[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What single action has had the greatest effect on the modern world?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (681 KB, 600x952) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
681 KB, 600x952
What single action has had the greatest effect on the modern world?
>>
>>456051
>effect
Either the big bang or god depending on your cosmology.

You meant affect.
>>
First self replication of a atom.
>>
Gavrilo Princip pressing the trigger.
>>
when princip ordered that sandwich
>>
>>456064
>ef·fect
>əˈfekt/
>noun

>af·fect1
>əˈfekt/
>verb

Unless you mean
>emotion or desire, especially as influencing behavior or action.
As in affectation
>>
>>456130
Effect, as a verb, is to cause.
Affect, as a verb, is to influence.

Effect, as a noun, is the result of a cause.
Affect, as a noun, is an emotional state, usually caused by art or literature.
>>
Sulla
>>
>>456150
Thnx desu
>>
>>456051
The birth of Jesus
>>
>>456068
>self replication
>>
>>456051
Teutoberg Forest
>>
>>456051
War was inevitable, he was just the spark that set off the chain of reactions that led to it at the time.
>>
>>456159
You're welcome mate, it is a difficult one.
>>
>>456330
Arminius short sighted betrayal cost him his life.And don't forget Germanicus rampage on german land.
>>
>>456425
Quite true. Thank you for expanding on my point.
>>
>>456064
>god
>cosmology
It's turtles.
>>
Capitus diminutio maxima.
>>
The twisting of fibers into rope.
>>
File: Jackson-Portrait.jpg (702 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
Jackson-Portrait.jpg
702 KB, 1500x1125
>>456051
Screw all you eggheads and your smart-ass joke answers and vagueness. I'm asking real questions now:

What was a huge-ass consequence to an action performed by some person in history? It can also be a group of people. It can be an action that seemed insignificant at the time, or something the dude KNEW was gonna be a huge deal (such as dropping a nuke)

Are there some that were so huge, we still feel them today?

What was an awesome one that saved a shitload of trouble?

What was an awful choice we will never recover from?

Consider me some stupid hick and explain it to me as you would some common layman.
>>
>>456525
480bc
The battle of salamis
Literally would be Greece last stand (outnumbered , been running and surrender in consecutive battles for so long) and the end of ancient democracy as an active concept
But xerxes and his fleet got wrecked
Persia came back a year later in turkey but chit wrecked again
Western civilization would have been greatly different
>>
>>456096
>>456125
these
>>
>>456150
Please explain how he really meant "affect"
>>
>>456610
Do you honestly fucking believe that the Great War WOUDNT have happened if Ferdinand hadn't been assasinated?
Cmon
>>
>>456626
There is only one real cause that effected all things: the Big Bang. Human actions influence other human actions, they affect them.
>>
Taking into account the butterfly effect, it was probably something that someone did before recorded history
>>
>>456637
That's a retarded semantic argument based on not knowing the actual definition of words, and trying to base your argument on what you think the essence of those words is. Look up the definition of effect, cause, and real.
>>
>>456355
This.

Europe was very wary of Germany, hence France and Russia becoming allies. Germany knew it had to start a war soon in order to ever hope of beating Russia. Every nation was blind to the scale and consequences of modern war and weapons. England was looking for an excuse to keep Germany from surpassing it in the long run.
>>
>>456631
Meant thanks to this post.
>>
>>456051
Never. The assassination of Franz Ferdinand was a cause, but there were much greater roots of the conflict.
>>
>>456637
>effected
>verb
>is the same thing as effect
>noun
>as used by the op
>>
>>456051

you know that one guy who picked up a fucking rock and started hitting things a long time ago?

That.
>>
>>456525

Alexander dying under mysterious circumstances in 323 BC.

The historical consequences could fill an entire library.
>>
>>456658
I've already described the four different words and their uses.
>>
>>456747
>hurr theres only one cause
>the effect isnt the cause in a chain of cause and effect
>durr
>>
>>456154
Marius
>>
>>456679
not much of one; they'd be evened out by now
>>
Someone who could have changed history, is possible julian the apostate
>>
>>456774
Back in my day we took the "create" portion of effect seriously.

Then again, back in my day we lost a grade over fucking up effect/affect.
>>
>>456781

It would have affected everything that followed for hundreds and hundreds of years. It could have precluded the rise of Rome and the appearance of Muhammad in Arabia
>>
>>456051

Creating Atomic bombs
>>
>>456777
Marius got cucked by Sulla hard, it was Sulla sparing Caesar I was specifically referring too
>>
>>456631
No, but Op asked for actions that had great consequences. WW1 was an indirect consequence of Gavrilo's stint.
>>
A certain unnamed Munich police officer being a better shot in November 1923.
>>
>>456051
Invention
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.