[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Asks hundreds of questions that nobody can figure out the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
>Asks hundreds of questions that nobody can figure out the answers to because they rely on unproven but useful assumptions
>Convinces himself that only he is smart because he knows that his questions can't be answered

Is there any more overrated philosopher?
>>
File: AREIZOO.gif (33 KB, 296x289) Image search: [Google]
AREIZOO.gif
33 KB, 296x289
>>495975

NOT QUESTIONING ONE'S "UNPROVEN BUT USEFUL ASSUMPTIONS" —A PRIORI ABSTRACT NOTIONS— IS THE PRIME FACTOR IN THE PRECLUSION OF REALIZING TRUTH.

A NOBLE PERSON WOULD RATHER CERTAINLY KNOW NOTHING THAN CERTAINLY KNOW SOMETHING UNCERTAIN.
>>
>>495993
>Implying philosophers ever get close to truth
>Implying they don't just prove that they know less that the fools who understand basic facts.
>>
>>496002

YOU DO NOT EVEN KNOW WHAT TRUTH, AND PHILOSOPHY, ARE, NOR IN WHAT THEY CONSIST.
>>
>>496020
>implying writing a 500 page book on why morality is dead and we all might just be brains in jars provides any value to society at all
>>
>>496023

YOU ARE ONLY FURTHER CONFIRMING WHAT I STATED IN MY PREVIOUS POST.

YOUR THREAD WILL NOW SINK THROUGH THE PAGES, AND BECOME "ARCHIVED".
>>
File: Rippetoe is shame.jpg (17 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Rippetoe is shame.jpg
17 KB, 400x400
>>495975
>first philosopher to popularize the idea of the soul and how actions affect it
>father of western philosophy
>"h-he's just a troll guise, Nietzsche is b-better!"
>>
>>496062
WE
WUZ
THE
INVENTORS
OF
THE
SOUL
>>
Read this before talking shit OP:

'My art of midwifery is in general like theirs [real midwives]; the only difference is that my patients are men, not women, and my concern is not with the body but with the soul that is in travail of birth. And the highest point of my art is the power to prove by every test whether the offspring of a young man's thought is a false phantom or instinct with life and truth. I am so far like the midwife that I cannot myself give birth to wisdom, and the common reproach is true, that, though I question others, I can myself bring nothing to light because there is no wisdom in me. The reason is this. Heaven (Jowett: "the god") constrains me to serve as a midwife, but has debarred me from giving birth. So of myself I have no sort of wisdom, nor has any discovery ever been born to me as the child of my soul. Those who frequent my company at first appear, some of them, quite unintelligent, but, as we go further with our discussions, all who are favored by heaven make progress at a rate that seems surprising to others as well as to themselves, although it is clear that they have never learned anything from me. The many admirable truths they bring to birth have been discovered by themselves from within. But the delivery is heaven's work and mine.' - Socrates, Plato's Theaetetus
>>
File: 1448510607058.jpg (48 KB, 678x391) Image search: [Google]
1448510607058.jpg
48 KB, 678x391
>>496023
>implying value to society is actually important
>>
>>496376
>Implying society should feed useless eaters
>>
>>496462
>>496376
90% of people in any given place are utterly useless if we go with the utalitarian horseshit.
>>
Socrates didn't even exist.
>>
>>496938
Citation needed
>>
>>496503
We would be better off if we culled the bottom 10%
>>
>>499917
More like the top 10%.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.