[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Humanities course?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: notice_me_praetor.gif (790 KB, 245x169) Image search: [Google]
notice_me_praetor.gif
790 KB, 245x169
Computer science or history with political science in college, /his/?
Which meme should I fall for, bearing in mind I have a great interest in all of the subjects listed. I'm in ireland btw so my universities aren't too fucked to by lefties yet.
How many of you have had success with jobs post Humanities?
>>
>>501600
>How many of you have had success with jobs post Humanities?
Just do STEM long enough to retire as a NEET and live on your savings and royalties from your patents so you can devote the rest of your life to studying humanities and talking about it on 4chan.
>>
>>501894
I like your style mate
>>
I'd major in CS and minor in history with some poli on the side

the computer meme will get you a job, the history meme gives you the facts, and the poli is just kind of entertaining but not often practical or useful
>>
>>501600
whatever you get the better grades at...in many cases major doesn't matter as much as grades.
>>
>>503450
what cases are you talking about there
>>
>>501600
I majored in STEM (pure math) with a minor in Swahili and African Studies. I ended up not using the math but doing logistical work for humanitarian organizations.

Basically, I'd recommend looking what jobs you want and trying to figure out how best to get into those jobs, rather than thinking about what you're studying.

>>501894
I kek'd
>>
>>503456
The only case I can think of is if you want to go to grad school before getting a job.
>>
>>501600
I'm >>501894 and I'm more or less sober now, so here's my serious answer.
Remember that college, and undergraduate studies in particular, is for the most part just glorified trade school now. The concept of the "collective of masters and scholars" of all the world's collected knowledge is mostly dead and only peripheral where it has survived. You're getting an undergraduate degree primarily so you can get a decently-paying job. If you want to actually learn about shit do it independently or do graduate studies after you can support yourself financially. If you have the money by all means double major or minor in history or political science or whatever, but unless you have a specific career path you want to follow that a humanities degree would help towards you should focus on trying to get a degree that will help you find a job that you can find satisfying. If you find nothing in life satisfying but poring over piles of dusty primary sources in a university library, then so be it, but most people aren't so single-minded, and if you're genuinely interested enough in the humanities to want to study them for out of simple love I'm sure you're smart enough to make it in computer science.

That said, being a NEET is pretty great if you have enough money to not feel terrible about being a leech. I highly recommend it.
>>
File: tfw humanities major.jpg (232 KB, 834x1285) Image search: [Google]
tfw humanities major.jpg
232 KB, 834x1285
>>501600
>>
CS is a hugely inflated field, you will find zero demand for your skills upon graduation.

At least with a history major you learn to how research, analyze data, and represent complex casual patterns in an understandable way. This has carryover in all kinds of career paths. Git gud with your writing and you will make yourself an invaluable asset.
>>
>>503446
>>503459
>>504925
just so youse cunts know the major/minor system doesn't really work the same way in Ireland or Europe in general I think.
>>
>>504986
Really? How does it work then? I'd assume there's some equivalent system of specialization with options to study other stuff too, to get a "degree in X, but also some knowledge in Y and Z." Or is it something completely different?
>>
>>505006

>I'd assume there's some equivalent system of specialization with options to study other stuff too

Nope. You do a computer science degree to study computer science and get a degree in computer science.

It does kinda suck that you have to decide on your subject of choice when you're 17, so I can see the merits of the American system in that sense. That said, I've experienced first-hand the American way of teaching the humanities at a supposedly reputable university stateside and I thought it was abysmal
>>
>>505006
You just get a degree in X with nothing else, at least in degree designed to getting you one specific job like Engineering.
>>
>>501600
Study what you are interested in: higher education is about the process of learning how to learn. You're far more likely to figure that out if you're doing something you want to do.
>>
>>505993
This is the biggest meme ever.

You'll sure be glad that you "studied what you liked" when all the job apps basically exclude you and your resume gets canned over and over again while you're paying off your loans by being a sandwich artist.

OP, as you are unsure about what you want to be, you're going to fall into this trap, guaranteed. Sure, you can make any degree work, but that requires that you have plenty of experience in the industry that you want to go in and make plenty of connections BEFORE you graduate. Honestly, its like that with any degree nowadays, but especially for humanities.

It's no longer enough to have that piece of paper, you need way more stuff than that to make it today. I would say at least 2 internships and network like a fuckton. Force yourself to be friends with people you hate if they can land you a job.
>>
>>506020
>You'll sure be glad that you "studied what you liked"
If you are good at what you do, it is recognized. Granted this is more difficult if one studies a very popular subject, like English, since the pool is that much larger.

You sound like some butthurt techno-vocational school dope; or, god forbid, one of those b-school faggots.

If you want to learn how to make money, that's one thing. If you want to get an education, that is entirely another thing
>>
>>506020
It helps that I never studied because of job prospects as I don't rely on that shit.
>>
>>506054
>If you are good at what you do, it is recognized.

That's an entire different thing than "study what you like".

Being good at what you do requires that you're an exceptional student and be fully committed to your degree, which OP isn't. Faculty isn't necessarily impressed anymore with perfect grades either due to grade inflation. In any case, "being recognized" falls under the umbrella of networking.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.