[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The year is 1941. You're a young man, somewhere between
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: draft-405x248.jpg (27 KB, 405x248) Image search: [Google]
draft-405x248.jpg
27 KB, 405x248
The year is 1941. You're a young man, somewhere between 18-26 living in the US. You open the newspaper and read the Japanese just attacked Pearl Harbor. This means America is now in the war. You were registered for the draft.

If you serve, there is a likelihood that you may die or not come home in one piece.

Luckily, you were not selected by the draft to serve so you are given the choice. Do you choose to serve anyway, and if so why?

Try approaching the question only with the knowledge that someone in that position would have. Don't look at post war statistics to justify choice.
>>
>>474050
Yes, because unlike OP I'm not a pussy and in general statistically likelyhood, the more people join the less likely the individual chance of my death overall is.

Plus I'm sure the Coast Guard needs able men.
>>
>>474057
You don't necessarily know where or what you'll be doing.
>>
>>474050
Oh hell no.
>>
>>474089
First point still stands.

For that matter I'm unlikely to see combat for a year anyway.
>>
>>474099
That's an argument for joining any military force in general though.
>>
Yes i have a duty to my country and fellow man. It was a direct attack by the dirty subhuman Nippon creatures on our way of life, if i dont defend i dont deserve it. life isnt just about gib me dats, there is also duty and responsibility. Otherwise you are like a person who downloads torrents but never seeds;its unacceptable.
>>
File: tumblr_npd2x1z2Z91u0l5eho1_500.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_npd2x1z2Z91u0l5eho1_500.gif
2 MB, 500x500
Yes, I would join. At that point, the great depression would have starting to bounce back, assuming this is me in my position at that age in that time, I would have been in school and been able to do science for the army keeping me off the front line.
>>
>>474050
>Luckily, you were not selected by the draft to serve so you are given the choice. Do you choose to serve anyway, and if so why?

Depends on what my CPUSA cell orders me to do.

Depends entirely on that.
>>
Yes, I want to say I took part in the biggest current event of my lifetime. Also I want to experience death.
>>
>>474050
I GTFO asap
>>
>>474050
Actually odds are I would likely survive
>>
>>474050
i join the army instead of the marines so i have a higher chance of being sent to europe instead of the hellhole that was the pacific
>>
>>474050
16.1 million Americans served in the armed forced during ww2

Only 291,557 Americans died and 671,846 were wounded.

95% chance of making it out unscaved with those sweet sweet gi be bigots waiting for me? Sounds good.
>>
>>474706
*Benefits
Damn auto correct.
>>
File: 1423810020485.jpg (199 KB, 901x960) Image search: [Google]
1423810020485.jpg
199 KB, 901x960
>>474195
kek
yeah go die for general motors and the standard oil
idiot

>>474463
kek
yes, go die for comrade stalin
idiot
>>
>>474717
Well the hypothetical is me, 19-26, in the US, in 1941. Chances are I'd be CIO and CPUSA. The Cannonites were even MORE fucked up than the CPUSA. The IWW were long gone. American anarchism wouldn't start to revive until the 1980s.

So to advance the power of my class I'd be using the CPUSA even as they were using me.
>>
>>474050
>Do you choose to serve anyway

Yup.

>why

Jap pussy.
>>
>>474050
I'm 35 and autistic

I think now that all the men are being shipped overseas, I might have a chance.
>>
Probably. It depends on where I'd be in my life.
>>
>>474751
>not forming an independent workers party
>helping stalinism
you wouldn't be advancing your class interests this way, you think the political vanguard should be going off to die some stupid death by a random lost bullet? get real nigger
>>
>>474886
>>not forming an independent workers party

In 1941. As an 18-26 year old. There's a reason we call them "sects". You know, not even hanging out with CLR James & Raya Dunayevskaya would be worth the distance from actual class struggle. Praxis, not ideology. Are you a historical materialist or a bourgeois idealist?

>you think the political vanguard should be going off to die some stupid death by a random lost bullet?
CPGB organised the Cairo and Indian mutinies.

>get real nigger
Ooh look at the big balls on Brad, Brad has a pamphlet. Brad's pamphlet doesn't even have a union labour certification.
>>
>>474798

>Implying you wouldn't get stationed on some muddy pacific island in the middle of bumfuck nowhere with nothing but constant rain and screaming bucktoothed japs to keep you company
>>
>>475046
Yeah but in 1946 chances are you get to rape Tokyo.
>>
>>474050
No, I'm anti war. War is dumb.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.