[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is the most overated philosopher of all?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5
File: ayyristotlew.jpg (52 KB, 502x335) Image search: [Google]
ayyristotlew.jpg
52 KB, 502x335
what is the most overated philosopher of all?
>>
confucius.
literally "its wrong because its wrong lol" conservatard.
>>
>>478439

>>>/pol/
>>
>>478439

he was more of a political theorist than a philosopher
>>
>>478439
>He doesnt use the Socratic method so there is no validity in what he said!
>>
File: friedrich-hegel-sony-segel.jpg (69 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
friedrich-hegel-sony-segel.jpg
69 KB, 1000x1000
i don't like hegel at all but that's probably just opinion instead of actual objective overrated-ness
>>
>>478496
Fuck u
>>
>>478436
Probably Nietzsche, Hegel, or Chomshy.
>>
Spinoza
>>
Bertrand Russell
>>
>>478500
eat shit Zizek
>>
>>478913
LMAO
>>
>>478922
Every day he is eating from the toilet, and the name of the toilet is ideology.
>>
Marx/Hegel
>>
>>478436
Philosophy as a whole is overated.
>>
Aristotle's theory of Justice as to each his due
>>
>>478436
Plato.

Plato is the dumbest shit you will ever read, yet is massively respected anyway.
>>
>>479192
Give it some slack, he is literally the cradle of philosophy, obviously most of his work is outdated.
>>
>>479161

This to be completely honest family. The only good thing to come out of the whole of philosophy is the scientific method. The rest is pointless.
>>
>>479207
>is the scientific method.
Nice method m80. Wouldn't it be a shame if Lakatos demonstrated it is incommensurable?
>>
>>479222
The thing with philosophy m8, is that never is actually demonstrated.
>>
>>479244
*is that nothing.
>>
>>479244
Go read Lakatos.
>>
>>479258
Go read literally any other philosopher of science, hundres against one, not much of demonstration m8.
>>
>>479276
>hundres
Oh you mean like Kuhn, whose findings duplicate Lakatos' on commensurability?
>>
>>479222
>>479258
>>479291

Sounds yawntastic.

Will it help find a cure for cancer?

Are nuclear power stations going to stop working now Lactation has shown science is """"incommensurable"""""?
>>
>>479338
So you're not actually interested in method after all are you, your argument that science is true has been discarded like yesterday's corn burrito.
>>
>>479343
>your argument that science is true has been discarded like yesterday's corn burrito.

Oh okay.

I guess as long as you name drop a couple of random philosophers gravity ceases to exist.

Good one bro.
>>
>>479384
>gravity
Doesn't exist outside of scientific discourses.

Mistake observations for your theorisation more.
>>
>>479391

Gobbledygook, lad.

This is what you get from reading philosophy.
>>
>>479427
Go to >>>/sci/ and ask them about history and philosophy of science mate. Go anywhere. Go again not here.
>>
>>479439

I'm only interested in the history of it.

You can stick your discussion about the meaning of meaning of meaning of meaning up your pooper and measure how far up you can stick it so we can have some empiricial evidence how far you shoved it up there.
>>
>>479448
>I'm only interested in the history of it.
Apparently not because you don't know who Kuhn is or why his ideas are important. You might also want to read Needham.
>>
>>479453

Important to who?
>>
File: 1449014934039.png (346 KB, 1829x788) Image search: [Google]
1449014934039.png
346 KB, 1829x788
>>479207
>The only good thing to come out of the whole of philosophy is the scientific method.
>the scientific method.
>Not the scientific methods.
>>
>>479338
Go away engineer, science are for scientists.

You can't find a definite cure for cancer because every instance of cancer is basically a unique illness and nuclear power stations are glorified steam engines. You'd know this if you weren't an engineer.
>>
>>478477
>uses the term conservatard
>>>/pol/
you people make me fucking sick. You're just hindering healthy discourse.
>>
File: JadenSmith21.jpg (41 KB, 563x548) Image search: [Google]
JadenSmith21.jpg
41 KB, 563x548
>>479489

>positivism

Oh okay anon, so long as you can randomly equate science with some school of philosophy that I don't care about then evidence from observation and experimentation will magically become invalid.

Hey everyone, let's all have an argument about the meaning of meaning with Jaden!!
>>
File: 1445849980493.png (130 KB, 1553x1716) Image search: [Google]
1445849980493.png
130 KB, 1553x1716
>>478436
>what is the most overated philosopher of all?
aristotle, quine, pooper
>>
>>478436
nietzsche most definitely
>>
Socrates/Plato
>>
>>479207
Can't philosophy be attributed to the creation of capitalism? Feel free to tell me if I'm being retarded.
>>
>>479610
He said "good".
>>
Rousseau. Either that or some Pomo guy from the 20th century.
>>
>>479207
This.

Useful philosophy ended with Descartes. The rest is just pointless circlejerking.
>>
>>479620
I was just about to add "except for Rousseau if we include political philosophy".

>>479619
Rousseau is the founder of all modern political thought.
>>
>>479207
Nice bait mait

You got all the high school kiddies triggered
>>
>>479620

Adam Smith
>>
>>479620

>Useful philosophy ended with Descartes

He's literally the guy behind 99% of today's idiocy
>>
>>479222

>Wouldn't it be a shame if Lakatos demonstrated it is incommensurable?

I don't think you know what demonstration means.
>>
Pure philosophy is utter shit, "doing" philosophy in any other context is helpful.
>>
>>479717
That would be Comte senpai, pure rationalists are gay.
>>
It's a tie between Aristotle, Averroes and Aquinas
>>
Aquinas, no contest.
>>
>>480503
>>480519
Why all the Aquinas hate? Are you fedoras?
>>
>>478439
Definitely this, and most of the shit attributed to him was really Mencius and later Confucians making shit up and putting it in his mouth because of his prestige. Confucius himself likely deserved even less credit than idiots give him.
>>
>>479616
>implying
>>
>>480537
I think he is an extremely overrated philosopher who wasted his potential trying to justify the unjustifiable.

Should we assume sweeping generalizations of your character based on philosophers you don't like?
>>
>>478439
>Implying what he said cannot be plainly observed
>Implying that discrimination between right and wrong is not intuitive to the cultivated gentleman
>Implying the master wasn't right about everything
I bet you're a dick to your mum you edgelord
>>
>>480574
>justify the unjustifiable
Have you read anything about him besaide the /pol/ b8 images? He developed an important methodology that even Bacon used.
>>
>>478995
LOL
>>
Plato fucking thought everything was a sphere outside of reality, he was a low IQ retard that took himself too seriously and couldn't think up anything original (I've read he mostly copied Heraclitus). Glad Aristotle blew him the fuck out.
>>
>>480724
>I have become b8
>>
>>480724
The allegory of the cave is great, as long as you take it just as a metaphor for enlightenment. But he thought it was real. He started the Platonic system of academies (paid, private institutions) and inspired St Augustine to make the Catholic Church the way it is today. Once Socrates died Plato dipped his tunic and took a fat shit on his grave.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.