[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How fucked were if you got injured during WW1? With the medical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: plastic.jpg (54 KB, 590x875) Image search: [Google]
plastic.jpg
54 KB, 590x875
How fucked were if you got injured during WW1? With the medical technology and terrain, infection was all the rage. Had anything really improved since the late 19th century? Morphine for pain, improvements in stabilizing the patient? I know with WW2 there the miracle drug of penicillin. Nowadays assuming the wound you recieve isn't instantly lethal you got good chance of surviving, though the way you live your life might not be so favorable.
>>
>>482371
Fucked is relative, but relative to today, you were fucked.
>>
>>482371
Pretty fucked, they were called the Lost Generation for a reason.
>>
>>482371
>How fucked were if you got injured during WW1?

Very fucked.

You'd live.
>>
>>482382
So say you get a rifle shot in the chest and were able to get outta no mans land to a competent surgeon. Were they able to save you or would you die from peritonitis?
>>
>>482389
You'd probably live, but with significant infections that you'd probably survive.

Shell fragments and gas and disease are more important.
>>
>>482415
Gas was relative rare though yea? Shell fragments on their own would have less direct damage than getting shot by a bullet. With shells you'd have to worry more about the explosive force, though in that case you wouldn't be surviving. So you really did have a good chance of surviving if you took a bullet wound? Especially since they were all rifle sized.
>>
>>482442
Shrapnel. Sure the explosion will outright kill people, but the shrapnel will maim dozens more.
>>
>>482442
>Shell fragments on their own would have less direct damage than getting shot by a bullet.
Shrapnel is hot and tumbles and is designed to "spall" inside the human.

Bullets are cooler and in the era didn't tumble by design and are designed to "in and out."

Artillery kills, small arms pin.
>>
>>482453
Yea but if you're getting hit by artillery you're gonna be dealing with the blast and shrapnel. In that radius you're usually gonna be dead. Plus you might be disabled in a way that might make it difficult to make across the line.
>>
>>482371
What happened to this guy?
>>
>>482637
His friends were assholes and didn't give him a coup de grace.
>>
>>482637
From the signs of facial reconstruction, I'm guessing shrapnel to the face.

>>482660
Also this.
>>
File: VPQz0S1.jpg (957 KB, 965x8927) Image search: [Google]
VPQz0S1.jpg
957 KB, 965x8927
>>
File: nQxir8X.jpg (994 KB, 869x6899) Image search: [Google]
nQxir8X.jpg
994 KB, 869x6899
>>
File: LFsYGNX.jpg (984 KB, 772x6320) Image search: [Google]
LFsYGNX.jpg
984 KB, 772x6320
>>
>>482674
>>482675
>>482677
amazing! thanks anon
>>
File: WWI_plastic_surgery_soldier.jpg (14 KB, 331x481) Image search: [Google]
WWI_plastic_surgery_soldier.jpg
14 KB, 331x481
>>
>>483191
Woah they're going all out for him with migrating skin grafts, good on them.
>>
>>482675
4th row up, right picture: if I were that guy I'd wear an eyepatch.
>>
>>482703
from a book called "war against war" by Ernst Friedrich
>>
We're brainwashed from birth to believe that being in these guys' positions is the greatest position you can possibly be in. I can not imagine what level of mental cuckoldry you'd have to be suffering from to believe it.

Bertrand Russell was a smart smart guy.
>>
>>483403
projecting
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.