[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well /his/; tyrant or liberator?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
Well /his/; tyrant or liberator?
>>
Obviously not a tyrant
Not really a liberator though
>>
File: Thumper1.jpg (145 KB, 506x758) Image search: [Google]
Thumper1.jpg
145 KB, 506x758
Liberator who became a bit corrupted by his power. If he hadn't been deposed when he was, he might have become an actual tyrant
>>
>>492540
Effective politician, done in by hubris
>>
>>492540
Definitly not a tyrant
You can call him a "dictatot" if you want, since he wasnt a "legit" monarch, but he didnt behave like a tyrant.

Just because a dude conquer a bunch of countries, it doesnt mean he's a tyrant.
This meme happened because of Hitler and Stalin who happened to be both tyrants and conqueror, but these are not synonyms

Tyrant is linked to interior policy, not foreign relations.
Napoleon was much less of a tyrant than most of monarchs in his era
There's a reason why his civil code is still used nowdays
>>
>>492540
Funny he was consider the Hitler of his time, but anglo propaganda didn't stopped the 1848 revolutions and spread of liberalism

Guess what will happen in 2048
>>
He wanted to create a new royal house and put his family in power across all europe. Not really cool by today standard, but that was the usual procedure at the time, even if some people on both sides ressented that behavior.
And the rest of Europe crowned heads weren't particularly nice to the people.

For me, he was a modern king for his time. He did great things to the french (and other conquered countries) law, economic system and police, amongst other things.
Maybe he had great ideals (if his autobiography is honest), but he lost them during his reign. You decide if he had a choice or was too pressed by the war with the coalitions.
>>
Siege of Jaffa 1799.
Ruthless prick.
>>
>>493289
>According to some sources, the French messengers who brusquely told the city of Napoleon's ultimatum had been arrested, tortured, castrated and decapitated, and their heads impaled on the city walls.

Guess the turks had it coming
You can fight gentleman's war with other yuros, but not with a bunch of inbred arabs in the desert

Anyway, whatever he did there were the actions of a general in an overseas war, nothing to do with a tyrant
>>
>>493289
He hadn't enough supplies, he was forced to abandon them/kill them (that's war).
Also before that he captured a lot of Mamelukes who sworn to not fight against him anymore, but these guys lied, so I can imagine that he was a bit salty when he captured them again.

Plus the all Egyptian expedition was senseless, he couldn't do much really
>>
>>493289
>>493319
But yeah I don't deny its implications in some inglorious murders(i.e : Duke of Enghien)
And of course his decision to re-establish slavery was disastrous
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.