[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can Christianity claim to be about helping the poor and charity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 196
Thread images: 29
File: 657.gif (499 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
657.gif
499 KB, 500x280
How can Christianity claim to be about helping the poor and charity when they still haven't sold the Sistine Chapel or any of their works of art?
>>
How can Muslims claim to go to Paradise upon martyrdom if they haven't even blown up Mecca in a Sunni-Shiite conflict yet?
>>
Because the Catholic Church is the world's largest charity.
>>
File: 4.jpg (493 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
493 KB, 1024x683
>>473033
So? That doesn't justify this.
>>
the logic is obvious, isnt it?

by not giving away their possessions now they remain in business to give smaller bits of charity out for a long amount of time - mamy small + consistent charitable donatioms will over time exceed the benefits of one huge but suicidal giveaway.
>>
>>473007
>Selling culture for monetary gain

Wrong religion.
>>
>>473045
They could hand over their possession to secular providers.

What a bunch of bullshit.
>>
>>473053
What would that change?
>>
>>473007
500 billion dollars?
Let's say there's about 3 billion poor people in the world.
They need to eat 3 meals a day.
Each meal costs 1$
That 500 billion would only feed them for about a week or so.
>>
>>473067
You wouldn't have the clergy living opulently.
>>
>>473007
>A just society is one where rich people have exclusive access and control to the shared heritage of all mankind.
>>
>>473044
It was built as a monument to God. What the fuck else would it be used for?
>>
How can USSR claim to be helping the poor and charity when they still haven't existed in over 2 decades?
>>
>>473073
But the secular providers can live such lives?
>>
>>473071
This. Christianity isn't about liquidating your assets and giving money away, it's about charity.
>>
>>473071
Holy shit can you not count?
According to your example it costs 9 billion a day to feed all the poor people in the world.
Now if you had passed 3rd grade you would know that 9 can go into 500 a lot more then 7 times.
It would last 55 and a half days.
Moron.
>>
>>473044
That's an old work of art. It wasn't created on the backs of poor people.
>>
How can charity claim to be about helping the poor and charity when they spend more money on raising money than they do on the poor?
>>
>>473007
>implying
The revenue generated by the tourist money going to churches and museums run by catholics over time is greater than what would be obtained by selling them all off right now. Also, most of the clergy has to take vows of poverty, making it less of the church just rolling in money and more of representing beauty.

However, you also have to realize that the Church isn't even comparable to the greater organizations in economics, and if they did the same (I saw it compared to J.P. Morgan) the money generated would be, at the very least, double.
>>
>>473100
I guess I counted wrong.
That's still less than 2 months.
It’s not a long term solution.
>>
>>473007
Because it isn't nearly as profitable as you think, as plausible as you think and it's a temporary solution that will stop working in less than a year.
>>
>3 While he was at Bethany in the house of Simon the leper,[a] as he sat at the table, a woman came with an alabaster jar of very costly ointment of nard, and she broke open the jar and poured the ointment on his head. 4 But some were there who said to one another in anger, “Why was the ointment wasted in this way? 5 For this ointment could have been sold for more than three hundred denarii,[b] and the money given to the poor.” And they scolded her. 6 But Jesus said, “Let her alone; why do you trouble her? She has performed a good service for me. 7 For you always have the poor with you, and you can show kindness to them whenever you wish; but you will not always have me. 8 She has done what she could; she has anointed my body beforehand for its burial. 9 Truly I tell you, wherever the good news[c] is proclaimed in the whole world, what she has done will be told in remembrance of her.”
Mark 14:3-9
>>
>>321701384
Fuck, I have responses to this bait, let me go find them
>>
>>473123
>It’s not a long term solution.

Not him, but yes, it's not a long term solution, but Christianity does not support long term solutions either.

Since when has the Church created schools for the specific goal of education people out of poverty?

If they have 500 billion dollars, they could certainly fund probably hundreds, if not thousands of schools in China and Africa, devoted to making sure people, as it were, be taught how to fish, instead of being given a fish, as it is now.

Charity in the Church takes the form of making sure people STAY poor, so that they constantly need the Church, until they die.
>>
>>473152
>If they have 500 billion dollars, they could certainly fund probably hundreds, if not thousands of schools in China and Africa, devoted to making sure people, as it were, be taught how to fish, instead of being given a fish, as it is now.
The Church operates hundreds, if not thousands of schools in Africa.

It does not operate them in China, because the Chinese state prefers political control to economic success.
>>
>>473152
Anon, I highly doubt the Church is in some big conspiracy to make sure people STAY poor. The way this world works, no vast conspiracy is required for there to be a large amount of poverty.
>>
>>473152
They know how to produce food already, they're unable to compete with the prices of foreign imports. The Catholic church doesn't shoulder responsibility for problems caused by geopolitics and global trade.

Also, why do you interpret OPs image in a literal way? They don't have 500 billion dollars at their disposal - it's a number she made up then and there.
>>
>>473172
>The Church operates hundreds, if not thousands of schools in Africa.

No, the Church operates hundreds, if not thousands of places of indoctrination into Christianity in Africa.

Christians do not care about the poor. They care about how many people they can save from Hell.
>>
File: sellvaticanresponse.png (197 KB, 959x343) Image search: [Google]
sellvaticanresponse.png
197 KB, 959x343
This is some gr8 b8, by the way, m8
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (40 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
40 KB, 1280x720
>>473192
>>
File: sellvaticanresponse2.jpg (587 KB, 788x944) Image search: [Google]
sellvaticanresponse2.jpg
587 KB, 788x944
>inb4 reddit
>>
>>473181
>The Catholic church doesn't shoulder responsibility for problems caused by geopolitics and global trade.

I never said they did either, but when you actually have power and resources to the extent that the Catholic Church does, you should use it on teaching a man to fish, not holding a sandwich ransom until he accepts the Lord as his Savior.
>>
>>473192
The alternative to those schools is an anarchic economic zone where nobody learns anything at all because they're too busy being fucked up.
>>
>>473208
>you should use it on teaching a man to fish, not holding a sandwich ransom until he accepts the Lord as his Savior.
Is this how you think they operate?
>>
>>473215
>Is this how you think they operate?

No, not directly and it was meant as hyperbole, but there is a reason I consider secular charities vastly superior to religious ones, and that's because in the former, the only goal is to help people in this world, with no potential strings attached.
>>
>>473225
If the only goal of secular charities is to help people, does that mean there's no corruption? Why can only secular people have a genuine desire to help people without an ulterior motive?

If I hold a door open for someone, is it a nice gesture or am I merely trying to sway them towards my political and/or religious beliefs?
>>
>>473225
> the only goal is to help people in this world, with no potential strings attached.
>Secular Chinese
WEW LAD.
>>
>>473234
No, but is not the stated aim of the Catholic Church to make everyone a Christian? I'm pretty sure it is, and while there certainly can be corruption in a secular charity, a secularist can at least not be condemned for doing good deeds only in hope of a divine reward.
>>
>>473248
>but is not the stated aim of the Catholic Church to make everyone a Christian
Stated where?
>I'm pretty sure it is,
If it's stated by them there wouldn't be any room for doubt.
>a secularist can at least not be condemned for doing good deeds only in hope of a divine reward.
And what about religious people who like helping others?
>>
>>473248
What is wrong with doing good deeds in hope of divine reward? Even if I am doing a good deed for a selfish reason, the good deed is still being done, isn't that more important than why I did it?
>>
File: 1447008903301.jpg (1012 KB, 736x6270) Image search: [Google]
1447008903301.jpg
1012 KB, 736x6270
>>
>>473265
>Stated where?

Stated in their own motto, Extra ecclesiam nulla salus.

>And what about religious people who like helping others?

They can do whatever they like as far as I'm concerned, I just don't think their motivations for doing it are right, and I think they are highly likely to start proselytizing their religion in the process.
>>
>>473280

this
>>
>>473007
She's some ugly inbred looking skank tbqh familia
>>
>>473299
>I just don't think their motivations for doing it are right
So it doesn't matter that they're the largest, and functionally best charity in the world, because the motivations aren't justified by the ends or means if it makes you butthurt?
>>
>Putting catholics in charge of helping the poor
Ireland tried that, with sexy results!
>>
>>473024
Mecca was destroyed a few times
>>
>>473007
This is why fedora memes exist.

It's not the lack of Christian faith, it's the sheer amount of "holier-err enlightened than thou" and "why haven't you sold your testicles to feed a hobo for a week" while doing little in the way of service yourself, at least in this case.
It's just obnoxious.
>>
>>473152
>Since when has the Church created schools for the specific goal of education people out of poverty?
Are you joking?
>>
>giving money will create money

liberaltards at it again
>>
>>473225
You should care more about the help, not the motive
>>
>>473280
>using a North Carolina town (Protestant Dixie) as an example
Come on now
>>
>>473778

fedora memes exist because the lack of "faith" became the whole identity of certain edgy teenagers in the pre self-aware internet days

lack of christian faith is called rationality. the funny thing is the regression in knowledge by smart people all over the internet who forced themselves to become religious just to not identity themselves as "reddit" or whatever.
>>
>>473099
>christianity is about charity
So all i need to do is make regular payments? No baptising, praying, going to church, accepting Jesus and shit? That's great. Will $100 a month do?
>>
>>473827
Read Theology and Social Theory.
>>
File: 1384973917121.png (26 KB, 889x737) Image search: [Google]
1384973917121.png
26 KB, 889x737
>>473208
>>
>>473827
>fedora memes exist because the lack of "faith" became the whole identity of certain edgy teenagers in the pre self-aware internet days
yup

lack of christian faith is called rationality. the funny thing is the regression in knowledge by smart people all over the internet who forced themselves to become religious just to not identity themselves as "reddit" or whatever.
>who forced themselves to become religious
I doubt anyone become religious to avoid being made fun of on the internet. I daresay this has probably never happened once. As a matter of fact, 4chan is just about the only place I've seen aggressive atheism shamed.
>>
>>473856
I fucked up my greentext there. Damn.
>>
>>473007
How about instead of selling shit you teach Africans how to farm like the Afrikaaner do. Maybe while you're at it you can help rejuvenate the soil and make it arable. Maybe instead of just giving a fucking fish to some random fuck you teach him how to be productive in a modern sense. Jesus, you people are fucking retarded.

You see young faggot, to create wealth within a country, you must create competition. When you give poor people free shit, why would the vast majority of them want to work? This is seen in the American welfare system. You can make $40k a year with a family of 4 iirc. I'm all for helping the impoverished, I try my best to take time out of my schedule, which I will not claim is busy, to donate and give back to my community. Why give a man a fish if you can teach him to fish? Why would ever just give someone the necessities of life without offering him a way to become self-sufficient? To become dependent on any organization is like signing away your soul to laziness. I grew up in poverty and I fought my way out of it.

If you want to help Africa, teach them how to farm, how to shot a gun, and how to read. These 3 things will help them eons more than your fucking pitiful "food aid" will. You're just destroying the local market and making it impossible to sell food and live as a farmer if you just give it away. Here's my plan:

1) start a farm in Africa lead by experts in agriculture
2) promise food in return for work
3) they realize they're making their own food
4) go somewhere else and repeat the process

Seriously, it's not that hard.
>>
>>473842
Charity and trying your best at monasticism.
>>
File: religion science through time.jpg (95 KB, 766x448) Image search: [Google]
religion science through time.jpg
95 KB, 766x448
>>473856
>lack of christian faith is called rationality.
No, it's called pseudo-intellectualism.
>>
>>473106
This artwork is made from materials which cost money. Those materials were paid for by the catholic church, which got most of their money from tithing poor people. Where do you think money comes from?
>>
>>473360
Motivations don't justify ends.

If it did, we could murder a few people in order to supply the people who need organ transplants, and people would be okay with that arrangement by that's not the world we are living in.

Not every motive for an action is a noble one, and I think it's more noble to want to help because you care about the actual people who live in misery, and not about where they are going in the hereafter.
>>
>>473927
but that's not the world we are living in*
>>
>>473890
I was quoting the other anon. Notice I said I fucked up my green text.
>>
File: 1375123788086.gif (395 KB, 370x281) Image search: [Google]
1375123788086.gif
395 KB, 370x281
>>473918
>This artwork is made from materials which cost money
And that money went to the artists, the people who provided the materials to create it, and the laborers.

All of whom were able to feed their families with the money and all of whom paid taxes, from which a portion was donated to the poor.

One needs a continuous income to help the poor.

If you give away all your wealth to the poor at once, all you do is create one more poor person.
>>
>>473927
Pretty sure it's really important in law.
>>
>>473927
>I think it's more noble to want to help because you care about the actual people who live in misery
But they do.

Catholic Charities help people despite whatever faith they may have. They don't make you convert to stay in a shelter.

What are you even talking about?
>>
>>473978
He's saying he thinks it would be more noble if it were done for the sake of secular morality instead of Christian morality.
>>
>>473985
Morality is morality despite what religion you belong to.

People who identify as Christians do the right thing because they think it's the right thing most of the time, not because they're afraid of Hell.

It's not the Middle ages.

I've personally never been to a Mass that said that any non believer was damned to hell. Granted, I'm not someone who regularly attends Mass, so i guess they may have changed it.
>>
>>473877
80% of farmland in Africa is owned by family farms. They know how to farm, idiot. If it wasn't that hard, global famine would already be solved.
>>
>>473007
How can atheists claim to be secular and accepting of other belief systems when they keep making shitty bait threads, which if taken seriously, would lead to the end of said beliefs?
>>
File: bjnPO.jpg (185 KB, 720x360) Image search: [Google]
bjnPO.jpg
185 KB, 720x360
>>474121
You do realize that religion is basically a superstition that eats up tons of time and shit on progress and human rights? Why do you think gay marriage and abortion took so long to legalize? Protip: it wan't because of atheists.
>>
>>473007
>Christianity is a faith.
>The Catholic Church is one of innumeral organizations based on that faith.
>Holding a faith as a whole as defunct because one denomination has fuck you money and won't share.

Fuck off, Commie
>>
File: 1398058604156.png (684 KB, 810x720) Image search: [Google]
1398058604156.png
684 KB, 810x720
>>474121
Because Atheism has morphed from being a solitary experience into the very same kind of Dogmatic Organized bullshit that they deride Religion for being.

They fawn over Dawkins and his bible and bash other people's beliefs because they think theirs is better.

The Problem with Religion is not the belief in a deity, as per new Atheism and Dawkins, but the blind obedience to dogmata.

You don't need Jesus to be a thoughtless Zealot, you just need someone higher than you telling you you're better for believing what they tell you to.
>>
>>474152
>hurr durr if you asked that you must not know about religion
Thanks for that completely original nugget of wisdom.

>More people have died because of religious conflict than any other reason
I'm sure the people who founded the Soviet Union and the People's Republic of China would agree.
>>
>>473192
You act as if instilling some groundwork for moral values isn't the first step to success.
>>
>>474175
>Because Atheism has morphed from being a solitary experience into the very same kind of Dogmatic Organized bullshit that they deride Religion for being.
Yes, there is elements of truth in this, but its best to judge on an individual case-by-case basis.

As anecdotal as this is, many atheists I have conversed with pontificate about the values of secular humanism, but on many instances they quickly switch over anti-theism, generalizing all belief systems, or asking rhetorical questions like OP did which would undoubtedly contradict their own idealist views.

The answer is very simple, if we live in said secular world, then we accept that there are boundaries that shouldn't be crossed. That includes atheists, not just theists.
>>
>>473877
>If only it was as simple as 5th grade economics.
>>
>>474184
Communism is basically a religion, derp. I know Sam Harris gets a lot of shit for being a meme philosopher, but he pointed this out quite well.
>>
>>474227
>communism is basically a religion, derp.
A religion that promoted state atheism, derp.

Your replies are practically memes, while the question I asked, which you first responded to, flew past your head.
>>
>>474227
People will find a way to kill each other for anything. Religion is a convenient pretext. Religion has actually done a lot to advance society morally.
All 'dark age' memes aside, it's obvious the catholic church stifled progress, but many monks and clergymen still did extensive research. Also I could make an argument that the lacking of central power after Rome's collapse was the biggest contributor to tech stagnation, as opposed to catholicism.
>Sorry for the strawman, this was just addressing previous arguments.
>>
>>474240
>Religion has actually done a lot to advance society morally.
Oh, like by promoting slavery and colonialism, shitting on women, shitting on gays, and forbidding birth control?
>>
File: 1426229379260.png (331 KB, 800x900) Image search: [Google]
1426229379260.png
331 KB, 800x900
>>474217
>best to judge on an individual case-by-case basis
That's true, but sadly, while many of the participants are neutral and hold personal beliefs of their own, their louder, less considerate kin who operate under their banner are the most notable.

It's the same reason that the word Christian is immediately conflated with people like Westboro.

That's actually a hallmark of our society in General, where the only people operating on any kind of appreciable political plane are those who take the most extreme version of the position they stand for.

Be it Dawkins, Anita, or Fred Phelps.
>>
>>473007
Loophole: none of the priests/bishops/popes own the churches and artworks.

Furthermore if they sold it, they would be answerable to the Italian Government.
>>
>>473007
What is Jerusalem worth? Like nothing?
>>
>>473139

So his official position was "fuck the poor as long as I got mine"?
>>
>>474244
Eh, by the time all that happened, with the exception of oppression of women, the Church's authority was largely displaced by secular authority, who claimed nominal allegiance to religious authority. Also, I'm pretty sure atheist regimes such as the various communist regimes have also devalued women, so that may not be directly related to religion either.

Also, the Church can't actually forbid birth control, they can simply disapprove.

The pope can't stop me from using a condom.

Also, it's most important to realize that religion stems out of Human nature itself. It's not something that some malevolent being from on high put upon us to oppress us, and its evils would most likely still exist even without the concept of a God.
>>
>>474270
Everything.
>>
This anon>>473045 hit the nail on the head. I'll add that if the RCC stopped collecting donations to run their charity programmes they would be broke within the space of three weeks. You can't exactly sell stuff like the Sistine Chapel, either.
>>
File: 130249913763.jpg (43 KB, 704x396) Image search: [Google]
130249913763.jpg
43 KB, 704x396
>>474282
More like, "You don't have to sell everything you own out of some obligation to the poor, because no matter what you give, there will always be more poor."

It's pretty applicable to OP's post. The Catholic Church doesn't have to sell itself into destitution, because even if it did, there would still be poor.

That's Jesus's stance, so I guess that answers OP's question. The Catholic Church can keep all their cool shit and still call themselves Christians because Jesus supposedly said it's super cool
>>
How can a liberal claim to care about the international poor when he opposes outsourcing of jobs to the 3rd world, or backs proposals that would greatly prevent this from happening?
>>
>FEDORA: THE THREAD
>>
>>474306
>More like, "You don't have to sell everything you own out of some obligation to the poor, because no matter what you give, there will always be more poor."
Nah, it sounded nothing like that. Jesus was just saying "Fuck off, mate, I'm going to die soon. You can donate whatever you want to the poor after I kick the bucket."
>>
>>473007

such functionaly formed bait
>>
>>474355
That's because you're incapable of thinking past you're preconceived notions.
>>
>>474390
*Your

Obviously
>>
>>474251
Great post.
>>
>>473796
Only printing money creates money. You mean wealth.
>>
>>473007
>How can [moral claim] when [moral action]

>>>/pol/
>>
errr...how exactly are you going to sell the motherfucking vatican?

you just take all the precious stuff and sell it on ebay? that's savage. whoever buy all that shit is going to want to setup a museum for everyone to pay a ticket for.
what's that good for? you are already making some cash out of vatican and it generates a ton of turism revenue.

how is removing the intended purpose of the artisitc capital ( being in a temple) going to make anything better in either tourism or faith? it's a complete loss.
and Italy wouldn't allow it, even if we don't really own the vatican.
>>
>>474617
What are you going to do when Murika stops sending as much money to the Vatican to keep it going and they have to start considering selling stuff to stay afloat?
>>
>>474686
celebrate.
>>
File: 1407039704062.png (86 KB, 300x328) Image search: [Google]
1407039704062.png
86 KB, 300x328
>>474270
>>474290
Only good part of that film.
>>
>>473007

why don't we start by not giving Israel billions in aid used to bomb smelly brown people and instead use that money for something that doesn't involve murder? or better yet, have them sell all the gold in their temples. I'm sure they'd be enthusiastic about that suggestion.
>>
God damn the church is loaded. Is there anyway some of that cash can come my way?
>>
>>473152
What the fuck, there are actually hundreds of catholic school in poor countries
>>
>>473225
>I consider secular charities vastly superior to religious ones, and that's because in the former, the only goal is to help people in this world, with no potential strings attached.

i find your opinion(the only goal is to help people in this world) wrong and misdirected, no offense meant to you:
secular charities can easily have strings attached to them and ,while the motives of their members can be more fragmented, the help they provide is justified, fueled by ideologies, politic or even religions.
in other words there is little to no difference between doing something "because i think is good because i submit to a certain ideology" or doing the same thing "because i think is good because i submit to a certain ideology which is mantained by faith in a book".

most christian don't have a strict dependence on the book or on the priest' words when they do charity.
they don't do it "because the book told me so".
they internalize what the book told them to do as good, with the help of some rationality and context sometime, and act on behalf of that.

i firmly believe in the existence of two kind of charities:
-gifting fishes
-teaching people how to use a fishing rod

i'll skip my judgement on them and their effects.
both christian based charities and non-religious charities can do both. they can be both englightened, blinded or controlled by an outside interests, and both can ( and in certain ways should) have "sponsoring themself" as their own interest.
>>
>>473927
>If it did, we could murder a few people in order to supply the people who need organ transplants
That isn't a good analogy at all.
>>
File: popemobile.jpg (102 KB, 495x495) Image search: [Google]
popemobile.jpg
102 KB, 495x495
>>474749
Study 11 years to become a priest

Get bitches and money. Just hide & deny the bitches.
>>
>>473007
Wouldn't the Jews forgiving the debts owed to them do more to help the world?
>>
File: church militant.jpg (30 KB, 576x442) Image search: [Google]
church militant.jpg
30 KB, 576x442
That good feel when you once shut down a commie posting that same stale meme by saying "if the Communist Party is for the working class, why don't they sell their HQ and lands and give it all to the working class?". He didn't bother responding.
>>
>>473007

That bitch could feed at least one African or South Asian shithole just on the money she spends on couch pillows.
>>
>>473007

>What is the Vatican worth, like 500 billion dollars? This is great. Use the lasting cultural value, infrastructure, and good will of its supporters to accrue money which can be cycled into numerous charitable endeavors to continue to help people in perpetuity, rather than dismantling everything for one fleeting ineffectual gesture.
>>
>>473890
I'd argue it's called lack of Christian faith.

No more no less, being a sassy dick about it is no requirement.
>>
>>474152
>shit on progress and human rights?
>muh progress
Commie detected
>muh human rights
Gay marriage and killing unborn children are not human rights
>>
>>474911
Catholic delusions of grandeur thread? Which is to say: Catholic thread?
>>
>>473007
Because the RCC is more interested in protecting boypussy than any other issue in the world. "Helping the poor", mainly consisting of telling poor people to be submissive and be afraid of being "sinful", leads to prime boypussy but the gold is nice too, so they try to maintain the balance.
>>
>>473007
If we bought the entire world a happy meal within 24 hours everyone would be starving again only this time a random billionaire owns the Sistine chapel.

>>473044
Preserivng brilliant art is itself doing good for the world.
>>
File: augustine2.jpg (49 KB, 500x422) Image search: [Google]
augustine2.jpg
49 KB, 500x422
>>473152
>Since when has the Church created schools for the specific goal of education people out of poverty?
>>
>>473890

are you trying to prove anything with that image?

because if you're using it as an argument, wow you're giving religious people a bad name.
>>
>>474227
I don't think you understand what religion or communism are

t: Catholic Communist
>>
>>473007
Selling things that are needed in the first place is not charity, it's stupid self-destruction. Yes, pieces of history and ancient art are necessary, they are pieces of our history and culture.
>>
>>474152
>More people have died because of religious conflict than any other reason
Lmao, just fucking leave
>>
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
>>
>>473106
Nigger everything in the middle ages was created on the backs of poor people
That was the entire point of the middle ages
>>
File: bunker on head retarded.jpg (18 KB, 195x255) Image search: [Google]
bunker on head retarded.jpg
18 KB, 195x255
>>475394
>Catholic Communist
Have you found material proof of the existence of God or something you undialetical revisionist?
>>
>>473007
>Feed the world with money
Makes sense to me
>>
>>473088

Well, to be fair it would be a bit less hypocritical for some random secular people to live opulently, vs people who are allegedly emulating Christ in everything they do.

Still, cutting off a few of the more extravagant cardinals is hardly the same as selling the sistine chapel, and wouldn't really do anything in the long term to help world hunger or poverty.
>>
>>473007
>selling works of art
How can Atheism claim to be about enlightenment when they are so eager to destroy old works of art?

Vatican City has all the rights to have a financial power since it's a state afterall, just like San Marino.
What's actually wrong is the actual spending of money (google up the Vatileaks scandals), with large sums going nowhere or ending up fattening the wallets of some high-tier cardinal priest.

Saying Christianity is bad just because some people in it are greedy assholes is like saying Atheism is bad because some atheist are fat fucks wearing fedoras.
>>
Why don't whichever Jews would spend 500 billion dollars to buy the Vatican just feed the world instead?
>>
>>475687
>speaks of atheists as if they were somehow an unified group
Or actually not even that, you are speaking like "Atheism" itself has some kind of agenda and claims to care about enlightenment
The fuck, anon?
>>
>>473927

Doing bad things for good reasons =/= doing good things for bad reasons

Also, if you genuinely believe that people need to convert to go to heaven, then from a moral perspective there is no higher form of caring for them than trying to convert them. Not that that matters, since church-run charities help millions of non-Christians without forcing them to convert.
>>
>>474152

Why the fuck would you listen to an actor about anything that isn't directly related to the craft of acting
>>
Would the Vatican be worth fucking anything if it wasn't for Catholicism?
>>
>>473192

>Learning to read, write, count, build etc etc is useless if you also learn about Christianity at the same
>>
>>473280
Came here to post this
>>
>>473007
Because you need cultural glue to bind religion/ideas to nations, if Christianity is to remain in Europe it needs to be a part of the culture, and that means glorious and beautiful, unsurpassed works of art. Selling the churches and the art won't 'feed duh world' but it would degrade Christianity in Europe to the point of no return, I suspect that's why gutter level atheists and subhumans of lesser religions keep puking up memes about it.
>>
>>473007
>feed the whole fucking world

It's a shame people in africa and asia doesn't understand that food doesn't magically appear, it doesn't help either when they shit out 12 other buggers that requires food when there's no food either, it's their own fault that they're starving.
>>
>>473918

the rich paid for those artworks you historical illiterate
>>
File: urban II.jpg (37 KB, 496x818) Image search: [Google]
urban II.jpg
37 KB, 496x818
>>473152
I went to a Christian Brother's School in Ireland all my life

the Church here has always been a big part of life since the landlords left, priests replaced them and offered assistance and guidance to their respective flocks all across the country

why are atheists so proud of their ignorance
>>
>>473073
But the secular statesmen that live off of taxes would live lavishly. Men of the church give up everything to serve. Politicians make a profit. I'd rather the Sistine chapel and the glorious art from this period devoted to god stay in the church's hands. They've protected it for a good few hundred years now so they're doing a fine job.

This whole argument is dumb. Why not complain about the golden domed grave of Danny Thompson outside of st jude children's research hospital instead?
>>
File: disgusted basileus.png (65 KB, 316x456) Image search: [Google]
disgusted basileus.png
65 KB, 316x456
>>474152
>plebs need to be spoonfed what they believe to be their own independent thoughts and ideas from the mouths of celebrities who's opinions are solely based upon what will garner them the most popularity
disgusting
>>
>>475380
Polymaths throughout history have often been religious, whereas modern "scientists" are simply autistic anti-theists.
>>
>>476412
Danny Thomas*
Fuck autocorrect
>>
>>476471
Modern science requires a greater degree of specialization. The low-hanging fruit has been picked.
>>
>>474152
>human rights
k e k

>muh feelings mayne
>>
>>476381

>it doesn't help either when they shit out 12 other buggers that requires food when there's no food either, it's their own fault that they're starving.

Children are often seen as a 'blessing' in many of these cultures because their economic activity is largely agricultural or pastoral or based on basic manual labor.
More children translates into more mouths to feed, yes, but it's also a boon when it comes to labor available to the family. These parts of the world are too poor to afford social security. Having a large family is the only way to support oneself during illness or advanced old-age. In culturally heterogenous parts of the world, an extra incentive toward large families is having a larger community translates into greater influence upon one's society.
Many of these traditional cultures are also highly patriarchic, so families will strive to have as many male children as possible; which increases population growth because couples which don't immediately have a male child will keep trying.
Not to mention high child mortality rates.

The point is, large families aren't the cause of poverty; they were also common in all fully modernized nations today.
High birth-rates are a symptom of poverty. Development has always historically provided economic pressure favoring smaller family sizes.
>>
File: cat.jpg (20 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
20 KB, 400x300
>>474244
>promoting slavery and colonialism
Just because a group translates a text to suit their desires doesn't make it the fault of a set of beliefs.

>shitting on women
In the case of Christianity, women actually gained more social freedom. Ever hear of Perpetua?

>shitting on gays
Nature itself shits on gays. After all, a fully gay population in a tribe would hamper the growth of said tribe. It is, I daresay, more of an evolutionary backlash than hate when one is anti-gay.

>forbidding birth control
You can still buy it at your local CVS.
>>
>>473152
LEI SA CHI È VITTORINO DA FELTRE?
CAPRA
A
P
R
A

Vittorino da Feltre, go google him.
>>
>>476478
If you're implying that Newton's work on gravity is a "low-hanging fruit", I suggest you unfuck yourself.
>>
File: 6784736895784378.jpg (32 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
6784736895784378.jpg
32 KB, 400x400
>what is an investment
>>
>>476471

posts that to a global communications network using a computer, feels intelligent. go back to sharecropping
>>
>>473918
>liberal who doesn't understand investment
>doesn't realize that the art brings people to the church where then collect more tithes
>>
>you have to sacrifice your culture to help the poor
WAT
>>
OP seems mentally handicapped desu. Maybe we shouldn't bully a retard.
>>
>>476529
ja, it was an apple, my dude.
>>
>>473007
Shouldn't this jew be shilling the idea that they sell Israel back to the Palestinians and use that money to feed the whole fucking world?
>>
>>473152
Came from a poor Irish/German family in New England and went to Catholic school from Kindergarten to 8th grade. Go fuck yourself.

Went on a medical mission this past summer to Nepal, guess who built the fucking hospital that the entire town of Banepa uses?

Yea, again... Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>473044
I'm pretty sure that good art justifies itself
>>
>>473007
>How can Christianity claim to be about helping the poor and charity
It doesn't and isn't. It's about Christ's sacrifice on Calvary and the salvation of all mankind.
>>
No way is it even close to 500 billion. I don't think she understand how much money that really is. Regardless I don't think they can sell it for a significant value for what she says it can pay for.
>>
>>473007
Why doesn't Sarah Silverman give away her fortune?
>>
>>474152
She's a complete airhead and anyone who takes this quote at face value is a mouthbreathing failure.
>>
>>473007
I'm not sure whether the biggest cliche here is the fact that she's a jew who feels entitled to other people's money, a comedian who has no idea how economics work, or a woman who isn't funny.
>>
>>480156

A right wing racist, misogynist pig.

Quite the cliche yourself, son.
>>
>>473212
What part of africa are you talking about? For example education in kenya is better than in west africa and education in west africa is better than in Central Africa ...
>>
>>480180

>Virtue signaling on an assyrian topographic map of greenland
>THE CURRENT YEAR

shiggy
>>
>>473053
>handing over great works of art to the Italian government

Terrible idea. Have you seen what's happened to Venice?
>>
File: franciscus.jpg (503 KB, 881x1600) Image search: [Google]
franciscus.jpg
503 KB, 881x1600
Having art makes you more money than selling art because world famous timeless works draw in huge numbers of tourists. It also helps a lot of people. The Sistine chapel indirectly employs maintenance people, gardeners, cab drivers, hotels, pilots, stewardesses, restaurateurs, waiters, nurses et cetera because it draws people in from all over the world. This is for example why recently the Dutch and the French government were bidding against each other to buy paintings because having paintings is good for you economically and if you're doing well economically you're in a position to do things for people.

If anything, doing away with their history would impoverish the Vatican (and Rome for that matter) rather than create any mentionable revenue in the long term.

Of course you have to be a retarded cunt in the first place to think poverty isn't a structural problem and can simply be solved by throwing money at it.
>>
>>480233

Nice memes.
>>
>>473877

Are you fucking stupid? Africans know how to fish, and how to farm. They're not fucking hunter-gatherers. Farming is not the problem. Here, I lived in Liberia my entire childhood, let me give you a rundown of what's causing economic problems there right now.

>Liberia exports the rice she produces and imports rice from China. Liberia does not export "country rice" in large quantities ... red rice that would sell for a premium in the United States and other western countries for its "health value." Liberia's main agricultural goal is to become self-sufficient in terms of rice.
>Liberia imports chicken from Brazil and does not produce chicken because no one grows chicken feed. Presently I know a few people trying to start chicken feed farms , so I hope that becomes a larger trend, and more people start real chicken farms.
Other than chicken and rice, most fruit and vegetables, and all fish that Liberians consume are produced in Liberia and stimulate the economy. However, rice is the staple crop and is still not being used to its potential.

The main issues are in the government.
>Rampant corruption, officials who expect bribes for fucking everything.
>Lazy agriculture department managers who spend most of their time in Monrovia when they should be travelling and making sure that farms are producing at good rates, and growing the right crops for the geographical region in Liberia
>Lebanese middle class(generally run stores, supermarkets, and restaurants) who are not allowed to vote because citizens must be of 'negro descent' and this drives corruption in the government. The only way these Lebanese can have any leverage in the government is by paying large sums of money to Liberian politicians.

These are the problems just in Liberia. I don't know about most of Africa as a whole, but do NOT try to bring your stupid solutions based on mud-hut stereotypes and first-world perspective.
>>
>>480180
Saying women aren't funny isn't misogynist any more than saying pigs can't fly, anon.
>>
File: hello reddit.jpg (660 KB, 3192x2124) Image search: [Google]
hello reddit.jpg
660 KB, 3192x2124
>>473007
This aint /r/atheism OP
>>
>>480280
Don't you lads believe eating the heart of an innocent child will give you magic immunity to bullets and the like?
>>
>>473225
http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/04/americas/american-red-cross-haiti-controversy-propublica-npr/

http://learnbeforeyoudonate.weebly.com/red-cross-scandals.html

http://www.npr.org/2014/10/29/359365276/on-superstorm-sandy-anniversary-red-cross-under-scrutiny

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-walden/the-red-cross-coming-home_b_7653.html

This is JUST the red cross you faggot.
>>
>>473225
>with no potential strings attached.
as long as you become secular humanist liberal democracies and adapt all the values of the west, right?
>>
>>480286
Eh that kinda shit is pretty fringe. Superstition is usually just retarded solutions to diseases and also believing in evil spirits that are coming after you/possess evil people. Or people with HIV/AIDS.

If the regular doctor can't diagnose their illness or something, they'll go to the "witch doctor" and get some weird, dumb solution.

I just hope the retarded beliefs go away with increased education ... already though, the older generation is much more superstitious than the younger one, so I have hope.

Liberia is, at once a very trusting place in this old superstition, and also very suspicious of the government, the UN, and the US government. Which is part of what made Ebola a hard problem to solve, as for some time people didn't even believe it was real, then believed it was a conspiracy, and then finally just wanted to end it.
>>
>>473299
That's not a motto you nimrod
It was a doctrine from the Fourth Lateran Council
The Orthodoxy has it as doctrine too.
And most religions have some equivalent so I'm not sure why you bring that up.
>>
>>478589
Never mind the tithes, the Vatican makes billions every year just selling tickets to tourists who came to gawk at the artworks.
>>
>>475394
>Catholic Communist

I hope this is bait because Communists are enemies of the Church and our Lord and Lady
>See: Revelations of Fatima
>>
File: 1406927558638.gif (2 MB, 317x229) Image search: [Google]
1406927558638.gif
2 MB, 317x229
>>473225
>with no potential strings attached.
>>
>>480662
When to the Vatican two years ago.
They don't sell tickets, you can walk right into the Basilica
The only requirement is they wouldn't let people dressed immodestly enter.
My sister had to put on a jacket and cover her legs with a thing before going in.
>>
>>480719
>My sister had to put on a jacket and cover her legs with a thing before going in.

That's because she is a whore.
>>
>>480719
The museums require tickets
>>
We should all worship Xipe Totec, the Aztec god of flaying! All hail wearing human skin as a coat!
>>
Jesus Christ was the most beautiful idea.

An idea is used to make money.

He was too great to actually exist. An amalgam best of prophets of the time is my best guess.

Old jewy Testament is a shit.

New Testament is glorious, senpai.
>>
>>480719
>The only requirement is they wouldn't let people dressed immodestly enter.
My sister had to put on a jacket and cover her legs with a thing before going in
Based
>>
>>480180
>White Knight incorrectly uses buzzwords and ad homs to defend a female celebrity
Checks out. Thanks for the (you), faggot
>>
Does she imagine the Vatican would disappear and that food would appear out of air instead?
>>
>>480280
>The main issues are in the government.

Instead of donating food and medical aid the West should be investing in creating a foundation for a stable democracy, which lets face it, most of these third world countries cannot handle due to whatever messed up history and social structure they have.

For a generation or so they'd be much better off with a "good" dictator like Atatürk or Lee Kuan Yew.
>>
>>481225
We have enough food to feed the entire human population. We also have many underdeveloped food bowls that have the potential to feed millions more. Coupled with advanced in genetics, automation and farming technology yields are only going to increase. The thing we should be worrying about is water stability.
>>
>>480280
>Lebanese middle class(generally run stores, supermarkets, and restaurants) who are not allowed to vote because citizens must be of 'negro descent' and this drives corruption in the government. The only way these Lebanese can have any leverage in the government is by paying large sums of money to Liberian politicians.
But anon, the Lebanese are still corrupt Levantine puppetmasters and middlemen all over Africa and South America. Voting rights and persecution have nothing to do with it (see also: Jews since WWII.)
>>
File: muh 95 theses.png (1 MB, 1072x736) Image search: [Google]
muh 95 theses.png
1 MB, 1072x736
>>480719
Degenerate whores BTFO
>>
>>473192
>Church helping tens of thousands of poor Africans learn how to read, write and count so they can have brighter futures
>some random spoiled first world brat whines about them indoctrinating them
>>
File: Hated.jpg (21 KB, 480x318) Image search: [Google]
Hated.jpg
21 KB, 480x318
>another day of every denomination of Christianity getting ignored as well as the Church's own actions for fedoralords to bash Christ's church
There's a reason you Orthodox don't get this treatment
Thread replies: 196
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.