[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could any part of European history after the fall of the Roman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9
Could any part of European history after the fall of the Roman Empire and before the First World War be made into an epic even half as interesting as the Romance of the Three Kingdoms ?

Even stuff like the thirty and hundred years wars seem a bit tame in comparison.
>>
I prefer more familiar European territory. Thirty Years War and Revolutionary/Napoleonic Wars would be enough for me. And some smaller stories too.
>>
>>496484
>Napoleonic Wars

This, OP.
>>
>>496484
But from late medieval till early modern era is filled with big wars and plots.
>>
File: 1416119749211.jpg (661 KB, 2966x1557) Image search: [Google]
1416119749211.jpg
661 KB, 2966x1557
I've often thought about writing, rather try to write, a western version to the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, a massive historical fiction tale spanning from the unification of Germany to the end of World War 2.

It's something way beyond me, but damned if I haven't thought about it a lot.
>>
File: 1383101236824.jpg (22 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1383101236824.jpg
22 KB, 250x250
>>496498
>>496510
>The French and American Revolution backgrounds
>Leads into the rise of Napoleon and the wars that follow
>Actually has a "romantic" ending for the era, and arguably a tragic one

Please God Yes
>>
>>496512
But none at the scale of rotk.

Europe was in a state of almost constant conflict but no particular self sustained conflict was ever really that big and interesting.

>>496510
Maybe, but I feel that this lacks a proper antagonist throughout. It's basically just Napoleon besting everyone before eventually getting beaten through sheer numbers.

In rotk there are many meritorious generals and statesmen facing off against each other and that's what makes it fun, Napoleon had nobody even come close to his level.
>>
>>496484
If it's going to include flying swordsmen with stupid sex innuendo I'll pass. I haven't seen slightly realistic view of China in movies actually, and I probably won't because both Chinese and worldwide movie industry has an agenda of portraying Chinese history as they want.

Wait, it wasn't about movies at all, but whatever.
>>
>>496536
> a proper antagonist throughout

What
>>
>>496535
It would be great as a miniseries. Like that silent film it would start with a snowball fight commanded by young Napoleon (unless something's changed and now we know the story is false) then we'd get in media res of revolutionary wars. In order to work the show would need several points of view. Not just French but also Prussian, German, Austrian, Russian, British, Spanish, Polish and lots of other characters that would enter and re-enter the story. There would be sand (Egypt) there would be snow (Russia) there would be naval battles and lots of main characters would die before the whole thing would be over like Nelson or Kutuzov. First rate drama.
>>
>>496484
>stuff like the thirty and hundred years wars seem a bit tame in comparison
How so? If there was a good enough writer in those times I am sure they could have turned it into a cool story.

The "evil foreigners versus good native" is a bit of a creativity destroying trope. Gunpowder warfare is more impersonal. It is hard to imagine a Cao Cao style moral/philosophical debate being very interesting between rigid europeans. Though someone imaginative enough would be able to find new interesting things to add to it.
>>
>>496541
What I mean is that basically the whole thing would be a Napoleon one man show in the grand scheme because he was by far the single most memorable figure of the period whereas rotk is equally about Wei as it is about Shu and Wu.
>>
File: 1401603353134.png (34 KB, 223x223) Image search: [Google]
1401603353134.png
34 KB, 223x223
>>496562
And that's why I said what, have you forgotten George the third?

The motherfucker ruled during the American and French revolutions, the entirety of the Napoleonic wars, and the first decade of Pax Britannica.

Mother fucker is THE antagonist against Democracy and the Enlightenment, and Napoleon is of course the man of the Enlightenment
>>
File: 1326950926478.jpg (355 KB, 1194x1080) Image search: [Google]
1326950926478.jpg
355 KB, 1194x1080
>>496562
>Wu
>anywhere near as relevant as Shu and Wei
>>
>>496553
Ever heard of War and Peace?
>>
>>496568
George III was ok and he was already dying during the Napoleonic Wars.
>>
>>496536
>Maybe, but I feel that this lacks a proper antagonist throughout
Wellington. The Peninsular War is a toppest tier setting.
After all unless you're a novelfag it's not like the three kingdoms period had clear antagonists either.
>>
>>496572
Dude Wu was stronger than Shu throughout like 2/3 of the time period. Shu a shit.
>>
>>496572
Wu actually had full control of much of the South.

Shu meanwhile was pretty much just the modern province of Sichuan.
>>
File: 9B4SK38I00B50003.jpg (552 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
9B4SK38I00B50003.jpg
552 KB, 2000x1333
>>496537
>I haven't seen slightly realistic view of China in movies actually

Because you've never watched any Chinese films except Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and think WOW THAT MUST BE A REAL CHINESE HISTORY FILM when everyone fucking knows Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was based on a Chinese wuxia fictional manhua.
>>
Not that anon
But do you have any recommendations for historical Chinese media? Wuxias great but limited
>>
>>496484
The only reason why ROTK is so interesting is because Luo Guanzhong made it fucking interesting when he wrote the book, and you also have companies making tons of video games and comics based upon it, making the subject seem even more intriguing than it actually was in history. If GRR Martin were tasked with writing a series of epic novels on whatever fucking period in European history, you can bet your ass that it would be amazing.
>>
>>496536
>but I feel that this lacks a proper antagonist throughout
The Eternal Anglo was literally the antagonist through that time period.
>>
>>498991
ASOIAF a shit lad

>>496484
Read War and Peace or something
>>
>>496691
The Three Kingdoms is the best ever, with an unusually high budget, and a marvelous actor for Cao Cao.

Do understand that it is an adaptation of a classic historical fiction novel, one of the four great classics of Chinese literature, which is not itself too historically accurate, primarily because of a bias towards the kingdom of Shu.

With that in mind, it's a damn fine work. In fact Cao Cao is less of a cartoonish villain than it usually is in such adaptations.
>>
>>496484
Yes. This is a stupid question. But you are probably Chinese, so youre biased
>>
>>496691
The Last Supper is pretty historically accurate materialwise (save for the appearance of a big-fucking two-hander Dao and extensive horse armor)

It's about the first Han Emperor, Liu Bang reminiscing his life choices during the Chu-Han Contention, in which he betrayed his best friend, Xiang Yu.
>>
>>496484

only reason anyone cares about that shit is because of jap otaku
>>
>>498991
ASOIAF was, at least initially, inspired by the War of the Roses, among others.
>>
>>499055
For Westerniggers probably.

ROTK is basically Asian Iliad. A lot of the stories there influenced plotlines and idioms in East Asian fiction and language.
>>
>>496484
>Could any part of European history after the fall of the Roman Empire and before the First World War be made into an epic even half as interesting as the Romance of the Three Kingdoms ?
Here's your movie or novel material:

Crusades and Jihad.

Genghis Khan going from Mongolia to Rome.

The life and times of Isabella I of Castille.

Since we're talking about ROTK which is not too historical, can I play the King Arthur card?
>>
>>499114
There's plenty of works about King Arthur.
>>
>>499123
That is my point. His tales are sort of "our" ROTK.
>>
>>499123
The Basis of modern Britits King Arthur is Malory's "The Death of Arthur."
>>
>>499128
Historical counts of that is very dubious at best and outright fabrication in reality.

So it can't really be compared to a rotk. I'd say the Romans vs their neighbors like Catharge would be pretty good equivalent.
>>
Lusiadas
>>
>tfw America has no national epic
Washington during the Revolution, maybe? Building of the east-west railroads? Teddy Roosevelt?
>>
>>499025
Shut the fuck up you loser. No one is impressed by you, so stop trying to act like an elitist you friendless mongoloid.
>>
File: Civil-War-Foote-3-vol.jpg (116 KB, 1024x688) Image search: [Google]
Civil-War-Foote-3-vol.jpg
116 KB, 1024x688
>>499160
>>
File: L.N.Tolstoy_Prokudin-Gorsky.jpg (98 KB, 353x500) Image search: [Google]
L.N.Tolstoy_Prokudin-Gorsky.jpg
98 KB, 353x500
>>496535
>>496510
Too bad nobody ever wrote any epic literature set during that time.
>>
>>499055
What? Who is "anyone?" 4chan or the world?
>>
>>496572

>Shu Han fucking shits stealing all of Wu's thunder

CHIBI WAS THE WORK OF ZHOU YU
SUN JIAN WAS THE ONE WHO KILLED HUA XIONG
LU MENG HARDCARRIED THE ENTIRE WAR EFFORT AGAINST WEI

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

For real though, as a Weifag I think it's disgusting how much of Wu's accomplishments were instead attributed to Shu. Everyone thinks Wu was the literally-who faction of the era when Liu Bei was a petty bandit up in the mountains.
>>
>>496642
Finally, a modern depiction of pikes in use by Chinese. Was that so fucking difficult, you Chinaman/Chinkaboo pseudohistorian?
>>
The Persian Wars, the Peloponneseian War.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUrkewy6bkU
>>
>>496484
The battles in Rotk are mostly exaggerated in number of troops to make them looks epic, example Cao cao army is only 200k at most and Lou GuanZhong makes it somewhat 800k.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.