[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can people swim in armor?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 10
File: armor falling.jpg (109 KB, 800x537) Image search: [Google]
armor falling.jpg
109 KB, 800x537
Well? Can armored warriors swim while wearing armor? I mean, sure, people were able to do tumbles and jumps while wearing full plate but how about being in water?

I brought this up because I was reading A Sword of Ice and Fire and there's these race of edgelords called Ironborn who wear armor in naval combat because "they do not fear drowning (they worship a sea god)" and also gave them an advantage against other shipborne soldiers, who wore little to no armor.

Lets divide this into armor types shall we?
-Chainmail
-Lamellar armor
-Medieval/Renaissance Full Plate armor.
>>
>>471996
No, iron and steel naturally being much much denser than water people wouldn't be able to swim in armour.

However, in armour made from wood like the samurai wore it is possible to swim.
>>
>>471996
>chainmail
I know who you are
>>
>>471996
I've heard that one of the German tribes could, and the Romans used them to attack across the Rhine against some other Germans.
>>
>>472008
Glorious Nippon beats silly gaijin once again.
>>
>>472033
Doing this regularly would make you stronger than modern humans.
>>
File: swiss honey.png (178 KB, 472x724) Image search: [Google]
swiss honey.png
178 KB, 472x724
>>471996
Read the first paragraph.

Remember that many people in the era of those armors mentioned didn't know how to swim in the first place.
>>
File: batavians.png (46 KB, 681x295) Image search: [Google]
batavians.png
46 KB, 681x295
>>472040
>>
>>471996

I've seen people swim in full plate harnesses, but those were swimming pools, not a high seas adventure when people are fighting around them.

And ASOIF is shit-tier for actual historical discussion. "modern" renaissance fullplate was developed in response to firearms hitting the battlefield,, and it's kind of weird to see a world in which everyone seems to have full armor but there are no guns. And also the weapon technology employed by the knightly class fighting in said armor doesn't seem to be aware of the fact that there's full plate; you have way too many swords (and useless shields) and not enough hammers and swinging polearms.

It would actually probably be harder to swim in mail than in plate; a hauberk won't weigh quite as much as munitions plate, but it won't be a lot less, and unlike the harness, it'll mostly be hanging from your shoulders instead of distributed around your body, pretty much your only chance would be to slip out of it and head for the surface.
>>
>>472096
Was he a Syrian? Or a Batavian in a Syrian legion?
>>
>>471996
In the Battle of Sluys 1340-something pretty much everyone who had full armor fought in it. Falling in the water a few miles from the coast was a death sentence anyways.

The French lost.

>"Jesters could also give bad news to the King that no one else would dare deliver. The best example of this is in 1340, when the French fleet was destroyed at the Battle of Sluys by the English. Phillippe VI's jester told him the English sailors "don't even have the guts to jump into the water like our brave French".
>>
>>472110
Batavian most likely as those guys were the emperors bodyguard and are mentioned crossing rivers in several other texts.
>>
>>472122
Sor(e)-anus

I suppose his name indicates his non-combat role...
>>
>>472127
>>472122
kek
>>
File: britlel.gif (298 KB, 300x199) Image search: [Google]
britlel.gif
298 KB, 300x199
>>472115
>Phillippe VI's jester told him the English sailors "don't even have the guts to jump into the water like our brave French"
>>
>>472376
Jesters m8

>Once, Triboulet could not contain himself and slapped the monarch on the bum. The monarch lost his temper and threatened to execute Triboulet.
>A little later, the monarch calmed down a little and promised to forgive Triboulet if he could think of an apology more insulting than the offending deed.
>A few seconds later, Triboulet responded: "I'm so sorry, your majesty, that I didn't recognize you! I mistook you for the Queen!"
>>
File: jurassic-park-3-alan-raptor.png (218 KB, 612x332) Image search: [Google]
jurassic-park-3-alan-raptor.png
218 KB, 612x332
>>472057

Only if you ate at a caloric surplus and got enough protein.

I.e., not if you only ate a bunch of bread and greens and then game once or twice a week.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>>471996
A Knight of the Table Round can swim a moat in a heavy suit of iron mail.
>>
I saw a youtube clip of a guy swiming in mail armour
>>
>>472057

No it wouldnt.

There is no progressive overload, and it would destroy your knees within 2 months. Plus I think we can assume a lack of proper diet like >>472403 says.

There is a reason nobody uses weighted vests to train anymore - it sucks ass.

t. /fit/
>>
>>473150
>it would destroy your knees within 2 months
>this guy doesn't know the weekly 10% turn up
Dude, you can preserve all your bones and in fact make them stronger if you pace strenuous workouts at increments increasing by 10% every week.
>>
>>473183
I think he means the ligaments in your knees, not the bones.
>>
>>472057
The average soldier now-in-days actually carries a heavier load then an armored knight
>>
>>472047
>Glorious Nippon beats silly gaijin once again.
glorious nippon has never lift in his life, so yes, he better wear woods like an animal.
>>
>>472403
Weren't knights who could afford a suit of armor of a social level where they would be afforded a more balanced diet than the average peasant?

You also have to remember that the peasants ate a good deal of eggs
>>
>>471996
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G10IlXn3Quc

Forgive the cheesy video
its called sueijutsu. I read the last head of a line of kiraku ryu use to wake up early every morning, strap on armor, swam across a nearby river and back, then cleaned and oiled is armor every day.

and the armor was made of interwoven lacquered plates of leather and iron, not wood
>>
>>472008
>samurai wood armor

never existed
>>
>>471996
Frederick Barbarossa m8, don't risk it.
>>
>>473600
neat
>>
File: 1439614214542.jpg (18 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
1439614214542.jpg
18 KB, 500x370
>>473583

It's not improbable but remember, meat was reserved for special occasions even for the rich.
So knights on campaign would not eat meat every day.

You have to remember that these people also lived - a lot - more active lives than we do today. Let's say you need 2000 calories just to maintain your bodyweight. A knight who doesn't sit around at all and spends most of his days on his feet (some of it in armor too) would need maybe 3500 calories.

Furthermore, to actually build muscle you have to progressively break down your muscles with heavier and heavier loads. Don't get me wrong, knights were probably lean and rather ripped, but their diet and excercise was not geared towards building muscle the way modern people can do just by eating meat, beans and lentils every day.

Eggs are good, but there's another thing to take into consideration: Alcohol. Peasants and Knights alike drank almost no water and more or less only alcoholic beverages. Water wasn't fresh like today. Alcohol was considered safe to drink. Alcohol hampers your protein synthesis - I.e., it makes it harder for your body to process protein and form muscles.
>>
File: Houston we have a problem.png (147 KB, 627x572) Image search: [Google]
Houston we have a problem.png
147 KB, 627x572
>>472115
>>472389
Fucking jesters.

Where did you get that from? I need more
>>
>>475904
>Alcohol hampers your protein synthesis - I.e., it makes it harder for your body to process protein and form muscles.

Welp, guess I'm taking a booze break
>>
>>475904
So much stupid shit.

>Let's say you need 2000 calories just to maintain your bodyweight.
200 calories is the reccomendation for an ACTIVE adult male.

Office workers don't need 2000.

>but their diet and excercise was not geared towards building muscle the way modern people can do just by eating meat, beans and lentils every day.

Routionely eating until you have to lossen your belt, and shit like doing a cardio workout in armor with shield, sparring, and (literally) doing handstands on a flat table for extended periods?

They worked out, and hard.

You won't see Mr. Universe in plate, but if you give them a week on campaign to burn the fat off, you WILL see a lot of ripped motherfuckers.

>but there's another thing to take into consideration: Alcohol. Peasants and Knights alike drank almost no water and more or less only alcoholic beverages
2% booze or so. enough to sterilize, not enough to really qualify as drinking.
>>
File: 1327007258897.gif (500 KB, 250x224) Image search: [Google]
1327007258897.gif
500 KB, 250x224
>>479216

Actually, I dare say that you are wrong. And should you argue back, I see no alternative but to settle this the old fashioned way. Have at you!

According to Scooby's calorie counter;
A 25 year old, 170cm tall man who weighs 70 kgs and sits at his desk all day has a calorie maintenance value of 2046 calories. So you are wrong.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

>2% booze or so. enough to sterilize, not enough to really qualify as drinking.

Remember, this is the only thing they are drinking. The only thing. Alcohol would be in their system constantly. It doesn't qualify as being an alcoholic, but alcohol sits in your liver for up to 24 hours.

>Routionely eating until you have to lossen your belt, and shit like doing a cardio workout in armor with shield, sparring, and (literally) doing handstands on a flat table for extended periods?

I'm not saying they don't work out, I don't know where you got that from. I'm just saying that the kind of excercise they did was not geared toward building big muscles, it was geared toward staying in shape which is a lot more useful for them.

Add that to their poor diet and they simply wouldn't grow to be that strong.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.