[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many people in Classical Greece would have had physiques
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 14
File: doryphoros.jpg (121 KB, 539x1156) Image search: [Google]
doryphoros.jpg
121 KB, 539x1156
How many people in Classical Greece would have had physiques like this?
>>
All of them. What are you? A Helot?
>>
>>491279
athletes did for sure, also considering gymnastics were highly regarded by the greek culture i assume many ordinary citizens would train from time to time
>>
>>491279
None, honestly.

The Greeks statues were idealized beyond what any person could achieve. They weren't physiques to attain, but ideals to strive after.
>>
None considering classical Greek statues were specifically made to inhuman proportions.

They took the physique and just slightly exaggerated the musculature in areas to create the ideal image of man.

Too tier aesthetics tho
>>
That statue has a small penis.
>>
>>491840
Most did. Small penises were popular, big penises were considered barbaric.
>>
>>491840
Fun(ny) fact. Romans and Greeks purposely made statues with small penises because big penises were more comical and I guess lewd. Smaller penises invoked more a aesthetic and austere image.
>>
>>491840
Big penises were considered comical and barbaric.
>>
>>491840
That is helpful for anal sex, and also in case of small penis, man keep erection long.
>>
>>491736
>>491816
t. ignorants guessing
>>
>>491906
Is it proven that is the case? Why so anyway?
>>
>>491922
blood requirments
>>
File: Thermae_boxer_Massimo_Inv1055.jpg (616 KB, 1100x1783) Image search: [Google]
Thermae_boxer_Massimo_Inv1055.jpg
616 KB, 1100x1783
"The Boxer"

>The statue is a masterpiece of Hellenistic athletic professionalism, with a top-heavy over-muscled torso and scarred and bruised face, cauliflower ears, broken nose, and a mouth suggesting broken teeth. R.R.R. Smith believes that the statue does not show a true portrait: this is genre realism, individuality removed in favour of a generic character of "boxer"

Despite the latter half of that paragraph, this is likely similar to what a realistic physique of an active man in Classical Greece might have had
>>
>>491931
oh right. I guess the term growers not showers is a nonsense term then...
>>
>>491914
Except its not guessing you fucking fool.

Greek statues are purposely anatomically incorrect. Specifically the back, the clavicles, and the hips. This was one of the major transitions that occured during the classical period of Greek sculpture.

Learn art history or stop talking out of your ass.
>>
File: Kam385b.jpg (190 KB, 1246x1280) Image search: [Google]
Kam385b.jpg
190 KB, 1246x1280
>>491736
>>491816
How would they know what muscular bodies look like if no one in Greece had muscular physiques?
>>
>>491967
This. The musculature of those statues has to have been based on something. SOMEBODY had that kind of physique in old Greece. It probably was very rare, but it must have actually existed.

Also, if you look at the statue in the OP he's not in our modern definition of 'fit,' or at least not completely. He's got a visible core, but he still seems a little chunky. This is realistically the best you could hope to achieve in ancient times. Our modern ideal of very low body fat simply wasn't possible with their very primitive diet and exercise methods.
>>
>>491936
What? That's just talking about the difference between someone flaccid and erect.
>>
>>491279
They would probably be aesthetic as fuck tbqh. just think about it

>wake up
>walk to the market place
>walk home
>take a shit
>make food, move supplies into the home heavy lifting

That's like 4 hours of exercise right there

>eat lunch, olives, olive oil, bread, complex carbs are used right away because you walk everywhere, everything else is protein or fat which is used throughout the day
>meet down at the bay for fleet training, arms are strong as fuck from rowing
>your buddy needs help moving a cart of olive oil you move that shit with your strong as fuck thighs which you've been using literally everyday, even from sprinting up the hill to the oracle with your fiends
>spend an hour walking home
>fuck some slave bitch
>go to bed

Being Greek would've been dope as fuck
>>
>>491914
They were ideals you retard; stop talking shit and learn some art history.
>>
>>491851
Tiny penis facts are always fun and funny. Thanks.
>>
>>492031
>Walking
>Moving a cart
Wow, it's fucking nothing.
>Thinking the average greek engaged in 'fleet training'.
>>
>>492031
Basically this
They had a high protein high fat diet and were conscripted to either fight or row fucking triremes all day

On top of this, Greeks had high regard for exercise and gymnastics, as well as living generally more strenous lives than us

Greeks must've been fucking natty
>>
>>491279
The muscle mass itself isn't that unlikely to get, but of course only actual soldiers, athletes had this body.
>>
>>492131
Of course they were natty if it means natural.

Or have you heard of ancient steroids yet?
>>
>>491936
My dick is 20cm when errect, when flacid though you could put it into a wallnut. Nature is a bitch, but a benevolent one, at least to me. :-)
>>
>>492637
Are you the guy who posted his dick on /his/?

I remember your dick
>>
File: sSqVi.gif (858 KB, 240x228) Image search: [Google]
sSqVi.gif
858 KB, 240x228
>>492645
no man, fuck no
>>
>>492127
I don't know about Greece but manning the galleys was the role of proles in ancient Rome. There aren't enough aristocrats to row every vessel in the fleet, you know.
>>
>>492031
>this is what /fit/ actually believes
I've had a greek lifestyle for most of my adult life (walked everywhere, mediterrannean diet, vigorous anal sex) and I'm still just a skinnyfat wretch.
>>
>>492900
Pitcher or catcher?
>>
>>492131
>The Metapontion necropolis ... revealed that the average height of adult males was between 162 and 165 cm, that of females between 153 and 156 cm, and with a body weight of approximately 60-65 kg for males
Natty as fuck.

>>492672
>I don't know about Greece but manning the galleys was the role of proles in ancient Rome.
No, Galley's were manned by Galley Slaves, and sailors.
>>
>>492904
catcher of course
>>
>>492923
Then you aren't the one doing the exercise, are you?
>>
>>492951
Lol, what?
>>
I DO NOT BELIEVE THEY EXISTED.
>>
>>492907

>Galley Slaves

modern myth. There is no evidence that galley slavery was ever used as a punishment, and slaves were only even used as oarsmen in times of manpower crisis.

Athenian navy was based on rowing power of thetes and metics. Only when they started to get buttfucked after Sicilian expedition did they start to use slaves to row.

Roman and Carthaginian navies both used slaves during the Second Punic War, again due to grave shortage of free manpower.

As a rule, ships were rowed by free men.
>>
>>492964
You are just laying there, no?

Or bending forward.

The one doing the physical effort is the one thrusting on top of you. Or from behind.
>>
>>492907
>Galley's were manned by Galley Slaves, and sailors.
>slaves
No:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_navy#Crews
>sailors
Proles, yes.

In Greece, Aristotle also explained that democracies relied on the navy (or naval powers became democracies) because the masses rowed ships.
>>
>>491935
I saw it in an exhibition in florence and it's something beyond beauty. the details of the wounds and the bruises were so realistic.
>>
>>491279
Some, probably not all.
That physique requires being physically active AND staying alive at the same time.

Soldiers (so pretty much every male really) didn't live too long so most of them probably couldn't achieve this level.

And yet the point that someone had it is the most valid. Ancient people did not have our understanding of anatomy. They couldn't simply decide this or that muscle will be developed on an athlete or a soldier. They didn't have that kind of detailed medical information.

So. They had to have seen it in person. In some cases they stylized it, but anyone with some knowledge about anatomy can see, that there is a level of portraiture in these works.
>>
>>493015
>You are just laying there, no?
>Or bending forward.
If you SUCK at it.
>>
>>492637
know that feeling bro, at least it is big where it needs to be
>>
>>491967
I didn't say no one in Greece had muscular physiques. Of course they did.

I was only saying to look exactly like a Greek sculpture is a physical impossibility. The anatomy is different.
>>
>>491816
I feel like this is correct. The statue in OP's picture has comically large obliques
>>
>>491816
Strange. I took my measurements and I am almost right on Greek Adonis proportion. Couldn't be that rare.
>>
>>491991
Keep guarding that ego dude. That is small even for flaccid
>>
>>495077
I've learned that, especially in the chest area, the Greeks used the golden ratio. Anyone else have more detail?
>>
>>492907
>galley slaves

Kek. Where were the Romans supposed to have found hundreds of thousands of slaves during the first punic war to row their fleet? The poor guys who would have been light skirmishers in land battles were given rowing-duty.
>>
>>493130
>Ancient people did not have our understanding of anatomy
>They didn't have that kind of detailed medical information
They sure as hell did, maybe not everything, but They did cut people apart back then and had name for body parts/organs like today. Yeah some of their statuary was stylized, but they did know how to diet and workout and did bodyweight exercises and lifted back then. That or something like it, even back then, was not hard to achieve. And ancient man could live up to 70/80,ripe old age Everyone dying early had been debunked Much like how the Vikings `didnt` beat Columbus to America whenever someone says ancient people didn't do something, they most likely did, and did it quite well
>>
>>495263
The average lifespan meme is sprouted by fags that don't understand average. Of course the average will be low if the infant mortality is high.

If you have 1 person living to 70 and the other to 1, the average lifespan will be 35 years.
>>
>>491935
>Hellenistic
>Classical

They were two different time-periods.
>>
The Spartans were shorter and leaner then the average Greek due to their starvation diet as children. Thebans were known to be big guys thanks to cattle farming.
>>
>>495263
>They did cut people apart back then

Not really. All of the major Greek anatomical knowledge comes from pig dissection and the rare monkey dissection. Human dissection almost uniquely arose in the late middle ages.
>>
>>495320
>big guys
Literally, for you.
>>
>>491991
Then those people don't last very long either then?
>>
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 1280x720
>>491842
>tfw born in the wrong time period
>>
>>491736
Not necessarily, while in the classical Era Greek sculpture was idealistic, the style in the Hellenistic Era was realism and the same perfect bodies appeared in art.
>>
>>495352
Proto autopsy have been observed as early as 3000 B.C. With Egyptian mummification. Ancients knew the human body and what was inside it
>>
The comically small penis should tell you right away that it's not 100% accurate.
>>
this thread needs this.

https://youtu.be/88gXWW3qN7o

It's 10 minutes discussing the evolution of Greek sculpture specifically. For exactly what is unrealistic you can skip to the 7 minute mark but I'd recommend the whole thing.
>>
>>491983
The greeks were one of the founding blocks of a shit load of stuff in western culture and thought. They knew a thing or two about attractive human form. At least from their stand point.
>>
>>495833
But they were, and are, manlets, so what's the point?
>>
>>493264
>I was only saying to look exactly like a Greek sculpture is a physical impossibility. The anatomy is different.

It's not impossible. Especially not in the modern age.
>>
/his/ will say none because in their technology futurist worshipping opinion everyone before the 1950s died at the age of 30 from poor nutrition and were nothing more than filth gathering peasants who had lives much worse than ours.
>>
>>495877
Are you suggesting that Greeks had the ability to alter their bone structures? What part of that are you not understanding?

Classical and Hellenic Greek statues were not made to exact human anatomy. The legs were extended, the obliques raise and enlarged, the tail bone was removed, the spine recessed, the chest raised and the groove deepened. The clavicles are higher and longer.

This isn't a matter of exercise or diet or steroids. The human body literally isn't built that way.

And that was the entire point. Because it wasn't a replication of man. It was an ideal to strive for what is beyond humanity and the ideal aesthetic.
>>
>>492672
>>492907
Both of you shut the fuck uyp.

Various cultures used free men or slaves for ships, but warships tend to be crewed by paid professionals-
Slaves will fuck you over on purpose and don't perform well, because you can't feed or treat the properly. The hundred-200 slaves WILL slaughtered your 10-40 armed marines and sailors otherwise.

NOBODY was taking "fleet training" on a regular basis. Romans and Greeks alike trained en for task, often on land on special mockups.

Unless you were a full time member of the navy (rome) or were employed directly by a noble to man a ship of his (greece) you didn't go near an oar 90% of the time.

Traders and fishermen are obvious exceptions.

>>493130
Most "fighting men" in greece didn't fight often-or even at all-and battles were very, very low casualty affairs, as you'd break when your front line started to collapse, and the front two ranks were behind shields and with armor for the torso, head, and legs, with only the eyes and right arm ever being exposed.

Outside of the classical period it gets worse, but the classical period was a great tiem to be a wealthy greek.
>>
>>491279
I looked like that when I was in high school. It differs from person to person. This was right after puberty, and I naturally got it. Looking at my dads teenage years I assume it's genetic. My guess on the pic is from the gift athletes, which is the desirable look.
>>
>>495904
You forgot that everyone has also always been a lazy piece of shit
>>
>>491279
Athletes.
Athletics was fucking huge in ancient Greece. Some settlements/cities/villages/ etc took it as a matter of civil pride that their citizens could kick people's asses in sports or fighting.
>>
>>495681
>the style in the Hellenistic Era was realism
no.
>>
>>496229
>Athletes were fucking huge
what?
What were they fucking? Huge giats? Huge cows? Huge women? Huge statues?
>>
>>496232
Then what was it praytell?
http://www.nga.gov/content/ngaweb/exhibitions/2015/power-and-pathos.html
>>
>>497122
are you retarded son?
>>
>>491942
>>492095
being this angry lol get laid you fucking losers
>>
>>491279
Well they had to be strong because if the sponsored athlete of a city won they demolished part of the wall to show that they werent afraid since they got him.From that I say they were pretty bulked up guys
>>
>>491279
>>>/fit/
>>
>>497503
>Get schooled
>lol whatever nerds!

You sure showed them.
>>
File: hellas.png (73 KB, 1545x422) Image search: [Google]
hellas.png
73 KB, 1545x422
>>497629
>tfw you'll never be a /fit/izen in ancient Greece

No homo
>>
>>497831
If you have kids, begin athletic training when they are very young. Even our best athletes don't start serious training until they're well into puberty.
>>
File: 5Ceck2c.jpg (42 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
5Ceck2c.jpg
42 KB, 425x282
>>497831
>The hardon I'm having
>>
>>497831
Eh, Socrates wasn't considered conventionally attractive by his times' standards so maybe he wasn't all that physically imposing like the rest of them.
>>
>>497862
Make sure not to overtrain them at a young age. Also, don't make them do shit they don't enjoy or want to do.
>>
>>498239
If my parents made me do more shit I didn't enjoy, I probably wouldn't be a NEET shitposting on 4chan.
>>
File: Sockyboy.jpg (55 KB, 431x450) Image search: [Google]
Sockyboy.jpg
55 KB, 431x450
>>497900
Physical imposition isn't the only qualifier of attractiveness you know.

He might've been showing excessive mutation.(I.e shitty facial symmetry)
>>
>>498239
You're not going to overtrain with pushups and such
>>
File: torso.jpg (97 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
torso.jpg
97 KB, 375x500
pretty common
for instance this guy was surprised by a volcano eruption and his torso was preserved in the toilet.
>>
>>498344
you're full of shit
>>
>>498259
It was the opposite for me. I begged them to take me to museums and let me go out for sports, but they told me TV was good enough.
>>
File: Ugly_mofo.png (55 KB, 519x145) Image search: [Google]
Ugly_mofo.png
55 KB, 519x145
>>498268
I have always wondered how close to reality images of Socrates are, since quite a few of Platos books say he was ugly. Pic related.
>>
>>498344
Lava turns people into marble? Impressive.
>>
>>498477
rain of ash - > fossilization
>>
>>491279

FULL NATTY BRAH
>>
>>498488
I'm well aware how fossilization works.

I wasn't aware that it somehow turns humans into marble statues. Because that doesn't happen.
>>
>>491840
What others have said. Also consider that the only people who consider large penises as attractive are women and strict homosexuals. In Greek society, women weren't even human and to be a strict homosexual was considered a stain on the oikos, as no children were begat.

If we were to consider it purely aesthetically, a smaller penis is more pleasing.
>>
>>498349
So was the torso.
>>
>>498567
>If we were to consider it purely aesthetically, a smaller penis is more pleasing.

>Smaller penis
>Not a massive log
>>
File: 1451249305967.jpg (942 KB, 1462x1462) Image search: [Google]
1451249305967.jpg
942 KB, 1462x1462
>>491736

>Fat tumblrite jelly of ancient fitness
>>
File: Alexander-the-Great.jpg (37 KB, 400x533) Image search: [Google]
Alexander-the-Great.jpg
37 KB, 400x533
>>497831

Kek

Women confirmed for irrelevant
>>
>>495657
This
>>
>>499127
>>495657
Small penises weren't desirable, but statues were made to have small dicks just to prove that they didn't care about the irrelevant desires of their women.
>>
>>498630
Greeks considered big dicks as comical and animalistic
>>
>>498667
>bringing women into this
>>
>>497831
>Welcome to /fit/
>>
>>491935
Not Classical m8
Hellenistic art was more focused on realist anatomy.
>>
>>491906

I had a buddy of Austrian breed who told me about his dick, and how he could hold an erection for like 4 hours and ejaculate inside snowmen cause his dick is kind of small. He was a plumber and shit.

I mean like, more power to you Austin brah.
>>
>>492951

Dude, catcher is a mad hard position.

Not only does your mental game have to be on point, you have to squat literally all day, learn sign language and fight with cocky pitchers, deal with the umpire's dick and the hitter's ass in your face, catch balls you can barely see every fucking time, take cleats to the face from sliders, play all innings, and then go home and get cvcked by the shortstop.

don't knock catchers they're pretty much the best players on the team.
>>
>>491906
That's bullshit, I'm just at 8 inches and I can keep it up just fine.

Not like you guys would believe me, this is the internet after all.
>>
>>499333
That's rich, as the gorilla and chimpanzee have incredibly small dicks, while humans are huge in comparison.
>>
>>495726
my dick is around that big when flaccid
>>
>>498371
So basically, like most of this generation, you had shitty parents too lazy to actually raise you?
>>
>>499317
Well only retards are interested in women for anything other than reproduction, real men are gay.
>>
>>501619
>>499317
>>498667
But why did they have female goddesses ( like Aphrodite) literally praised for their ideally feminine beauty though? Also stories like Herodotus's Psyche show that they were in fact also infatuated with the beauty of women too.
>>
>>495681
Realism ≠ Real.

The realism was the context of the subject, what they were doing and involved in, not necessarily their physique. Though in some cases the physique was also the subject of realism, i.e. >>491935

That OP pic though? No fucking way.
>>
>>499317
Wait which is true,we are going need sources because i always thought it was small penis were desirable
>>
>>499317

>doesn't even link to wiki

2/10
>>
>>491851
>>491842
>>491840
Big dicks were comical. Actors in satyr plays and mimes woudl wear a giant leather phallus belt during the performance.
>>
>>491279
A few thousand at most, aristocrats with time on their hands to train for elite events like the Olympiad or Nemean Games were the exception not the rule. Most Greeks had a subsistence diet of grain, barley and fish.
>>
>>501646
Female goddesses of beauty were for those pussy Athenian. Sparta venerated Apollo and Hyacinth the most:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyacinth_(mythology)
Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.