[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> From the day Zeno became Crates’s pupil, he showed a strong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: S0GpGXA.png (130 KB, 500x390) Image search: [Google]
S0GpGXA.png
130 KB, 500x390
> From the day Zeno became Crates’s pupil, he showed a strong bent for philosophy, though with too much native modesty to assimilate Cynic shamelessness. Hence Crates, desirous of curing this defect in him, gave him a potful of lentil-soup to carry through the Ceramicus; and when he saw that Zeno was ashamed and tried to keep it out of sight, Crates broke the pot with a blow of his staff. As Zeno began to run off in embarrassment with the lentil-soup flowing down his legs, Crates chided “Why run away, my little Phoenician?”, “nothing terrible has befallen you.”

>Zeno began teaching in the colonnade in the Agora of Athens known as the Stoa Poikile (Greek Στοὰ Ποιkίλη) in 301 BC. His disciples were initially called Zenonians, but eventually they came to be known as Stoics

Are Stoics just Cynics who can't handle the banter?
>>
9/10 made me lol
>>
>>475437
What's so bad about carrying lentil soup?
>>
>>475437
Yes
>>
>>475689
DUDE

LMAO

HE'S CARRYING A LENTIL SOUP IN THE CERAMICUS
>>
>>475689
iirc it was taboo/low class to be seen with food in public, street food was barbaric and it was considered classless to carry it around like some servant
>>
>>475689
Eating while you're walking is, and always was, pleb as fuck.
>>
File: Crates.jpg (51 KB, 700x464) Image search: [Google]
Crates.jpg
51 KB, 700x464
>>475437
>why run away my little anon
>nothing terrible has befallen you
>>
>>475689
You'd never understand the shames of a patrician.
>>
>>476771
what am I looking at
>>
>>479763
a cynic
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.