[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I fucking love this board. What are the criteria for making sure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: 1446341907792.jpg (50 KB, 402x599) Image search: [Google]
1446341907792.jpg
50 KB, 402x599
I fucking love this board. What are the criteria for making sure it stays once the trial period ends?

Also, how far back was humanity sent when the library in Alexandria was destroyed?
>>
>>48432

Probably not much at all, seeing how most of the scrolls were rotting and nobody bothered to preserve them.
>>
>>48432
There are trial periods to boards?
>>
Judging by how many idiotic /pol/tards infested it from day one and /his/ is another containment board I doubt it will stay for long.
>>
>>48533
>>
>>48432
1. Do people like it, does it attract enough traffic to warrant a stay, is the topic unique enough to warrant its own board.

2. The chance that an important book existed only in the library of Alexandria is extremely small. Most of the unique books that were in the library were shitty diaries and cookbooks nobody gave a shit about. Ptomely (I think the second or third) would hire crews (which were kinda like pirates) to go and attack ships looting them of their books to put into his library. None of these books were likely important. I believe Galen writes about this in one of his treatises.
>>
File: 1437503720471.png (66 KB, 622x622) Image search: [Google]
1437503720471.png
66 KB, 622x622
>>48432

>Also, how far back was humanity sent when the library in Alexandria was destroyed?
>>
>>48569
Those mouth breathing retards are easy to call out though, even if they don't get banned instantly. They can't argue out of a paper bag.
>>
>>48578
When does the trial end?
>>
>>48432
I really want to shitpost /mu/ memes, but I'll refrain.

To answer your question OP:
Its a stupid question, that makes no sense.
Yes, a lot of stuff was burnt and lost forever. No, you cant "quantify" the loss
>>
>>48432
>Also, how far back was humanity sent when the library in Alexandria was destroyed?

From what I've read, not really that much. By the time the Muslims had gotten there a lot of the writing had become very restricted by internal politics and religion. Foreign scholars were not allowed to continue studying there if they weren't Christian. Because of this, the Muslims apparently saw no value of anything in the library except for Plato and Aristotle, which they already had, so they used it to light the fires in their bathouses.

I don't remember where I read this, I can find a source if you are interested.
>>
>>48756
I'm interested
>>
I'm not sure much was actually lost. A lot of the texts were copies anyway and the useful stuff was being preserved in practice.
>>
>>48638
What kind of things (besides the obvious "Hitler did nothing wrong" posts) are they posting and not arguing well out of?
>>
Now that I think about it have there been any boards who haven't made it past the trial period?
>>
File: 1440859812207.png (44 KB, 706x674) Image search: [Google]
1440859812207.png
44 KB, 706x674
>>48638
>They can't argue out of a paper bag.
that doesnt really matter, they'll keep you replying for hours on in with the stupid shit they say and their silly logic
>>
File: map3.jpg (972 KB, 1362x1258) Image search: [Google]
map3.jpg
972 KB, 1362x1258
>>48785
Eh, I tried and failed. I think it was something a professor of mine said in class that was his knowledge, I don't have him anymore but I'll email him and make a thread when I find it.

I did find references to the invading Muslims getting 6 months of fuel out of "superfluous" works, which given that they had posession of Plato and Aristotle for a long while means its possible that it was included in there. Though in some of my research I found more references to the Caliph declaring everything heresy or superfluous and burning everything so I could have been wrong the whole time.

Sorry for wasting your time
>>
I can't remember any "trial boards" that didn't stick around.
>>
>>48432

laughed so hard that my drink came out my nose
>>
>>49712
why?
>>
>>49504
>>48569
I don't understand this meme.

I haven't seen any more stormfronts here than on any other board I've frequented, if anything there are less of them.

/his/ is basically everything I'd hoped it would be and I hope it stays forever.
>>
>>48569
Sorry you can't handle opposing opinions.
>>
>>49834
there were a bunch of autistic WE WUZ KINGZ threads and some other obvious /pol/ shit earlier but mods are doing their work properly for once and they're getting deleted pretty quick.
>>
>>49875
its not a matter of opinions its a matter of them counter arguing everything by ''IT WAS THE JEWS/MUSLIMS/NIGGERS'' while having no sources and their autism about shitting up any thread discussing non european history just because its not about ''aryan master race''.
>>
Maybe I'm not as bothered by it, but I haven't seen any real shitposting here yet. Even the holocaust denial stuff I've seen was part of an interesting thread. /his/ has so far been a pretty fantastic success in my eyes and I'm surprised at how fast it's moving.

My only worry is that it's going to kill /int/ through attrition.
>>
>>49504
To be fair, populism is a flaw of almost any online community.

First off, although I don't much care for /pol/, its important to understand that most shitposting is not followed with an agenda. For many, its just opportunistic entertainment, and will be pursued by people whether follow /pol/ or not.

In general, 4chan and Reddit, the two largest communities for Western discussion, are moderated by the majority. The difference between the two is that Reddit can silence the minority of any community, either through zealous moderation or the use of downvotes. On 4chan, the post of a minority view has the same weight as the post of a majority view. While you get some interesting content which would not be displayed or tolerated on most communities, you also allow the existence of posters who derail threads for their own means.

IMHO, this is only a problem once you start bringing in real-life consequences. The content boards (/s/, /d/, /wsg/, etc.) have almost no controversy, the individualist hobby boards (/out/,/trv/, /diy/, etc.), have little controversy, the niche media (/a/, /jp/, /vp/) is still majority non-confrontational, the mass media (/mu/, /tv/, /v/), has issues with derailment, and the real life (/r9k/, /pol/, /lit/) face a constant barrage of subjective antagonism. Mind you, having low popularity protects a board from the sheer white-noise, but its impossible to shut-down someone who holds an opinion solely to incite others.

While people decry the Reddit system, /askhistorians/ is probably the best attempt at potentially allowing any answer while keeping the low-quality content out. The problem with this system is that interesting comments can be removed for not meeting a subjective threshold, and that many topics do not have the opportunity to get mentioned, either for lack of political correctness or lack of citation. Its boring. Moderators stifle some potentially toxic conversation and create a white-washed community.
>>
>>49983
It was the huns!

but really. There is a difference between people attacking blacks and people praising 3rd reich successes.

The mods need to not inflame the /pol/ people and let htem come as long as they are talking about history and not current affairs.
>>
>>48432
It'll stay. Its got more traffic than other boards I visit, like /3/ its fine.

Not as bad as you think. The Library was more of a hoarder than an actual library. They forced all ships entering the port to hand over scrolls to copy for the Library. They took some by force as well.
>>
>>48432
>What are the criteria for making sure it stays once the trial period ends?

50,000 posts in 2 days?

Seems like it'll stick around.
>>
>>48432

As long as it has more than 5 posts a day -- and at least 4 of them on topic, then the board won't be going anywhere. No worries
>>
>>48638
>>48569

The constant screaming of "/pol/tard" over and over in every single thread gets irritating. You guys are the real shitposting cancer.

I came here from /fit/, btw.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.