[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If war-chanting, religious hymnals and spiritual praises, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1.jpg (86 KB, 1300x1104) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
86 KB, 1300x1104
If war-chanting, religious hymnals and spiritual praises, and love songs...can have an effect on one's conscious or actions...why is it so hard to believe that hip-hop, gangster rap, rock music, and other forms of violent music, can drive a culture to commit crime? For example: the high crime rate of urban, black Detroit

In the same vein....if books, theaters, and philosophy can impact someone's conscious, why is it so hard to believe that violent video games or glorified action movies can negatively effect a player's or watchers apathy? For example, the Columbine shooters played DOOM almost religiously.

Discuss.
>>
>>498859
Iirc fps such as call of duty fall into catharsis, relieving your feelings of anger and rage in a harmless environment and make you feel better about yourself, much like Greek tragedies.
Rap was a political voice for young impoverished blacks when it began, and as their lives involved encounters with crime it was naturally a part of the subject matter.
>>
>>498859
AIN'T NOTHIN TO IT
>>
The rest is empty with no brain but the clever nerd
The best emcee with no chain ya ever heard
>>
>>498859
Your on to something. Used to listen to screamo and was a total fag in hs.

/djent/ is man metal
>>
At most music can temporarly put on in a certain emotional state.

This is the equivalent of saying that we should ban sad opera music because it will lead to suicide or that we should all be required to listen to hippy music to promote world peace.
>>
>>498859
>music is the sole reason for crime.

I'd laugh but you'd say that was because I was listening to funny music.
>>
Music, as in individual songs, nah, but taken together as a musical climate, definitely.
>>
To me fps is more about winning than killing.
>>
>>499258
you don't think shit like chief keef fuels gang violence? lmao.

notice I said fuels, it doesn't create those feelings of rage and despair, it just glamorizes them
>>
>>498859
No.Videogames makes kids lonely spergs.
t. Me
>>
those things aren't passive listening though -- you actively have to chant, sing the hymnal, etc. the closest you got was the comparison to video games. i think it's odd that people praise immersion and realism in video games but also claim that the human brain can tell "it's just a game bro" and suddenly switch out of it when not playing
>>
>>499237
>djent is hipster metrosexual metal
Ftfy
now listen to Rigor Mortis or some Massacra or Darkthrone and maybe youll finally feel testosterone flowing through you for once
>>
>>498859

They probably do have an effect, would be strange if they didn't. I wouldn't overstate how big it is though, or how important it is compared to other factors.

I think you are reacting to defensive gamer overreactions to the video game hysteria here. But the video game hysteria really was stupid and irrational. It made a mountain out of a molehill. One need not have denied that a molehill was present though, but a lot of defensive gamers did and do.
>>
>>498859
Because they are born after Capitalism and Communism, where no true art can thrive, since it's not culture, but sociology. Enjoy.
>>
>>501823
If there isn't 4 different rhythms going on at the same time, idk if it's for me
>>
>>501937
This is the dumbest thing I've read all day. "Not culture but sociology". What the fuck do that even mean.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.