[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much knowledge was lost when the Library of Alexandira was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: 1814-0-1448081483.jpg (27 KB, 854x476) Image search: [Google]
1814-0-1448081483.jpg
27 KB, 854x476
How far did it set us back?
>>
1. Very little
2. Very little
>>
All the futuristic space pyramid science used by ancient Black Kings.
>>
>>487166
..10..15 years if we are being fairly generous I suppose?
>>
>>487189
>>487181
well shit. why do we even know about this story
>>
A bunch of medical techniques that were state of the art then but holistic garbage that doesn't actually work in reality.

Though maybe you should try bathing in mercury just in case.

Also philosophy, more worthless garbage.
>>
>>487166
1. The work of many ancient philosphers, playwrights and mathematicians was exclusively in that library. So A LOT was lost.
2. It set us back considerably. This, and the catholic church burning ancient scriptures put us back into stone age intellectually.

We were lucky some of it was preserved and rediscovered in the Renaissance.

>>487181
well, you're a pleb
>>
>>487198

It's a reddit/Cracked.com meme

Historically speaking it was a totally insignificant event
>>
>>487198
It's greatly romanticized like many ancient things we know little about, because everyone asks the same question you ask in the OP.
>>
>>487200
>>487207
Book aren't worthless only because you're dumb to understand them.

I hope you realize that some day.
>>
Obviously, without a catalog of the content of the library we cannot evaluate the real damage to the global knowledge of that age.

but the greatest damage coming from that event was its meaning: the development of a closed society where it was better to destroy knowledge if it wasn't in agreement with the dominating dogmas, doctrines, paradigms ... instead of knowing it with open mind.
>>
>>487198
Because the library of Alexandria was a sign of how important Alexandria was.

We don't even know when the library actually shut down.

There was a series of fires, but none of them are "And that was the end of the library".

Alexandria, you need to remember, was probably THE most important City in the Mediterranean world, and the Library was a show of it's wealth, power, and prestige.

The disappearance of the Library was a sign of Alexandria and Egypt's decline into relative obscurity.

Imagine if, for example, the movie industry just shut down in Los Angeles and nobody even bothered noting when the last studio went bankrupt.

And think about what that would say about American cultural power and prestige. That's what the loss of the library of Alexandria represents.

Later, a bunch of European assholes who thought everything good in life came from the Greeks and Romans, because they were the only ones who were still educated in Greek and Roman, literally waxed poetic about it because they decided the loss symbolized everything that was wrong with THEIR world.
>>
Not much. Copies of the works "lost" at Alexandria survived in Constantinople and Baghdad as late as the 13th century
>>
>>487232
Look up Sophokles. Almost all of his work had a copy in Alexandria. Now only 7 out of 120 remain.

This is just an example, there are many worse ones, authors we will never ever hear about.
>>
>>487231
Fantastic post.
>>
>>487204
>the Catholic Church burning ancient scriptures put us back into stone age intellectually
>we were lucky some of it was preserved and rediscovered in the Renaissance

>being tricked by Renaissance propaganda
>>
Weren't most of the contemporary accounts of Alexander's campaigns lost in that fire?
>>
>>487166
Here in my garaaaaaaaaaaaage. Just bought this new Lamborghini here. Fun to drive up here in the Hollywood Hills. But you know what I like a lot more than knowledge? this new Lamborghini here. But you know what I like a lot more than the new Lamborghini here? My Tedx talk where I talk about this new Lamborghini here. The. The. Thuhuhuhuhuhuuu. In fact I'm a lot more proud of these seven new Hollywood Hills that I had to get installed to hold two thousand new Lamborghinis. :| :o :| :o :| :o

It's like the Buffet Warren billionaire says, "The more you earn the more you drive up here in the Hollywood Hills." In fact, the real reason I keep this Lamborghini, is the real reason I keep this Lamborghini here is that it's a reminder. A reminder that dreams are still possible because it wasn't that long ago that I was in a little Lamborghini sleeping on bookshelves in the Hollywood Hills with only forty seven billion dollars in my bank account, and forty seven Lamborghinis in my Lamborghini account, and only forty seven hills in my Hollywood account, and only forty seven Tedx Talks where I talk about Warren Buffets in my Tedx Talks where I talk about Warren Buffet account.

But you know what? Something happened that changed my life. I bumped into a Lamborghini, and another Lamborghini, and a few more Lamborghinis. I found five Lamborghinis. I don't call it money anymore I call it fuel units. You must have enough units. You must have enough Lamborghinis. You must CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS.

I'll see you on my website. It's a quick video and you'll see there absolutely nothing!
>>
File: 1441810156605.jpg (618 KB, 1201x884) Image search: [Google]
1441810156605.jpg
618 KB, 1201x884
>>487204
>and the catholic church burning ancient scriptures put us back into stone age intellectually.

>people still spouting this debunked garbage
>We were lucky some of it was preserved and rediscovered in the Renaissance.
>>
>>487166
wat is the meme of picrelated senapia
>>
>>487166

>I keep my library in my garage
>>
>>487204
>the catholic church burning ancient scriptures

>>>/out/
>>
>>487231

/thread
>>
>>487831
That number is 2 septillion, if anybody was wondering.
>>
>>487166
It's kind of hard to know, but I imagine most of what we lost are historical records/cultural works.
>>
>>487166
1. Quite a lot
2. Not that much

We can't be sure of what were the actual contents of the library, but a lot of it was poetry and theater, which, while culturally important, aren't the kind of practical knowledge whose loss can set mankind back.

Plus, since the Library would store all texts it could, it's reasonable to believe that a lot of them were not that good
>>
Is it possible that it had the texts of Chrysippus?
>>
We probably lost some works of fiction and poetry, but if you mean knowledge as in philosophy, math, psychics or even history, probably not a lot really.
>>
>>487204
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>487224
What. The Library was burned by Julius Caesar, and it had nothing to do with that.
>>
>>487204
This has to be what bait on /his/ looks like.
>>
>>487207
Only muslims think the burning is insignificant. Faggot eat some pork.
>>
They had a working steam engine and blue prints. Quite a bit back.
>>
>>487166
I remember going to epcot and learning that it wasn't that big of a deal cause the sandniggers stole a bunch of shit already so all we had to do was steal it back
>>
>>487204
>We were lucky some of it was preserved
By Islamic scholars. Baghdad School of Wisdom.
>>
>>487166
>How much knowledge was lost when the Library of Alexandira was destroyed?
A ton.

>How far did it set us back?
Lots. But not in the way you think.
It's not all that much about the books being burned, there were probably people with the knowledge which managed to recreated a lot of the texts from memory later.

It's about losing the institution.

Later most libraries and universities were Christian institutions where only children brainwashed from the youngest age to think like priests were allowed to study. After a donation by their parents of course.
This limited knowledge in Europe to a small zealous group and brought technological progress to a crawl in some historical instances a complete halt.
>>
File: image.png (181 KB, 1251x585) Image search: [Google]
image.png
181 KB, 1251x585
>>487204
>the catholic church burning ancient scriptures
>>
>>493171
Changing the originals for your own purposes is almost as bad as burning them, historically speaking. I'm glad to have what we have as they are but it's still not a good thing.
>>
>>493286
They had to shove god into everything. It was just how they thought.
>>
One of the most shameful acts in history, in a long line of shameful actions. We can't even begin to comprehend the wealth of information that's been lost.Archimedes' work ,the origins of the egyptians

Man.....this subject piss' me off.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.