[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does sociology and anthropology explain a community like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: images.png (3 KB, 127x127) Image search: [Google]
images.png
3 KB, 127x127
How does sociology and anthropology explain a community like 4chan, have any serious studies been made about it?

I mean its pretty unique

>The site is completely 100% free and doesn't benefit anyone (other than paid shills and gookmoot)
>Everyone acts completely on their own volition (other than paid shills and gookmoot)
>The site is completely homogeneous in the sense we are all anonymous
>Anyone who seeks to not to be equal gets degraded and ostracized (Tripfags grills)
>Its only allowed to demonstrate identity individuality when the situation calls for it and even then it still has a negative connotation which is why the fag suffix is used and also tits or GTFO
>Being an individual is not inherently wrong, only trying to benefit from such individuality is wrong
>Even when there are flags people identify the user as an anonymous member living in x place not a member of x place who browses the site, (anon from x country, x country anon, xfag)
>Everyone recognize the rights they have and the rights everyone else has
>Everyone understand that the rights come from themselves and the society as a whole (the site) and not from a written piece by an authority figure as the society couldn't possibly function without them (muh free speech)
>Everyone challenges authority and anything they deem unfair (mods are fags)
>have developed norms that are different from that moot has written and won't give up until they get bored (change proxies/reset ip)
>Everyone recognizes the site is more than themselves
>>
>>460472
>Everyone repress anyone who breaks the self imposed rules
>The conduct code is so developed , everyone recognize the appropriate rulling for every given transgression (derail, sage, posting gore to force delete or repel users, report,etc)
>Even those who violate the laws recognize by themselves that they are shitposters and are guilty of doing something wrong
>Everyone because of the aforementioned points believes in a universal sets of values that are at the same time amoral
>Morality doesn't exists in 4chan, you could literally watch some of the most fucked up stuff you could see in your life without bating an eye and no one considers posting that in the site is something wrong to do. (Muf feels is used to call out on this)
>Everything is weighted by logic, its worth and nothing else. Depending on the reason/perspective and quality of the fucked up content it could be embraced or the poster will be ridiculed.The intolerance is the mechanism through which the society regulates itself
>Theres only prejudice and aversion towards that which could harm the society norms and thus the entirety of the userbase
>The culture and thought of the original population is held in the highest regard irregardless of time (oldfags)
>migrants will forever be not the original population (newfags)
>Migrants must demonstrate a self desire to be part of the community to be accepted (Lurk moar, no spoonfeding)
>>
>>460482
>4chan has proved that multiculturalism doesn't work, what ends up happening whenever theres a migration is that the migrants change the place culture to be their own (/co/umblr) to make it fit their view. This was held as the truth long before it started being a thing worldwide
>Only through constant repression (Back to reddit) the society and culture perseveres and doesn't get assimilated
>Although the mass migrants have absolutely no respect about the traditions and norms of the site and it shows in the last years.
>4chan has proved through memes there are universal things every human acknowledge. A lot of the stuff from here ended up reaching the entire planet.
>4chan has also proven and always believed that capitalism be it in any sense, material or immaterial, the idea of gaining being a motivator is fundamentally flawed and harmful. No good content ends up being created only that which yields more gain of whatever the poster seeks. In reddit karma, a shill marketing its product or other product hits, vews, sales,etc.
>>
>>460487
There is nothing wrong with Reddit.
>>
>>460487
To be fair cultures are constantly evolving anyway. See /poltv/.
>>
File: pure_ideology.gif (937 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
pure_ideology.gif
937 KB, 500x300
>>
>>460487
>>4chan has also proven and always believed that capitalism be it in any sense, material or immaterial, the idea of gaining being a motivator is fundamentally flawed and harmful
I thought this had potential, but you faggots always need to make the weakest point the last, so I read everything up until the end.

Jesus Christ, a hugbox forum is not in any form capitalism.
>>
>>460746
>l. No good content ends up being created only that which yields more gain of whatever the poster seeks. In reddit karma, a shill marketing its product or other product hits, vews, sales,etc.
>>
>>460756
>Jesus Christ, a hugbox forum is not in any form capitalism.
I can be lazy too.
>>
>>460746
Perhaps you should look into how modern Google advertising works oh wise one.
Or at least watch the new South Park season. Capitalism loves hugboxes, companies can more easily understand how to sell them something whether it be an idea or an actual product, compared to something more individualistic. Also helps to keep the hegemony. Instead of blaming the rich capitalist they will blame the other hugbox for invading their Hugbox, while being simultaneously shilled by two faces of the same conmen. See /pol/ vs /tumblr/ as a prime example
>>
>>460776
This only proves the outstanding fact that leddit is a hugbox forum created and thriving inside a capitalistic society. And you may noticed that your beloved communistic shithole, called 4chan, has something very capitalistic, fucking ads.

Also, the barely regulated exchange of information on this site comes the free market much closer than the heavily moderated, as far as I know, structures of reddit. And posters here can do create content, whatever this actually means, for very selfish reasons. Namely (You)'s, for instance.
>>
>>460773
I dont understand what you don't get

The moment that anyone tries to profit from something in 4chan and take advantage from it they get repelled even if people originally liked the product.

If posting a particular thing on a board gave a reward you could bet your ass that board would be spammed to death with that particular topic. Which is why evryone hates fonnies, faggots, ponies who kept spamming every board

Its not even a new concept. Back then people tried to force memes to feel they have accomplished something or to gain efame. The content could be shit for all the poster cared, all that mattered is that it became a thing and it never did because the community called them out and there weren't informal archives advertising 4chan content to the whole world since people would also dox the owner of the site, DDOS,etc

The community erodes and dies since what binds them together is not each other but money, people cease to be equal, some take advantage from others.

Once they figure out what gets the most hits theyll figure out why and when that happens you end up with endless repetitions of the same

If you want to know how everything works beyond any doubt, go check how Valve's business model works especially the one from Dota 2
>>
>>460789
>4chan
>Communists

>Namely (You)'s, for instance.
He would then be called out for being an attention whore

>Also, the barely regulated exchange of information on this site comes the free market much closer than the heavily moderated
Its not free market , its not a market, theres nothing to gain.
>>
>>460799
>I dont understand what you don't get
And I don't get your strange premise on what capitalism has to do with two sites on the internet which both are part of a capitalistic society but have different user-bases.

>The moment that anyone tries to profit from something in 4chan and take advantage from it they get repelled even if people originally liked the product. Ads are still here. Moot at some points had to beg for money. This site still here and the reason is because it creates revenue. Also, shills still work here. They get called out for it because 4chan is a bit less stupid. But sometimes they do a good job.

>If posting a particular thing on a board gave a reward you could bet your ass that board would be spammed to death with that particular topic. Which is why evryone hates fonnies, faggots, ponies who kept spamming every board
And yet lol-threads on /v/ are still a thing.

>Its not even a new concept. Back then people tried to force memes to feel they have accomplished something or to gain yadda yadda post too long
This site also has produced shit content and spammed it to death, advice dog of instance. Why it didn't get much attraction outside of this site, I don't know. Won't open a book about economy to get answers, though.

>>460810
>He would then be called out for being an attention whore
Not always. Sometimes you can get a really funny post and anons voluntarily give him (You)'s with reaction images. Sometimes some anon just creates a post that gives other anons an opportunity to post, like roll-images or gives them the opportunity to talk about themselves.

>Its not free market , its not a market, theres nothing to gain.
And such is reddits karma. Which is why I'm doing this. It's stupid. There is nothing intrinsic capitalistic in both these sites, only that they are created in a capitalistic society and operate on some of their rules. It's stupid to politicize them to such a high degree.
>>
>>460857
My post is a mess, sorry for that.
>>
>>460857
>And I don't get your strange premise on what capitalism has to do with two sites on the internet which both are part of a capitalistic society but have different user-bases.

>Greed being the main motivator for something is harmful towards the community
>Capitalism has this as the fundamental principle behind the entirety of its dogma
>W
>And yet lol-threads on /v/
Lol threads as in buckleys edits? Those are a tradition and if you are talking about the viral marketing

>>460472

>The site is completely 100% free and doesn't benefit anyone (other than paid shills and gookmoot)
>Everyone acts completely on their own volition (other than paid shills and gookmoot)

>This site also has produced shit content and spammed it to death, advice dog of instance.
And when whoever was pushing it got bored it died and was not heard of ever again same with all the modern video games threads. The moment they cease to spam it it dies. Since the admin has always profited from this theres not much that can be done user side
>>
>>460857
>Not always. Sometimes you can get a really funny post and anons voluntarily give him (You)'s with reaction images. Sometimes some anon just creates a post that gives other anons an opportunity to post, like roll-images or gives them the opportunity to talk about themselves.
Then he made a worthy contribution or just made some users laugh or be entertained

How is this a problem? The problem arises when what he posted is shit

>And such is reddits karma. Which is why I'm doing this. It's stupid. There is nothing intrinsic capitalistic in both these sites

>4chan
>You gain absolutely nothing at all and whatever you wrote is forgotten unless someone actually goes to the archive or is actually extremely good

>reddit
>you get karma for being a good goy
>You get upvotes for respecting your masters and the hivemind
>whatever gets upvoted the most is the first visible thing
>Following a conversation is extremely hard given the layout
>if you write something that goes against the hivemind you get downvotes and your comment gets hidden
>Theres something that denotes your opinion is inferior or superior without giving any reason to why
>Everything you write can be checked by clicking on the username and used against you despite it might not have been to do with anything that is being talked about
>Whatever gets posted keeps being up until it stops getting replies or upvotes
>If it gets too many it ends up stickied in the front page
>The whole system is extremely easy to manipulate
>The mods don't have to answer to no one
>They can censor and theres nothing you can do about it
>>
>>460894
And nothing you posted has anything to do with capitalism.

>>You gain absolutely nothing at all
But I get this nice, wam fuzzy feeling when someone replies to my post. Especially if my post was helpful, funny or in some way remarkable and the one replying let's me know it. People crave attention, even on this site. And it's yet again reddits hugbox mentality that makes it more cancerous and causes this to get out of hand.
>>
>>460907

>>460882

>And nothing you posted has anything to do with capitalism.
>Greed being the main motivator for something is harmful towards the community
>Capitalism has this as the fundamental principle behind the entirety of its dogma

>But I get this nice, wam fuzzy feeling when someone replies to my post. Especially if my post was helpful, funny or in some way remarkable and the one replying let's me know it. People crave attention, even on this site. And it's yet again reddits hugbox mentality that makes it more cancerous and causes this to get out of hand.
So you get a warm feeling for making an effort of creating something worthy and being part of a community?

How is that capitalist?

And not you can't force memes

>>460482

>Everything is weighted by logic, its worth and nothing else. Depending on the reason/perspective and quality of the fucked up content it could be embraced or the poster will be ridiculed.The intolerance is the mechanism through which the society regulates itself

And no its not a hivemind

>>460472
>Everyone recognize the rights they have and the rights everyone else has
>Everyone understand that the rights come from themselves and the society as a whole (the site) and not from a written piece by an authority figure as the society couldn't possibly function without them (muh free speech)
>Everyone recognizes the site is more than themselves

>>460482
>Theres only prejudice and aversion towards that which could harm the society norms and thus the entirety of the userbase
>>
>>460472
this is more a case of life imitating art

people change their behavior to counter trolls and bait, memes help newcomers learn how to do the same, in this way 4chan influences its community
>>
>>460971
If that was the case this site would've already turned into tumblr or whatever anyone with an agenda wanted it to become
>>
4chan is what happens when a graffiti wall becomes ridiculously huge and multi-layered.
>>
>>460907
Confirmed shill redditor
>>
I made an study on /pol/ nazis for my anthropology class at uni, got a 10/10, teacher stunned, would post but its almost entirely written in spanish
>>
>>461486
tl:dr in english?
>>
Shared intrests can be discussed (usually without ad hominem attacks). Anonymity makes it possible to utter unpopular opinions and to discuss them more objectively than IRL.
>>
>>461486
Pasame un link si puedes compadre
>>
Sociology is pseudoscience.
>>
The theory of diffusion shows itself with 7 and 8 chan.
>>
>>460789
Ads on 4chan are separate from the content.

The content of reddit is literally just ads.
>>
>>461952

Nice meme
>>
>>462098

Get adblock senpai
>>
>>462103
I'm saying the content of every message, everything that people post, is basically adverts.

Reddit spreads the doxa, spreads a particular moralized consumerist culture, the your-maple-syrup-flavored-coffee-saves-little-niglets culture, and spreads it well. There is no necessity for actual, obvious ads recognized as such on reddits; for the content is naught but a repetition of this single line of thought: consume new, consume now, consume good.

The content of 4chan is deeply subversive to this type of ideologies; and this is why Reddit culture must be kept away from 4chan. It isn't only the culture of a bunch of "normies" or "kids", it is simply capitalistic, stock-photography culture turned into a form of discourse on the internet.
>>
>>462114

It's not actually happening only through reddit, the over and common use of adblock is transferring the ad into the content in itself

Being subversive as 4chan makes peoples feel special and different than the reddit way of acting but they're not.
>>
>>462114
(cont.)

4chan formed as a reaction against the "desert of the real", it is how it literally came about. As an attempt to refute a normative and bland capitalist society. There was no dialectical opposition from 4chan, as there is on reddit or tumblr; 4chan never stood in direct opposite to consumerist culture; for the "negation" of capitalism only further spreads and justifies capitalist ideology. 4chan was more than that; 4chan was, at its inception, a mostly infantile and complete rejection of all of that was part of the "adult world", and its baseness. It was the attempt to form a whole different, non-ideological "society", and succeeded at doing so. Now, it's been 10 years or so, and the /b/ which tried to perform such a "coup" is long-dead (I would place its death around 2011), and the bulk of actual users of 4chan migrated to more specialized boards, namely /mu/, /lit/, /tv/, with the more retarded and "hardcore" crowd going to /pol/.

/pol/ still serves the same purpose as /b/ once did; it tries to be as contrarian, and as opposed to the "outside world" as possible. The only sad thing is that being conservative and "traditionalist" if such a thing be, is what is now being considered "contrarian".
>>
>>460472
>and also tits or GTFO
There are still boards that do this?
>>
>>462139

But it keeps the youth trying to make their own reality out of the real world through a fuking internet board. As some people say in /pol/ the majority of young white male people spend their time in their parents' basements on computer -- i've seen it during Christmas party with family -- by creating this ''non-ideological'' ideal type of acting we're not taking care of the society in itself; maybe that's why there's so many leftist out there and humanity ennemies.
>>
>>460487
>4chan has proved that multiculturalism doesn't work

well that explains why there are several diffrent types of cultures (boards) on this site
sure they all share the "parentculture" wich basically boils down to greentext a few words used to express emotion and understanding the valuve that anonymity has

i would argue that 4chan is the most multicultural "place" on earth simply because there are so many vastly diffrent cultures that come here

also if you wonder how it all works, happend and hangs together its quite simply because of anonymity nothing els nothing more
>>
File: weber.jpg (243 KB, 940x1384) Image search: [Google]
weber.jpg
243 KB, 940x1384
>>460472
>have any serious studies been made about it?
There's a bunch of hits on Google Scholar, but it's a bit of work to pick out the more focused ones; English/international (qualitative) sociology is pretty hit or miss depending on how much of cultural studies' free associations they incorporate (I'm biased, but if you know the language and do want to read up existing stuff, you might want to start with papers in German, possibly French).

Ethnographies do seem to exist, but I doubt they're very in-depth. I didn't see any conversation analyses which is a bit of a shame because 4chan would be pretty interesting to research in that regard (for the reasons you already listed).
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.