[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did the cult of Rastafarianism actually start? How did the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4
File: haile-selassie2[1].jpg (55 KB, 400x495) Image search: [Google]
haile-selassie2[1].jpg
55 KB, 400x495
How did the cult of Rastafarianism actually start? How did the ball get rolling for this meme?
>>
The very basics was, Ra-stafari inherited the throne of ethopia or some shit was the only nation not to be colonized, first christian nation and a good leader. So they saw him as a kind of second coming, someone who was gonna bring all africans back to africa. The people who believed it were called rastafarians. I'm more interested in the guy due to ww2 politics but thats a starting point.
>>
>>500286

Weed.

A fucking LOT of weed.
>>
>dude weed lmao: the religion

It involved the worship of then Ethiopian king, but devolved into mindless bullshit once it spread to Caribbean and US blacks (just look at Snoop Dog).
>>
>>500314
Most black Americans look at Snoop as a farce, go to 125th boy
>>500286
Selassie's coronation came around the same time anti-colonialism was coming about strongly, Marcus Garvey though coming around earlier was a major source of "fuel" in pan-africanism and spoke of a time in which independence, free of colonial hands would bring prosperity and hope to Africa and her diaspora.

There was always a strong two way communication between Africa and the America's, I think people underestimate our ability to travel and exchange ideas or iconography but in essence the Emperor was perceived as this sort of Messiah of Africa's future.

The emperor supported a notion of pan-africanism after seeing the Western World turn a blind eye towards Italian aggression and while certainly against his literal worship he supported the creation of Ethiopian orthodox churches in Jamaica and elsewhere. Plus he gave them Shashamane before the Derg took most of it.

I'm not for the worship of Selassie but find Rastafari to be a really beautiful faith, funny enough my community uses Rasta iconography today so it's kinda come full circle.
>>
>>500286
This guy Marcus Garvey founded a Black Zionist movement to repatriate west indian and american blacks to Africa. He even bought some ships but got involved in shady deals. The he made a "prophecy" about a black monarch to be crowned in Africa, and a few years later Haile Selassie was made emperor.
>>
>>500286
Selassie met the rastas when he visited Jamaica and was astonished to be considered a God, so he sent for an ethiopian bishop to educate them in christian ways. Bob Marley converted to ethiopian church before he died.
>>
Whatever the reasons, the whole thing is just hilariously absurd.
>>
Some stoned new world negroes discovered that THEY BE KANGZ on the other side of the planet and found it so surreal they began worshipping the guy as a deity.
>>
>>500517
Every religion whose founder can be without a doubt proven to exist is absurd.

Baha'i is "like...it's Islam...but not...#woaaaaah", Rastafarianism is "HOL UP U BE SAYIN GAWD WANTS US TO LIGHT UP", Joseph Smith's criminal records are publicly viewable, and Hubbard openly bragged about creating a cult.
>>
>>500429
>Marcus Garvey though coming around earlier was a major source of "fuel" in pan-africanism and spoke of a time in which independence, free of colonial hands would bring prosperity and hope to Africa and her diaspora.
Am I the only one who thinks pan-Africanism and most forms of African nationalism were bad ideas? I don't mean in terms of national identity or inequality, I mean in terms of ceasing to cooperate with the countries that still control all their resources today and being forced to open up to new colonizers when those relationships break down. It just seems like most of French Africa would be better off French in this century. I've only started doing positive research into transitional African history, so correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>500565
As an African I don't feel we should actively seek non-African support but realize through the work of colonialism and European market manipulation the near impossibility of erasing Europe's presence from the continent.
>>
>>500663
It's like Canada in reverse.
>>
>>500663
Pretty much what I meant.
>>
>>500565
>It just seems like most of French Africa would be better off French in this century.

But French Africa is still under France's influence and they do a pretty banged up job at it.
To use a dating analogy they only wants to bump uglies when it wants to and honestly doesn't does not give a fuck about you or it's side women even if you die because he'll just hook up with someone else at the drop of a hat.
They have no problem doing pretty heinous things to get/do what they want and sometimes you jsut need to go solo and leave the relationship game.
>>
>>500715
Eh. I find African nations aligning by colonial masters to be disgusting but then again I'm Ethiopian.
>>
>>500727
>>500740
It's disgusting but it's kind of unavoidable at this point. Influence and outright control aren't the same thing; African societies have changed significantly since France stopped directly administering French Africa. A lot of early independence movements in the postwar era seem to have jumped the gun a bit IMO, just because they were more reliant on European economic infrastructure than the independence-crazed populations may have understood. Like you say, French Africa is still under French control today, and the West obviously has influence around the continent. My point is that economic independence may have been reached more quickly by not severing ties with Europe. But like I said I've only just started reading about this stuff.
>>
>>500770
>My point is that economic independence may have been reached more quickly by not severing ties with Europe
My point is that economic independence may have been reached more quickly by not severing ties with Europe so quickly.*
>>
>>500740
Rwanda is switching to the English language as it's language of business because let's face it French is pretty irrelevant in most of the world which is annoying France since the UK just sent a ton of dictionaries to Rwanda just recently which Rwanda asked for anyways.
>>
>>500774
The ties weren't even severed.
French Africa still did shit with France and Portugla still owned it's African holdings.

Belgium was fooling around in Congo and it's companies that led to Congo to getting fucked up when those companies and 600 Belgian Troops supported the Katanga split.
>>
>>500774
>>500770
True economic Independence hasn't happened
>>500814 bingo, also my political husbando while leaving post has done much for Katanga :3
>>
>>500814
I'm talking about administration.
>Like you say, French Africa is still under French control today, and the West obviously has influence around the continent.
Nominal independence is not necessarily a good thing.
>>
>>500533
>bashing on Joseph Smith
Most of thr LDS see him not as the founder but inspired, it REALLY was Brigham Young who got the ball rolling family
>>
>>500862
and France found out that "Hey I can still do the shit I've always done and not have to waste money on a population I give NO FUCKS ABOUT. All I have to do is own the politicians and I own the nation and stil lget resources with no need to tend to the popualtion."

Most the politicians in many countries especially French Africa were French educated and many were groomed for it. A fuck ton of conflicts were foreign powers trying to get a leader that pandered to them.
>>
Do Rastafarians see Italy as the devil because of what happened before ww2?
>>
File: mgid-uma-video-mtv.jpg (39 KB, 657x370) Image search: [Google]
mgid-uma-video-mtv.jpg
39 KB, 657x370
>>500286

FI BABYLON AND DE BALDHEADS BRINGING NONSENSE TO MI DOOR WITH THEIR ISMS AND DE BAGGA MOUT WAYS.

GWAN FROM HEAH YA BUNCHA LIADS AND BAMBACLOT DUPPYDEM
>>
>>500314

it started inna caribbean battybwoy, inna jahs own country jamaica, de land of wood and wata, guh wey baldhead
>>
>>500429

MARCUS MOSIAH SPEAKS
>>
>>501091

italy ah babylon, babylon ah gwaan
>>
>>501122

>italy ah babylon

peace mon, they ah not so bad

see: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/rastas-can-use-cannabis-italian-court-rules-865829.html
>>
>>501106

DE ROCK WILL PREVAIL BREDDA
>>
>>501122
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnFlBmtdj9o
>>
>>501158
>>501139
>>501126
>>501122
>>501109
>>501106
>>501098
Why can't we have a single thread about black people without trolls.
>>
>>500533
How is that shit any less absurd than transubstantiation or hungry ghosts or dedicating your life to an illiterate pedophile?
>>
>>501229
I PUT FAYA TO THE ERB EVERY DAY MON, OVERSTAND?
>>
>>501253
Your patois is fucking terrible
>>
>>500286
>Looks like an Arab with afro-textured hair

I actually thought he was a dark skinned guy after growing up listening to reggae with Jamaican parents until I asked them what he looked like. He looked more biracial than Bob Marley.
>>
>>501553
We aren't Arabs and he is half Oromo on both sides. He was old and spent all day indoors, you could clearly see in his younger days how Oromo he looked.
>>
>>500296
>someone who was gonna bring all africans back to africa

If only...
>>
>>502407

It's why Liberia exists. Maybe they can use their vast, tax free merchant to ship their brethren home.

In reality, upper and middle class blacks in the US and Europe have zero incentive to move to a shithole where you can't even get a decent mochacino and working class blacks who would be inclined to move have zero skills, zero capital and would basically end up in a shantytown when they realise there are no opportunities for employment and even if they got a job they would be on a tiny fraction of their minimum wage retail job back home.
>>
>>502451
>zero capital
If they're not actual wageslaves just barely scraping by, the trust fund you had in USA will set you for life in Africa.
>>
>>501553
Ethiopians are around 50% semitic. They're not bantus.
>>
>>502488

The sorts of people who have trust funds are sorts of people who enjoy the amenities of the developed world, anon.

Trust funds are a thing of the (mostly upper) middle classes and up.

In any event, even were a whole bunch of wealthy blacks to relocate to Liberia and start up a bunch of businesses, I can foresee the following happening

* Like good capitalists, they will pay as little as they can get away with.
* As a reasonably powerful bloc, they will either be courted by or attacked by established power networks and vested interests
* If they survive a move to expropriate their shit and deport them, they will become a powerful lobby themselves.
* They will probably use their power to hamper the development of workers rights, minimum wages, union organisation or anything which eats into the profitability of their businesses
* This will breed a lot of resentment and increase instability.
* This instability will also be fuelled by a surge in immigration to the towns and cities from the countryside and neighbouring countries, creating huge shanty towns.
* Shit will probably assplode
>>
File: journal.pgen.1004393.g002.png (1015 KB, 1159x1600) Image search: [Google]
journal.pgen.1004393.g002.png
1015 KB, 1159x1600
>>502516
No we aren't
>>
>>502559
Yes you are, my semitic friend. How does it feel to be (almost) caucasian?
>>
>>500286
The Royal Parchment Scroll of Black Supremacy
By Fitz Balintine Pettersburg

1926 +-

Marcus Garvey

They consider themselves to be Egyptians.

Terrible false prophets.
>>
>>500286
I dunno, OP - but what Nick Cage movie is your pic from?
>>
File: halfAndHalf.jpg (74 KB, 770x464) Image search: [Google]
halfAndHalf.jpg
74 KB, 770x464
>>502559
Half Ethiopian Half Swiss
>>
>>502574
Nope.

>"The fact that the Ethiopians and Somalis have a subset of the sub-Saharan African haplotype diversity and that the non- African populations have a subset of the diversity present in Ethiopians and Somalis makes simple-admixture models less likely; rather, these observations support the hypothesis proposed by other nuclear-genetic studies.. that populations in northeastern Africa may have diverged from those in the rest of sub-Saharan Africa early in the history of modern African populations and that a subset of this northeastern-African population migrated out of Africa and populated the rest of the globe.”
>(-- Tishkoff 2000, ‘Short Tandem-Repeat Polymorphism..’)
>>
>>502599
2000? That is incredibly out of date in Genetics.
>>
>>502597
Looks Habesha as fuck still
>>
>>502599
>Tishkoff 2000
lmao why don't you read modern studies which were published AFTER the genome was decoded, not before.

It's funny how you deny not being black. You're not one of those obnoxious pan-africanists, are you?
>>
>>502602
Tiskoff still states this and is the world's foremost expert on African Genetics>>
>>
>>502615
Do you want something that is fresh? Something from late 2015.

Also you are a mod here, right?
>>
>>502625
>Also you are a mod here, right?
You cannot be serious.

An ethiopian race denier is a mod??
>>
>>502631
A couple of them wear that trip called 'Raziocinate' and claim Egypt was Black, and that Ethiopia is also Black without Eurasian admixture.

I think they should die.
>>
>>502656
Raziocinante is a single guy, a mentally ill Franco-Italian.

It's been a long time since I've seen him.
>>
>>502668
No, he was more than one person, as one day I decided to stay awake 24 hours and continually bait him, he responded in force throughout that time.

Also I noticed he posted in 5 threads simultaneously across boards.
>>
>>502673
Like I said, he's mentally ill.

He's dedicated though, gotta give him that.
>>
>>502516
>implying bantus are the only black people in Africa

They aren't even the most common anymore.
>>
>>502516
I thought they were 40%. At least, the Habesha are anyway. Some of the Oromo look more East African.
>>
>>500314
>(just look at Snoop Dog).

Did you see his documentary when he calls himself "Snoop Lion" and goes to Jamaica? The Jamaicans are confused, slightly amused and sometimes angry and he was never considered a true Rastafarian.
>>
>>502625
If you mean that Mota study they use a recent admixture model and do things like compare Mota to Beaker which has nothing to do with Ethiopian migration history. It's not even taking into account the likelihood that Mota wasn't part of the Herding cultures that were around thousands of years before and likely is Watta.

People on 4chan talk about the study without knowing about the study.
>>502631
Who is denying the existence of race, I'm clearly discussing the many races of Africa.
>>502656
You're an idiot if you think we're multiple people, much less believe in the same things. Just because we aren't echo chambers or hugboxes doesn't make us the same.
>>502913
He's a retard
>>502988
It's much less and that is a language not a coherent Genetic language. The Arab ancestry isn't from Palestinian like people it's from native Arabian Felix groups like Mehri and is drift related.
>>
>>502529
Admittedly though, if you could save up a few thousand dollars (not ridiculous even on minimum wage salary), a relatively shrewd individual could set up a good life for themselves in Africa.
>>
>>502529
You clearly don't know about black American communities in contemporary Africa.
>>
>>502529
Black Americans actually do well in Africa.
>>
>>502516
Semitc and Bantu are language groups faggot.
>>
>>501229

That's how it starts...
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.