[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thirty Years War thread Is there a more interesting point in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11
File: map_1648_Europe.png (182 KB, 1894x1367) Image search: [Google]
map_1648_Europe.png
182 KB, 1894x1367
Thirty Years War thread

Is there a more interesting point in history than this clusterfuck? It has everything going for it in terms of like a television series, a massive turning point in history, a bright and colorful aesthetic, gore and debauchery, ridiculous circumstances, why does it seem so rarely touched upon?
>>
>>48215
aw shit nigga thats the next subject on my reading to do list
>>
Thirty Years War is basically SWEDEN STRONG
>>
File: 800px-Johann_Tserclaes_Tilly.jpg (392 KB, 800x1074) Image search: [Google]
800px-Johann_Tserclaes_Tilly.jpg
392 KB, 800x1074
>>48215
>>48215
>tfw you will never kill heretics with based Tillymeister
>>
>>48215
Because as you say it's a clusterfuck. Who the fuck has time to disentangle all this bullshit.
>>
File: the_warwolf.jpg (54 KB, 385x600) Image search: [Google]
the_warwolf.jpg
54 KB, 385x600
>>48215
read this book OP

fucking badass historical fiction. inspired the nazi resistance movement when the russians were knocking on the door
>>
>>48215
France raped Germany in a literal sense, spawning the butthurt that would later cause the WWs
>>
I always wondered how nations dealt with war for this long.
Like The Hundred Year War. Did they eventually just turn their economy into a warbase system?
>>
>>48593
>Did they eventually just turn their economy into a warbase system?
Yes. Read up on fiscal-military states.
>>
>>48593
Well it's simple really, about a third of the entire German population was killed in the war. This war was remembered by Germans as the worst war ever faced by them even all the way up to the 1960s.
>>
>>48721
Any books or documentaries you would recommend?
>>
File: Richelieu besieges La Rochelle.jpg (855 KB, 3000x1705) Image search: [Google]
Richelieu besieges La Rochelle.jpg
855 KB, 3000x1705
>>48279
Except because the swedish fatty wasn't but another pupper of based Richelieu, frog of frogs.
>>
You know those batshit African wars in the 90's?

That except in early modern Europe.
>>
>>48844
This is probably my favorite painting of all time, or at least one of them (the one of Charles V by Titian is close). Thanks for posting.
>>
>>48844
such a shame they couldn't put aside their differences to crush the heretics instead of using them to weaken the HRE
>>
File: 30 years war death.jpg (146 KB, 405x522) Image search: [Google]
30 years war death.jpg
146 KB, 405x522
>>48215
Relevant for the thread

>>48593
In this case, the only nations that were in the war during the actual 30 years (austria, spain and co. actually even more in the case of the spaniards) actively wanted it to stop for most of it. But the 30 years war is basically Richelieu paying another opponent to join when the previous is defeated to continue fucking the Holy Roman Emperor. In the end, France itself joined and collected the spoils of war, completely destroying Habsburg hegemony over Europe.
>>
>>48593
The hundred years war was not continues nor was the thirty years war. They either disbanded their armies or parked them in cities/countryside forcing the inhabitants to feed them.
>>
Why didn't the Ottomans take advantage of the whole mess, and invade Austria?
>>
>>49011
They actually did.
>>
>>48952
Well I know that most armies back then didn't fight during the spring or summer time because they usually had to go back home to farm.
>>
>>49057
What went wrong? Why wasn't Vienna a part of the Ottoman empire?
>>
>>49135
That's for way older armies. Armies during the 30 years war were almost all professional mercenaries who lived on war.
>>
>>49208
Oh okay, thanks for that.
>>
>>49135
For them it was mainly winter that fucked em over. They lived off farmers, aka 'living off the land'. The generals were essentially herding a pack of wolves that required new pasture once in a while.
>>
>>49194
Well first there's the general fact that Vienna is actually pretty far from the turkish centers of power, and attacking Austria was always a logistical nightmare for turks.

Then the fact that Austria defeated the bohemian rebels (who the turks were supporting) too fast for the turks to actually help.

And finally, the fact that the ottomans also had to fight the Poles and the Persians. In fact in 1618 the turks had been recently defeated by the famous Abbas the Great and between 1618 and 1648 turks and persians had like 3 or 4 wars more while Europe was fighting the 30 years war.
>>
>>48215
> Kingdom
> Sweden
Choose one.
>>
File: 30 years war death map.png (73 KB, 690x681) Image search: [Google]
30 years war death map.png
73 KB, 690x681
>>48946
I found another one
>>
File: 30 Years War campaigns.png (181 KB, 790x1024) Image search: [Google]
30 Years War campaigns.png
181 KB, 790x1024
>>48413
It's not that bad man. It would make for a good TV series if it wasn't made by anglos. GOT is more complicated and more retarded and people likes it.
>>
File: 30 years war sides.png (235 KB, 2340x1675) Image search: [Google]
30 years war sides.png
235 KB, 2340x1675
>>49815
Well okay maybe it was a bit complicated. Most of it makes a lot of sense if you follow the events of the war and ignore some meme irrelevant "interventions".
>>
File: why.png (206 KB, 2000x2154) Image search: [Google]
why.png
206 KB, 2000x2154
i cant lads

i just cant
>>
File: Vyoknění.jpg (27 KB, 300x218) Image search: [Google]
Vyoknění.jpg
27 KB, 300x218
YOLO
>>
>>48215
>Is there a more interesting point in history than this clusterfuck?

That like, depends on yo opinion mayne, I'd argue WW1 is the definitive period for the modern day personally.

it was basically the prelude to WW1 tho in terms of warfare.
>>
>>50231
>Literally throw ambassadors into piles of shit
>>
>>50319
>they did it several times thoughout their history
>>
>>49939

>Emperor

Nobody gave a fuck about the HR Emperor because the HRE itself was already a meme. It was possibly the first world war, with combats in every continent and everyone fought for their interests, with Portugal being the biggest c u c k and France entering in force in the later stages to pick up the spoils when everyone was exhausted.
>>
>>50415
Don't get fucking asshurt. He was called The Emperor (as in, the paradigmatic emperor) around Europe even by his enemies.

And it was mainly this war that turned the empire into a meme, by the way.
>>
>>48915

Richelieu in Battle Cardinal mode is pretty sweet, yeah.
>>
>>48844
This is my desktop background. However , as a brit, I am very embarrassed about George Villiers there and at Cadiz.
>>
>>50530

The HRE started its long way towards memehood when Barbarossa died. Then with Martin Luther the HRE achieved full meme status, and the 30 years war and subsequent Treaty of Westfalia confirmed it officially.

Go be fag somewhere else.
>>
>>51217
I had it as my desktop for a long time too.
>>
>>51280
Yeah, Charles V's rule totally wasn't the most territorially dominant in Europe since Charlemagne or anything. Just a me-me! lol!

Oh wait, you just have a personal bias against it and read Voltaire's quote out of context, you must be the expert. Empire's don't go through fluctuations or centralization and decentralization or anything.

It was a meme post-17th century. Before then? No.
>>
>>51558
Well, I'd argue that you could say when the middle ages ended, so did the HRE as a powerhouse personally.
>>
>>51558
This desu, haters and memers must just stop.

>>51714
When did the middle ages ended according to you?
>>
>>51558

>The HRE was the prime source of Charles V power
>Empires go through processes of stuff and you know sorta things, it's normal! even if it means balkanization and de facto independent subststes in factions and wars against it each others and allying with foreign statesand stuff. Nothing meme tier about this Empire lad!

Go back to /int/ and post Pepes.
>>
>>51847
Not him but it's generally accepted to be 1453, when the Turks took Constantinople and Frnace beat England in the 100 Years War
>>
>>51944
Here everyone would say 1492, discovery of the americas and end of reconquista (aka end of muslim presence on western europe).

And I've seen people here, mostly anglos, putting the renaissance and the early modern era (or parts of it) into the middle ages.
>>
>>51927
>it's a meme if I say so! go back to x board!
Yeah, you're a fucking meme.
>>
>>52358

Periodization of historical ages is not a set in stone thing. It's simply an artificial way of setting boundaries. They're all arbitrary and debatable as fuck except, maybe, the Prehistory-Ancient History one.

But indeed, anglos are a particularly colossal kind of wanking faggots when it comes to periodization. And in general too.
>>
>>51927
>>Empires go through processes of stuff and you know sorta things, it's normal! even if it means balkanization and de facto independent subststes in factions and wars against it each others and allying with foreign statesand stuff. Nothing meme tier about this Empire lad!
they literally do though
they're either quickly separated, or result in exactly that over time
all empire's are meme-tier according to you
>>
>tfw sweden used to be a super power

what happened bros
>>
>>53438
All countries have their golden ages m8.
Even Poland. Can't last for ever, at any rate.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.