scholar. Both fine choices, but far too often people get these degrees and then are surprised when they just wasted 4 years on school and have no job prospects.

I love history, but I don't need an expensive piece of paper saying that
>>
>>502734
>majoring in anything other than Computer Science or Robotics
Enjoy having to beg your nerd overlords for scraps of food.
>>
Personal interest in them.
Not everyone goes to academia for job security.
>>
>>503742
>And finally, if that doesn't work you can always try going back to school.
There is a glut of humanities graduates. Finding a job related to your degree is tough.
>>503929
Why the difference? The data for Sweden must be fake.
>>504458
Sucks to have no job security. Why don't these people just aspire to become government employees?
>>
>>503742
Every art school kid just thinks they can fall back on graphic design. But it's overcrowded as fuck and there aren't going to be any more openings.
>>
>>506583
/thread
My point all along
>>
File: 1443896320737.jpg (167 KB, 405x412) Image search: [Google]
1443896320737.jpg
167 KB, 405x412
>>502752
>anyone majoring in political science is well on their way to being more of a criminal than your average non-collegiate.

I might have to steal that quip anon.
>>
>>502760
>>503762
Probably some C/B grade history major who wanted to go into academia but is now having to settle into a high school job.
>>
>>504391
>history and the humanities
WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU EVEN HERE

FUCK
>>
>>507236
that SO MANY people find it intersting as CAREERS
learn to context.
>>
>>507262
YEAH
>it sucks that so many people find the humanities bullshit interesting AS CAREERS

Why in the fuck does it "suck"?

So many posters on here study the humanities, with various careers in mind.

Go back to your autustic /sci/ circle jerk, cunt.
>>
>>505568
> The data for Sweden must be fake.

The majority of people I've worked with have enjoyed their job, mainly due to their work-buddies. I can count the people I know who have had works they hate on one hand.

If I'd guess I'd due to a meritocratic tradition fueled by publicly funded universities. People will read to what they want to be, and finding work meaningful is a very easy way to make people work better.

t. Swede
>>
>>502734
#1 not everybody is yuppie like you

#2 some people can't get into some subjects, I know several people who are great at history(as in - they have good memory and like the subject) but did poorly in biology(since their good memory wasn't 'interested' in learning biology)

#3 medicine is a scam, especially in 3rd world - you get paid a lot, if you work in hospital in big city and then you can also have private visitors and work on 2 hospitals(although it's more popular thing for nurses but you get my point) etc.
Except big cities are also very competitive. Outside of them there's not much competition but also less money.

#4 people have their interest from time to time

#5 some people approach university as a mean to prolong their childhood

_____

I'm an engineer and you know what? I knew people like you, people who wanted to get their degree to get good job and nothing else. The few I still have contact with don't work in their field and complain endlessly how they would be better off doing some political science or other bullshit - and working part time or partying full time - because while the diploma wasn't completely worthless, any other diploma would do the same. For example - one of them works in retail. Oh shit, shitty dead end job? Well, the guy managed to make a decent career out of it, so he was managing whole shop and at this point - a region - and the last promotion(to "regional manager") required having ANY diploma because stupid companies are stupid.
Seriously, if you're not interested in the field you're studying and your approach to job is "it'll get boring anyway" you should've picked trade school, period.
>>
>>507319
>the majority of people I've worked with have enjoyed their job,
>I've worked with
>implying your subjective experience is evidence for shit
this board is fucking horrible
>>
>>507335
>disregards objective, scientific data for no reason
>hurr durr anecdotal evidence is shite
>>
File: 8d0.jpg (21 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
8d0.jpg
21 KB, 500x500
> OP receives answers to his question
> shuts down every explanation with "lel have fun at McDoobly's XD"
>>
>>507295
it sucks for them, because there are already so many people on it

I'm happy knowing my math
>>
File: md.jpg (279 KB, 799x833) Image search: [Google]
md.jpg
279 KB, 799x833
>>507343
>objective, scientific data
welcome to /his/ - History and Humanities
>>
>>507363
Do you have any evidence proving that the figures are not objective or scientific?
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.