[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
any fellow archaeologists here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: bbimagehandler.jpg (128 KB, 938x525) Image search: [Google]
bbimagehandler.jpg
128 KB, 938x525
any fellow archaeologists here?
>>
>>470608
Yes, I do a bit of metal detecting and digging myself.
>>
>>470637

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZDxo6ZHR0M
>>
>>470637
lol in my country thats a crime
>>
>>470608
I wanted to actually. I pussied out because Science n shiyeet. Fucked up my thesis.
>>
Yo.
>>
>>470681
spain?
>>
>>470681
>lol in my country thats a crime
same here, but it is a nice hobby and you can make some dosh if you know what you are doing.
>>
>>470715
croatia
>>
>>470711
so..what do you do? whats your field of study?
>>
>>470637
...aye but that's no archaeology, is it?
>>
Second year Ancient Mediterranean Civilisations (archaeology and Classical Studies joint degree) undergrad here.
>>
What's a nice metal detector to get as a starter?

There might be some nice bronze age artifacts around my area.
>>
>>471295
Please don't. Tell an archaeologist. You'll probably just cock it up.
>>
I'm currently a geology major and plan on getting an archeology masters' degree.
Any tips?
Currently reading a book on Celts by Barry Cunliff or something like that.
>>
File: Time_Team_logo.png (11 KB, 202x202) Image search: [Google]
Time_Team_logo.png
11 KB, 202x202
I was contemplating enrolling into archaeology, but decided for political science in the end. I don't really regret it, but I'm still interested in it.

Also, is this the GOAT show, or is it the GOATest?
>>
>>471295

>There might be some nice bronze age artifacts around my area.

nice, you can go smash them to bits because you have no idea what you're doing.
>>
>>471310
I live in Ireland, in the middle of nowhere.

It's not like I'd go to a known area like Tara and start digging up the landscape. If I found something I'd contact a professional.

I just have a feeling that a few places around me have a strategic quality to them that would have been appreciated for settlements during that period.
>>
>>471336
Aye, Cunliff's a smart lad.

I'd recommend the In Our Time podcasts, if you want an introduction to other academics and suchlike.
>>
>>471349
Don't care. Go out with a detector by all means, but don't dig anything up.

If it starts going crazy, tell someone qualified.
>>
>>471295
Fisher F2 is pretty neat for beginners. But do your research to fit you right.
>>
>>471359
>If it starts going crazy, tell someone qualified.
I'm qualified, I read a lot.
>>
>>471349
Because a lot of the really useful stuff isn't metal and isn't really noticeable to a novice.
>>
>>471359
My father studied archaeology.

>>471368
Stop pretending to be me, femme.
>>
>>471368
>I can totally be a great soldier, I've played over 500 hours of CoD

Do you have ANY excavation experience?
>>
>>471349

Then you should inform either the National Museum of Ireland or the Royal Irish Academy. Because of our draconian laws against metal detecting we already have lost an incredible amount of our heritage - illicit detectorists have found some marvellous things over the years and they quickly leave the country. We ought to adopt a scheme like the British PAS (Portable Antiquities Scheme) which whilst not stemming the tide entirely, has done a huge amount for the preservation of British heritage.

Don't be a cunt. We've lost enough.

Going off and digging wherever you like is a dreadful mistake - you'll almost certainly fuck the stratigraphy and damage the archaeological context such that anything you do find is rendered far less historically valuable.
>>
First year student here, trying to decide what field to specialize in. If I was a yank I'd like to turn more towards what you call anthropology, sadly that means something different in my country. Currently I'm probably leaning towards osteology or this Global archaeology program that my uni has.
>>
>>471377
>Do you have ANY excavation experience?
Sure, I find a lot. I got a couple horse shoes from Napoleonic era, I found some roman coins, one was really valuable, and I found a fibula that also fetched a high price. Got some other nice stuff too.
>>
>>471380
I agree with you there, but I would not be pocketing the finds.

I don't think they're very interested in excavating the places I'd search. Boggy fields that haven't been turned in decades, with no historical proof to solicit a dig.

I'd love for them to find something as a result of my search.
>>
>>471404
That's not excavation. That's just digging some shit up you've found with a metal detector.

Have you actually been on an actual archaeological dig, overseen by actual archaeologists who actually know what they're doing?
>>
>>471404
Cause it's the difference between being a dentist and pulling teeth out with a piece of string and a door.
>>
File: 57337-teknetics-delta-40005.jpg (95 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
57337-teknetics-delta-40005.jpg
95 KB, 500x500
>>471414
Hey, I excavate antics, this is a beautifull hobby, I read about history, spend a lot of time at the fresh air, met interesting people and make quite a bit of money with it.
Whats not to like?

>>471295
Teknetics Delta is a good entry level model. A cousin of mine bought one and he really like it.
>>
Fucking detectorists.
>>
>>471431
>Whats not to like?

THE FACT YOU'RE DESTROYING VALUABLE SCIENTIFIC DATA AND HERITAGE FOR A FUCKING HOBBY, YOU UTTER CUNT.
>>
>>471431
You're not better than that little Chinese shit who scratched his name onto that Egyptian temple.
>>
>>471440
Hey, I save those objects! Without me they would be rotting for eternity in some field! Now they are nice and in some dudes collection who is really knowledgeable about them. I serve science!
>>
>>471456
Okay, I get you're just baiting now, but please don't because some other cunt is going to come along and actually take that on board.
>>
>>471447
>>471440
>You're not better than that little Chinese shit who scratched his name onto that Egyptian temple.

someone already studied that temple and there was no additional info to be gathered that the child destroyed.

small informations can be gathered about the position(geographical AND up to the centimeter) depth of an item you find and by dragging it into your house you destroy that bit of information which is actually more important than a piece of rust.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.