[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What could you tell me about Celt society? Why were they so warlike?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 14
File: celts5.jpg (58 KB, 600x376) Image search: [Google]
celts5.jpg
58 KB, 600x376
What could you tell me about Celt society? Why were they so warlike? Was it a part of their religion? A necessity?
>>
>>494661

I don't know much about the period or the people, but I was under the impressions the Celts weren't particularly warlike. I mean, sure, they raided, but so did everyone. They were pretty average in terms of aggressiveness, or so I thought.
>>
My ancestors speak to me, they are saying that it was pretty gay for such a warlike nation to be rekt by Norse.
>>
>>494661
>Why were they so warlike?

Pretty much every bronze/iron age tribal civilization thingy was like that. What's life worth if you can't annually raid your neighbors?

I heard the medieval Welsh still had laws telling them to wage war at least once a year, though this could also just have been some bullshit.
>>
>>494731
When? Vikings were driven away from Ireland.
>>
>>494775
No they weren't.
>>
>>494781
explain Battle of Clontarf
>>
File: 1449374371467.png (113 KB, 695x820) Image search: [Google]
1449374371467.png
113 KB, 695x820
>>494731
Behold, it is I, Ragnar Anonson, your ancestor. We speak to you too command you stop false-flagging to make people who don't dislike the Norse look gay.
>>
>>494806
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Clontarf
>>
>>494824
>decessive Irish victory

wow vikings sure showed them
>>
>>494661
>Why were they so warlike?
Give me one ancient peoples that were not warlike, in fact give me one peoples of anytime that could not even loosely be defined as warlike.
>>
>>495316
Some pygmies.
>>
>>495316
Amish.
>>
>>494806
The Battle of Clontarf was fought between the King of Connacht and the King of Leinster.

It has as much to do with driving out the Vikings as the American Civil War was about driving out the Germans.
>>
>>494824
>Viking power in Ireland broken
It says right there.

That said, it wasn't the reason for the battle.
>>
>>494726
Given that a great many Celtic peoples were infamously violent and warlike, and were well regarded as mercenaries from the Bronze Age to the medieval period, your impressions are mistaken.
>>
>>495496
That doesn't mean "driven away"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norse%E2%80%93Gaels
>>
File: tumblr_n3zcsjjUVI1rb1rgoo3_1280.jpg (170 KB, 500x911) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n3zcsjjUVI1rb1rgoo3_1280.jpg
170 KB, 500x911
>>495533
Norse-Gaels were mostly on the Isle of Mann you buck eejit.

The Vikings in Ireland where driven out of everywhere apart from Waterford and Dublin. There wasn't a hint of their presence left anywhere.
>>
>>495538
No, no, and no.

Read the fucking Wikipedia article.
>>
>>495316
There's this tribe in the south pacific that basically have bonobo levels of sex, so them
>>
Very, very homosexual.
>>
File: cum guzzler.jpg (29 KB, 572x199) Image search: [Google]
cum guzzler.jpg
29 KB, 572x199
>>494812
It isn't hard to do desu.
>>
>>495316
The Maori basically exterminated, enslaved, and cannibalized this one polynesian tribe with no real concept of violence. Let alone ORGANIZED violence.
>>
>>494726
No, they were just shit compared to the Romans
>>
>>494661
They weren't that warlike. La tene cultures were actually quite similar to the romans in that they developed towns and some basic forms of civilization. It was the Germanic tribes that were extremely warlike. The romans were amazed that even their women fought against them
>>
>>495316
Indus valley
>>
>>494661
Because shitflinging on 4chan hadn't been invented yet.
>>
File: cuckold.jpg (41 KB, 505x438) Image search: [Google]
cuckold.jpg
41 KB, 505x438
Celts were cucks.

>matriarchal
>female promiscuity on steroids, women sleeping around with foreigners like crazy
>women leading armies (and getting rekt)
>men going celibate / gay
>one of the main deities is literally a man with antlers
>>
>>496320
>women leading armies (and getting rekt)
The only case of this happening was Boudicca.
>>
>>494661
everyone was warlike back then

they were the first iron-age civ in Europe so they had the advantage (they just lost it to the Romans0
>>
>>496320

You are afraid of women
Again.
>>
>>496458
Aren't you due for your Cernunnos swingers party, Celtcuck?
>>
>>496458
>tee hee you're insecure
>you're scared
where does this meme come from, can you explain it
>>
>why were they so warlike?

It depended on the tribe. Some were more than others. The Galatians famed mercenaries hired by numerous rulers in Anatolia and the Levant, and the Belgae had also built up a ferocious reputation, but there were many other more peaceful tribes. Having a culture that idolizes warriors doesn't necessarily make it warlike, especially when most other peoples were doing the same shit in the time period.

When people think of Celts they usually imagine some mustachioed shirtless warrior painted up in woad and being angry at something, whereas Romans are seen in a more positive light as a civilized and disciplined people who uphold the virtues of law and order. It was the Romans, however, who ended up invading and conquering much of the Celtic lands in the end. It's mostly a stereotype I think.
>>
>>496476

Its not a meme, but your life.

>>496470

Sorry, I dont speak retardian.
>>
>>496504
But you are a retard. You literally attacked the poster with an ad hominem for saying the Celts were matriarchal cucks, which they were.
>>
>>496513

Sorry, but you are confusing me with yourself.
>>
>>496477
most of those accounts was written by the Romans so
>>
>>496522
Take your hurt feefees somewhere else.
>>
>>494661
They had better metallurgy than the Romans.
Some tribes were matriarchies, sometimes mothers would masturbate their pubescent sons to prevent the population from growing unsustainably.
>>
>>496532

Still no retardian.
>>
>>494661
War is always prevalent in tribal societies. The divided nature makes it so.

But all out war is generally destructive, so warfare becomes ritualised skirmishes, duels, cattle raids, etc. It becomes highly ritualised and religious with perhaps, like in high Celtic culture, only the elite being allowed to fight.

Culture and religion don't create the society the environment creates the culture and religion and society.
>>
>>496320
>>matriarchal
no
>>female promiscuity on steroids, women sleeping around with foreigners like crazy
no
>>women leading armies (and getting rekt)
happened once and was frowned upon
>>men going celibate / gay
nothing wrong with going gay la
>>one of the main deities is literally a man with antlers
Wicca cosplayers =/= Celts.
>>
>>495508
And there were many non-Celt people's who were infamous, warlike, and exemplary mercenaries. What makes the Celts different from the Germans, Greeks, Thracians, Illyrians, or Numidians in that regard?
>>
>>496597
>sometimes mothers would masturbate their pubescent sons to prevent the population from growing unsustainably.
how the fuck would that accomplish anything?
>>
>>496977
Well it sure does work for Japan!
>>
>>496477

The thing is Celtic tribes conquered much of Europe before the Romans did, and even successfully sacked Rome itself in the 4th century BC. They were at least as warlike but the Romans were more united (there was never a single Celtic ruler controlling all clans), allowing the Romans to be more successful in creating an empire.
>>
>>496731
>>Tfw no one remember the Iberians.
>>
File: 2affc205387d.jpg (50 KB, 550x700) Image search: [Google]
2affc205387d.jpg
50 KB, 550x700
>>498798
They were so colorful and belligerant.
>>
>>498798

Well, you posted Celtiberians instead of Iberians.
>>
File: Kingdom_of_Osraige-900.png (634 KB, 2000x2607) Image search: [Google]
Kingdom_of_Osraige-900.png
634 KB, 2000x2607
>>495374
The Vikings were literally made vassals in Waterford.

Their King titled himself thus, "King of Waterford and the Isle of Man".

The Vikings settled in boggy areas so the natives could not attack them in open battle.

In Waterford, where they last the longest (as vassals), they set their camp on a tributary river close to where it joined the main river.

The area was surrounded in bog/swamp and was practically impossible to attack due to the terrain, which was a bog.

The vikings were able to settle there because the area was a terrible place to live.
Just to the North of the Vikings was the Kingdom of Osragie, they controlled the land to the North of the Vikings.

In the map the black dot below Osraige encompasses the Viking territory, 1/4 of that black dot was Osraige territory.
>>
File: Western Barbarians Celts (6).jpg (365 KB, 1500x1123) Image search: [Google]
Western Barbarians Celts (6).jpg
365 KB, 1500x1123
>>496477
Most Continental Celts have a tradition of Warriors leaving their tribes and finding work as mercenaries or conducting raids against Civilized Eurofaggots and bringing home the loot.

In a way they were like proto-vikings sans the boats.
>>
File: CobbledRoads.jpg (71 KB, 634x460) Image search: [Google]
CobbledRoads.jpg
71 KB, 634x460
>>498841
Fuck you, in Britain we built COBBLED roads before any Romans set foot here.

They were trying to build a Proto-Train using straight roads with grooves in them for carts.
>>
>>498887
...and continued to use the Chariot.
>>
>>495679
Didn't the celts in Gaul drown fags in a bog in the name of one of their gods?
>>
File: Veneti_coin_5th_1st_century_BCE.jpg (517 KB, 1920x973) Image search: [Google]
Veneti_coin_5th_1st_century_BCE.jpg
517 KB, 1920x973
>>498899
Yep, best way to travel.
>>
>>498802

>facial expression
>>
>>498912
Romans sacrificed their newborns.
>>
>>496731
Written accounts of things other than war.
>>
>>498913
I was talking about war chariots.

Which are very primitive ways to into cavalry.

Meanwhile Continental Celts were breeding warhorses.

Also Britcelts continued the ancient naked warriors that was largely abandoned by the Continental Celts.
>>
>>498899
THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH CHARIOTS!
>>
>>498834
>In the map the black dot below Osraige encompasses the Viking territory, 1/4 of that black dot was Osraige territory.
so viking territory was perfectly circular and they paid 25% of their taxes to the Kingdom of Osraige
>>
>>494661

the celts were a master race

inventor of soap
inventor of trouser
slavery was illegal (as opposed to much of the civilized world)

those three things alone make them eternally superior, whenever you wash your hands or pull up your trouser, whenever you dislike slavery... know that the celt has gifted you these things
>>
File: 89cc79668707.jpg (65 KB, 786x700) Image search: [Google]
89cc79668707.jpg
65 KB, 786x700
>>498806
This artist makes some pintoresque faces.
>>
>>496059

str8 outta sweden
>>
>>498921
To what god? Patriarchs of a Roman family could kill their children while they were dependents, but that was societal.

Carthage killed newborn their gods, I'd like to see your source on Romans doing the same.
>>
>>498946
I consider modern abortion sacrifice to the god of drunkenness and debauchery.

Because you don't officially a sacrifice to a deity, doesn't make it better.

See this
> http://news.discovery.com/history/archaeology/infanticide-roman-empire-110505.htm

The Romans probably seen this as a sacrifice but didn't celebrate it.
>>
>>498974
Ok? Yes I completely acknowledge that Romans had a huge infanticide rate, I wouldn't be surprised if Celtic tribes did too. I think the only ones who notably cared for their newborns most was the Egyptians and I'm sure they killed newborns too.

Now to the point, why'd you bring this up when I mentioned the Gauls practiced human sacrifice for religious purposes?
>>
>>496079
>live on an island thousands of miles away from the center of the known world
>call them shit like they had a choice

I mean, the Celtics weren't by any means as grand or as large as say the Egyptians or Persians, but at least they had some pretty good ideas for being so far away from everyone else
>>
>>494661
I'm interested in what sex was like in Celtic society. Was it like what I saw in Braveheart?
>>
>>499008
Romans caused infanticide because they bled the provinces dry, people were forced to murder their children, give them up to be slaves.

Roman was not civilization, it was death of civilization.
>>
>>499056
>saw in Braveheart?
Jewish propaganda.
>>
>>498899

chariots are cool, just because alexander appropriated their usefulness with his dicklanx

>>498841

the story about the Galatian celts that served the ptolemids as elite infantry would make for a fascinating documentary

Klereuchoi?
>>
>>499090
Klerouchoi simply means "Colonists." And refers to Greeks that immigrated into Asia/Egypt and settled there.

The name "Galatian" itself is already greek.
>>
>>499058
They also made druid human sacrifice illegal and enforced it.

The Celts weren't some enlightened tribe destined to bring civilization.
>>
File: genghis-khan.jpg (50 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
genghis-khan.jpg
50 KB, 850x400
>>499129
>>
>>499101

they were still gauls, applying a greek name does not make them non-existent. The ptolemid infantry elite were still made up of gauls and hellene colonials
>>
Roman and Greek accounts of peoples like the Germans before the Late Antiquity period, as well as the Svythians and Sarmatians show them as being more warlike as the Celts.

It's just no one in the modern day studies these peoples because there's less of a muh heritage factor.
>>
Prior to the Celts, widespread patterns of settlement in northern Europe didn't really exist. There was agriculture, but no mass clearances, and it wasn't as intensive, using longer term shifting cultivation. It's quite possible the majority of the population were hunter-gatherers by the time of Celtic expansion. The Iron Age seemed to trigger greater clearances (for charcoal production-- extremely important for producing iron of any quality, much less so for bronze) and prevalence of shifting cultivation, which perhaps eventually lead to a population boom and the advent of the opiddia, which were fortified military settlements the majority of the Gaulish population lived in and around. The Romans loved them because they made conquest easy compared to the Iron Age Germans, who had a relatively small population spread out over a gigantic area with no major population centers.
>>
>>495328
Not a distinct peoples.
>>495364
Religious affiliation not a distinct people group.
>>495625
>tribe
Not a distinct peoples
>>496068
It is not possible for someone to have zero concept of violence.
They were most likely unprepared and weak, no doubt in my mind they tried to resist.
>>496300
Lost a war, literally went to war, actually fought, they just lost.
>>
>>496079
See 'Battle of the Allia'
>>
>>496977
Because after you cum you have less desire to chase pussy.
Its simple.
>>
>>499659
>It is not possible for someone to have zero concept of violence.
They were most likely unprepared and weak, no doubt in my mind they tried to resist.

>Moriori are the indigenous people of the Chatham Islands, east of the New Zealand archipelago in the Pacific Ocean. These people lived by a code of non-violence and passive resistance (see Nunuku-whenua), which made it easier for Taranaki Māori invaders to nearly exterminate them in the 1830s.
>>
>>500134
They had a concept of violence but the population of the island was too small to support the usual tribal warfare that their ancestors practiced.

There had been fighting on the island but before the arrival of the Maori, violence had been outlawed by their paramount chief and all disputes were resolved by talk or a duel.

When the invaders arrived they decided on non violent resistance and got absolutely fucking rekt for it.
>>
>>499156
M8 Celts are barbaroi. Klerouchoi applied to Greeks only.
>>
File: pictes.jpg (138 KB, 640x458) Image search: [Google]
pictes.jpg
138 KB, 640x458
Who Picts here?
>>
>>499056
Men were putting their benises in girls baginas.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.