[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is art?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: 182b255d4398316645b2d105d177ba.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
182b255d4398316645b2d105d177ba.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
What is art?
>>
>>468265
Go read Aristotle and Lukacs and get back to us when you can meet the requirements of the sticky.
>>
>>468265
subjective
>>
>>468265
Combinations of sensations that work combine in a way that creates meaning for people.
>>
In before "whatever looks most like a thing"
>>
>>468265
Today is "the best way of annoying people",but the important is in the essence of that annoyance.
>>
>>468265
Something that someone makes for someone else to enjoy. If it's not meant to be enjoyed, or it's not physical, then it's not art.
>>
>>468265
Whatever you want it to be sempai,
>>
>>469020
>or it's not physical
Music is not art?
>>
>>469269
>music isn't physical

What I'm saying is that an abstract idea or concept cannot be art.
>>
File: babbyart.png (106 KB, 670x788) Image search: [Google]
babbyart.png
106 KB, 670x788
>>468265
Sensory stimuli that triggers emotions. Emotions are not entirely due to innate instincts but also people's life experiences which adds something intellectual to it.

It used to be almost entirely about beauty but in the modern age free from stressors people like to get adrenaline thrills from shock value "art". This would be alright if it involved talent, creativity and inspiration and it was alongside art created for beauty, unfortunately shock has mostly supplanted beauty, creativity has been substituted by randomness and celebrities replace talent (at least the famous artists of the past were classically trained).

Good art is out there but it is very difficult to find.
>>
File: Clipping_CLPPNG.jpg (432 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
Clipping_CLPPNG.jpg
432 KB, 960x960
>>469295
>an abstract idea or concept cannot be art.
Why not? It can be very beautiful.
>>
>>469311
Things that aren't art can be beautiful. It is not art because it cannot be created.
>>
>>468265
Accessible pieces of externalized ideology
>>
Anything you create and don't discover
>>
>>469297
Hi grandpa
>>
A way to consreve and Transport Emoticons, aswell as a way to Entertainer and creat meaning in the Life of the artist and other people.
>>
>>471567
Fucking autocorrection. Emotions and not Emoticons.
>>
>>469295
tile-lover.jpg
>>
>>468265
>What is art?

Something created for the specific reason of invoking emotions beyond the purely animalistic ones like anger.

An example could be a piece of music that gives you awe.
>>
>>468267

I'm sorry but that answer isn't either 'subjective' or 'relative', and as such is wrong.
>>
1. (uncountable) The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colours, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the senses and emotions, usually specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium.

2. (countable) Skillful creative activity, usually with an aesthetic focus.

It's not a value judgment, most of all. It's just something you fucking create for emotional or creative reasons.
>>
>>473131
>It's not a value judgment, most of all. It's just something you fucking create for emotional or creative reasons.

These two sentences seem oxymoronic to me. How is quantifying what is beautiful not a value judgement?
>>
>>473137
Art doesn't have to be beautiful, it just has to be a creative work designed to invoke some feeling or emotion. A value judgment would be that art has to be beautiful and if it's not it isn't art.
>>
>>473158
So you're saying a movie created to instill the watcher with the horrors of the genocide in Cambodia, does not constitute art because it contains a value judgement about genocide?
>>
>>473171
I'm talking by how art is defined. Something being art doesn't mean it's good or bad or beautiful or ugly, it just means that definition I gave. A work of art can have its own value judgment, but its judgment doesn't make it art; you judge the art based upon its success on what it was aiming to do, not whether you like it or not. If the film about the horrors of genocide invoked the desired feelings in me, that would make it a good piece of art, but it would be art regardless of whether it succeed or whether I even liked it.
>>
>>473201
Fair enough, and I concur with you now.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.