[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Royalty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: royalty.jpg (79 KB, 500x403) Image search: [Google]
royalty.jpg
79 KB, 500x403
How did this happen? Why was some cunt one day able to say that he is a god and above everyone else, and everyone else has to worship him and also all his descendants forever? Why was this able to happen almost EVERYWHERE?

How did it start, how did it develop, what were the actually mechanical processes and why did people accept it and how long did it take for people to accept it?
>>
>>48798
Engels. Family, Private Property & The State.
Kropotkin. Mutual Aid. (skip the animal chapters).

Yes these are horrifically outdated. They're still a good jumping off point.
>>
>>48798
I think it starts with a heroic and/or wealthy person who inspires/pays for followers, then people buy into the hype and generational decay takes hold.
>>
WE
>>
>>48798
Agriculture.
>>
>>48798
People like the idea of a God-King, its comforting
>>
>>48798
Well that's a broad question and a broad generalization about divine monarchy. I doubt that one day a fellow just said he was the son of God and people just accepted that claim and decided to become servile.

Divine kingship has happened in a lot of places and times. Perhaps we should compare some cases?

>>48840
And perhaps you should enlighten us on these works if they are truly noteworthy
>>
>>48798
Royalty evolved from tribal chieftains you dumb fuck.

/thread
>>
File: 1355775807925.jpg (40 KB, 411x381) Image search: [Google]
1355775807925.jpg
40 KB, 411x381
>>51240
>>51316
>>51377
All of these.
>>
>>48798
i own this fertile land
its mine

i have the strength to own it
all these people who want to kill me for it get killed anyway

there are these other people who dont want to kill me for it but would like to align themselves with me

because i have good land
and i am strong
i can let them use the land
and i can protect these people who cannot protect themselves as well as i can protect them

and in return, they serve me in some other way.

BOOM

Royals.
>>
Bigger groups tend to kill smaller groups, and groups tend to have leaders in order to function cohesively. So the guys following the guy saying he's God, get slaves and all sorts of stuff, and everyone else gets to fall in line or be brought to it.
>>
>>51345
>And perhaps you should enlighten us on these works if they are truly noteworthy
Kropotkin uses 19th century anthropology to inquire into the early development of heritable property and differentiable access to social surplus including potlatch.

Engels charts the development of the state through comparative anthropologies of marriage systems and their development of property concentration into protostates.
>>
>>48798
A key part of labor specialization is the stratification (splitting ) of social classes.
People need an authority to keep order. In early society this role was easily filled by military generals (who would later become kings) and popes. As this one ruler system of governing a city became popular in mesopotamia it spread quickly and became the base of what we call kingship.
Now as it became less about military control and more about governing people began to elect kings. Now the thing about giving people absolute power is they will use it to benefit themselves and the people closest to them. Kings began to require that their sons be given the crown after their death. This was basically the birth of royalty
>>
if you figure the average populace in modern times is half retarded and has no problem with accepting rule by oligarchs and massive wealth inequality its not too hard to believe a population of full retard farmers just accept divinity of kinds without question. remember there are baby boomers, right now, who actually believe that israels right to exist is based purely on "cuz gawd sed so in da bible"
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.